I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 02:31:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  The date!!!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The date!!!  (Read 30910 times)
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #150 on: June 22, 2007, 05:46:16 AM »

Starting to get better now. He's just been so sore, with all that extra handling they had to do. He was really miserable for a while. He doesn't tell me that, when I ring and ask, but I get the truth out of mum *sneaky* :)

But he has been doing some walking around and getting back to normal. Still has a few weeks off work (very little income, therefore, which is a bit of a worry for them). I think he'll be just fine in the long run. He comes from tough, farming stock my dad.

We make em tough out here don't we Louise.  at least you can find out about your dad the sneaky way  ;)

Good to see your kidney is working great!

Tamara xxx ooo  :cuddle;

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #151 on: June 22, 2007, 06:14:40 AM »

Glad to hear that everything is going so wonderfully.

It's not easy being green.
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #152 on: June 22, 2007, 07:27:51 AM »

Great  to hear CB that all is going so well.  :2thumbsup;

Amanda
xxoo
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #153 on: June 28, 2007, 05:29:51 AM »

Still no word on the stent removal. I'm at the 4-week mark as of yesterday. Yesterday my routine urine sample was showing white blood cells, so they sent it to pathology to ensure I didn't have a bladder infection, and I started a course of anti-biotics just in case. But no infection showed up, so the anti biotics have been stopped.

Had a little fright today, but it turned out to be nothing serious. I was, fortunately, right in the room with one of my doctors (not one of my renal appointments) and I was literally mid-sentence telling her how great I'd been since the transplant - and suddenly I got all faint, light headed, nauseous and HOT HOT HOT. Apparently though I was cold to the touch and my pulse had gone really slow, I was also shaking badly and my doctor said I had instantly gone pale too. I had to lie down, couldn't even stay sitting up. So they called an ambulance and sent me to the hospital, because obviously you don't take any chances with a new kidney.

The renal registrar who I see at clinic 3 times a week came to see me as soon as I got in, ran various tests and everything was okay. In short, I just had what was effectively a bit of a faint spell. I felt fine by this stage, and they were happy for me to go home and rest (I had been planning to head into town to join my team for our weekly trivia night, but I guess that just wasn't to be, today!).

I have clinic again first thing in the morning, so I'll get followed up then too, but obviously everything is fine. My blood pressure and pulse went back to normal pretty quickly, though the shakes took a while to settle. Renal docs think this is due to the cyclosporin, as my levels have been high. We have just reduced my dose and will be possibly looking at reducing it again tomorrow.

Phew. That was a little scary for a short amount of time, there!
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #154 on: June 28, 2007, 09:48:29 AM »

Glad the scare is over and your doing good hun.  :grouphug;  I'm so happy another IHD member is transplanted and on their way to having a wonderful *normal* life.. makes me smile!

:yahoo;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #155 on: June 28, 2007, 10:43:39 PM »

I'll be much happier once the stent removal is over with. I'm all nervous about that for some reason.
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #156 on: July 08, 2007, 05:24:20 AM »

Stent is being removed on Tuesday! I might just pop a little Xanax tablet before I go in, help me relax. I'm not a pill popper, don't get me wrong. But I'm just nervous about this. So silly of me, really, considering I coped so well in the lead up to the transplant, and the stent removal is such a small thing in comparison!   :urcrazy;
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #157 on: July 08, 2007, 10:23:25 AM »

Hope all goes well Louise. How are you feeling otherwise?
Best,
Karol :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #158 on: July 08, 2007, 10:31:27 AM »

Good luck :)

Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #159 on: July 08, 2007, 05:47:20 PM »

Hope all goes well Louise. How are you feeling otherwise?
Best,
Karol :cuddle;

Not bad, but quite sore around the scar. A bit bothered by some medication side effects, but can't really complain about much. I have much more energy than before the transplant.
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #160 on: July 09, 2007, 01:51:36 AM »

Great news!  You just keep on keeping on.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #161 on: July 09, 2007, 04:29:00 AM »

Glad you are doing well CB. Congratulation!
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #162 on: July 09, 2007, 05:36:00 PM »

I forgot to take my medication last night. The info I was sent home with said that if you forget for more than 6 hours, then skip that dose and take the next dose as normal. So that is what I have done, just taken this morning's dose as normal, but skipped last night's.

Having only missed that one dose, I feel absolutely terrible. My temperature has been high all morning and I feel nauseous and shaky. I am supposed to be having the stent removed today, I guess it will still go ahead.

I called the transplant nurse very early this morning, and told her what had happened, and she said that basically what I have done was all I could do (e.g. skip the dose and take this morning's). But now, a few hours later, I'm still worried because my temp hasn't come down. I've been on the phone trying to get hold of somebody at the renal unit - I did speak to another renal nurse who I don't know, and she was going to get the transplant nurse to call me back, but I haven't heard back yet.

I am due at the hospital for the stent removal in less than 2 hours anyway, perhaps I should just go in early and try to find a doctor to check me over? I could always head in to the emergency room, I guess, though they tend to keep you waiting for many hours anyway.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #163 on: July 09, 2007, 05:58:01 PM »

How high is your temperature? Jenna's surgeon removed her stent, and if she had felt as you do I believe they would have examined her vitals before going forward.
I hope everything works out.
 :cuddle;

Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #164 on: July 09, 2007, 06:07:35 PM »

It was 37.9 C when I woke up. Now it's around 37.7 C - not overly high, but still too high.

Heading to the hospital now, I'll probably get there an hour or so early and that will give me time to drop in to the renal ward and find a doctor or somebody before the stent removal.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #165 on: July 09, 2007, 09:43:25 PM »

Hope it all worked out for you hun.  :grouphug;

BTW: My experience with going to the ER after a transplant is a lot less wait time when you tell the triage nurse you have had a transplant, they seem to move you along faster, at least in my own experience.

Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #166 on: July 10, 2007, 02:04:28 AM »

I was held up and didn't get to the hospital early enough to visit the renal ward or ER first, so I went straight to the day surgery area for my stent removal appointment, but spoke with the nurses and doctor about this morning's situation. By then my temperature had come down, and they didn't seem concerned. The doctor was the surgeon who operated on my dad, and I have plenty of faith in him. So, since he was unconcerned, I am not going to worry. My temp has remained down (enough, anyway) this afternoon and this evening.

The stent removal went fine, though it was a pretty horrible process imo. Not necessarily overly painful (though it did hurt a little bit) but certainly extremely uncomfortable and seemed to take longer than I thought it would, and although I was trying to keep my breathing relaxed etc, I was clinging onto the edges of the stretcher, white knuckled and very unhappy! This whole process was followed by a particularly painful anti-biotic needle in my thigh. I'm usually okay with needles, but this one really hurt, and the site is still very sore now.

But at least it's over with!
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #167 on: July 10, 2007, 06:28:26 AM »

Well even though it was a bit painful I'm glad to here your fever went down and everything went well with the removal.

It's not easy being green.
Rose From OZ

« Reply #168 on: July 10, 2007, 06:37:01 AM »

Hello Cycobully, Is the stent a new thing they use? When i had my transplant I am pretty sure they did not use it. So glad Everything is going good for you. 
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #169 on: July 10, 2007, 09:52:09 AM »

Hello Cycobully, Is the stent a new thing they use? When i had my transplant I am pretty sure they did not use it. So glad Everything is going good for you. 
Not everyone needs a stent after transplant. I never had one either of my transplants.

Roxy

« Reply #170 on: July 10, 2007, 12:42:31 PM »

If I remember correctly from when my doctors explained it to me, the stent is placed to reduce urological problems that can occur after transplant.
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #171 on: July 10, 2007, 05:14:11 PM »

Hello Cycobully, Is the stent a new thing they use? 

I have no idea! I just assumed it was routine. All the patients who had a transplant around the same time as me had a stent also (the stent goes into the ureter). It stays there for 4-6 weeks before removal. That's all I know.  :)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #172 on: July 10, 2007, 10:03:37 PM »

Major urological complications (MUCs) after kidney transplantation contribute to patient morbidity and compromise graft function. The majority arise from the vesico-ureteric anastomosis and present early after transplantation. Ureteric stents have been successfully used to treat such complications. A number of centres have adopted a policy of universal prophylactic stenting, at the time of graft implantation, to reduce the incidence of urine leaks and ureteric stenosis. Stents are associated with specific complications and some centres advocate a policy of only stenting selected anastomoses.

http://www.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab004925.html

Basically it is to help the connection between the bladder and the ureter from the new kidney.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #173 on: July 10, 2007, 10:31:00 PM »

A stent is a narrow, hollow plastic tube that runs between the kidney and bladder, inside of the ureter that normally carries urine between those organs. The stent holds the ureter open and allows drainage of urine.

Patients who have had surgery involving the ureter have a stent placed to allow the ureter to remain open while the normal postoperative swelling resolves and it can heal.

The stent is held in place by its design, which incorporates "pig tail" spiraling where it is located in the kidney and bladder.

Usually, before removal, a cystoscopy (look into the bladder) will be performed. The end of the stent will be grabbed with surgical forceps and the stent will be removed.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 10:38:41 PM by okarol » Logged

Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #174 on: July 10, 2007, 11:18:19 PM »

Thanks for all that info, very useful! You guys are great, as always!  :2thumbsup;
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »