I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:11:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  How to settle the upset stomach
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How to settle the upset stomach  (Read 21257 times)
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« on: April 04, 2007, 09:46:22 AM »

My stomach has been so upset lately.... my doctor said it is probably from the failure.... anyone have tips on how to settle the stomach???  I'm getting desperate!

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 10:32:43 AM »

The good news is, once you get thru the first few months of dialysis, the stomach problems will probably go away.  Mine did.  I've got diabetic gastroparesis, and the higher my toxin levels got, the worse it got.  I was taking reglan on a regular basis for a while there, trying not to throw up whatever I was eating.  I haven't needed them much at all in the last few weeks - I think I've only taken one or two the whole time.

In the meantime, try and keep track of what you're eating, and see what makes things the worst.  You can avoid some things temporarily, until you start to feel better.  I ate a lot of saltines and drank broth - two things that always helped settle my stomach. 

Hang in there!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 11:09:13 AM »

For me, driving/riding in a car upset my stomach tremendously. Not eating before getting in the car, then having saltines/pretzels helped. Warm coke (I know, phosphates, but sometimes you gotta!), hot tea helped too.
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 11:12:01 AM »

The good news is, once you get thru the first few months of dialysis, the stomach problems will probably go away.  Mine did.  I've got diabetic gastroparesis, and the higher my toxin levels got, the worse it got.  I was taking reglan on a regular basis for a while there, trying not to throw up whatever I was eating.  I haven't needed them much at all in the last few weeks - I think I've only taken one or two the whole time.

In the meantime, try and keep track of what you're eating, and see what makes things the worst.  You can avoid some things temporarily, until you start to feel better.  I ate a lot of saltines and drank broth - two things that always helped settle my stomach. 

Hang in there!

The problem is, I haven't even started dialysis yet.  I will soon tho. ugh!  I just feel awful.

Thanks for the advice tho... I will go eat some saltines, maybe it will help.

MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 11:13:59 AM »

Oh man. Definitely saltines/pretzels. I would suck on them, serious! I remember that feeling of nausea very well.
Be careful of foods, you'll notice some will affect you more than others. But do try the warm coke, it does work.
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 11:37:21 AM »

Do you think warm Dr. Pepper would work??

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 11:45:19 AM »

Do you like ginger ale?  Ginger in any form helps settle the stomach.  Peppermints are supposed to do this as well - which is why restaurants frequently offer mints after meals. (It's not just about the breath!)

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 11:55:23 AM »

Yes, warm dr. pepper will work! It just has to be a cola, it's something in there that settles it. Even now, if
I have an upset stomach, I take a coke/dr. pepper to settle it.  Ginger ale, as jbeany noted is good too!
Peppermints, as well as ginger, either in candy form or tea form would work as well.
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 01:12:47 PM »

Thanks so much for the help.  I didn't have any cola so I got in my car to drive to the store to get a dr. pepper.  I noticed I had some mint gum so I started to chew it.  Wow, it really helped... this was BEFORE yall told me than mint would help.... now I come home to read your post and had to chuckle  ;D

Again, thanks for the help!  I know I will be using your hints alot!!!

Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 03:24:25 PM »

Go to any health food store and pick up "Powerdophilis"  It's a more concentrated version of Acidophilis.  I wake up nausoue on dialysis days and take one in the afernoon and the evening.  I haven't thrown up in months and it keeps good bacteria in your intestinal system.  You can get a huge bottle for about $20 to $30 dollars but it's well worth the investment.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
brenda

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 06:43:28 PM »

I always used and still use peppermint tea for nausea. I even used it on my kids when they were little. I grow my own but you can buy it fresh in the Health food section in most grocery stores. Just don't make it very strong, sip it and remember fluid restrictions.

Life is what happens while your making other plans.
PMP

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 06:50:26 PM »

Yes, warm dr. pepper will work! It just has to be a cola, it's something in there that settles it. Even now, if
I have an upset stomach, I take a coke/dr. pepper to settle it.  Ginger ale, as jbeany noted is good too!
Peppermints, as well as ginger, either in candy form or tea form would work as well.

I've looked for ginger candy and have never able to find it.  Any suggestions?  I love ginger tea!!  Just can't find the candy.

Thanks.

Pat
mymoonring

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 07:23:04 PM »

When ever i get an upset tummy I drink Pepperment teatakes of the nausea and also taste yummie ;D
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 08:07:12 AM »

PMP, I wish I did have suggestions on how to get ginger candy! I don't know, I had heard this, and knew from
experience that ginger does work for nausea. I'll do some searching and see what I can find out for you!
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007, 01:37:54 PM »

http://www.morningsicknesshelp.com/ginger.html

PMP, I did find this, and apparently Reed's makes candy as well. If you google it, you will find a lot more!
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2007, 03:07:50 PM »

These are some fantastic tips, i am definetly going to stock up on some of these items cuz sometimes my stomach is just not "upset" but PISSED OFF!!! :p   Thanks again friends  :grouphug;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2007, 04:38:40 PM »

shhhh. Don't tell anyone in the medical field...but when I have been sick, one of my
foods I eat to feel better is....McDonalds fries. It has to be McDonalds.  I swear! It
works!
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2007, 04:49:56 PM »

shhhh. Don't tell anyone in the medical field...but when I have been sick, one of my
foods I eat to feel better is....McDonalds fries. It has to be McDonalds.  I swear! It
works!

I hear ya,  McDonalds fries can make anyone or anything feel better ;)  i know that for a fact  :thumbup;

www.kidneyoogle.com
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2007, 04:56:53 PM »

Ginger is the #1 in my region for stomach upsets.  My daughter says that my father prescribed ginger for everything.  This is how she put it - "You have upset stomach - have some ginger tea!  You have a headache - have some ginger tea!  You have AIDS - have some ginger tea!"
Ginger exists in every form in the Caribbean and is readily obtained - fresh ginger, ginger ale, ginger soda, ginger tea, ginger beer (really just gingerade), ginger mints (with no mint in them, just ginger), powdered ginger, sugared ginger, dried ginger.
But it does settle nausea well.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2007, 04:59:05 PM »

Ginger, Ginger, Ginger, no one ever mentions MaryAnn or Mrs. Howell, :P :P

(just some Gilligan's Island humor) i know, i know, my bad  ::)

www.kidneyoogle.com
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2007, 06:30:47 PM »

Chamomile tea, warm with a little sugar or sweetener.  Cures an upset tummy.  I throw 7up back up as well as Sprite.  Nasty stuff! My tummy gets upset according to what I eat. Potato chips upset it, but not french fries.  Also it comes and goes according to blood pressure and stress in my life.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
meadowlandsnj

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2007, 01:49:42 PM »

PMP, I wish I did have suggestions on how to get ginger candy! I don't know, I had heard this, and knew from
experience that ginger does work for nausea. I'll do some searching and see what I can find out for you!

Vermont Country Store sells ginger candy that's pretty good.  Their catalog is very entertaining as well if you're into that.

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/jump.jsp?itemID=0&itemType=HOME_PAGE

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2007, 02:55:25 PM »

I went to WalGreens last night looking for GingerAle and they didnt have it,  do i have to go to a liquor store to get it?  cuz i will along with a bottle of tequila to chase it down :P ;)

www.kidneyoogle.com
anja

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2007, 11:01:09 PM »

About the ginger candy, it has been my experience that the Asian grocers keep this on their shelves.  You might want to check them out.
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2007, 07:11:14 AM »

STARBUCKS!!! They have hard ginger candy! I just saw it yesterday, also, an international store, such as Pier! might have it, I found some in
the World Import store (or whatever it's called.)  I also got some ginger cookies for myself, I love that stuff!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »