I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 03:31:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  Want to join me in exercise?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Want to join me in exercise?  (Read 120583 times)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #425 on: July 11, 2012, 07:24:08 AM »

Well, jbeany, at least your brain is getting a massive workout!

I completed a 2.63 mile walk this morning all in one go, so I'm pretty stoked about that.  I'm only 2 weeks post surgery, so I'm pretty proud of myself.  It wasn't at my usual fast pace, but it was at least fast enough for my pedometer to register it as "aerobic steps".  It felt really good to get outside and walk.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Rain

« Reply #426 on: July 12, 2012, 10:15:31 PM »

I am so happy at the amount of exercise I'm getting while on vacation.   We spent 11 hours outside walking and seeing the sight since we are on the west coast and the temperature is comfortable.  And tomorrow I'm going on a 30 km bike ride. 

My boyfriend made a comment today while walking that it's like i do not have kidney problems.  It did take 5 years of training to get back into shape and I still have my off days.

1988  Diagnosed with reflux and kidney damage
2006-  Diagnosed with Renal Failure and start dialysis in centre with catheter
2007- Fistula created and in centre hemo with fistula
2012- Fistula clotted and central line inserted
May 2014- Received Kidney from deceased donor
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #427 on: July 13, 2012, 09:07:07 AM »

Rain, that is outstanding!!  I'm well impressed!  It's OK to have an off day.  Just listen to your body...

Speaking of listening to your body, mine yelled at me after my epic walk the other day.  I did too much too soon, and the result was that I was a right waste of space the rest of the day.  I had to force myself up off the couch to get anything done.  So today, I walked just a mile and a half and hopefully will get another walk in this evening.  Maybe breaking it up will be smarter.  But I am really struggling with the heat.  I got out at 9:45 and it was already both hot and humid, a combination I loathe.  But I did get my mile and a half in, so I'm going to rest on those laurels for a while.  LOL!

I have to slather myself with sunscreen, and that makes me sweat.  Ugh.

I got clearance to lift up to 20 pounds, so I can start back with some light strength training.  Don't have clearance yet to resume swimming, but that should come in a couple of weeks once I get the rest of my staples out.

Rain, I hope you enjoy your bike ride.  I can't wait to hear about it!  And those comfortable temps!  I'm so envious!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Gerald Lively

« Reply #428 on: July 13, 2012, 03:33:15 PM »

"Want to join me in exercise?"

No!!!!!!

Are you nuts?

Hodgkin's Lymphoma - 1993
Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Prostate Cancer return - 2000
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Hodgkin's Lymphoma return - 2011 - Chemo
Renal Failure - 2011
Renal Function returned after eight months of dialysis - 2012
Hodgkin's Lymphoma returned 2012 - Lifetime Chemo

Human hopes and human creeds
have their roots in human needs.

Eugene Fitch Ware
Rain

« Reply #429 on: July 14, 2012, 08:44:25 AM »

The bike ride was awesome best $18 I spent.   We rented bikes and biked along the sea wall for 2 hours.  The view was amazing with ships and mountains.  The good thing was I wasn't even sore, my boyfriend was cause its been 15 years since he has been on a bike.  Once I get back home I will post a photo. 

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #430 on: July 14, 2012, 09:02:24 AM »

Rain, that sounds just so wonderful.  I'm glad you had such a brilliant time.  Can't wait for the photos!

cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #431 on: July 17, 2012, 10:24:27 AM »

I think I am going to walk to the library today - it's a bit over a mile each way. I can bring my parasol and my spray bottle/fan, plus a few drinks and should be able to survive the heat.

I have resolved that if nothing else, I am going to try to do a minimum of 3 activities on the Wii Fit everyday. I like the KungFu because it's a good, gentle warm-up, then the jogging after the cat bit and finally the boxing. If I do the easiest levels of each, it will take me about 10 minutes. If I have more time I will do the more advanced ones and I will skip it if I manage to work other exercise into the day. The boxing is quite a good workout, and there are activities I have not even tried on there. I am surprised how much I enjoy the Wii Fit. It is a great substitute for a gym and I can squeeze it in late at night or first thing in the morning.

I also like the Dance Dance Revolution game, but one of our mats has died so I cannot do a competition with the boys, which is a blast. We'll have to repurchase in the UK.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Restorer

« Reply #432 on: July 17, 2012, 08:09:15 PM »

My two roommates and I moved our entire 3 bedroom apartment into a 2 bedroom apartment in 3 days. Does that count as exercise?  :Kit n Stik;

I ignored my fluid limit the entire weekend - drank at least half a gallon on Sunday. I was sweating so much I still came in only 1.7 kilos over my dry weight.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #433 on: July 23, 2012, 11:08:04 AM »

Okay, my treadmill is set up in the basement, the tv is hooked up, and the antenna is run up through the floor and mounted behind the living room curtains on the floor above so I can get some reception.  ('Cause watching cooking shows while working out is soooo helpful!   >:D )

So I alternated walking and jogging for a mile today.  I've learned that I need a throw rug under the treadmill if I plan to run on it - it squeaks something awful on the tile floor.  I also learned that my destroyed abdominal muscles have finally healed enough that jogging doesn't leave me instantly whimpering in pain anymore.   :yahoo;  Not that I can go for long, and it's still uncomfortable, but it's better by far. 

Finally, I learned that even the cool air in the basement isn't cool enough when it's 95 degrees out.   :P

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #434 on: July 23, 2012, 06:57:25 PM »

I'm really glad that you have healed even more than you realized.

And oh dear Lord, it IS awfully hot. 

MommyChick

Me & my precious Miracle !!!

« Reply #435 on: July 23, 2012, 07:14:04 PM »

You guys are making me want to get back in the habit of going to the gym  :2thumbsup;

~ Hello All, My names Marna ~

- 1995 - 12 yrs old found out my kidneys were both failing
- 1996 - Dec. 3 I received my 1st kidney transplant at age 13, after 7/mths on the waiting list
- 2005 - In Aug. transplant failed after 9.5 years, had to have a nephrectomy due to being very ill & massive hypertension
           - End of Aug. 1st time on dialysis
- 2006 - Had my fistula placed & ready to go
- 2010 - My little Miracle was born 6/mths into the pregnancy, weighing 2.4 lbs & 13.25 in long
          - Found out my PRA is 100% & I have antibodies that CAN'T be decreased
- 2013 - Oct. 2nd  *** I finally received my kidney!!! ***
          - Dec. 3rd I had 3.5 parathyroids removed, due to them interfering w/my new kidney.
Rain

« Reply #436 on: July 25, 2012, 02:13:15 PM »

sorry it took so long to post the photo of me biking out west.  I've just been busy.

The sleeve on my arms is where my fistula is, to protect it from the sun and people's stares.

Gerald Lively

« Reply #437 on: July 25, 2012, 05:36:54 PM »

I ain't going to the gym; no how, no way.

And that's da thruth!

Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Renal Failure - 2011

Eugene Fitch Ware
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #438 on: July 25, 2012, 06:22:41 PM »

sorry it took so long to post the photo of me biking out west.  I've just been busy.

The sleeve on my arms is where my fistula is, to protect it from the sun and people's stares.

You look great Rain!  :2thumbsup;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #439 on: July 25, 2012, 07:52:59 PM »

Rain, what a great photo!  You look like you're having so much fun.

I cannot WAIT for this heat to abate.  We're under an excessive heat warning and are also in a severe drought.  As much as I enjoy my outdoor exercising, I just cannot stand this heat.  I can't do it.  Just can't.

Rain

« Reply #440 on: July 26, 2012, 08:13:04 AM »

I understand what you mean.  We are under extreme drought as well. We had a sever storm the first sign of any rain in 4 weeks on Monday.  But it hasnt cooled down any still in the high 30's early 40's degrees Celsius.  If i do go out I try to go out early in the morning when the sun isn't that hot and it's  a few degrees cooler.  I also bring plenty of water.  One day  a drank and extra liter of water over my limit and on dialysis I only had to lose 700 ml of fluid. 
Also after living in the city for 11 years, I finally bought myself an air conditioner this year since at night it was still hot, and we didn't get much sleep. I started putting ice packs under my pillow at night..

Rain

« Reply #441 on: August 08, 2012, 04:54:14 AM »

how is everyone doing with there exercise?  This is my last week off before work and so far I've been exercising every day for 1-1.5 hours.  Monday and Tuesday i went biking and this morning I got a free week pass at the gym to try out and I'm heading there.  If I like the gym I will sign up for the winter months.  I would hate to loss all the work I did this summer with biking.  Since I've been out of work for 3 weeks now due to vacation and have gotten lots of rest and exercise I feel great.

Now just to figure out how I could keep this up with the new job and all without burn out.  These are the days I wish I didn't have dialysis.

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #442 on: August 08, 2012, 09:59:45 AM »

The heat has moderated up here, finally, so for the past several days, I have been able to get my 2 miles in as long as I do it before 11AM.  We are supposed to get even cooler weather for a few days before it may get back up close to 90F, so I am looking forward to getting my daily walk for at least the rest of this week.

I now have clearance to begin swimming again (ha..just as the temps are getting cooler!), but I was told that I may feel a bit of pressure so I should just be wary and not let myself get uncomfortable.  Fortunately, the surgeon thinks I'm smart enough to be able to judge what is best for me.  I think I have a bad muscle strain down real low.  I have a sharp, excruciating pain only when I try to turn over in bed.  I can walk 2 miles and feel fine, but try to turn over in bed and OMG, it feels like something is tearing.  I was hoping that getting my stent out yesterday would have solved the problem, but no.  Last night I experienced the same pain, but this time I was extremely careful in finding a comfy sleeping position.  I told the surgeon about this pain, and he examined me but found nothing (no hernia or anything like that).  He said that whatever it was was not kidney related, so at least there's that.  But he told me to take it easy for the next 2-3 weeks, but I don't know what that means. ::)  He reminded me that there was still "a lot of healing going on"; I suppose it is easy to underestimate the trauma the body endures from major surgery.  So, I guess it means to just move very very slowly while searching for a comfortable sleeping position, so at the very first sign of that excruciating pain, I stop and try to move in a different way.

Rain, I hope you find an exercise schedule that is beneficial but still works well with your job.  So much to juggle!  I'm thrilled to hear that rest and exercise has made you feel so good.  That's terrific!  Keep it up (although I know that's hard to do when you have to work).

Truly, this muscle pain feels more like a tear than a mere muscle pull; I've never felt anything like it, and it is waaaaay more painful than anything related to surgery.  It's very odd and has been hurting for only the past 4-5 days.  I can't imagine what I did to myself that resulting in this.  But it doesn't keep me from walking, and hopefully it won't keep me from swimming.  I am hoping to get back to the pool on Monday.  I'll only have three weeks of swimming left before the pool closes for the season.  I had bought two new swimsuits that I haven't been able to use yet!  LOL!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 10:03:32 AM by MooseMom » Logged

Rain

« Reply #443 on: August 08, 2012, 11:51:55 AM »

Moosemom
Be careful swimming and that it slow at the first sight of pain stop since you don't want to hurt yourself.  Is it by the incision site?  It might be the muscle hasn't heal yet.  Have you also looked at public pools for the fall/ winter.  I am planning on signing up for private swim lessons for 6 weeks starting in the fall since biking season will be done.  I have also thought of signing up for spinning lessons.

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #444 on: August 08, 2012, 12:23:46 PM »

Actually, no, the pain isn't at the incision site.  It's to the right of it.  Believe me, I don't think there is anything to be gained from "fighting through the pain."  When I do return to swimming, I will be extremely careful.

Call it a looney prejudice of mine, but I intensely dislike indoor public swimming pools.  Having grown up in the South and practically living in my best friend's outdoor pool every summer, in my mind, swimming is something that you do outdoors.  I had never even BEEN in an indoor pool until I moved to Chicago 9 years ago.  There is a nice Health and Wellness center on the campus of our local community hospital that has a big indoor pool, but ugh...I don't like the idea of swimming in all of those chemicals and germs that inhabit humid indoor facilities. I know that sounds stupid, and maybe I will change my mind, but for now, I'll stick with exercising outdoors.  That becomes a problem only once we start getting ice on the roads.  I have fallen several times on black ice, and I don't want to do that again, so I may very well sign up at the wellness center so that I can have access to their machines.  Like I've said before, I'd like to get back to doing some strength training and have used all of the various machines in the past, but I think I will wait a bit on that.  I have a clinic appt early January, and I'll bring up the subject then.  I might even arrange for a session or two with a personal trainer just for some preliminary guidance, but that's in the future.  For now, I'll just keep walking, add some cycling and also add some strength training with some 10 lbs weights, which is my limit at the moment.

About 12 years ago, I did a weekly Pilates class, and each time I'd end up with a stonking great headache.  Same with yoga.  I really liked the classes, but they'd make me feel awful afterwards.  Isn't that bizarre?

Rain, let me know if you take those swim lessons.  I love swimming.  It's a good workout, it spares your joints AND the feel of the water is relaxing.  The weight of the water and the resistance it provides makes your muscles really work.  I hope you'll enjoy it.  I've never tried swimming and would be very interested to hear what you make of it if you decide to do it.

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #445 on: August 08, 2012, 01:42:35 PM »

MM I've had those muscle pulls (more than once I'll add) and the pain is awful.  Exactly as you describe, triggered by turning over or, for me, by raising a leg on one particular occasion.   So bad this was that I went to the ER in the middle of the night, just prior to the Vegas meetup last year.  Anyhow, I do pretty strenuous workouts on the Pilates reformer machine and ab work with weights etc.  Our abdominal muscles have been sliced open, mine a total of four times to date, and I think we can strain them fairly easily.  I work a lot on my core trying to regain strength there and I try to go a little easy but that's a challenge for me.  Hope you heal up soon.  Keep exercising but don't do anything that triggers even a twinge in the strained area.
PS..I thought I had a hernia too.  Nope, pulled muscles, that was all.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #446 on: August 08, 2012, 03:16:41 PM »

Monrein, thanks so much for your post; it has made me feel better (although I regret that you've ever had any pain!), and you are right...I have to remind myself that my muscles have indeed been sliced through and that it does take time to heal.  When I turn over in bed, I have to tuck my knees up to ease any pressure on those really low abdominal muscles, and even though it is awkward, it does seem to help.  I want to return to exercising my core abdominal muscles; I wanted to ask the surgeon his advice in this regard when I was at the clinic yesterday, but my husband was teaching in the evening and we were already running late as it was.  I didn't think I was ready for that sort of workout anyway, so I'll save the question for my next clinic visit.  For now, I'll concentrate on regain strength in my legs and also on cardio work.  Anyway, thanks for the encouragement!

Gerald Lively

« Reply #447 on: August 08, 2012, 10:04:31 PM »

MM:
Have started serious powerlifting regimen.Bench presses have made my boobs sore.  What do I do now?

Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Renal Failure - 2011

Eugene Fitch Ware
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #448 on: August 09, 2012, 06:13:22 AM »

Keep pressing Gerald, the lactic acid works its way out after a couple of days.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
Rain

« Reply #449 on: August 10, 2012, 05:32:43 AM »

Moosemom,   I did swimming lessons in the past about 4 years ago.  I started with a group class to learn the. A basics and it was fun but it didnt get much swim time.  Then I did a session of private and love it.  the first 10 mins is exercise drill kicking legs only and the instructor watches your form and corrects you.  I got Better, stronger and faster.  I started swimming to get back into fitness 4 years ago after a year of dialysis ruined my muscles and I had gained weight from being depressed and sedentary. Swimming also got me off my BP meds.   Swimming was my gate way back to my pre dialysis self. 
I have to admit that I am finally at my pre dialysis fitness level and my goal this winter it to stay there.  It takes a lot of work to maintain since I have to get at least 3 hours in a week to maintain.  But it's worth it since I could now keep up with everyone.  I could spend the whole day out and not get tired.

I do have 1 fitness goal and this spring I want to run my first 5 km.  I entered 2 x 5 km this fall but I plan on walk most of it with a colleague.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 Go Up Print 
« previous next »