I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 07:33:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  EXERCISE
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: EXERCISE  (Read 108300 times)
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #250 on: January 29, 2009, 01:26:32 PM »

I just want to make sure we're talking about the same things here.

A new fistula can benefit from exercises to help it develop and mature so it is ready to be used.  These are specific exercises  like the ones Tina described above.  (Some doctors feel that these are unnecessary and don't do much that the fistula won't do by itself while others swear by them and insist on patients doing them.  I have personally had both of these types of doctors.) 

If you have a developed, functioning fistula you must be careful about lifting things that are too heavy or doing weight lifting exercises that could harm the fistula.  You should consult with your doctor about your exercise routine and lifting free weights or using weight lifting machines.

Thank you monrein, for clearing up any confusion.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Lucinda

Life is great!

« Reply #251 on: January 29, 2009, 07:21:47 PM »

i have a graft and my vascular surgeon said I only needed to worry about lying on it of carrying something against it. He said lifting weights was not a problem.  Maybe because it is synthetic it is a bit stronger.  I certainly lift a lot of weights and I have had no problem.  But really important to ask your own doctor first.  x
Normie

Ellie

« Reply #252 on: January 29, 2009, 08:20:44 PM »

Exercise is great.   :bandance;
This week I did:  Sunday in the pool  30 min. of aerobic exercise and 30 min. of laps.
                        Monday aerobic class 45 min. then in the pool 15 min. of exercise and 30 min. of laps.
                        Wednesday Aerobic class then in the pool 15 min. of exercise and 30 min. of laps.
                        Hope to go again on Friday or Saturday.

I have lost 60 lbs. between Oct. 07 and April 08.  Now between 50 and 60 lbs. off (it fluctuates).  I need to get going again in the right direction.

Normie

Kidney damage 4/22/07

Predialysis
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #253 on: January 29, 2009, 08:41:52 PM »

I did 10 minutes on the elliptical, 10 minutes on the bike, 5 on the other elliptical, 40 minutes with the trainer in the pool, then around 14 laps on my own.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #254 on: January 29, 2009, 09:04:15 PM »

You ladies are SMOKIN' !

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

swramsay

My son, Scotland, is my heartbeat.

« Reply #255 on: January 29, 2009, 09:52:18 PM »

I am happy to be going back after several months off. Three times a week is all. 1/2 hour on the elliptical usually working it pretty hard. A few light weights and stretching after. Here is what I like to do on the elliptical these days...(copied from my facebook page)
I keep the elliptical at the highest incline (20) and adjust my speed and resistance to go along with the music on my Mp3 that I am listening to. During songs like "Let's Get it Started", I crank it up to a 210 pace with a lesser resistance of 5 or 6. The workout I really enjoy is the one immediately following with "Lollipop" at a slow, gruelling pace of 74, the incline at 20 and the resistance at 18. Now THAT is a workout! Whew. I love it. I can't stay with it as long as I could before so I need to lower the resistance as I feel necessary to catch my breath before picking it up again. I used to be able to finish the entire song "Lollipop" but I stopped 3 times on that song yesterday. I am just so grateful that I have gotten through all I have to be able to still be at the gym.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 07:59:55 PM by swramsay » Logged

JUST KEEP GOING.
March 2009: NxStage Pureflow Home Dialysis 5-6 x's week
Sept 2008: In center dialysis
Sept 2008: Left kidney removed (bladder cancer)
April 2006: Right kidney removed (bladder cancer). Chemo for lymph node mets.
April 2004: Bladder removed plus hysterectomy & neobladder made (bladder cancer)
Feb 1994: Original bladder cancer diagnosis & beginning of this journey

www.marykay.com/wramsay
swramsay

« Reply #256 on: January 30, 2009, 08:06:19 PM »

Just a question. Because I am feeling good, I have been stepping it up a bit at the gym. I feel like I'm getting stronger.
The last few dialysis runs I've had more problems with cramping - even 1/2 way through. I don't think it's completely my dry weight. I feel that's pretty stable. I wondered tonight (as I was fighting off cramping most of my run) if the process of working and building the muscles could somehow cause cramping where it wouldn't happen otherwise. I was cramping in my back (among other places) which is unusual. However, I am doing some weights for my back.

Any thoughts? It makes sense to me.

JUST KEEP GOING.
April 2004: Bladder removed plus hysterectomy & neobladder made (bladder cancer)

www.marykay.com/wramsay
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #257 on: January 30, 2009, 09:52:24 PM »

Makes sense to me - I pulled a muscle in my leg a while ago.  While it was healing, it tended to be the first thing that cramped while I was on dialysis.  The cramps come from a fluid imbalance in the muscle.  It makes sense that an injured muscle or one that has been strained by a work-out would be more prone to a fluid imbalance.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #258 on: January 31, 2009, 05:54:39 AM »

I wonder also about the role of our potassium swings when it comes to exercise, since potassium also helps regulate the muscles???

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #259 on: January 31, 2009, 07:41:31 AM »

Perhaps the conductivity on your dialysis machine needs adjusting.  Does it have sodium variation/modeling?

8)

I make films.

swramsay

« Reply #260 on: January 31, 2009, 09:16:52 AM »

I'll ask about the conductivity. I get 15 minute flushes so all that fluid has to be added onto what I already take off which I think is causing some problems. Yesterday I clotted with 45 minutes left and chose not to get a new setup because of all the cramping I was experiencing. I got off the machine early and was .5 below my dry weight already. That included a 1/2 hour period of no pulling (and 3 flushes) because the cramping was bad. No wonder I was cramping. Even though I may end up on target in the end when I get more fluids back with flushes, rinse and blood back, I need to figure out how to not dip below my dry weight at any point during the run. I suppose I could always increase my dry weight a little to allow for that, but I don't want to if I don't have to. I feel best at my dry weight not over - especially with a 2-day weekend.

Back to exercise and muscles....last night I was still tight and cramping in my back. I used a handheld vibrator on my back and it really helped a lot to loosen and relax those muscles.

JUST KEEP GOING.

www.marykay.com/wramsay
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #261 on: January 31, 2009, 09:44:26 AM »

Are you sweating a lot during your workout and so losing fluid and salt that way, by any chance?

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #262 on: January 31, 2009, 11:28:26 AM »

... Even though I may end up on target in the end when I get more fluids back with flushes, rinse and blood back, I need to figure out how to not dip below my dry weight at any point during the run...

Sounds as if someone's math is off when figuring the UF rate.
You should never be below your dry weight during dialysis--only at the conclusion.

8)

I make films.

swramsay

« Reply #263 on: January 31, 2009, 11:38:40 AM »

I sweat enough to dampen my clothes but I'm not dripping with sweat.

I'll ask about calculating the UF rate. For instance, actual fluid increase is 2.0. Flushes plus rinseback is 2.2 with a total target of 4.2. I can see how at some point the machine can dip below my dry weight because it doesn't know that I have yet to receive some of that fluid in flushes. We'll get it figured out - hopefully. No fun.

JUST KEEP GOING.

www.marykay.com/wramsay
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #264 on: March 25, 2009, 08:11:21 PM »

Did my regular 3-day-a-week workout:  75 minutes with 16 different weight-resistance exercises.
Then drank an ice cold glass of a protein shake.

8)

I make films.

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #265 on: March 25, 2009, 08:22:27 PM »

I've been upping my treadmill time - always a mile, instead of slacking off at 1/2.  Lately, I've been trying to get back on after resting from the first mile, and trying to do another 1/2 mile with the incline on.  I don't always make it the entire 1/2 mile, but my calves are showing the difference, even if I haven't lost much weight from it yet.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #266 on: March 26, 2009, 07:18:43 AM »

I try do go for walks whenever I am well enough to do so - but I am not yet on dialysis, so it is "easy" for me to say. When I am not reallly well enough I only walk around the block and on other times it is a longer walk. I could not "work out" in a gym etc, because it is too stressful for me, but little walks through the district, studying the architecture etc. are fascinating and don't make me really feel "exercising".

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #267 on: March 27, 2009, 03:37:13 PM »

kristina, I didn't have the energy to exercise until after I started dialysis, so I don't think there's anything easy about being pre-d  and still trying to exercise!  Every step counts, so keep it up! :clap;

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #268 on: March 27, 2009, 04:03:09 PM »

kristina, I didn't have the energy to exercise until after I started dialysis, so I don't think there's anything easy about being pre-d  and still trying to exercise!  Every step counts, so keep it up! :clap;

JBeany, I think your statement validates those who aren't on dialysis yet, but are dealing with the overwhelming fatigue.   :2thumbsup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #269 on: March 27, 2009, 04:34:59 PM »

I've been sick for a week with a cough/cold and haven't gone to the gym.  But, I went and walked a slow mile on the treadmill and I will go back to the 5:30 class called "Turbo Kick".  I can attend now that the time has changed.  Usually it is too dark for me to drive. 

Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #270 on: March 27, 2009, 05:06:24 PM »

But, I went and walked a slow mile on the treadmill and I will go back to the 5:30 class called "Turbo Kick".  I can attend now that the time has changed.  Usually it is too dark for me to drive.

:thumbup;

I make films.

twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #271 on: March 27, 2009, 05:27:24 PM »

I wear a stop watch to keep accurate time

Thurs ----- 1 hour  including indoor bike and mopping and sweeping

Fri --- 15 minutes on indoor bike --- dialysis days are harder

kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #272 on: March 28, 2009, 06:45:08 AM »

You are right, we already do exercises every day anyway whilst mopping and sweeping etc. How could I forget this when sometimes I am almost too exhausted to even think about it!

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #273 on: April 15, 2009, 03:33:20 PM »

Housecleaning burns calories, so it counts.  So does parking at the far end of the parking lot and walking into the store, and then pushing the cart in circles around Mega-giant-mart trying to figure out where the heck they put everything this week.  (I know, I know, they rearrange hoping to get you to see more and therefore spend more.  Doesn't work on me - the budget doesn't stretch no matter how far I have to walk to find the stuff on my list!)

I read a magazine article about building up core strength by spending time balancing on one foot.  They were suggesting you do it while standing in line at the store, or while brushing your teeth.  Hmm, not so sure I want to hop around like a flamingo while I'm shopping, but I figured I'd give it a try last night while I was watching TV.  So I spent about half an hour wobbling in my living room, mostly doing a modified Yoga tree pose, or with alternate legs stretched out behind me as I stretched forward.  I even stretched into a few of the yoga poses I used to do before my arm got screwed up with nerve damage.  I can hold most of them again, so my arm has improved.  I didn't think much of it as workout, at least not until I woke up this morning.
I'm sore as hell today, so apparently it's a better workout than I thought!  Sounds like a good thing to do more often. . .

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #274 on: April 15, 2009, 03:35:55 PM »

I'm going to do that tonight jbeany...Thanks for the tip.

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »