I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 02:31:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  The date!!!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The date!!!  (Read 30909 times)
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #175 on: August 06, 2007, 03:17:29 AM »

Has anybody had joint problems (e.g. suspected osteo-arthritis in my case) following transplant?

I didn't have this problem before the transplant. But now, I can hardly walk without pain. I have to take paracetamol every morning in order to walk properly. Even then, there is some pain. Mostly in my ankles, but also in my feet and knees.

I am having an x-rays on Thursday.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #176 on: August 07, 2007, 02:58:23 PM »

Has anybody had joint problems (e.g. suspected osteo-arthritis in my case) following transplant?

I didn't have this problem before the transplant. But now, I can hardly walk without pain. I have to take paracetamol every morning in order to walk properly. Even then, there is some pain. Mostly in my ankles, but also in my feet and knees.

I am having an x-rays on Thursday.

Well, I had joint problems before either of my transplants, caused from Prednisone... but I am getting increasinlgy worse with my ankle and knee (mostly ankle0 pain... mine is AVN.

Hope you get it taken care of soon and it's treatable.  :grouphug;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #177 on: August 07, 2007, 05:27:57 PM »

The prednisone causes it? How come the kidney doctor didn't tell me this when I told him about it?  :rant;

What kind of treatments do they use? It's really affecting my ability to do almost everything!
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #178 on: August 07, 2007, 06:44:56 PM »

The prednisone causes it? How come the kidney doctor didn't tell me this when I told him about it?  :rant;

What kind of treatments do they use? It's really affecting my ability to do almost everything!

The prednisone caused *mine* because I was on high doses and many many year's... I don't know if it could do that kind of damage so soon, but I dn't know, but yah.. prednisone is an evil medicine.. (but good too.. )

Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #179 on: August 07, 2007, 06:48:51 PM »

I thought mine might be related to the fact that I've had osteoporosis for some years, and in addition to that, transplant meds are known to cause osteoporosis also, so I have a bit of a double-whammy there. But my GP doesn't seem to think the joint troubles are related to my osteoporosis.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #180 on: August 07, 2007, 06:51:11 PM »

Ah.... yeah... well let's hope it's something seperate and fixable.  :grouphug;

Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #181 on: August 07, 2007, 08:02:10 PM »

I'm hoping so! thanks.  :)
highlite36

« Reply #182 on: August 11, 2007, 06:42:51 PM »

I found that prednisone caused a lot of swelling....and that just made it hurt to do basic functions like walking....  I still walk kinda funny and slow.  And yes, I was also told that it caused osteoporosis.  In fact, because I had to be on such high doses of prednisone for so long, I had to get bone density scans every six months or so just to check and make sure that  my bones were still doing okay.....  On my last scan, I found that I now have osteopenia and I've also got pretty severe osteo-arthritis.....  I find that Tylenol every six hours or so works pretty well.  I also find that working out those body parts that hurt the most helps it to relax quite a bit...... 

ESRD February 2002
Transplant from living non-related donor November 7, 2002
Lost transplant April 2005
Diagnosed with Heart Failure February 2006
Currently on Peritoneal Dialysis, awaiting to be well enough to FINALLY get placed
on the Transplant List.  :-)  I can't wait!!!!
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #183 on: August 12, 2007, 07:09:20 AM »

Love reading all these posts. You guys have made me feel so welcome. I like comparing notes. I have pain too, seems like a minor thing after the kidney problems. I hate to complain about it, but my doctors are so nice. Isn't it amazing how so many things are related to kidney function. I was refered for a sleep study. I am curious to see what they find. The doctior was telling me about how sleep effects metabolism and hormones. He's checking iron levels ect. Even though all of that has been with in normal limits, some times IV iron can relieve the pain.

Best wishes to all that have had a transplant.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
« previous next »