I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 03:26:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Anymore Brits out there on Dialysis?
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 43 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anymore Brits out there on Dialysis?  (Read 170800 times)
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #825 on: August 05, 2008, 04:28:31 PM »

yummy - raspberry scones do you have a recipe. (believe it or not i do, do more than just eat)

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #826 on: August 05, 2008, 04:35:08 PM »

Can I get a wine cooler and strawberry shortcake?
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #827 on: August 05, 2008, 06:28:25 PM »

I want the recipe too!

Romona, yes you can have the wine cooler!   :secret; How are the plans coming along on your end?

EDITED: Fixed smiley error - Sluff/Admin
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 06:32:50 PM by Sluff » Logged

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #828 on: August 05, 2008, 07:17:58 PM »

I can't reveal my plans just yet. I was watching a re-run of McGyver. Let's just say it involves a gym sock, paperclip, a ball point pen and a Hershey Bar. The Hershey Bar has nothing to do with the plan. I am just hungry.  :bandance;
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #829 on: August 05, 2008, 07:41:08 PM »

I thought a paperclip, a ball point pen and a sock were the weapons of mass torture we were going to use on the men?

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #830 on: August 06, 2008, 06:26:10 AM »

I heartily concur with the suggestion of a lovely and dare we say civilized cream tea.  I say dare we say only because of the stupifyingly scurrilous nature of the lords of this cyber realm, as the charm, delicacy and civility of the ladies is above reproach.  Even purple,beaded, fringed, destructively seductive foundation under garments cannot subtract from their genteel and sensitive souls whilst the "gentlemen" just swagger and try to escape their bills.  Invite them if we must but then I must insist that we tie them up prior to the taking of tea and scones as then we will avoid their possible treachery and be free to inflict our own gentle torture to tame these barbarous beasties.

I'll be having two orders of raspberry scones, please and thank you.  Romona, details of your plan intrigue and fascinate.  Reveal whenever you see fit.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #831 on: August 06, 2008, 08:18:09 AM »

I heartily concur with the suggestion of a lovely and dare we say civilized cream tea.  I say dare we say only because of the stupifyingly scurrilous nature of the lords of this cyber realm, as the charm, delicacy and civility of the ladies is above reproach.  Even purple,beaded, fringed, destructively seductive foundation under garments cannot subtract from their genteel and sensitive souls whilst the "gentlemen" just swagger and try to escape their bills.  Invite them if we must but then I must insist that we tie them up prior to the taking of tea and scones as then we will avoid their possible treachery and be free to inflict our own gentle torture to tame these barbarous beasties.

I'll be having two orders of raspberry scones, please and thank you.  Romona, details of your plan intrigue and fascinate.  Reveal whenever you see fit.

The Barbarous Beasties say BRING IT ON!! 8) :guitar: :sir ken; :bandance; :bandance;

Ken
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #832 on: August 06, 2008, 09:13:24 AM »

Raspberry scones (it's an English recipe so hope you can translate into USA or metric!)

10oz plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 oz butter
2oz caster sugar
1 egg
Milk to mix
Fresh or forzen raspberries (frozen work best) about half a punnet, but however many you like really!
Put flour, baking powder, sugar and butter into a bowl and rub together until like breadcrumbs (don't use a mixer, you need to feel the texture).  Add the egg and then a little milk and work into a dough, add more milk if necessary until it is solid, not crumbly and not wet (trial and error comes in here and you get to eat all the ones that go wrong  >:D)  Roll out to about an inch thick and cut into rounds (or just shape with your hands) and bake at 200 C for around 20 minutes.  Delicious on their own but also good with butter and/or cream.  OR If you are a real pig (like me) warm with a little home made vanilla ice cream...............hmmmmmmmmm

:secret; bet that will lure them into our lair...........let's face it if neither this nor the gorgeous purple underwear works then they are not the men we thought they were.
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

« Reply #833 on: August 06, 2008, 09:38:08 AM »

Oh Rose, put me down as lured I can never get enough of scones. :bow; :bow; :bow;

Ken
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #834 on: August 06, 2008, 09:58:52 AM »

Yeah!  We now know the way into Ken's heart. :2thumbsup;  Start baking ladies; the other men will follow :thumbup;   

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #835 on: August 06, 2008, 11:31:00 AM »

Ar last we have found our way into their hearts.   :bandance;

Ken you must let Rita have this recipe, it really is delicious, my son got it from a local wholefood cafe when he had a weekend job there (he works at a Michelin Star place now!).  They really are very moreish :2thumbsup;

I don't know why I said you must let Rita have it, come to think of it you should bake some for Rita (Germaine Greer would hate me  :rofl; )
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #836 on: August 06, 2008, 02:18:19 PM »

oh scones, delish, i'm off to bake and i have fresh raspberries in the back yard.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #837 on: August 06, 2008, 02:26:13 PM »

Sounds fab, Rose, I just need to know how much is in a punnet. 

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #838 on: August 06, 2008, 02:52:35 PM »

I do not bake.  What ever shall I do?  Puts hand to forehead. I think I shall divvy up the chocolate!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #839 on: August 06, 2008, 11:31:40 PM »

Sounds fab, Rose, I just need to know how much is in a punnet. 

I knew someone would ask, now I've had to get off my  :sir ken; and look in the fridge  :rofl;
It's around 200 grams for raspberries but thinking about it a good big handful is probably the amount you need...........................all you need now is to find someone with a nice big hand  :rofl;
All I do is keep adding until it looks enough!
Kitkat don't worry these are really easy, you don't need to be good at baking, honestly. Perhaps one of our trusty knights may ride to your rescue, some of the best chefs are men (so Gordon Ramsey would have us believe).  But if you still have chocolate then I think you have the trump card, you coudl melt it and make chocolate sauce to go with the scones  :2thumbsup;

What's that I hear, is it the stampede of gallant Knights rushing to the kitchen door, lured by the delicious smells wafting out?  We will soon have them eating at our feet  :clap;
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

« Reply #840 on: August 07, 2008, 03:16:38 AM »

Ar last we have found our way into their hearts.   :bandance;

Ken you must let Rita have this recipe, it really is delicious, my son got it from a local wholefood cafe when he had a weekend job there (he works at a Michelin Star place now!).  They really are very moreish :2thumbsup;

I don't know why I said you must let Rita have it, come to think of it you should bake some for Rita (Germaine Greer would hate me  :rofl; )

Rose,
Rita loves cooking but hates baking and she won't let me do anything in the kitchen because she says I make too much mess.  ::) But I'll have to try your recipe. Maybe if I offered to help her bake?

Ken
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #841 on: August 07, 2008, 09:16:58 AM »

Possibly if you offered to help her she would find that she can manage alone.................there's one thing I've never understood, perhaps you can explain - why do men need at least 2 pans, 3 bowls, a plate, several knives and a cup just to make a sandwich  :rofl; It's as much of a conundrum as the fact that ther's always a teaspoon at the bottom of the washing up bowl even when you haven't used one!!
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #842 on: August 07, 2008, 04:53:16 PM »

I think men can be much better cooks than women sometimes.  :clap;
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #843 on: August 07, 2008, 04:56:39 PM »

Okay, then, let's get the men to cook for us!

lifenotonthelist.com

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #844 on: August 07, 2008, 06:11:46 PM »

No porridge and No Jello!!   We fell for that once, never again!  We want quiche!

rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #845 on: August 07, 2008, 10:39:41 PM »

Don't they say real men don't eat quiche?  Yay, that means they can cook it and we can eat it  :clap;

Bags I don't do the washing up though, they are bound to create 3 times more than we would (or is that an English trait?)  :rofl;
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

« Reply #846 on: August 08, 2008, 05:30:45 AM »

Possibly if you offered to help her she would find that she can manage alone.................there's one thing I've never understood, perhaps you can explain - why do men need at least 2 pans, 3 bowls, a plate, several knives and a cup just to make a sandwich  :rofl; It's as much of a conundrum as the fact that ther's always a teaspoon at the bottom of the washing up bowl even when you haven't used one!!

Why do all women say this about men and why can't women leave the toilet seat up? Oh and I hate quiche  :puke;

Ken
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #847 on: August 08, 2008, 08:54:48 AM »

Man in apron cooking - yep - very sexy.  ;D

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #848 on: August 08, 2008, 09:40:10 AM »

How about steak and kidney pie?  That seems like an appropriate dish for all of us!  The men can cook anything they want.  I agree with Okarol--men in aprons :2thumbsup;

carla13

« Reply #849 on: August 08, 2008, 02:13:18 PM »

Hi!
New to the boards and a Brit! Now, i haven't read all the pages of this thread (C'mon there's 43 of them!) but I'm afraid that I have to disappoint you Ken with my total ignorance of football - or any other sport for that matter... but I'm definitely British (living in Chester)

xx
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 43 Go Up Print 
« previous next »