I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:13:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Political Debates - Thick Skin Required for Entry
| | |-+  Planned Parenthood?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Planned Parenthood?  (Read 29345 times)
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2015, 08:42:19 PM »

Actually the federal government may print the money but the treasury turns it over to the federal reserve which strangely enough is mostly privately held.  The fed is a mostly independent organization that has board members appointed by the president but also board members appointed by the owners of the fed,  So unless the fed agrees the treasury can print as much money as they want but the fed won't put it in circulation,  when the government wants more money they sell bonds, this has a different type of impact on the economy than the release of more currency.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2015, 08:47:41 PM »

We are buying our own debt because nobody wants to buy our bonds. And the last budget cut occurred in FY 74 or 75.  :embarassed:

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2015, 09:52:33 PM »

No money SHOULD be moved into the disability fund from the regular social security fund.  That money in SS is for those that put into it.

PP does not do Mammograms for women.  Does that NOT raise a red flag to anyone.  Community Health facilities is where we need to put that money that we take away from PP.  They help women, children and the occasional male.

Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2015, 04:01:54 AM »

Below is a break down of the planned parent hood services.  Mamagrams require equipment that is expensive, difficult to operate and in most states is almost impossible to det licensed outside of a hospital plus insurance requirements agin are difficult out side of a fospital.

Only 3% of Planned Parenthood's services are abortion services. The other 97% includes testing and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases, contraception, cancer screening and prevention, and pregnancy testing and prenatal services.

Answer: Below is a breakdown of all patient care services* provided by Planned Parenthood affiliate health centers in 2010:

38% - Testing of and treatment for Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Infections (STDs/STIs)
In 2010, Planned Parenthood provided a total of 4,179, 053 services which encompassed:

STI tests for women and men -3,552,955
Genital warts (HPV) treatments - 51, 197
HIV tests for women and men - 574,901
33.5% - Contraception (including reversible and permanent)

In 2010, Planned Parenthood provided a total of 3,685,437 services which encompassed:
Reversible contraception for women** - 2,219,726
Emergency contraception kits - 1,461,816
Vasectomy patients - 3, 290
Female sterilization procedures - 605
14.5% - Cancer screening and prevention

In 2010, Planned Parenthood provided a total of 1,596,741 services which encompassed:
Pap tests -769,769
Breast Exams and Breast Care - 747,607
Colposcopy procedures (for diagnosis of abnormal growth cells in the cervix) - 41,549
LOOP/LEEP procedures (treatment for abnormal growths) - 2,432
Cryotherapy procedures (treatment for abnormal growths - 1,254
Planned Parenthood does not offer mammograms at any of their affiliate health centers but will refer clients to other local providers who do.
10.4% - Other women's health services
In 2010, Planned Parenthood provided a total of 1,144,558 services which encompassed:

Pregnancy tests -1,113,460
Prenatal services - 31,098
3% - Abortion services

In 2010, Planned Parenthood conducted a total of 329, 445 abortion procedures.
0.6% - Other health services
In 2010, Planned Parenthood provided a total of 68,132 services which encompassed:

Family practice services for women and men - 35, 062
Adoption referrals to other agencies - 841
Other procedures for women and men (which include WIC services -- a federally funded nutrition program for low-income women, infants, and children up to the age of five -- as well as pediatric care and immunizations) - 32,229
-----

* As defined by Planned Parenthood, "A service is a discrete clinical interaction, such as the administration of a physical exam or STI test or the provision of a birth control method." In 2010, Planned Parenthood health centers saw approximately three million patients. Collectively, they received nearly 11 million services during nearly five million clinical visits.

** Reversible contraceptive methods chosen by Planned Parenthood clients in 2010:

Oral - 39.5%
Non-prescription barrier - 17.8%
No Method - 11.9%
Progestin-only Injectables - 9.4%
Other/Unknown - 8.4%
Combined Hormone Ring - 5.7%
IUD - 4.1%
Combined Hormone Patch - 2.3%
Contraceptive Implant - 0.7%
Prescription Barrier - 0.1%
Fertility Awareness-based Methods - 0.1%
-----

Sources:
"Jon Kyl says abortion services are 'well over 90 percent of what Planned Parenthood does.'" Politifact.com. 8 April 2011.
"Mammogram." Planned Parenthood Federation of America. PlannedParenthood.org. Retrieved 16 February 2012.
McCormack, John. "Planned Parenthood President Falsely Claimed Clinics Provide Mammograms." WeeklyStandard.com. 30 March 2011.
Robertson, Lori and Michael Morse. "Planned Parenthood." FactCheck.org. 18 April 2011. "Services." Planned Parenthood Federation of America.
Related Articles

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2015, 09:57:23 AM »

With so many being allowed to flood in to our country, I wonder who is going to pay for their dialysis and any other related kidney disease expenses, not to mention their birth control, food and clothing. With so many out of work, it's not like the govt has a stash of money laying around and they cannot just keep printing money.
Immigrants and their relatives vote heavily Democratic once they get citizenship (and some would argue sometimes before them).   These are not being viewed as drains by the administration, but as future democratic votes.

iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2015, 10:07:13 AM »

With so many being allowed to flood in to our country, I wonder who is going to pay for their dialysis and any other related kidney disease expenses, not to mention their birth control, food and clothing. With so many out of work, it's not like the govt has a stash of money laying around and they cannot just keep printing money.

This is completely off topic but that quote just seems odd to me.  Most immigrants I see are working (hard) here in the US.  So I looked up a quote:
In 2014, the labor force participation rate of the foreign born was 66.0 percent, compared with 62.3 percent for the native born.
The participation rate of foreign-born men was 78.7 percent in 2014, higher than the rate of 67.4 percent for native-born men. In contrast, 53.9 percent of foreign-born women were labor force participants, lower than the rate of 57.5 percent for native-born women.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/forbrn.nr0.htm

I would argue that we will do much better as a country than say Japan as our population ages if we have immigrants and their children who are working and helping to fund any underfunded programs such as social security or Medicare.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2015, 10:18:28 AM »

Meanwhile...we have "new arrivals" every day coming into our country that are not employed, do not have US citizenship yet or otherwise contributing to social security who may want and need services such as dialysis or even services from groups such as planned parenthood. In my opinion, that is a terrific drain on our already strained resources.

I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2015, 12:20:13 PM »

The strange reality is over the last 10 years illegal imigrants paid over 110 billion dollars into social security and Medicare funds even though they were not eligible for benefits. The government tracks the these and publishes these number annually.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2015, 02:05:37 PM »

Meanwhile...we have "new arrivals" every day coming into our country that are not employed, do not have US citizenship yet or otherwise contributing to social security who may want and need services such as dialysis or even services from groups such as planned parenthood. In my opinion, that is a terrific drain on our already strained resources.

Then we should allow them to work and to contribute to SS. 

Our resources are not strained.  We have plenty of money.  It's just that those in power (and who have money) find ways to evade taxation.  Instead they spend millions and millions on election campaigns.  These are the people who will never need "benefits" like PP or Medicare to pay for dialysis.

If we can pay athletes and movie stars millions to entertain us, then that proves that the money is there; it's our collective values that should be queried.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2015, 02:18:20 PM »

Our resources should not pay to kill babies so that their bodies parts can be sold. That's ghoulish and Josef Mengele-like. Whether fully born, partially born or unborn, I would hope all lives matter -to everyone. 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 02:20:32 PM by PrimeTimer » Logged

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2015, 02:33:00 PM »

Agreed Prime timer. A human life is the most precious thing we have. I think abortion is an abomination, no matter who is having it and what is being done with the bodies. It's murder and most often, not a gentle one. Newborns can feel pain as much as we can.  As far as immigrants are concerned and I am talking illegals here, try working in a HUD complex my friends for a few years and you will learn way more about them and what our government gives them, which is enough to make you want to   :puke; 

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2015, 03:29:16 PM »

One more time no Government money is used to pay for abortions,  CMS audits medicaid providers to insure that.  The simple fact is that almost every one that is trying to close Planned Parenthood is against abortion and is trying to close Planed Parenthood by any means.  I should point out when I was 16 a girl I had played with my entire life from the age of 5 died her parents had a back alley abortion performed on her and it killed her.  The fact that a 16 year has to pay with her life for a single mistake is a major problem for me.  One day happy and alive the next day dead, because the medical procedure she needed was unavailable.  Because of this I am a strong supporter of choice.  This planned parenthood thread is a veiled attempt to use a questionable video to stop a legal procedure.  If the anti abortion argument is so strong convince 51 percent of the American people to agree with it. 
Angiepkd

« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2015, 06:19:44 PM »

Then we should allow them to work and to contribute to SS. 

Our resources are not strained.  We have plenty of money.  It's just that those in power (and who have money) find ways to evade taxation.  Instead they spend millions and millions on election campaigns.  These are the people who will never need "benefits" like PP or Medicare to pay for dialysis.

If we can pay athletes and movie stars millions to entertain us, then that proves that the money is there; it's our collective values that should be queried.

Agreed.  How do we clean up the system?  I used to believe we could change things by voting for honest politicians.  Now, I don't think there are any.  It seems my votes lately are for the lesser of two evils.  These are the issues we need to be addressing, but, we are stuck on topics like this, which is exactly what they want.  No federal money is used for abortions.  The tapes we saw have not been verified as legitimate and could easily be put out there by the far right to distract us from real issues.  If the tapes are found to be accurate, someone will be prosecuted for breaking the law.  End of story.  If abortions were illegal, PP would not be performing them.  The bigger problem is, as MooseMom says, our collective values.  I am not sure how to fix any of these problems.  Term limits, disallowing political contributions?  Please don't allow yourselves to be distracted.  Pay closer attention to the big picture.  Stop rewarding people who provide no significant contribution to our society besides entertainment.  I don't know how to accomplish this, unless we all stop bickering about small stuff and come together to reclaim our government.  Together, we can move mountains, which is why they keep us fighting over things that don't truly matter.  Just my thoughts.

PKD diagnosis at 17
Cancer May 2011, surgery and no further treatment but placed on 2 year wait for transplant
October 2011 first fistula in left wrist
April 2012 second fistula in upper arm, disconnect of wrist
January 2013, stage 5 ESRD
March 2013 training with NxStage home hemo
April 2013 at home with NxStage
April 2013 fistula revision to reduce flow
May 2013 advised to have double nephrectomy, liver cyst ablation and hernia repair. Awaiting insurance approval to begin transplant testing. Surgery in June.
June 2013 bilateral nephrectomy.
August 2013 finishing testing for transplant, 4 potential donors being tissue typed.
January 2014 husband approved to donate kidney for me
March 4th 2014 received transplant from awesome hubby. Named the new bean FK (fat kidney) lol!  So far we are doing great!
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2015, 08:52:09 AM »

Angiepkd, the unfortunate fact is that the majority of the electorate votes only in the presidential elections.  President Obama's campaign was founded upon the desire to have both parties "work together".  That is what the American people wanted, but one party defied the will of the American people and conspired to thwart everything thing the people voted for.  Said voters then sat out the mid-terms, and the opposition was allowed to win and then redistrict their states, ie, gerrymander.  At the next general election, again the people voted for the guy who wanted to "work together", but once again those same voters sat out the next set of mid-terms, so "working together" became a taboo.

We get the government we deserve.  We get the candidates we deserve.  If we don't have "honest politicians", then that is the fault of lazy Americans who can't be arsed to get involved and find and support "honest politicians".  So, we end up with the nutcases and the extremists who are well funded by those who can buy politicians.  Thank you, Citizens United.

So if we want PP to survive, we have to seek out and vote for candidates to want the same thing.

We the People are responsible for educating ourselves and not letting ourselves be distracted by orange-hued entertainers who have no solid policy ideas to put forward.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2015, 11:31:34 AM »

For the winner, "Work Together" means "we'll get along just fine as long as things are done my way".   It doesn't really matter if the Rs or Ds are in charge.

Sort of like how the Israelis are willing to "work together" with the Palestinians - as long as the later disarms, and the "working together" is done at the pleasure of Israel.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 11:36:33 AM by Simon Dog » Logged
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2015, 07:06:37 PM »

In 2010, Planned Parenthood conducted a total of 329, 445 abortion procedures.
0.6% - Other health services

Reading that made me cry.  OMG that is the population of my city.  And that is "small stuff" to worry about?  What are you saying?  Abortion is a horrible death.  I think this is unconscionable.  People were outraged about a Lion?  OMG help us.

Let the illegals and their children into this country as we kill our young everyday.   

Abortion is legal so why did your friend die?  Did this happen prior to 1974?  This back ally abortion?  Because if she died when she could have gone to PP why didn't she?  If we have legal places to go and they Don't go then why have them?  Back alley abortions will happen anyway.

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2015, 07:09:01 PM »

For the winner, "Work Together" means "we'll get along just fine as long as things are done my way".   It doesn't really matter if the Rs or Ds are in charge.

Sort of like how the Israelis are willing to "work together" with the Palestinians - as long as the later disarms, and the "working together" is done at the pleasure of Israel.

And if it is not done my way... I'll F'in do it anyway!  STAMP Boom Done

Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2015, 03:18:38 AM »

In 1967 abortion was not legal the only option was to go to what was known as back alley abortion  people who knew enough to perform the abortion but not enough to save the girl when things went wrong.  Yes abortion is a tragedy but so is the loss of a young girl paying the ultimate price for a single mistake. It ended up shattering her family.  Abortion has been legal for so long people forget the devestation caused by the back alley procedures, death, and permenjnent injury that we're all to common among the girls that felt that they had no choice.  Every one forgets the stigma of unwed motherhood that existed in the 1960's.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2015, 07:00:34 AM »

Every one forgets the stigma of unwed motherhood that existed in the 1960's.
Fortunately, many harmful stigmas are fading away.  Being a gay athiest unwed mother is no longer considered cause for shame, or something the neighbors speak of in disapproving hushed tones.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2015, 09:21:34 AM »

Whether or not there is stigma attached to unwed motherhood, sometimes women are faced with the awful decision to make as to what is best for them when they find themselves with an unplanned pregnancy. What if they have no resources to raise a child? Or what if they are in a situation where it would be dangerous for them or the child to bring the pregnancy to term?

Unless you have walked in the shoes of someone facing such situations, you should not judge. You can never know all the circumstances facing someone who has to contemplate such a difficult choice. If you think abortion is murder for religious reasons, then how to you square with stillborn infants, or miscarriages of dearly wanted fetuses. God's plan? Punishment for the families involved?

I have one living daughter, dearly wanted. I had two miscarriages of also dearly wanted children (one before my daughter and one after). But I have also had an abortion (legal) for an unwanted fourth pregnancy that came at a time that would have devastated our small family. We were very poor and struggling. I was unable to take the pill for health reasons. I had unsuccessfully tried two different kinds of IUDs. Unfortunately, despite countless measures I became pregnant at just the time I had re-entered the work force in my desired career. But it was OUR choice, though unfortunate, to terminate the pregnancy. I have NEVER regretted it. Because of that choice I have been able to have a career helping families raise bright and eager children into productive adults. That career would never have happened had I been faced with another child to care for myself. My window of opportunity would have closed. As an aside, after that abortion, my husband had a vasectomy to solve our birth control dilemma.

I have made a positive impact on the world. I look back on my life with gratitude that my husband and I had the freedom to make every single one of the choices I made.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2015, 10:18:22 AM »

I have made a positive impact on the world. I look back on my life with gratitude that my husband and I had the freedom to make every single one of the choices I made.

That was brave, thanks for sharing.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2015, 12:25:16 PM »

That was brave, thanks for sharing.
+1
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2015, 02:06:30 PM »

Thanks. It was not something I broadcast at the time, because there was even MORE anti-abortion sentiment then. As I have aged, I have a tougher skin and I know that speaking out might also make a difference for someone else. All that rhetoric about regretting the decision yada, yada, yada never applied to me or to any of the other women I know who have had abortions.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2015, 03:12:05 PM »

My sister had an illegal abortion in 1968 and regretted it until the day she died in 1993 of cancer she was 44.

Another sister (age 16) didn't tell my parents until she was 4 months along so they couldn't drag her to the doctor in 1970 and he is a brilliant successful business man with a family of his own. 

Everyone has a story or knows someone.

Before I was a Christian and my life transformed I took my girlfriend to get an abortion in 1979 and it was awful.  She has also regretted it, but didn't know she had a choice.  The clinic encouraged her that it was the right thing to do took her money and that was that.  She didn't even think of adopting it out to a family better off.

My roommate in college graduated as an RN and her first job was at an abortion clinic.  She lasted 2 days.  She said it was horrible.  I won't go into detail because it probably would not phase you.

I'm not judging anyone but just trying to convince people .

:twocents;

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2015, 01:07:21 PM »

She has also regretted it, but didn't know she had a choice. 
 :twocents;

And this is why we should remain pro-choice.

I wish there were more people who would push for more pro-family policies.  I have a friend in Norway who, when she had her babies, had a full year of paid parental leave.  In that country, the first three months of parental leave are to be taken by the mother, and the remaining nine months can be split however the mother and father wish.  Why can't we do that here?  Oh, I know the answer that is always trotted out...that it would cost money and/or hurt business.  Well, which is more important, supporting families or supporting business? 

As a country, we have refused to spend money on education, food programs or any other sort of policies that may help to financially support families.  Instead of spending so much time and resources decrying abortion, why not spend said resources on creating a society that not only supports the birth of babies but also of those babies' needs as they grow older?

This is the REAL "pro-choice" question.  This is the REAL hypocrisy behind the whole "pro-family" façade.  We can't be "pro-life" while being "anti-children".

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »