I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:37:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  Want to join me in exercise?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Want to join me in exercise?  (Read 116870 times)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #400 on: August 11, 2010, 12:16:38 AM »

Zach, thanks for posting that link; I went through and read all of the articles and it has inspired me to keep on exercising!  I especially liked the article about the importance of exercising the major muscles of the legs.  It has been so incredibly hot and humid here in Chicagoland, plus the mosquitoes have been diabolical because of recent flooding, so I have not exercised as much as I should have.  I swim most days, though...swimming makes my fistula hum like crazy...it's really bizarre.  I am eagerly awaiting cooler weather so that I can get back into my routine.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #401 on: September 07, 2010, 12:05:15 PM »

I had been lax on my walking routine this summer because I had hurt my knee. I am glad I gave it time to heal (it's much better) so today I started walking again. I walked for an hour and it felt great!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
lunadatura

Fate happens, Destiny is what you do with it.

« Reply #402 on: December 05, 2010, 12:29:52 AM »

I am very fortunate that here in Seattle the Northwest Kidney Center subsidizes my membership to my nearby YMCA. Its a brand new 2008 facility with a great pool.

My new love is water aerobics. Even though I have been through months of hospitalization and rehab in the past six months (shattered knee and septicimia) in my first class today I was able to pretty much keep up. It was a great work out as felt a little tired afterwards and my muscles were kinda talking to me but it felt great to move again.

Not being able to move due to my knee injury has not only taught me the necessity of movement but also the pleasure and priviledge. 

Diagnosised FSGS via biopsy 11/2006
Started Dialysis 5/2009
hemo-dialysis except 9.09-6.10 = peritoneal then back to hemo
currently in center hemo 3x per week
Evaluation for transplant July 2010
Almost received transplant 8.13
repeated calls and admissions for transplant since then but no kidney yet
3.1.14 got ideal kidney and having exceptional recovery - creatine went from 8.5 to 1.1 in less than 2 weeks.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #403 on: December 15, 2010, 07:04:21 AM »

:bump;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #404 on: December 15, 2010, 10:00:43 AM »

Yes - You Should Exercise to help Kidney Disease!

Exercise to help kidney disease

Did you know that you can exercise to help kidney disease and improve kidney health? Exercise is seldom considered as a necessary component of kidney failure treatment, but it should be. Research has shown that an inactive lifestyle in adults increases the risk of many diseases, including kidney disease. Of course, exercise alone cannot guarantee optimum health, but it certainly is a major contributor. We will look at some of the benefits of exercise and offer some suggestions on how you can get started.

Most people are aware that exercise can help cardiovascular diseases, strokes, circulatory problems, etc... but not many people know that they should also exercise to help kidney disease. Exercise has a profound impact on health and well-being. Regardless of your health and fitness status, it is possible for you to improve your overall well being and health with regular exercise. While we will be mainly focused on exercise to help kidney disease, some other benefits of regular exercise include:

* Increased energy. If you exercise regularly, over a period of time you will develop greater resistance to fatigue and your energy will increase.
    * Help in dealing with stress. Exercise relieves tension which enables you to relax and feel less tense.
    * Improved ability to sleep. As tension in your body diminishes and you begins to relax, you will go to sleep much quicker and sleep more soundly.
    * Improved overall daily functioning. As your fitness improves, your capacity to perform daily tasks at school, home or on the job will increase.
    * Improved appearance. As you burn extra calories and your muscles become firmer, it becomes easier to control your weight thus improving your overall appearance.
    * Improved overall health. There are many health benefits to be gained from regular exercise. As oxygen is transported more efficiently around the body, circulation improves, the heart becomes stronger, blood pressure is lowered, and your body is better equipped to fight off diseases.

Exercise to help Kidney Disease

What is the connection between exercise and kidney disease? Just imagine for a moment a pound fill with water that remains stagnant for a long period of time. After a while the water becomes discolored, as moss and other pollutants accumulate in it. Contrast that with a fountain that is constantly spouting and moving the water around. It looks a lot cleaner, healthier, and alive. There is less build-up of moss and other pollutants.

This analogy gives a good idea of what happens in the body when we fail to exercise compared to when we exercise regularly. As the blood and other substances are stirred by exercise, toxins and other waste products are eliminated more efficiently and circulation and other metabolic functions improve. This allows oxygen and essential nutrients to be transported more efficiently around the body, resulting in better overall health.

So indeed, you should exercise to help kidney disease, heart disease, circulation problems, reduce stress… and more. Kidney disease is largely a lifestyle disease (meaning it can be prevented by changing lifestyle habits).

from http://www.comprehensive-kidney-facts.com/exercise-to-help-kidney-disease.html

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #405 on: January 21, 2011, 07:19:49 PM »

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Restorer

« Reply #406 on: January 26, 2011, 08:34:44 PM »

I just started a Couch-to-5K running program along with a very good friend. It's slightly difficult to run together, since she's across the country, so we (and our friends) are keeping each other accountable with a running log blog, Two Bros One Couch-to-5K.

I'm running MWF right before dialysis. It probably makes the running harder, but it makes sitting through dialysis easier.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #407 on: January 28, 2011, 07:07:17 AM »

Excellent!
8)

I make films.

Restorer

« Reply #408 on: February 09, 2011, 12:17:54 PM »

I've been trying to run for two and a half weeks now. My joints haven't been taking it well. They've been sore and stiff for the last 2 weeks.

I just had my monthly labs drawn, and my hemoglobin is down to 9-point-something, after months of 13+ numbers. Nothing has really changed except for my exercising. I remember from PD that any inflammation can make EPO less effective. Has anyone else heard that? Could my aching joints and sore muscles be causing my hemoglobin to plummet?

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #409 on: July 01, 2012, 05:41:09 AM »

I make films.

Rain

« Reply #410 on: July 03, 2012, 10:17:59 AM »

Restorer,

I know it's a little late to respond.
But the more you exercise the more red blood cells you are killing so you need more EPO.  Work with your doctor.   The cramps in the legs and joints  could also be low iron, so get the checked. 

1988  Diagnosed with reflux and kidney damage
2006-  Diagnosed with Renal Failure and start dialysis in centre with catheter
2007- Fistula created and in centre hemo with fistula
2012- Fistula clotted and central line inserted
May 2014- Received Kidney from deceased donor
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #411 on: July 03, 2012, 03:09:58 PM »

Is anyone doing any exercise outdoors in this heat?  I refuse to join a gym.  Not gonna happen.  I walk, swim, cycle and snowshoe, plus I have free weights that I work with.  Being outdoors is all part of the joy of exercise for me, so I am incredibly frustrated that I feel very very wary about just walking in this diabolical heat.  It's expected to be 105 tomorrow here in the western burbs of Chicago, and that's dangerous for anyone.  What are you all doing to stay fit in the heatwave?  Any ideas for me?  I'm not doing any strength training at the moment; that will be possible in a few weeks, so I'm pretty much limited to regular walks up and down the stairs.  Dull as dishwater.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #412 on: July 03, 2012, 04:21:16 PM »

I like the gym.  A lot.  I try to get there every morning I can and I like the variety of cardio exercise available to me...3 types of elliptical machines, treadmill, bike (recumbent and regular), rowing machine.  I aim for an hour of varied stuff.  Then there are the classes if one likes those, I've done pilates and yoga but prefer going solo.  I do a half hour of weights, free and machines and finish with stretches and abdominals.  On Tuesdays and Fridays I do an hour to an hour and a half of exercises on the pilates reformer (really love this) and I also have many friends there so it's a pretty important social place for me too.
I also aim to get out in the evening (I seriously avoid sun) for an hour of walking in my neighbourhood.  Gardening is also on the program but certain times of the year are more rigorous by far than others. 

The one absolute about my gym attendance is frequent hand washing and a thorough hand scrub and sanitizing as the last thing before leaving.  I use weight gloves for rowing and weights.

Maybe you'd like a pilates tape to do at home MM.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Rain

« Reply #413 on: July 04, 2012, 03:30:41 AM »

I love working out outside.  I bought a bike this year and I bike 30-40 km a day but I try to go out early morning or evening when the sun isn't the hottest and the uv is down.  I do not work out if it's above 35C (95F) I did it once and went through a 1 liters of water due to sweating and I was tired the rest of the day.    During heatwaves I try to do  something indoors. 

Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #414 on: July 04, 2012, 04:58:37 AM »

But the more you exercise the more red blood cells you are killing so you need more EPO.

Do you have a link to that information?

8)

I make films.

Rain

« Reply #415 on: July 04, 2012, 05:16:16 AM »

http://www.livestrong.com/article/534560-does-exercise-increase-red-blood-cells/
It's called sports anemia and then it levels off.

Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #416 on: July 04, 2012, 07:02:39 AM »

http://www.livestrong.com/article/534560-does-exercise-increase-red-blood-cells/
It's called sports anemia and then it levels off.

Interesting article.
I learn something new everyday.

Many thanks, Rain!

8)

I make films.

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #417 on: July 09, 2012, 10:49:12 AM »

It has finally cooled off enough that I can get outside and start walking again.  Yesterday was my first day out, and I walked 2 and a half miles split between two sessions.  I'm really pleased about that.  I will start walking each evening and try to cover at least that distance if at all possible.  I'm eager to start doing strength work again, but I have to be a bit patient about that.  I'm even more eager to be able to begin swimming again.

Rain

« Reply #418 on: July 09, 2012, 04:06:48 PM »

MooseMom that's awesome.. Keep up the good work.

Remember slow and steady wins the race..  so don't push yourself too hard.

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #419 on: July 09, 2012, 04:36:30 PM »

Thanks, Rain.  I appreciate the couragement.  I have another post dinner walk scheduled for this evening.  I'm not sure I'll have the time to put in 2 miles, but anything is better than nothing.  I'm just so glad that the weather has cooled.

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #420 on: July 09, 2012, 04:47:02 PM »

MUST.SET.UP.TREADMILL.  It's cool in the basement, so I'd have no excuse in this crazy heat.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #421 on: July 09, 2012, 05:16:01 PM »

MUST.SET.UP.TREADMILL.  It's cool in the basement, so I'd have no excuse in this crazy heat.

Don't be a lazy ----------->  :sir ken;

LOL!

Although it seems to me that with all of your house remodelling, you're getting plenty of exercise with activities that actually accomplish something.

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #422 on: July 09, 2012, 07:42:57 PM »

Don't be a lazy ----------->  :sir ken;

LOL!

Although it seems to me that with all of your house remodelling, you're getting plenty of exercise with activities that actually accomplish something.

Well, I did what I could.  I went downstairs after dinner and got to work.  Moved all the boxes and furniture into the other half of the room, swept and scrubbed the floor, moved the furniture back, put the treadmill in place, and went to plug it in.  No 3-prong outlets in the rec room.  So, not today.  I have to wait until it's daylight before I shut the power out down there, or I'll trip over something and break an ankle while I have the power shut off.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #423 on: July 09, 2012, 09:46:30 PM »

No 3-prong outlets in the rec room.  So, not today.

Yeah, yeah..."no 3-prong outlets..."  Uh huh.   :P

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #424 on: July 09, 2012, 10:08:15 PM »

LOL!  My computer is plugged in with a giant orange extension cord that runs from the office to the living room.  Apparently, the last owner only changed the ones he needed for his TV and stereo and didn't touch the rest.  I can't even plug in stuff with two different sized plugs in some places, the outlets are so old!  My BIL insisted he was going to change them for me, but still hasn't after 2 months, so I'm going to learn to do it myself.  My Better Homes and Garden book insists it only takes 10 minutes a plug.  Uh huh.  We'll see how long it takes with 60 year old wiring that isn't color coded....

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 Go Up Print 
« previous next »