I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:36:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  POLL: Causes of kidney failure / disease - Please see if yours is shown here.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: POLL: Causes of kidney failure / disease - Please see if yours is shown here.  (Read 140124 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: December 14, 2007, 11:13:05 AM »

I hope I didn't leave anything out, please let me know. Feel free to explain.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 11:25:52 AM »

Hmm its seems like i am in the 'majority' here ! I wonder if they just lump us all together because they cant give us any explanation or reason as to why its happened ? Focal Glomerulosclerosis is looking mighty popular ! I wonder should we take this poll a step futher and ask what reasons they gave you when this was diagnosed ? I myself have never been given a reason for kidney failure .. one day fit and healthy , get up next morning .. i got kidney failure !! yup that fast .. no outward signs or illness , all overnight it happened !!

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 11:39:02 AM »

Wow, Karol, you are certainly thorough! I hope more people participate in this, I'd love to see it all in "poll" form.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
KR Cincy

Home hemodialysis since May 07

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 11:39:41 AM »

Ummm...lemmee see...I started with PKD, but it was cancer that developed in both kidneys that caused those nice men to take them out of me. I voted for cancer because I could have kept going with the PKD for a while longer. This is a very interesting poll though...amazing how many possibilities there are.

Not giving up...thanks to Susan.
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 12:05:28 PM »

I'm FSGS. I didn't originally get an explanation, but now it turns out that it's sometimes hereditary. My nephew was diagnosed a few months ago.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 12:10:53 PM »

Type 1 diabetes  :thumbdown;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Psim

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 01:03:55 PM »

I got it from primary hyperparathyroidism. Which I guess is really uncommon. I had it, undiagnosed, for about 10 years -- there were quite a few opportunities for it to be caught before it took my kidneys out, but hey, my medical clinic mislaid my bloodwork for 5 years.  :rofl;
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 02:43:11 PM »

Hey, you left out Henoch-Schoenlein Purpura, the type of renal failure that killed Mozart!  It is not a statistically important cause of renal failure, but I had to mention it because I just love to say, "Henoch-Schoenlein."  "Schoenlein" is also German for "pretty little thing," a term of endearment sometimes used among lovers there, but it does not describe the horrors of that disease very well!
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 03:34:12 PM »

IgM  mesangial proliferative glomerulonephritis
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 04:01:49 PM »

Hey, you left out Henoch-Schoenlein Purpura, the type of renal failure that killed Mozart!  It is not a statistically important cause of renal failure, but I had to mention it because I just love to say, "Henoch-Schoenlein."

Gee, and all this time I thought it was called, "Hammacher Schlemmer Syndrome."
 ;)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 04:22:32 PM »

My husband had Sepsis Shock (Blood Infection) and all his organs were failing. He died on me a couple of times. His liver, heart, gallbladder, spleen, stomach all managed to recover. His kidneys did not.

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
George Jung

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 04:55:36 PM »

Hey, you left out Henoch-Schoenlein Purpura, the type of renal failure that killed Mozart!  It is not a statistically important cause of renal failure, but I had to mention it because I just love to say, "Henoch-Schoenlein."

;)

A catalog service?   ???
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 05:09:34 PM »

Interesting poll. Hope lots of people participate so we can see results.Goodpastures Syndrome was my downfall.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 08:19:58 PM »

polycystic  bit  me  on  the  backside. :yahoo;

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
brenda

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 08:53:24 PM »

Undiagnosed reflux for many years.

Life is what happens while your making other plans.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2007, 09:32:17 PM »

;)

A catalog service?   ???

It was a joke, George.    ;)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007, 10:03:40 PM »

I had to say 'other' because the cause of my renal failure is two of the items (and I could only click one) and especially the side effect of the medications that I was using for these conditions.
Only as I re-read the poll, that I see my third cause is also there - analgesic nephropathy/drugs
Well these are my three causes.
Should I vote three times?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 10:06:37 PM by bajanne2000 » Logged

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
MattyBoy100

What's dialysis?

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2007, 09:04:56 AM »

As for me, it is only believed to be Alports Syndrome as my Uncle had it too along with deafness as do I.  We're not sure though as the tissue in my biopsy was too far gone for them to be sure.  The symptoms however, all support Alports and what is interesting is that I was initially given anti - inflammotary pain killers for foot pain which may or may not have killed off any remaining kidney function I had left.

SCOTLAND NO.1
BigSteve

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2007, 11:42:23 AM »

I voted twice since one kidney was taken out because of Renal Cell Carcinoma, and the other
slowly lost function over the next seven years. I assume it was from hypertension, but BPH is mentioned
in the poll. Can anyone give me information of BPH and loss of kidney funcion?

"I yam what I yam what I yam." Popeye's immortal words.
"Getting and spending we lay waste our powers"
If it's too big to fail, it's too big to exist.
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2007, 01:09:47 PM »

Mine was hypertension......so they say

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
Thalia

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2007, 06:34:22 PM »

we always thought it was the diabetes an hypertension that caused my Mom's kidney disease..however her cardiologist..believes it  could be caused by amyloidosis for which she tested positive..apparently this is his "pet" theory...

What is Amyloidosis?

Amyloidosis is a group of diseases in which one or more organ systems in the body accumulate deposits of abnormal proteins. The name "amyloidosis" was first used more than 100 years ago but cases were described over 300 years ago. However, only within the past 20 years have physicians understood the specific make-up and structure of amyloid protein. Although amyloidosis is not cancer, it is very serious. It may be disabling or life threatening. However, growing awareness of the condition seems to be leading to substantial new research and treatment alternatives.

There are three major types of amyloidosis that are all very different from each other:

1. PRIMARY AMYLOIDOSIS is a plasma cell disorder which originates in the bone marrow and is usually treated with chemotherapy. It is the most common type of amyloidosis in the United States, with estimates of up to 2000 cases diagnosed each year, and occasionally occurs with multiple myeloma. The deposits in this type of the disease are made up of immunoglobulin light chain proteins which may be deposited in any bodily tissues or organs. The disease results when enough amyloid protein builds up in one or more organs to cause the organ(s) to malfunction. The heart, kidneys, nervous system and gastrointestinal tract are most often affected.

Normally, bone marrow makes protective antibodies, which are proteins that protect against infection and disease. After they have served their function, these antibodies are broken down and recycled in the body. With amyloidosis, cells in the bone marrow produce antibodies that cannot be broken down. These antibodies then begin to build up in the bloodstream. Ultimately, they leave the bloodstream and can deposit in the tissues or organs as amyloid.

2. SECONDARY AMYLOIDOSIS is caused by a chronic infection or inflammatory disease such as rheumatoid arthritis, familial Mediterranean fever, osteomyelitis, or granulomatous ileitis. The deposits in this type of the disease are made up of a protein called the AA protein. Medical or surgical treatment of the underlying chronic infection or inflammatory disease can slow or stop the progression of this type of amyloid.

3. FAMILIAL (or HEREDITARY) AMYLOIDOSIS is the only type of amyloidosis that is inherited. It is a rare form of the disease which is found in families of nearly every ethnic background. The deposits in this type are most commonly made up of the transthyretin protein which is manufactured in the liver. It is a mutation of such a protein that causes this form of amyloidosis.

4. OTHER TYPES OF AMYLOIDOSIS include localized amyloid, b2 micro globulin amyloid, and Alzheimer's disease. Localized types of amyloidosis are associated with hormone proteins, aging, or specific areas of the body, and have not been found to have systemic implications. The type of amyloidosis which is due to the b2 micro globulin protein may affect people who have been on dialysis for a significant length of time. In Alzheimer's disease, the amyloid protein in the brain is called the b-amyloid protein.

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2007, 04:59:22 AM »

FSGS no explanation
BobT1939

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2007, 07:53:47 AM »

I listed under "other". My kidney problem came from extensive chemotherapy with platinum compounds for testicular cancer administered between 1978 and 1983. Dialysis commenced December, 2007./bobt

BobT
mcjane

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2007, 03:25:37 PM »

Zack      :clap;  Good one, funny, made me LOL.

okarol....great post, good idea.

One category missing...incompetence.

I will always believe if my husband had of had a better doctor this would have never happened to him.  He had hypertension & eventually was put on Aransep (sp) but never told why, what it was for or given any dietary instructions or even that his kidneys were failing. When he became so critically ill we had no idea he was in kidney failure.
st789

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2007, 03:36:19 PM »

IgA nephropathy :banghead;
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »