I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 03:28:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  EXERCISE
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: EXERCISE  (Read 108273 times)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #275 on: April 15, 2009, 03:39:07 PM »

I worked out in the pool with my trainer last night along with 20 minutes on the bike and 10 on the treadmill.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« Reply #276 on: April 15, 2009, 05:27:39 PM »

I do 30 mins bike, 30 mins weights, and then I finish off with 30 mins elliptical.  I have been trying to go 4 days a week. But I am gonna try and bump it up another day or two, or add another 30 mins to a couple of the days.  I am crazy tired all the time and it has been hard to get up and go. But my goal is to lose my weight before my kidneys fully give out. I want to join a kick boxing class. I think that would be fun.  Don't know if my doctors would be happy with that thuogh. haha

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theres is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they whohunger and thirst for righteousness, for theywill be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

Matthew 5:3-9
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #277 on: April 15, 2009, 05:52:42 PM »

I read a magazine article about building up core strength by spending time balancing on one foot.

Strengthening the body's core (the back and abs) is an important part of a regular work out.
And yoga is an excellent way to work those muscles.

But it's always good to approach some of these (non yoga) "balancing" exercises in the magazines with a bit of caution.  Some of these "fad" exercises go too far and have caused more than a few injuries, according to my orthopedist, who works in Sports Medicine.

Last year it was throwing Kettlebells over your head--(with love from Russia).
I now see people balancing on one foot while lifting weights.

8)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 05:53:49 PM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #278 on: April 15, 2009, 06:25:07 PM »

What the heck is a kettlebell?

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #279 on: April 15, 2009, 08:54:44 PM »

What the heck is a kettlebell?

It became really "hot" at the health clubs a year or two ago.  Came from Russia (think Soviet Olympic Athletes).
 8)

http://www.liftkettlebells.com/Videos/Video-Player/VideoId/81/Kettlebell-Kate-Montage.aspx
http://www.liftkettlebells.com/Videos/Video-Player/VideoId/32/CleanSquatPress-Smooth-Combination.aspx
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 08:59:44 PM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #280 on: April 16, 2009, 09:26:15 AM »

Given the name, I was picturing them ringing every time you lifted them. . .

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

LightLizard

« Reply #281 on: April 16, 2009, 09:52:56 AM »

for the last ten years before i was diagnosed, this is how i made my living..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uGqBxwjFhg

the breath is so important. many of us breathe inefficiently and find our energy flagging because of it.
i have found these exercises to be very useful now because they are simple to perform and help the joints, keep the muscles limber, enhance the balance, improve digestion and respiratory function.

qigong ('chee'gong') was developed in china and was originally intended for martial artists who wished to increase their stamina and flexibility, while stimulating acupuncture points and improving one's energy level, they were used most often by warriors to recover from injuries, but became extremely popular amongst the general population when it was found that regular practice could increase one's longevity, as well as accellerate the healing process for many conditions.

i was certified in '87 to teach these, and tai chi, with the title 'lao shr' -which translates to 'senior instructor.'
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #282 on: April 16, 2009, 10:19:21 AM »

Nice to see your post, LL.  We all need reminded about the importance of breathing.  I depend on breathing techniques to work through pain and especially to relax the whole body.   Your video is very helpful and easy to understand.  Thanks for sharing it with us.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
LightLizard

« Reply #283 on: April 16, 2009, 10:59:13 AM »

thanks for your feedback paris. one of the greatest pleasures of my life was the sharing of this art with the many students i was blessed to instruct during my 'healthy' years.
there's no joy like watching what happens as people are transformed, like a flower opening to the light of the sun. :flower;

we can go for days without food or water, but a few moments without the breath and we are gone...

there are 8 exercises in all of the video i posted, but the first three are sufficient for warming up, a quick, simple routine to wake up, a 'mini' routine, all in itself.

enjoy!

:cuddle;
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #284 on: April 16, 2009, 06:57:53 PM »

I am not a gym person BUT I find exercise can be done in so many different and easy ways with just a little willpower you can do your heart/cardio system a great deal of good really easily. For me I've been doing it all my life, but I only realised a few years back that what I took for granted as something to do a lot of others did not do and that I actually gained benefit from it. What I'm talking about are EASY things but some people are too lazy to do it. Like for example when I'm at work my office area is 2 floors up from the ground. I walk up (and down) the stairs multiple times each day. Some others take the elevator. It's ONLY two floors people it's not hard! Or when I head out to lunch I walk around the city for ~20 minutes - again easy to do. On the days I go to work I walk through my local park and along the road approximately half way - again another 20 minutes walk. It's easy, it's quite relaxing to walk through the trees and grass and stuff and I can think, or listen to podcasts or whatever.. again I'm getting exercise. On the weekend on my non D day I walk all the way and make it an hours walk - if I am feeling really EPO'd up I'll walk back too after stopping for a small drink or food or something. I feel really good when I've finished it and in nice weather it's relaxing and gorgeous. Again I listen to ipod, or maybe a football game on the radio or something. Before I know it I'm done.

Now I realise for some people even doing simple stuff like this (ie: walking!!) is difficult - and I'm not talking about folks on dialysis.. I mean in general - but a lot of "normal" healthy people CAN and SHOULD.. but they don't and instead turn into Homer Simpson.

I know I could go do weights at the gym or swim more and all that and I'd be much fitter but for me, this is gentle and something I *enjoy* doing (which is a real must, clearly because it provides motivation) but it's also not a hard thing to do or stressful on the body.

I like to think I am doing myself a good service each time I get out there in the park. Whenever they test my heart they say it's in good shape so that is good to know!! :)

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #285 on: April 16, 2009, 09:18:10 PM »

I am going to purchase a 27 speed recumbent tricycle bike.  My sister let me ride hers and I loved it.  What fun.  She and I are going to go riding the bike trails in the area on our new three wheelers.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #286 on: April 17, 2009, 03:45:59 AM »

for the last ten years before i was diagnosed, this is how i made my living..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uGqBxwjFhg

the breath is so important. many of us breathe inefficiently and find our energy flagging because of it.
i have found these exercises to be very useful now because they are simple to perform and help the joints, keep the muscles limber, enhance the balance, improve digestion and respiratory function.

qigong ('chee'gong') was developed in china and was originally intended for martial artists who wished to increase their stamina and flexibility, while stimulating acupuncture points and improving one's energy level, they were used most often by warriors to recover from injuries, but became extremely popular amongst the general population when it was found that regular practice could increase one's longevity, as well as accellerate the healing process for many conditions.

i was certified in '87 to teach these, and tai chi, with the title 'lao shr' -which translates to 'senior instructor.'

Hallo, Lizard, I have just seen your video and it is absolutely fascinating, thank you for sharing your knowledge with us! I shall try and find out more about this. Thanks again.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
LightLizard

« Reply #287 on: April 17, 2009, 10:18:27 AM »

thank you for your response, kristina. the first exercise in the video is a lung strengthener, and both the second and third exercises are meant to strengthen the kidneys.

each of the 8 exercises works in two ways; one is the physical component. the exercise massages and stimulates the targeted organ directly through movement and posture. the secondary benefit is believed to be a stimulation of the acupuncture points of the targeted organ.

these exercises are ideal for people in our position. they don't require a great deal of muscular effort, but do benefit the muscular system, nonetheless.

it's believed that this particular set of exercises was first incorporated in china about 1,000 years ago by a chinese doctor. he was a general in the military and found that the men he taught these exercises to were stronger and healthier than the men who did not do them. it became a tradition and is still practiced widely, today, in china and all over the world.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 10:20:45 AM by LightLizard » Logged
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #288 on: April 17, 2009, 01:44:03 PM »

Thanks for your kind explanation, LightLizard. Fascinating to think that the first exercise is to strengthen the lungs and the second and third are to strengthen the kidneys! I shall watch and study all the exercises very carefully again and learn as much as possible! It impresses me how these exercises come over as very harmonious for the body and mind! I have always done exercises like walking (as RichardMel explains above), but your exercises can be done at home and as I cannot go every day for a walk, I might be able to do these exercises at home. Thanks again!

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
LightLizard

« Reply #289 on: April 17, 2009, 04:17:19 PM »

you're very welcome, kristina. that is exactly what i use the exercises for, these days. i love walking too, but am limited because of my condition, so these exercises help to keep the energy flowing and also are a great adjunct to any other exercise, like walking or weight training. today, most tai chi schools offer some kind of qigong work as a warm-up for tai chi practice, but qigong is a valid and powerful system all on it's own, really.

exercise #4 is for the liver. while performing the slow-motion punch movement, one is supposed to 'look with angry eyes' - this is believed to stimulate the liver function. (in chinese medicine, each organ has a corresponding emotion).

#5 targets the kidneys and the lungs together.

#6-the kidneys and the spleen.

#7 again, the kidneys. (the kidneys, in chinese medicine, are considered the most vital of organs. they are referred to as 'the life gate.') this one also stimulates digestion nicely while benefitting the spleen too.

#8 also works on the liver. this one and number 4 are also very useful for developing balance and strengthening the heart.

the names are quite esoteric, too;

1-'Both Hands Press Heaven.'

2-'Turn and Look.'

3- 'Bow and Touch Toes.'

4- 'Step and Chop.'

5- 'Press Heaven, Raise Heels'.

6- 'Press Heaven, Press Earth.'

7- 'Wag the Tail.'

8- 'Draw the Bow.'

This is just the first 'set' of ' the Eight Pieces of Brocade.'

The entire system consists of 8 sets of exercises, eight exercises per set, so there are actually 64 exercises in all. Most people just practice this first set and are not even aware of the complete system. I was very fortunate to meet a master of the art, years ago, who instructed me personally in the whole system. Unfortunately, today, my condition does not allow me to perform the other sets well anymore. They get increasingly more challenging as the sets progress.
The overalll effect of the system is the same as yoga, really, but qigong will actually strengthen one with practice, whereas most yoga will increase flexibility, but not so much the strength of the muscles and organs.

the name, 'eight pieces of brocade' comes from the fact that these  exercises were discovered when an ancient tomb was opened some time ago, in china, and eight silken, brocaded scrolls were found with these exercises painted on them.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 04:19:49 PM by LightLizard » Logged
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #290 on: April 18, 2009, 01:04:26 AM »

Thanks again for your further explanations LightLizard. You are right, some people with our condition of kidney failure - whatever stage we are in - are limited in strengths -  and these exercises might just be what I was hoping to come across: to do some exercises to get some strengths back. I am very impressed and inspired by the way these exercises in your video come over as very harmonious for the body and mind. I shall let you know how things progress, thanks again and good luck from Kristina.

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #291 on: April 19, 2009, 01:33:38 AM »

Hello, LightLizard, I have been doing these exercises and they are very relaxing indeed. They seem to be a good breathing exercise for patients - like myself -  in great distress  - to become a little calmer and relax a little - despite all the stress about their situation. Thanks again and all the best wishes from Kristina.

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
LightLizard

« Reply #292 on: April 19, 2009, 08:23:59 AM »

good for you kristina! if you get that effect from the exercises this early on in your practice, you are definitely doing them correctly. they are very calming.

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #293 on: April 20, 2009, 03:39:56 PM »

15 minutes on elliptical, bike and treadmill Sunday and 3 laps in the pool. Then I changed a car tire.  I am sore!

lifenotonthelist.com

Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #294 on: April 20, 2009, 04:53:56 PM »

15 minutes on elliptical, bike and treadmill Sunday and 3 laps in the pool. Then I changed a car tire.  I am sore!

:bow;

I make films.

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #295 on: April 20, 2009, 05:48:51 PM »

Excuse me 32 laps in that pool on Sunday. Sorry. Typo!

lifenotonthelist.com

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #296 on: April 26, 2009, 01:52:10 PM »

2 miles on the treadmill today, instead of my usual 1.  My latest bright idea - every time someone calls me who I tend to talk to for a long time, I turn on the treadmill and hop on while I'm chatting.  I can chug along at 2 miles an hour, while chatting a mile a minute, and not get out of breath.  I figure slow miles count, too.  My half hour conversation today took me about .8 of a mile.   :cheer:

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #297 on: April 26, 2009, 02:54:03 PM »

My usual 1/2 mile in the pool yesterday. Now the recumbent trike is here!  Ride the bike today!

lifenotonthelist.com

Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #298 on: April 26, 2009, 07:02:39 PM »

My apt building expanded the fitness room and added a few more machines.  So I now go for 90 minutes and do 18 exercises.

8)

I make films.

BobN

« Reply #299 on: April 28, 2009, 10:06:42 AM »

Bob Here

If you haven't already, please read my blog on exercise.

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=13602.0

It brings across the challenges of starting (or re-starting in my case) a fitness routine when you're on dialysis.

Thanks.  Stay active and take care.

www.bobnortham.com
Author of The ABC's of the Big D: My Life on Dialysis
Bob's Prescription for Living With Dialysis:
Follow Your Recommended Diet and Especially Watch Your Potassium, Phosphorous, and Fluid.
Stay Active - Find a Form of Exercise You Like and DO IT!!
Laugh Every Chance You Get.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »