I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 07:43:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  RLS, Restless Legs Syndrome. Here's a new drug you might want to try.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: RLS, Restless Legs Syndrome. Here's a new drug you might want to try.  (Read 22466 times)
Ginger

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2006, 08:36:07 AM »

Rx=prescription
Panda_9

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2006, 01:21:52 AM »

How can you "take" a prescription?  :-\
nkviking75

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2006, 07:52:28 PM »

Thanks for the link, Angie.
No problem! Anytime ;)

I also have a list of search engines ;) lol

So anyway, did you read that article that I mentioned earlier? It proves that biking during dialysis helps remove more toxins. What did you think about it? I am not sure if it actually helps with RLS but it can't hurt :P

I did read it, and it makes sense to me.  But to me, that's a side benefit.  My pattern is that I can sleep sporadically in the first hour or so, and then I wake up and start squirming like mad.  Pedalling allows me to channel that energy.  I also get a little exercise.  Granted, it's not strenuous, but I need all I can get.  And it gives me a break from being stuck in one position for four hours.  I don't find it easy to turn on my side in our chairs.  The pedals have even been good for a few laughs.  I tell people I get a discount for generating my own electricity.   :D
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2006, 12:08:12 PM »

How can you "take" a prescription?  :-\

Like, ingest it. 

I thought you were a nurse...are you not?

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Panda_9

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2006, 11:17:21 PM »

A prescription is a piece of paper. Imacrash said "I take 1 Rx everyday". What I wanted to know was, what drug is it?
Sorry I just don't understand what is meant by that saying.
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2006, 04:48:33 AM »

A prescription is a piece of paper. Imacrash said "I take 1 Rx everyday". What I wanted to know was, what drug is it?
Sorry I just don't understand what is meant by that saying.

We sometimes use the word "prescription" to mean "prescribed medicine."  Sorry, I didn't mean any offense, just was wondering.

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Panda_9

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2006, 05:45:48 AM »

Oh ok. I always say what the meds are called, as they could be anything.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2006, 06:16:51 AM »

Thanks for the link, Angie.
No problem! Anytime ;)

I also have a list of search engines ;) lol

So anyway, did you read that article that I mentioned earlier? It proves that biking during dialysis helps remove more toxins. What did you think about it? I am not sure if it actually helps with RLS but it can't hurt :P

I did read it, and it makes sense to me.  But to me, that's a side benefit.  My pattern is that I can sleep sporadically in the first hour or so, and then I wake up and start squirming like mad.  Pedalling allows me to channel that energy.  I also get a little exercise.  Granted, it's not strenuous, but I need all I can get.  And it gives me a break from being stuck in one position for four hours.  I don't find it easy to turn on my side in our chairs.  The pedals have even been good for a few laughs.  I tell people I get a discount for generating my own electricity.   :D
Ya I find I can't turn on my side neither. With how my fistula is I would be too scared to screw up my dialysis. I would sleep through the alarms (I know after awhile i wouldn't just like when I was on PD at night times but somehow needles seem more scarey than a tube in my peritoneum). But even when my permcath was being used alone I still could not sleep on my side. And that is normally the most comfortable for me.

I like to bike for 1 hr as it keeps my legs from jumping and while watching TV I don't notice the time. For some reason the nurses always seem to be surprised that I bike for a whole hour.

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2006, 09:10:22 AM »

Well to answer the question that Epo posted in the begining of this post... Yes, I take Requip... and for me, it works. I haven't had a RLS episode since I started taking Requip a few months ago.  :thumbup;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2006, 03:04:52 PM »

Well to answer the question that Epo posted in the begining of this post... Yes, I take Requip... and for me, it works. I haven't had a RLS episode since I started taking Requip a few months ago.  :thumbup;
Wish they had that in Canada :(

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2006, 05:09:05 PM »

I have to do something, my legs have been terrible. I go to the neph tomorrow.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2006, 02:20:08 PM »

I've been taking requip now for 5 days and it is finally starting to help. Whew it was getting pretty bad. But why did it take five days to start helping. I was given a 14 day trial pack.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2006, 07:14:34 PM »

I've been taking requip now for 5 days and it is finally starting to help. Whew it was getting pretty bad. But why did it take five days to start helping. I was given a 14 day trial pack.

Let me ask you this... did they start you on a certain dosage and then tell you after a few days to lower it? Or not? The reason I ask is when I started taking Requip I was started on a certain dosage (i dont remember the dosage) for like 2 days and then it was lowered to the dosage I take now... and I was told it takes a few days before you start to feel the effects of the medicine working, but once it starts working, and as long as you take it each night, it will continue to work. I have been taking Requip for 3 months now and haven't had any problems with my RLS since. Hope it works well for you!  :thumbup;

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2006, 07:28:00 PM »

Let me ask you this... did they start you on a certain dosage and then tell you after a few days to lower it? Or not? The reason I ask is when I started taking Requip I was started on a certain dosage (i dont remember the dosage) for like 2 days and then it was lowered to the dosage I take now... and I was told it takes a few days before you start to feel the effects of the medicine working, but once it starts working, and as long as you take it each night, it will continue to work. I have been taking Requip for 3 months now and haven't had any problems with my RLS since. Hope it works well for you!  :thumbup;

I was given a 14 day trial pack and it starts at 0.25 mg for the first 2 days then 5 days at 0.5mg and now I start the next 7 days will be 1mg tablets.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 07:29:40 PM by sluff » Logged
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2006, 08:21:41 PM »

I was given a 14 day trial pack and it starts at 0.25 mg for the first 2 days then 5 days at 0.5mg and now I start the next 7 days will be 1mg tablets.

Sounds right.. So are you going to be getting a prescription? Do you like it?

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2006, 05:04:19 AM »

I'm going to wait until monday to requesta perscription. Last night was a little rough again but still better than without requip.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2006, 03:40:34 PM »

Sluff, what helped me alot was when my sister gave me one of those stationary peddling things, they sell them at Walgreens.  I would do it right before i went to bed for 10 minutes or so.  Just a suggestion...:)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2006, 03:50:16 PM »

Sluff, what helped me alot was when my sister gave me one of those stationary peddling things, they sell them at Walgreens.  I would do it right before i went to bed for 10 minutes or so.  Just a suggestion...:)

Thanks

I'll have to try it.

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2006, 08:35:16 PM »

Update!!

I have been taking 2mg requip now for 3 weeks and my RLS has greatly improved. Occasional achiness but the restless part is gone at night.
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2006, 08:42:59 PM »

Update!!

I have been taking 2mg requip now for 3 weeks and my RLS has greatly improved. Occasional achiness but the restless part is gone at night.

Very good news!!!  Hope it continues to improve.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2006, 08:43:53 PM »

Thanks Black.
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2007, 05:52:05 AM »

It's been a full week since I've had a nights sleep which didn't involve lying wide awake for about 6 hours and eventually getting off to sleep at about 5am. Every night I get hooked up to the cycler at 11pm and settle down for a nights sleep. So far so good. After feeling nice and comforable for about half an hour I then start feelling not so comfortable and change sleeping position. And then again about a minute later and then I find I can't seem to keep my legs still.This then progressively gets worse as the night continues until I'm just in perpetual motion for hours. When I sit up or get out of bed and pace the bedroom for about five minutes then it appears to go. So I get back to bed and within five minutes it's back again. Iv'e tried doing a first fill and disconecting during dwell time and then going to bed just before the next drain is due which is then about 1am but it hasn't made any difference. Has anyone else experienced this as I understand it can be a feature in ESRD. The doc has given me clonazapam which I've taken over 3 nights without any effect. It really is pissing me off as I've had to take sick leave from work all this week.  :banghead;

EDITED: Merged Topics RLS - Sluff, Moderator

« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 08:43:13 AM by sluff » Logged

Ken
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2007, 05:57:29 AM »

I used to take conazapam, but its especially made for Parkinsons Disease. You shoud talk t your doctor about trying Requip, especially made for RLS, it worked for me and a few others I know who have tried it. Good luck.

Black
Elite Member

« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2007, 07:40:17 AM »

My husband has done very well on Lyrica.  He ran out and was off of it for a few days and he said he had forgotten how bad it was without it.  Back on it was huge difference and he has slept much better.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2007, 08:58:20 AM »

Does anyone know if there is an equivilant to Requip in Canada?

I was on Levocarb and now am on Mirapex but both aren't working. I got so tired of nothing working and those being my only option that I started taking both at the same time. I am tired of only sleeping 2 hrs per night.

I really need advice :( I gotta go to work today and am soooo tired right now.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »