I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 08:20:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Majorly Depressed
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Majorly Depressed  (Read 12655 times)
George Jung

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2007, 08:21:56 AM »

The good thing about depression is that it ALWAYS gets better.

I can appreciate being positive but is this really true.  Someone may read that and feel worse because it is not getting better for them and that may have an adverse effect making things worse.  In my experience depression is like a wooden rollercoaster.  A wooden rollercoaster with a rusty safety belt and an absent minded operator who has left his station.  If all goes well you can free yourself of the harness should the ride ever stop.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 08:06:08 PM by George Jung » Logged
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2007, 09:52:13 AM »

Wooden rollercoaster-good description of depression.  Long slow hills to climb, quick plummets and all on spindly wood frame.  Not much fun, but moments of rush.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2007, 11:47:04 AM »

I have never really been depressed... at least not for more than a few hours or a full day....I dunno.. maybe it's b/c I have kids, and I need to be strong for them and they bring so much happiness in my life I overlook the sucky parts and focus on the good.. either way, i feel lucky not to have to go through major depression and I really feel for anyone who does.. I wish I could help and offer advice, I just dont know what to say really except look at the good and try to focus on that?

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
jblamb

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2007, 06:53:45 AM »

I had some major depression at the beginning. Noone had a clue as to how I felt and I felt very alone. I have a strong faith so that's what kept me going.  But....I understand how you feel.  Now that I have been on dialysis for around three years my family kind of 'takes it in stride'. No longer does anyone ask how I feel like they did at first. It's like it is 'no big deal' anymore.  Well, it is STILL a big deal to me and sometimes I get blue feeling like noone cares about it anymore. Once in a while it would seem nice if my family would remember how much I hate going to dialysis. How I would love to just 'forget' about going but have to keep on so I don't get sick again.  Anyway.....it Does get better with time.  There ARE insensitive people out there....feel sorry for them because they don't have a clue as to what you're going through. :cuddle;
Jannie

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2007, 07:21:57 AM »

Karen. I know exactly how you feel. I absolutely feel like hell. I hate the way my arm looks. There's a big lump where the fistula is and it's black and blue and swollen. My husband doesn't understand why I don't want sex. I'm ugly and I feel sick all the time. I don't even like food. I used to love to cook and eat. I have no friends. Where I used to work, I told them I had kidney failure. I was diagnosed in 2001 and went downhill. One woman said "I don't believe you really have kidney failure. You don't look sick and you're not getting dialysis".  I wish I could make her come to the center and sit next to me during the treatment. I hate everything, involving dialysis.
GuyIncognito

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2007, 08:16:54 AM »

It's a hard life and sometimes I feel as if I am totally alone in this world other than this site and my dialysis crew.
The past years have opened my eyes to the fact that no one really wants to know how you are doing, though they may ask. The truth is you are expected to say you are doing Great, Fantastic and that your generally not affected by the whole dialysis situation because in truth then they don't have to deal with it.
 I wish I could tell you something that would change your view of the situation and leave you with a sense of well being and happiness but the truth is I haven't found it myself yet... if anyone could enlighten me I would forever be in there debt.

st789

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2007, 08:46:07 AM »

Even the drs. expect u. to say great or everything is under control.

When people did not go through dialysis, they are so insensitive and clueless.

This is why I am very grateful for Epoman.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2007, 09:30:40 AM »

I am predialysis but believe you me I understand. A lot of my posts may not seem serious because I'm always trying to make people laugh and try to forget there troubles even if it's for a short time. Sometimes it may not really be funny, but don't take it that I don't understand or care.
I wouldn't be here if I didn't care. So those of you that have depression, you are not alone, we all have it at varying degrees. Just be happy that we now have a place within IHD that cares and understands. And even if you don't find what I post funny, please don't be offended. I truly care for everyone here, even Rolondo believe it or not.  :lol; see there I go again.   :grouphug;
st789

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2007, 01:18:18 PM »

Humor is what get me to forget my troubles from time to time.  We all need a little laugh here and there Sluff so cont. to do what u. do here and hope u. can delay dialysis as long as possible.
carolynt

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2007, 01:53:13 PM »

Whenever I get depressed there is always something I see or read where the person is a bit worse off than I am.  Then I have to think that I should be thankful for what I have.  Believe me it still sucks and I can understand the way you feel.  My graft sticks out of my arm from my shoulder to my elbow.  Its something that you definitely cannot hide.  I even went to a wedding (halter dress)with a bandage on it because there was still blood from dialysis ozzing - I stuck out like a sore thumb.  I can only hope that someone will come up with something better but I do not believe it will be in my lifetime.  Keep writing when you feel depressed it may help to know that there are other like you who feel the same way.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2007, 01:59:51 PM »

Humor is what get me to forget my troubles from time to time.  We all need a little laugh here and there Sluff so cont. to do what u. do here and hope u. can delay dialysis as long as possible.

This is why I love this site so much. On the diabetes forum I use, they jump down your throat if you try to be funny! I stopped reading that one a few days ago because I came to hate the site so much! You guys rock!   :bow;   :grouphug;

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2007, 06:43:30 PM »

:rant;    I am tired of dialysis sitting in my life everywhere.  I cannot sleep without it raising its head or eat, or drink , or damn near anything!  The worst part of it all is it never gives you a break! Ever!  :rant;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
GuyIncognito

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2007, 06:06:53 AM »

Making up stories about the ol' fistula always puts a smile on my face... The other day I was picking Isabelle up from daycare and one of the older kids asked me what was wrong with my arm. I looked at her very seriously and told her it was because when I was her age I didn't eat all my vegetables, however sometimes I go with the classic - when your mother tells you to look both ways before crossing the road... you should listen.

I've found that mauled by a beaver always breaks the ice with adults, especially with non canucks who for some reason think that Canada is lousy with those pesky critters... always breaking into our igloos.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2007, 10:09:26 AM »

:rofl; @ Guyincognito  :rofl;  I love the one with the vegetables, that is classic my friend, i wish i could've seen the faces on those kids  :2thumbsup;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
fluffy

Fluff!

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2007, 06:41:12 PM »

i hear you Karen, and i know exactly how you feel. write out everything you feel it helps. pm me anytime
Jannie

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2007, 02:00:00 PM »

You got a lump on your arm because you didn't eat your vegetables. My naturally curly hair I had as a child went straight because I didn't like vegetables, either!
fluffy

Fluff!

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2007, 09:14:56 PM »

:P vegetebles taste evil, i try to get by with v8 tho (low sodium v8 :-\)
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2007, 04:22:10 PM »

I used to HATE vegetables. But all of a sudden, this year, that's all I am in the mood to eat. And I'm obsessed with steamed broccoli! Yummm!

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
fluffy

Fluff!

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2007, 05:47:52 PM »

;D i feel about  broccoli the way some people feel about needles. it terrifies me. excellent that you like it tho, its really good for u :)

EDITED: Fixed ;D icon error - Sluff/ Admin

« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 12:09:54 PM by Sluff » Logged
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2007, 04:01:48 AM »

I feel for you. People in day to day life don't really want to hear about your problems. They ask, "How are you?" and they only want to hear the stock answer, "I'm doing fine." (As you fight to hold in how you're truly feeling). If they see you alive and functioning they want to believe everything is O.K.  Even close family members and loved ones can react this way after everyone gets through that initial year of dealing with your illness. Over the years I have come to the conclusion people don't intend to be shallow or callous, they just want to carry on like nothing is different because it is easier for them to deal with. They try to treat you as normally as possible, not knowing that in doing so, they may be invalidating your feelings and causing you anguish. That's why it can be important to reach out to others who are like you and that have knowledge of your illness through sites like this, or people at dialysis centers. Maybe if your lucky you can find a support group to meet with. If not, perhaps a counselor so you can have someone to meet with every once in a while and talk about what is really going on with you. I think you're very brave. You've already found ways to reach out and you are finding ways to live with your illness. I hope things get better for you soon, and all you others out there dealing with depression issues. Having dealt with depression regarding my kidney disease, I can can tell you that you will probably snap out of this funk over time. If it lasts too long, however, talk to your doctor about it and ask for referrals or maybe anti-depressants temporarily. I wish you the best.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
zekewolfy

« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2007, 03:14:52 AM »

Don't feel so bad, everyone in my household actually treats me as a non sick person...which is all fine and dandy except they expect me to do normal thinggs I can't..because Im' sick.....the grass is always greener!! hang in there!
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2007, 08:35:47 PM »

My family is the same way, too. Just because i can do it, does not mean I should.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2007, 09:36:27 AM »

For me the reality of if all is crashing down and I find my self crying myself to sleep most nights.  Last night was really bad.  Around people I'm happy and "strong".  No one, not even my husband, knows I cry most nights.

Reading this thread made my jaw drop because mainly this is what I was upset about last night.  No one really cares.  Last Friday I had lunch with a friend and after covering all her topics such as her children, their sports, her job, people she knows, blah, blah, blah when she was taking me back to my car she asked a few questions about my hopes for a future transplant and such.  However, I could tell while I was answering her questions that she wasn't listening to my answers - she was thinking about what she "should" ask next.  Her responses were mainly  "Mmmm Hmmm".  I have friends that will ask me something about my disease or fistula or whatever and they literally don't even make it through my answere before they are are talking to someone else or have walked away!  I keep telling myself to just stop and don't talk about it or bring it up.  Let them come to me if they are interested.  That's hard because this is what's on my mind 24-hrs a day!  The fear of dialysis.  The concern over transplant.  Everyday I read these boards and I learn something new.  Sometimes it relieves my fear and sometimes in increases my fear.  I think the example given of a "rollercoaster" is right on!  One you can't get off!

Oh well... I'm off to my follow-up appt with my vascular surgeon that mangled my arm.  Three week post op and I'm finally seeing him.  I've been rescheduled three times - most recently this morning when I arrived at his office at 10:30 a.m. only to be told he's still in surgery and I could "wait".  WTF?  I'm not waing and 1 1/2 hrs!  I didn't bring enough cash for parking!  Thankfully, she said I could come back at 11:45 a.m.    "Stop the ride!  I want OFF!"       :grouphug; to everyone!

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2007, 09:53:28 AM »

Kelly, that is why this forum has become so important in my life. It helps me to know I am not alone with what I am feeling.  Night time is my down fall, too.  I lay there and can't stop thinking - can't turn my brain off. Too many people need too much of me and like Kitkatz said "just because I can, doesn't mean I should", but they all expect me to continue the daily routine.    Friends don't get it, family can't handle it --so where does that leave me?  Right here with my fellow companions who do understand!  Some days will be harder than others.  Holidays are emotional to begin with and then add the not knowing what the future will brings adds to the emotions.   Some days I think I am really in control and then it hits me upside the head--reality--and depression creeps in.   Come hear and talk to us.  We care and we feel your pain :grouphug;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2007, 10:25:59 AM »

Paris, that was so eloquent, and so well expressed. I just wanna say, that's why I come here. I know you guys know how I feel, whether it's physical or emotional.  Unless someone has been in a situation as we have, they just don't know, they can't comprehend how overpowering it is.  Our entire life is changed. Our approach to life is changed. Heck, our attitudes are change.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »