I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:39:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  I Hate Being Single (and other frustrations of life...)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I Hate Being Single (and other frustrations of life...)  (Read 7919 times)
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« on: November 03, 2013, 08:19:41 AM »

I'm annoyed and want to know what you all think. I met a fellow tx patient from Canada on Facebook who lives not too far from me in Vancouver, BC and right now, he is getting on my nerves. For one, he's obsessed with boobies - to the point where I was trying to tell him about my mom's situation on fb chat (that's a whole other topic altogether. it ain't pretty), and he brought up boobies. I have always been annoyed by the obsession with boobies, especially when you're trying to talk about something totally unrelated. Secondly, when we first started talking (for the 2nd time - we actually originally met earlier this year), I was getting ready to have my ablation done. (Uterine/endometrial ablation to get rid of my periods). He wouldn't let up the fact that I was making it impossible for me to get pregnant - which to me was no big deal considering I have such low kidney function that getting pregnant would not only put me back on dialysis - there isn't even a guarantee that I'd have a live, breathing baby at the end of it!!! I don't like feeling like I have to defend the fact that guess what - having babies is not an option for me and hellooooo, I'm 40! I expect that with healthy people who don't have a clue, but another ESRD/tx patient??? And thirdly, I recently told him why I lost interest in meeting him the first time we started talking (earlier this year) - which was due to a female friend he has that he hangs out with and they flirt rather openly on his Faceboonk. She also was called his stalker in the Facebook group I met him in, and the story was that she really liked him, but was okay with being just friends. That whole story creeped me out because it seemed like he was leading her on, and what kind of drama would there be if he started seeing someone. I don't do drama, period. Anyway, I told him this (via Facebook chat) and you can tell he didn't take it all too well, and is now referring to it as "drama bs" and thinks we should meet real soon because I'm going to lose interest in him over this female friend thing. Well gee, now that you mention it... Am I over reacting? Besides, he lives in Canada, and being expensively ill, Canada wouldn't want me anyway. He refuses to move here (if it were to come to that). So really, what's the point?

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
UkrainianTracksuit

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 10:21:34 AM »

You’re not overreacting.  If there is drama (on his end) with general chatting and a meet up, the fuss would continue if this turned into something more.  I think the writing is on the wall.  There’s an old proverb, “Only the grave cures the hunchback.”  If in any case that you did enter a relationship, you’d have a new plate of worries based on his current behavior.  You don’t need extra anxiety in your life while dealing with your health.  He’s obviously quite immature to be focused on “boobies” and reproductive issues during a serious conversation.  Any man with half of a caring brain can put those distractions to the side to listen to something important.  This should be a given with a man that is a tx patient.  Furthermore, guys that play the comedian role/class clown type get old real fast.

If there is anything I can’t stand is when someone places their behavior on you to cover their own behind.  (The typical “you’re cheating on me” when it is the one pointing the finger doing it sort of thing.)  He’s the one that created the “drama bs” of which he is accusing you.  Let’s not even get into the emotional bargaining of meeting up “real soon” so you don’t loose interest.  If two people really click, there shouldn’t be bargaining over fear of losing interest.

In the end, you were in the right to call him out.  I know being single, dating and finding a decent man is tough so big hugs.   :cuddle; 
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 11:33:41 AM »

He is absolutely sending you some seriously bad vibes. Not my position, but, if I were you, I would delete him and get on with your life. I know it sucks being alone, especially with health problems, but this guy is not for you. He is very immature, if he even has to say "boobies"

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Shaks24

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 11:37:34 AM »

Advise from a male for the two cents thats its worth. I agree with Jean. Move on. You have enough on your hands without being annoyed by a guy that wants to play games.

Congestive heart failure 2011
Currently about 19% Kidney Function
September 11, 2013 PD Catheter and Fistula Surgery
September 27, 2013 Started PD
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 09:32:02 PM »

Another male's view - He's an idiot. Delete him.

Galvo
geoffcamp

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 08:23:15 AM »

Facebook is the DEVIL for relationships!!  Cannot tell you how many bad stories I've seen and heard. Facebook SHOULD be a place to communicate with friends near and far and share a little of your life with these friends. Trying to use Facebook to meet men or women NEVER works out!  People lie when something is practically anonymous. I sat unfriend him and use Facebook for what it should be. Just my opinion but WOW I've witnessed some crazy stuff via Facebook and relationships. It just seems to be bad news. Take it for what you want!  I only use Facebook to communicate with old friends from another city and it's great for that!! 
G.

Geoffrey Campbell
Diagnosed with ESRD at 26
Transplanted in 1999 rejected 2001
In center hemodialysis since late 2001 3X a week 4 hours late evening 3rd shift
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 08:51:58 AM »

Thank you all for your replies. Another thing that is just too annoying is he is a 40 yr old man who also likes to refer to women's breasts as "pokies". He does that ALL the time. It makes me cringe. I haven't said anything yet, because I thought at first I could tolerate it. I gotta be honest to myself - I can't... He even likes to compare the mountainous region we live in to "pokies" and how perfect it is that he lives here and not in some flat area...

Mind you, I am small-breasted and have always been a little sensitive when it comes to this topic.

KarenInWA

April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
UkrainianTracksuit

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 09:23:35 AM »

Wow, "pokies"?  Living around mountains and not a flat area?  He's 40?  Forget the other prescriptions, he needs chemical castration.   :urcrazy;
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 09:26:21 AM »

I'll chime in with the other guys Karen, he sounds like a loser

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 10:55:02 AM »

He's a perv.  Life's too short.  Sure, being single can suck, but it sure beats having a guy who pervs on "boobies".  What is he, 12?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 10:55:51 AM »

PS:  This is the kind of guy who makes you happy to be single. ::)

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 03:37:35 PM »

Loser with an enormous L!!!!

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 04:04:12 PM »

Facebook seems to bring out the worst in people.  This is why I no longer belong to any fb groups.  More harsh words were hurled at me by supposedly "mature" people on fb "support" groups than by my schoolmates in the playground 40 years ago.  It's very odd.

Do you still have any contact with this creep?

KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 06:04:48 PM »

Yes, I do still have contact with him. We're friends on Facebook. I met him in a secret group for single transplantees. I met him back in March. I ended up going up there in May to see friends I hadn't seen in a while, and I was going to meet him, too. However, sometime before that, I kept noticing the flirting from his female friend. He ended up being in the hospital for the week I was going to visit, and went home to his mom's for the weekend (when I was in town). His friend wrote on his wall about hanging out, did some ;) 's - as did he, and it looked to me like he forgot about me! So, I made the decision to not make an effort and promptly lost interest.

Fast fwd to August, and I posted on FB about my cousin being in the hospital and almost losing her life (after a routine hysterectomy) and he was the first one to comment on that. We started chatting again and he was really nice. It then just grew from there to a mutual interest, lots of flirting, and even phone calls (he can  call me for no extra charge). Everytime we agreed to meet, something would happen on either his end or my end. So, we've never met yet. It's only recently that he started to get on my nerves. The pokies and boobies thing is just annoying, and yes, the grilling me over having a baby was before getting my ablation done in September. Those are red flags that I noticed and stored away in my memory, as was the female friend. Now, I just don't know. Something doesn't feel right, and yes, I do need to trust my gut...

KarenInWA

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 08:57:07 PM »

Your gut is very smart, just like the rest of you!  :thumbup;

cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 05:04:25 AM »

Karen, can't you 'unfriend' this person or something? Nothing you've written says anything but 'bad news' loud and clear. You've never even met and he's complaining about your inability to have children as if it's any of his business? It would be hard to imagine anything more sleazy, arrogant and presumptuous. Run! 

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Bambino_Bear

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 08:34:53 AM »

"It's better to be unhappy alone than unhappy with someone"
Marilyn Monroe

Sounds like you can do a lot better. 

:flower;

I am a caregiver to my wonderful husband,  He is 4p and started PD October 2013. We have several living donors waiting to be tested for a transplant. Dialysis is a bridge to get us where we need to go. 
He had a transplant in November 2019.
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 01:29:24 PM »

You haven't even met him yet and he's already shown you some very annoying behaviors. This is what while he's still probably demonstrating his "best" behavior while trying to woo you. I can only imagine how much worse it could get if you were involved with him and he no longer feels the need to restrain himself. Unfriend him and run!

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2013, 11:06:20 PM »

He's a perv.  Life's too short.  Sure, being single can suck, but it sure beats having a guy who pervs on "boobies".  What is he, 12?

Excuse me!! As an official Perv I resemble this statement!!!!!!  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; (but I have never thought of or used that 'p' word?!!)

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2013, 12:09:25 AM »

Keep your pokies to yourself hehehe  :flower;
I know many people have met their mate on the internet, but usually through some place like OKCupid.com, or Match.com. I am sure there are creepy guys there too, but more to choose from!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2013, 04:02:32 AM »

Keep your pokies to yourself hehehe  :flower;
I know many people have met their mate on the internet, but usually through some place like OKCupid.com, or Match.com. I am sure there are creepy guys there too, but more to choose from!

Okarol - I refuse to join "dating" websites because of past experiences. I'm too old for the crap games that go on iin those things and my health can't take it anymore. Someone added me to that facebook group, which I thought would be interesting to share thoughts and concerns. I ended up leaving it because a bunch of the guys gained up on me when I posted about a concern I have as a single female transplantee - hpv infection and cervical cancer. Not a whole lot of support when you bring THAT topic up.

KarenInWA

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2013, 08:37:11 AM »

If he won't agree to meet and suddenly is in the hospital when you are in his area,  well maybe he isn't real.  Maybe he is a "catfish".  He sounds like trouble.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2013, 03:40:22 PM »

If he won't agree to meet and suddenly is in the hospital when you are in his area,  well maybe he isn't real.  Maybe he is a "catfish".  He sounds like trouble.

I was thinking that too. Or he's married and this is a second/fake Fb account.  Or he's a teenager.  Whichever it is, I'd ignore him if it were me.  Pokies?!

I met Blokey through the Internet (Match.com).  I only joined up (with a free account) for a laugh.  I had no intention of actually meeting anyone, but nearly fourteen years later I sit here with my husband and only one kidney ...

;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2013, 11:20:26 PM »

Always happens when you LEAST expect it......

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2013, 08:08:22 PM »

Delete, block, don't acknowledge him on other forums on Facebook. Not worth the headache even if we were in our 20's!

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012