I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 02:25:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  New to PD and having rapid transporter issues
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New to PD and having rapid transporter issues  (Read 3011 times)
hildegard

« on: May 01, 2007, 07:09:30 AM »

Hey All,

My mom is actually the one new to pd, but I am Lisa, one of her caregivers.  Wow, pd is a lot of work and we are not getting very promising results yet. My mom is a rapid transporter. It seems like as soon as the solution goes in it needs to be exchanged in no more than 3 hours. It seems like she needs the 4.25 solution all of the time as well, or she reabsorbs it, and that high concentration worries me....She is also having problems with hemorrhoids due to the pressure during the day. My mom is 83.

Now we are trying to cycle her every 1:16 minutes at night and leave her "solutionless" during the day. Being "solutionless" seems to have helped her hemorrhoids, but it seems strange not to have fluid in her after almost of month of being full all day and all night.  After being "dry" all day I noticed a few fibers in her drain at night. Any correlation with fibers and no daytime fill?

Any of you experience a similar rapid transporter situation? Is it OK to not have solution in during the day...any common problems that it can cause?

ANY feedback would be helpful!!!

Thanks for this forum and for all of you who are regulars and guide us newbees along,
Lisa

Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 07:26:42 AM »

Welcome hildegard , good to have you aboard.
I cant help you so far as the question goes but you might have better luck in this section : http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?board=25.0

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 08:11:27 PM »

Welcome to the site. There is a lot of information on PD available here. Read on! 

kitkatz,moderator

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 10:04:10 PM »

Hi Lisa,

:welcomesign;

I'm on hemo so can't help you , but I can let you know there are some wonderful people on this site on PD with a wealth of information to share.

I'm sure you will get plenty of help real soon !

Tamara xxx ooo  :cuddle;

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
anja

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 10:51:07 PM »

:welcomesign;  Lisa to the community!  Yes, PD can be a lot of work, but it is less hard on your mom than hemo. would be.   I decreased my daytime dwell to half of what I started with and am doing much better, but I am not a very rapid transporter.  My cycles run for 1:45 and I stay pretty much at the same weight.  They have a solution that is used for high transporters called Icodextrin or Extraneal, I believe, it removes fluid after dwelling all day, but no toxins, and is not absorbed.  I would be careful of using the 4.25's , the higher the solution percentage, the more scarring it can do to the peritoneum, I  am told.  I use a combination of one 1.5 and a 2.5 every night.  If I have eaten out (more sodium in those foods) I know to use two 2.5's to get the desired ultrafiltration (UF).  The best of luck to your mom and you.  Come back often to ask questions or 'just get things out'  we know what you are dealing with.  Take care,  Anja    :cuddle;
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 12:34:27 AM »

Hildegard, welcome to IHD.  So, what are the doctors saying?  I mean she is Eighty Three years old!!!  Sorry, but dialysis is torture and if she is not having any quality of life she doesn't have to do this.  It is her choice.  I just wouldn't put her through it.  Maybe Hemo would be less torture for her?  What do you want for her? 

You might ask her what she wants to do.  If she wants to continue dialysis then go for it.  But, if she doesn't then LISTEN to her.

boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 04:52:56 AM »

Hildegard, welcome to IHD. So, what are the doctors saying? I mean she is Eighty Three years old!!! Sorry, but dialysis is torture and if she is not having any quality of life she doesn't have to do this. It is her choice. I just wouldn't put her through it. Maybe Hemo would be less torture for her? What do you want for her?

You might ask her what she wants to do. If she wants to continue dialysis then go for it. But, if she doesn't then LISTEN to her.
AMEN ---Boxman55

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 05:59:50 AM »

Welcome Hildegard to IHD.

Thank you for introducing yourself, it is the best way for us to get to know you better. Whatever your reason for joining our family here at IHD, I hope you find everything you need, but most importantly I want you to feel comfortable to ask questions and come back and post often.

Here are some links to help you out.

Site rules: http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=540.0

Chat: http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/chat/flashchat.php

The best search engine for kidney related issues: http://www.kidneyoogle.com

Relationship advice: http://www.renalromance.com

Sluff, Administrator
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »