I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 07:22:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Rants?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rants?  (Read 11287 times)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« on: December 12, 2007, 10:22:21 PM »

I was recently PM'd by a member, who shall remain nameless, who has the opinion that my ranting and complaining is not appropriate for this forum. If I have offended anyone, I am sorry, But many of you know the hell I have been through. I believe that it was Epoman's intention that IHD is a safe place for us to express ourselves. What do you all think?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 10:27:21 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
mariannas

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 10:38:12 PM »

You've certainly never offended me!  I thought that was what IHD was for...a place for those of us with kidney disease to rant when there isn't often another alternative. 
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 10:40:55 PM »

Kit, anyone that knows you has seen what you have been through the last year and a half.  I think I can speak for many members when I say that we support your right to rant and share and do whatever it takes to help you to cope. I don't know who wrote to you, but it's obviously someone who hasn't been around long enough to know what this forum is all about. Epoman wrote on the IHD home page " I created the site for myself and others to have a voice on the internet free from censorship. Do not let the sites name fool you, we are not about being negative, we just hate dialysis. We are a community that is very supportive of each other and we help new patients and veterans of this disease cope with the daily struggles of living with kidney disease. If you are affected by kidney disease you are welcome here." I hope you keep on being yourself, and feel comfortable enough to keep sharing. You know I love you!
 :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
angellady07

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 10:41:13 PM »

Feel free to rant, Kitkatz. That's what makes IHD so wonderful we can openly discuss our feelings good or bad. We are here to support each other.  :cuddle;
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 11:15:37 PM »

The others have said it all, you say just what you want girl   :clap; - that's what this site is for!!  If someone doesn't like it they don't have to read any further!   :santahat;
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 11:36:59 PM »

I agree with what everyone has said already - RANT AWAY!

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 04:00:07 AM »

"supportive of each other"   

Surely there is not another dialysis patient who is not willing to be emotionally supportive of another when they are down? Are they SO perfect that they never have a down moment? Are they so insensitive to another's needs?

If they are coping SO well, how about passing on a little of their wisdom to those of us who sometimes it all gets too much. Maybe they have just had too many happy pills?

Support is NOT being told to "suck it up" either.    :boxing;  My children have better manners.  RANT away.

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 04:18:51 AM »

Kitkatz, I would be happy to knock some wisdom into whoever  :boxing;. I'm not the patient but the caregiver, and without being able to come here and let off some emotional steam, I would be in a loony bin. You RANT away and know that we are all here for you in the good times and bad. I have followed your story on IHD and there is not one person on this site that is stronger then you. For what it is worth, I admire everything about you.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 04:33:13 AM »

that person needs to go back and read epoman's posts. they have missed the entire point. keep it up, if needed. we have all learned a lot from each other, which is exactly what epoman intended. (don't get me started goofynina and i will need to both have a good cry) you have every right to rant as much as you want.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 05:19:41 AM »

Rant away! New members have commented that they like this forum because they get the truth about dialysis. Veteran members like it because we all SUPPORT each other. We help each other though the rough times like you're having. That person obviously doesn't understand why we're here!

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
bolta72

my best friend

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 05:52:17 AM »

Rant On

gotta do what I gotta do.. 2 yrs in ctr hemo
keefer51

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 05:52:36 AM »

Kit, If you didn't rant and complain i wouldn't have the balls i have now to fight.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 05:55:46 AM »

So should we all expect a PM? because i dont think that many of us on here haven't had a rant !!! Maybe it would be nice of that 'person' to PM you and thankyou for the countless amount of times you have given support and cheered people up on here as well !!!

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
2_DallasCowboys

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 06:08:48 AM »

Rant on!  I think this is one way
the dialysis patient and their caregivers know
they are not alone with all the daily hardships
that can accompany this illness :banghead;

anne
KR Cincy

Home hemodialysis since May 07

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 06:29:16 AM »

Whoever PM'd you is fairly clueless as to one of the primary functions of Epoman's vision...to give us a place to be negative, to rant, to bitch, to moan amongst people who understand...try bitching about your fistulagram at work and see how much sympathy you get (mostly you get looks like a dog when he ears a high pitched tone.)

What's amazing about IHD is the balance we strike between rants and celebrations...whether it is birthdays, anniversaries, or even good creatine levels.

We're the only people who really understand this life we now lead, and it's a hard one, fraught with highs and lows...Epoman set this up so we had a safe haven for all emotions...if someone doesn't like what's being said or done here, there are plenty of other sterile message boards out there.

Not giving up...thanks to Susan.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2007, 07:23:24 AM »

Well, I certainly wish I had a name to PM my reply to!!  Are you kidding!?  Kit, you know how I feel about you. I think you are amazing and a role model for anyone dealing with this disease. You give unselfishly of yourself on this site to help keep Epoman's dream alive.  No one person should have to go through what you have had to deal with this past year. And we are here to help you in good times and bad.  You did nothing inappropriate. You came to friends to share your feelings. Isn't that why we are all here?    Does this person work full time, been on dialysis 9 years, denied a transplant, have a husband become an ambutee---??    You are one of the reasons I am dealing with kidney failure the best I can. Thanks, Kit, for being the caring, selfless person you are  :cuddle;  And as for "nameless" :boxing; :thumbdown; >:( :boxing;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2007, 07:32:19 AM »

All I can say Kitkatz is that this forum is not for the person who PM'd you. That person is probably in a minority of one. We've all had a good rant on this forum at some time or another and the many return posts we get after posting a rant  are always very supportive and unique in the sense that only other dialysis patients who have the same issues can fully empathize, which in turn give us strength and courage. Nothing you have ever said on this forum has upset me. So send that PM into the trash can which is where it belongs. :grouphug;

Ken
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2007, 07:33:30 AM »

rant on, Kit, rant on  :boxing; :boxing; :boxing;

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2007, 07:41:52 AM »

Incurably sick people, especially if they state frankly and clearly how they are suffering, pose a serious challenge to the whole social order, because society has completely failed these people and is exposed by their criticism in its utter helplessness.  Thus serious illness has a kind of revolutionary implication.  This is why there is so much energy expended, from doctors, television commercials, public education programs, official disease websites, charitable societies, etc., to pretend that "everything will be just fine" for sick people "if they only take care of themselves and do what they are told," which puts the blame back on them and takes it away from society, the medical profession, and Big Pharma.  We all know what awful syrupy nonsense is said on official Kidney Disease websites about "you too can live a normal life," etc.  I remember someone on this forum even saying that nurses at his dialysis center had advised him not to visit this website because it was too negative.  At my former dialysis unit, they would also not let patients always have the same seats next to each other for fear they would develop a rapport and "start saying negative things to each other about how they felt about their disease."  But who are 'they' to control what we are allowed to say and think about OUR disease?

But as strong as the instinct to censor in order to promote social control may be, I never expected I would see this same desire to censor the truth about disease emerging on this forum, whose entire purpose is to provide a space for people to tell the unvarnished truth about how they experience renal failure.
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2007, 07:47:40 AM »

I have to agree with everyone else on this one.  Being an employee not a patient/caregiver on this site gives me a bit of a different perspective than others may have but I believe it's the same one the rest of you have.  This site was created by patients for patients to come and ask questions, give advice/wisdom and vent the frustrations that most of those not on dialysis would just not understand or care about.  How this could not be understood or accepted by anyone that has read through the posts on this site is insane and in my opinion heartless.  Rant On!

It's not easy being green.
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2007, 08:00:00 AM »

Kit, Your rant was an exercise is selfrestraint under some of the most horrid circumstances.   :grouphug;  I am stunned that anyone would believe you were out of line.  :o  Next time don't hold back and slap them up side the head with the reality you live with every day.  :boxing;  :boxing;

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2007, 08:51:00 AM »

Ranting is a healthy reaction to difficult situations. Rant on!

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2007, 09:23:37 AM »

All I would say to that person is   LOOK waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay UPPPPPPPPPPPPPP at the header EPOMAN made, it says,

A PLACE TO VENT ABOUT DIE-LYSIS....

you missed the point of this site. duh.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
Phurball

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2007, 10:25:05 AM »

Do you suppose Epoman has bopped that person on the head by now ??? :boxing;     Rant on Girl, rant on !

We can do no great things, only small things with great love.

Fistula installed 04/11/07
st789

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2007, 10:41:55 AM »

:rant; :rant; :rant;

This is the place to rant.  I have my shares of rant here, so Kitkatz do not worry the one that sent u. the P.M.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »