I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 10:47:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Gym, exercise, and peritoneal dialysis
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gym, exercise, and peritoneal dialysis  (Read 9434 times)
CatonTheRoof

« on: June 26, 2012, 05:42:26 PM »

Hello there again :)

I'm a 22 year old guy, currently on peritoneal dialysis.   I would like to ask if any of you is going to the gym, or practicing any kind of sport?      Is it safe to practice so?  I had even been thinking of football (soccer for you americans)  but I guess that a ball striking my belly at a high speed could be dangerous lol. 

What kind of exercise is safe to practice?  my hemoglobin levels are around 14.   
deniferfer

My nickname is princess

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 07:10:26 PM »

Hi there,

I asked my PD nurse about the gym and she said that is was fine. Just don't left too much and watch your abdomen area. I tried just about everything at gym, bike, treadmill, stair stepper, even the rock wall (ok I fell back on my butt, but I tried it)  ;D, the only thing I didn't do was any real weight lifting.

The thing with soccer if you got hit with the ball or do too much... what can happen is that you can get irritated and what ends up happening it that you will see the fluid true a pinkish like color and you will know you did too much. It should go away by the next cycle. That has happen to me once or twice. it wasn't bad but very scarey the 1st time.   

1981-1995: Perfectly fine
1996: November, started feeling sick
1997: April, creatine at 17 and began dialysis    
1997: May Place on PD
2006: Had to replace PD tube
smcd23

The patient, the baby and the donor - October 2010

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 09:52:58 PM »

My husbands neph and PD nurse said he could do just about anything while on PD - the only caution they gave him was lifting 50lbs+ while full or partially full during his daytime dwell. They said the pressure from the solution on the inside could make him more susceptible to a hernia.

Caregiver to Husband with ESRD.

1995 - Diagnosed with vesicoureteral reflux and had surgery to repair at age 11. Post surgery left side still had Stage I VUR, right side was okay. Both sides were underdeveloped.
2005 - Discovered renal function was declining, causing HBP. Regular monitoring began.

March 2008 - Started transplant evaluation for preemptive transplant due to declining function.

September 16, 2008 - Transplanted with my kidney.
September 18, 2008 - Kidney was removed due to thrombosis in the vessels in and leading to the kidney.

October 2008 - Listed in Region I

May 2009 - Started in Center Hemo
January 2010 - Started CCPD on Liberty Cycler

June 15, 2012 - Kidney transplant from a 43 year old deceased donor
June 22, 2012 - Major acute rejection episode and hospitalization began
June 27, 2012 - Nephrectomy to remove kidney after complete HLA antibody rejection. Possibly not eligible for another transplant, ever again.

Now what?
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 05:03:40 AM »

I work out just about every day. My focus is on cardio, upper body and legs. So far I have left core alone because I don't want to take a chance on irritating the cath site. My PD team, so far, has said what I am doing is good but not to lift anything heavy with fluid on.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
CatonTheRoof

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 05:59:15 PM »

Joe, so you're not lifting any weight?  :)

I'll go and check some gyms next week, to decide which I'll choose.

Two days ago I went to play football (soccer).  It was amazing! Played and ran for about 3 hours, without no problem.  Actually felt as good as before getting sick a year ago.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 06:48:46 PM »

Thought you'd find some of the posts in this IHD thread interesting:

Want to join me in exercise?
http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=3027.msg360814#msg360814

8)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 05:40:35 AM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 10:36:57 AM »

I am lifting weight, focusing on bicepts, triceps, upper back and deltoids. Legs I'm focusing on quads and gluts. With my monthly Neph visit, he cleared me to start doing some core to help strengthen my lower back ( a chronic problem spot for me), but again warned me not to do lifting or core with fluid on. As I'm empty during the main part of the day, that shouldn't be a problem. I'll start some core work on Monday.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
Willis

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 02:13:53 PM »

Cat, I just can't do any abdomen-related exercise anymore like situps. Also, I find it uncomfortable to run because I carry a 1 liter day-fill and when running it feels like a have a bowling ball jumping up and down inside me. I suppose if I ran when dry it would be OK. My normal exercise routine usually involves hand-weights and upper body exercise and simple leg squats. Since I've been on PD I have to admit I've exercised less because my body just doesn't recover as fast as it once did (and being 59 years old doesn't help either).

I do practice and play competitive table tennis about 10-12 hrs per week. Table tennis is by far the most strenuous sport I've ever played. When I was younger I played baseball, American-style football, tennis, and racquetball and I find table tennis more demanding than any of those. It not only requires significant athleticism but because the action is so fast the eye-hand coordination, footwork, and mental reaction time necessary is very demanding. I started playing competitively several years ago (this is not basement level recreational ping pong) and lost 60 pounds the first year I played. After my kidneys failed and I started on PD I thought it would be difficult to keep playing, but after my cath surgery healed up (about 3 weeks) I was playing again. The only PD related issue is just the low-level of HgB that I'm forced to live with due to government restrictions on EPO. So I do get a lot more tired and need more frequent breaks than I did before going on PD.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »