I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 05:28:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  RLS, Restless Legs Syndrome. Here's a new drug you might want to try.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: RLS, Restless Legs Syndrome. Here's a new drug you might want to try.  (Read 22464 times)
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« on: December 20, 2005, 12:31:08 AM »

http://www.requip.com/

I just saw the commercial for the first time. Ask you doctor about it. But it is for people who have 15+ episodes a month. It sounds promising let us know if any of you try it out.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 09:14:44 AM »

I went to the Neph today and asked him about the restless legs and cramping all the time. He told me to try drinking a little tonic water. Remember though, I'm not on Dialysis so I don't have to watch my intake yet.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 12:25:01 PM »

oh ya I saw that commercial on TV advertising it!

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 06:36:25 AM »

Epoman have you tried requip yet? Does it work?
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 12:01:16 PM »

Epoman have you tried requip yet? Does it work?

No, sorry I don't get it that often anymore. I usually get RLS only once or twice a month now.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 01:07:44 AM »

does it get a lot better on daily/nightly dialysis?

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Mom3

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 07:51:03 AM »

That tonic water is for the traces of quinine in it. Quinine is an old drug that works for leg cramps.

Mom 3

Sickness is a hindrance to the body, but not to the will, unless the will consent.
Epictetus
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 09:40:22 AM »

That tonic water is for the traces of quinine in it. Quinine is an old drug that works for leg cramps.

Mom 3
I am so glad to hear that.  I would not say that I have definite RLS, but sometimes before I go to sleep they do get a bit restless.  The other thing is that I really like tonic water.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 02:02:58 PM by bajanne2000 » Logged

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
JerseyGirl

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 11:29:50 AM »

One of my cycler patients use this and he says it really helps him.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 03:26:33 PM »

I only get RLS mainly when I am feeling crappy or have too much fluid on me or am overly tired .. okay .. that is a lot of the time .. but I don't get RLS as much as other people seem to and I don't know why.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
nkviking75

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 04:13:24 PM »

This probably won't be appropriate for everyone, but I deal with RLS (no formal diagnosis of that, by the way) by pedalling on a set of bicycle pedals.  They're just pedals mounted on a frame.  I've bought two over the years, the first for $55 and the second for $30.  It helps me burn off my restlessness, it gives me an excuse to change positions, and I get a little exercise to boot.  The staff at my unit is fine with it.  In fact, they encourage me to use the pedals.
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006, 05:13:15 PM »

This probably won't be appropriate for everyone, but I deal with RLS (no formal diagnosis of that, by the way) by pedalling on a set of bicycle pedals.  They're just pedals mounted on a frame.  I've bought two over the years, the first for $55 and the second for $30.  It helps me burn off my restlessness, it gives me an excuse to change positions, and I get a little exercise to boot.  The staff at my unit is fine with it.  In fact, they encourage me to use the pedals.

Where did you buy them?

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
nkviking75

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006, 05:48:31 PM »

Where did you buy them?

Medical supply stores.  The first set was at a chain called American Home Patient, the second set at a local store that just started up a few months ago.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 05:17:19 AM »

I thought all units have those! Mine does! It helps the body remove 20% more toxins from the body during dialysis to use the peddles.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
nkviking75

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006, 09:08:51 AM »

I thought all units have those! Mine does! It helps the body remove 20% more toxins from the body during dialysis to use the peddles.

Not that I doubt you, but do you have any evidence to back that up?  I'd like some documentation for the nurses at my unit.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2006, 06:27:46 PM »

Not that I doubt you, but do you have any evidence to back that up?  I'd like some documentation for the nurses at my unit.
Yes, but I will have to search the D&T City forums again for it. I will post it when I find it again. Wait .. I have it in my Copernic backups ..

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=43306

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2006, 06:31:32 PM »

What is a copernic backup?
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2006, 07:02:09 PM »

What is a copernic backup?
Copernic Search Software and by backup I meant past search results I have saved in it.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
nkviking75

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2006, 05:53:20 PM »

Thanks for the link, Angie.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2006, 07:31:09 PM »

Thanks for the link, Angie.
No problem! Anytime ;)

I also have a list of search engines ;) lol

So anyway, did you read that article that I mentioned earlier? It proves that biking during dialysis helps remove more toxins. What did you think about it? I am not sure if it actually helps with RLS but it can't hurt :P

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
nkviking75

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2006, 10:08:11 PM »

So anyway, did you read that article that I mentioned earlier? It proves that biking during dialysis helps remove more toxins. What did you think about it? I am not sure if it actually helps with RLS but it can't hurt :P

I only had time to skim it.  I intend to look at it more closely.  I showed it to our dietician today and she was quite excited about it.  I believe she'll share it with the staff.  Not sure what will come of it.  They've always encouraged me to pedal just for the exercise, but with a kt/v stuck around 1, anything that improves my results is crucial.  (Low kt/v is why I do four days.)

EDITED:  Fixed Quote Tag - Goofynina/Moderator
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 10:21:24 PM by goofynina » Logged
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2006, 01:59:28 AM »

I only had time to skim it.  I intend to look at it more closely.  I showed it to our dietitian today and she was quite excited about it.  I believe she'll share it with the staff.  Not sure what will come of it.  They've always encouraged me to pedal just for the exercise, but with a kt/v stuck around 1, anything that improves my results is crucial.  (Low kt/v is why I do four days.)
Wow my kt/v is always around 1.7+! But I DO bike ;) When I printed that out and brought it to my unit the nurse just put it in my "bin" so I actually had to take it and pin it up on the board myself  >:(

I was hoping any of the other patients would read it but it seems I am the ONLY one in the "Self Unit" who cares to learn more .. the others just want to get in .. do their time .. and leave.  :-\

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
imacrash

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2006, 12:27:08 AM »

very interresting topic.  I always thought that I too suffered from RLS until my neph doc had me see a neurologist who Dx me with Myoclonic jerks(seizures).  He said it was due to the BUN levels changing during dialysis.  I take 1 Rx everyday, an anti-convulsant...and 1 Rx on dialysis days.  Most days at dialysis are controlled now, and the jerking at night isn't so bad anymore.  Now if I could just get my phosphorus under control and stop all this itching!!!!!!
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2006, 12:20:46 PM »

Scratch scratch! I send a scratch to you. I itch too.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Panda_9

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2006, 05:34:52 AM »

very interresting topic.  I always thought that I too suffered from RLS until my neph doc had me see a neurologist who Dx me with Myoclonic jerks(seizures).  He said it was due to the BUN levels changing during dialysis.  I take 1 Rx everyday, an anti-convulsant...and 1 Rx on dialysis days.  Most days at dialysis are controlled now, and the jerking at night isn't so bad anymore.  Now if I could just get my phosphorus under control and stop all this itching!!!!!!

What is Rx?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »