I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:22:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  How to settle the upset stomach
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How to settle the upset stomach  (Read 21300 times)
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2007, 09:30:40 AM »

I have acid reflux and when it gets bad to the point that I need to take something other than my meds for it I use Gaviscon.  It works really well for that and for easing my upset stomachs.

It's not easy being green.
Chicken Little

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2007, 10:27:12 AM »

We consume a lot of ginger, as my hubby is out on scuba boats a couple times a week.  The best source, by far, is The Ginger People.  http://www.gingerpeople.com/products.html  They sell it in health food and gourmet grocers in my area, but I've ordered online from them too.  I like the Gin-Gin hard candies and my hubby likes the chews.  We also get the juice and make a drink with diet 7up and a splash of both ginger and pineapple juice.  I would have thought the acid from the juice would be terrible, but it's killed my nausea every time.   :2thumbsup;

Before I started dialysis my stomach was so messed up.  Alien material came out of my body regularly.   I hope your tummy problems get better soon donnia. 
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2007, 12:13:10 PM »

Wow, so i guess Ginger it is, i am really going to have to go hunting for the stuff and stock up cuz my stomach has been getting "Pissed Off" more and more lately ;)  Thank you all for the suggestions..  :2thumbsup;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2007, 05:52:42 PM »

Vernon's Ginger Ale or root beer. Yummy!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2007, 06:46:08 AM »

MMMMMMM Rooooot beer. (Think Homer Simpson!). I looove that stuff. We're trying some
this weekend, with real vanilla and real cane sugar. Oh my gosh. Oh. It is so good.
JerseyGirl

« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2007, 07:41:31 AM »

McDonald's french fries - yum yum!  They cure all that ails you...tee hee!
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2007, 08:46:21 PM »

OK, so my stomach has been "pissed off" all day today, i think it is gas but not too sure,  i have already drank me a whole liter of Ginger Ale (not too bad tasting by the way) :P  and got no relief.  I have taken Gas-X to no relief and now, hubby has just went to buy me an honest to goodness can of coke, my last resort,  the pain is so excruciating it has me doubled over,  Please help, 

Signed,
Full of Hot Air (literally)  :-\

www.kidneyoogle.com
anja

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2007, 09:25:26 PM »

Too bad your tummy is causing you so much grief~ have you stopped the Tums since your lab report?  Did you ever get any candied ginger to try?  Sure hope something helps soon, Goofynina.  If it is gas, laying on your left side will help the natural movement of things.  My doctor gave me permission to use Pepto-Bismol, but only 2 or 3 days at most when I was sick a week ago.  Maybe you will need to check with your neph. if it continues to be so painful.
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2007, 09:29:17 PM »

Thank you Anja, i hope i have found the cure, what is it you ask? lol,  a 12oz. can of Coca Cola, ohhhh man,   ;musicalnote; ;musicalnote; oh what a relief it is  ;musicalnote; ;musicalnote; (i know, wrong slogan, but such a relief it is)  I am going to go to bed now and sleep on my left side and hopefully that will help eliminate any extra air bubbles i might have.  Thanks for the tip Anja, and i dont think i would be able to tolerate Pepto Bismol, bad experience when i was a kid :P ;)    XOXOXO Goofynina  :-*

www.kidneyoogle.com
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2007, 05:28:13 PM »

Here it is Sunday and i am STILL suffering from abdominal pains, now i am beginning to worry that it isnt gas at all, i have put in calls to my PD nurse and havent gotten any calls in return, i do not know whether i should go to the hospital, wait a little longer and see if it passes (it's already been a freaken week)  wait to see my neph, but then i am changing nephs so which one do i see?  oh hell, i am lost in limbo and full of hot air. ugh  :(

oh, and Anja, girlfriend, you are so right about sleeping on your left side, that helped alot, ALOT, i am so accustomed to sleeping on my right and the pain was worse but i found a little comfort by sleeping on my left, thank you so much  :2thumbsup;

www.kidneyoogle.com
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2007, 06:46:37 PM »

I rarely have any stomach problems but when I do they are usually acid related.  A rich pasta sauce sometimes causes problems and most of the time it is about six or seven hours after the food was consumed so usually it is in the middle of the night.  I start out with tums which usually helps, if that doesn't work Opremazole (prescription Pepcid) is the next step.  Usually that will completely cure the problem.  Another thing that always seems to help me is a nice glass of cold milk.  It is a good substitute for either or both of the meds I just mentioned.
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2007, 06:52:59 PM »

I have been doing the "drum" test,  you put 3 fingers on your belly and press down and then with your other hand, tap on your three fingers, and if it sounds like a drum then you got air in there, sheeeit, my stomach sounds like the drum scene in King Kong,  ::)

www.kidneyoogle.com
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2007, 08:46:21 PM »

I have been doing the "drum" test,  you put 3 fingers on your belly and press down and then with your other hand, tap on your three fingers, and if it sounds like a drum then you got air in there, sheeeit, my stomach sounds like the drum scene in King Kong,  ::)

Maybe you need to avoid certain foods that now give you gas, even though they may not have in the past.

Also, have you ever tried Beano?  You take it with meals and helps prevent gas.
http://www.beanogas.com/

Remember to check with you PD Nurse to make sure using Beano is OK.

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
anja

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2007, 10:16:17 PM »

Goofynina, do you take anything with your meals for your tummy? (besides your binders)  I take a generic Zantac (acid reducer0 with  EVERY meal and have no more trouble.  I think I remember them trying you on Prilosec or Prevacid and I know they are more costly.  I think I pay a little over $3 for 30 pills.  Might run this by the nephrologist...  Hope you get over the pain quickly.
Kathleen

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2007, 10:07:42 AM »

Susie

When hubby first started on dialysis he was so sick to his tummy, the neph suggested coke syrupy. Which is kept behind the counter at the pharmacy. Don't have to have a script for it. It's a very old time remedy. Hubby never gave it a try, so don't know if it works. Might ask your pd nurse about it.

Kat
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2007, 12:48:03 PM »

Thank you Anja and Kathleen, i see my "new" neph on Wednesday and i am going to ask her about these for if (and/or) when this ever happens again (God please let it be never)  Boy, do i have a list for her, lol, I told my PD nurse not to warn her about me cuz she may not want to accept me :P  lol, thank goodness she remember me for when i was in clinic and she was glad she was going to see me again  :clap;

www.kidneyoogle.com
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »