I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 12:21:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  Discussion on overweight and morbid-obesity..
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Discussion on overweight and morbid-obesity..  (Read 9158 times)
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« on: February 11, 2007, 01:53:55 PM »

Discuss here.

EDITED: Moved to Proper Topic, Morbid Obesity is a Medical Condition - Sluff, Moderator 

« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 02:38:57 PM by sluff » Logged

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 03:06:04 PM »

Morbid Obesity isnt a medical condition, unless its caused from a medical condition.  :thumbdown;

EDITED: I'm classifying it as a medical condition - Sluff, Moderator

« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 05:19:35 PM by sluff » Logged

glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 03:12:24 PM »

Wow glitter, you sure take something that was never pointed directly at you very personally. I was speaking in GENERAL, and to be honest I didnt know you were overweight, so therefore my posts were NEVER pointed directly at you, or anyone else here for that matter. I was just stating an opinion on a subject that I feel needs to be discussed.

so I guess my posting in a thread called "losing weight support group' about my own struggle with obesity didn't give you a clue?  and I believe you even stated something about my post on food being a comfort.......

Obviously people who are SEVERLY AND MORBIDLY overweight DONT know they have a problem, or they would TRY to do something about it. Even if it was just one little thing at a time.. and doing it slowly... they would TRY, for the people who dont try, they obviously dont know they have a problem, or they could care less about the problem, one of the two.  It SADDENS me to know that someone has a problem but chooses to not do anything to change it. I could careless if somoene is overweight but there happy with how they are, and will have no medical issues come about b/c of it... however, most ppl who are that much overweight, arent happy with it.

And no, it dont make me happy as a person to point it out as you mentioned, but it does bring me happiness to know I want to help people and very happy when they except the help.

...do you actually think they don't know they are fat?
  I am sorry,but I just think your attitude is condescending to all fat people,like we are too dumb to realize we are fat-and everyone knows you can't bully someone into losing weight.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 03:14:32 PM »

Obesity is in fact a medical condition.  Angela, maybe you should educate yourself a little more on it since you seem to think you know so much about it, 

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 03:22:31 PM »

First off to glitter: I DIDNT KNOW YOU WERE SEVERLY OVER WEIGHT... OBVIOUSLY U HAVE SOME KIND OF WEIGHT ISSUE TO BE POSTING IN THAT TOPIC HOWEVER I NEVER WENT BACK AND READ EVERY SINGLE POST... THEREFORE I DIDNT KNOW LIKE I SAID, AND I WAS NEVER EVER TRYING TO MAKE IT PERSONAL.

Secondly: Susie... I dont want to argue, and have you all hate me for my opinions...  It may well indeed be a medical condition in the medical world, however to ME, it is not. Like I said, its a personal choice, and i feel it could have been prevented. I have NOTHING against anyone who is struggling with weight issues, I struggle myself, as I have mentioned plenty of times before.... I was merely posting an OPINION, from just watching a show on Morbidly Obese people and it upet me how they took no responsibility.. I never once said anyone on this site didnt take responsibility, like i said, i was speaking in general, and wasnt speaking to anyone personally here on this site. I dont put people down due to their weight, but YES, it does upset me to see someone so overweight they cannot even walk anymore, and yet they take NO responsibility for it at all... then yes, I have issues with that. I take FULL responsibility for my weight issues, I really had no weight issues until after having my second child, however I dont go around blaming it on her, I know I could of exercised more, ate better... but I didnt.. and now I have to start changing things in my life to get bak on track... I dont think im better than anyone here or anywhere else... I was only trying to point out as mentioned by someone else in the other thread ACTIONS speak louder than words. Until we take actions to change our habits and do something about our weight, then were on a path of destructive behavior that could lead us to be morbidly obese.. I dont want anyone I know to have to go through that, I have several family member such as aunts and uncles and cousins who are morbidly obese and have to be pushed in wheelchairs to get anywhere because they can't carry their own weight.

Maybe we should just lock the thread if everyones is just going to attack me for my opinions... I am not attacking anyone personally for their opinions on it, I was merely trying to understand how someone could get that far over weight and not take responsibility for what they eat and what they dont do physically.

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 03:37:15 PM »

Angela you are entitled to your opinion and so is everyone else. If you can't handle opposition then you should not have started the thread.
Blaming my obesity on me is like blaming your kidney failure on you. Like any other medical condition everyone copes their own way and sometimes that is drugs, alcohol, smoking, and eating. Depression is a major cause of obesity.

http://www.stronghealth.com/services/surgical/bariatric/morbidobesity.cfm

Though we all use the terms "fat" and "obese" casually in conversation, there is a medical definition of the condition—and yes, obesity is considered a health "condition."

Is Severe Obesity a Cosmetic Problem?
Severe obesity is a disease, not cosmetic problem. If you are 100 pounds or more overweight, you are at increased risk for many health problems including diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, and even certain types of cancer. By losing this excess weight, you can lower your risks to that of a normal-weight person.

This thread is open for discussion.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 05:20:50 PM by sluff » Logged
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 03:38:11 PM »

Ok, someone has pointed out to me just reading my opinion upset them and they took it personally. Therefore, let me apologize ahead of time to everyone who does take it personally... Thats not what I intended or wanted. If anyone chooses to post in this tpoic let's try to keep it to discussions and try not to attack someone personally... I for one will try to make sure my post's are not personal to anyone.. and I am very open to other people's opinions... not just my own.

Again, I apologize for anyone who took anything I said on this subject personally... it was not intended.

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 03:41:06 PM »

Angela you are entitled to your opinion and so is everyone else. If you can't handle opposition then you should not have started the thread.
Blaming my obesity on me is like blaming your kidney failure on you. Like any other medical condition everyone copes their own way and sometimes that is drugs, alcohol, smoking, and eating. Depression is a major cause of obesity.

:lol; I am open for anyones opinions, but like I said nobody on the other side of my opinion wants to be attacked personally, and neither do I.

As for your post, I would like to comment on what you said. My kidney failure was no where near my fault, and is totally different from an eating disorder. An eating disorder is MOSTLY the persons fault who has it, as they DO control what is put in their mouth... I do understand depression and eating, I have been depressed alot on dialysis... and have eaten because of it... however, we could just as easily eat a salad when were depressed just like we can eat the bad foods... Ya know?

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 03:50:09 PM »

:lol; I am open for anyones opinions, but like I said nobody on the other side of my opinion wants to be attacked personally, and neither do I.

As for your post, I would like to comment on what you said. My kidney failure was no where near my fault, and is totally different from an eating disorder. An eating disorder is MOSTLY the persons fault who has it, as they DO control what is put in their mouth... I do understand depression and eating, I have been depressed alot on dialysis... and have eaten because of it... however, we could just as easily eat a salad when were depressed just like we can eat the bad foods... Ya know?

Your position is noted. I disagree. Ok to a point. Lets just say that we agree on disagreeing. LOL

I'm obese so I guess I see things differently than you do, However my Doctor told me that some of my weight problem was a predisposition. That was inherited. So are some forms of kidney failure that is how I connected the two. I should have explained myself better.
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 04:01:17 PM »

If obesity is a health condition it should be treated accordingly. People should seek councilling for both their physical and mental issues. If they choose not to then its their own fault. Help is out there and it should be taken if its an issue for them.

I could care less what someone looks like, weather they are 55kg or 100kg, looks are not always the most important thing, but if you have a "medical condition" and acknowledge it you should seek help asap.

It just frustrates me that people i know let themselves go on like this without trying to fix their problem, it is taking years off their lives and it is selfish for you to hurt everyone around you that love you and yourself  by putting you're life in jeopardy.

To everyone trying to lose weight I'm sure its a hard battle. Good luck.

Black
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 04:12:34 PM »

I remember when asthma was thought to be related to mental problems and my aunt was told to get my cousin a chihuahua to take his mind off of himself.  Now we know asthma is allergy related.  For many, many years stomach ulcers were blamed on "stress".  Now we know they're caused by a bacteria.

IMO, most weight problems one day will be known to have various causes, and very few will be determined to be self-inflicted.

I speak from experience as I have battled ignorant doctors and untreated/undertreated hypothyroidism for decades.  In October of '05 my stupid GP cut my thyroid dosage in half based on one blood test of my TSH -- by March of '06 I had gained 40 pounds!!

I found a new doc in Aug of '06 and by Sept had been tested and diagnosed with hormone and metabolic problems which are now being appropriately treated.  That 40 pounds will probably take another year to lose but I feel like I am going to heal, and be able to live the life I should have been living in those lost decades of poor treatment.

When I get better and lose that weight, I'm going back to see the idiot and tell him how close he came to killing me and how hard it has been to recover from his decades of neglect.  I'm not going for satisfaction or revenge, but for his other patients he is treating the way he treated me.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 04:15:51 PM »

Your position is noted. I disagree. Ok to a point. Lets just say that we agree on disagreeing. LOL

I'm obese so I guess I see things differently than you do, However my Doctor told me that some of my weight problem was a predisposition. That was inherited. So are some forms of kidney failure that is how I connected the two. I should have explained myself better.

I like that, agree to disagree. :) I also agrew with the whole if your going through the problem you probably see it different than someone who isn't going through it. Also, if you inherited some of your weight issues, those are not your fault... not at all. I also understand now about they kidney thing... however mine was caused by Lupus, so I know for sure it wasn't my fault.

Black
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 04:23:00 PM »

... An eating disorder is MOSTLY the persons fault who has it, as they DO control what is put in their mouth...

Generally I do not believe that to be true.  I know what I went through before my thyroid and hormone problems were accurately diagnosed and treated.  The hunger, and craving for carbohydrates, were as strong as any drug addiction and something I could not control.  Only someone who has battled that kind of compulsion can really understand what it is like, but believe me it is a battle no one wants to wage.  Drug addicts can avoid the drugs.  Alcoholics can avoid alcohol.  But everyone has to eat food.  The unsatisfied hunger that cannot be filled because your hormones and metabolism are all screwed up is not controllable until the medical problem is treated.

Lorelle

Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 05:03:37 PM »

Exactly Black, you had a medical condition.

glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2007, 06:34:09 PM »

Only someone who has battled that kind of compulsion can really understand what it is like,

I've heard some people say their fat is a protection,maybe some of the things they have gone through in their lives contribute to the urge to overeat.....some people turn to reckless sexual partners,some turn to alcohol,some to food...its just that you can SEE the fat on someone,but you do not know why it is there. Medically-could also be mental you know.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 06:39:46 PM by glitter » Logged

I will miss him- FOREVER

RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2007, 04:49:13 AM »

Exactly Black, you had a medical condition.

Yes, I do BUT the other doc did not think so and just kept making excuses for my symptoms, fatigue and pain.  "You're getting older."  "You need more exercise."  "You need to change your diet."  I got that crap from him for over 10 years and blamed myself because he did!!

My best friend told me yesterday that I now seem more like I was when she first met me over 7 years ago and I was already very sick then, just not as bad as I was a few months ago.  She said there is a sparkle in my eyes that she hasn't seen in years and that my eyes had looked "dead' for a long time.  My last hair cut, just last week, got rid of the the last of the dead, brittle, straw that had been passing for hair for years.  I LOVE my new hair.  It's only a few inches long in a very short shag/pixie cut, but it's shiny, soft and healthy!!

I repeat what I said before, I believe in the future that most people who are obese will be found to have a medical problem and few will be found to have self-inflicted obesity.

Lorelle

Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2007, 06:10:20 AM »

Very true glitter... but once someone reaches a certain weight, don't they ever start to think, hmm, there could be medical consiquences for doing this to myself? Just as if someone who turns to drugs should reach a point wher they can't live without the drugs and infact he drugs are killing them... however, people with drugs need someone to point it out to them as they cannot see it due to them being on the drugs.. Is it the same for overweight people? If so, then more people should point it out, but also offer to help change your lifestyle... Right? Or no?

Black, I have to disagree, I don't believe most people who are obese have underlying medical conditions causing it.. they may have medical problems NOW from being obese... but I dont believe most have one causing it. There are conditions that cause it, yes, but not for everyone, and surely not for most.

glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 11:13:56 AM »

Very true glitter... but once someone reaches a certain weight, don't they ever start to think, hmm, there could be medical consiquences for doing this to myself? Just as if someone who turns to drugs should reach a point wher they can't live without the drugs and infact he drugs are killing them... however, people with drugs need someone to point it out to them as they cannot see it due to them being on the drugs.. Is it the same for overweight people? If so, then more people should point it out, but also offer to help change your lifestyle... Right? Or no?

Black, I have to disagree, I don't believe most people who are obese have underlying medical conditions causing it.. they may have medical problems NOW from being obese... but I dont believe most have one causing it. There are conditions that cause it, yes, but not for everyone, and surely not for most.

do you have any facts to back up your opinions?

I absolutely think you are speaking from a postion of ignorance. You do not know why each and every person is fat-and for you to PRESUME you know is just wrong.

And the idea that fat people are too stupid to realize they are too fat-so they must be told...your just being insulting now.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 11:15:43 AM by glitter » Logged

I will miss him- FOREVER

RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 11:37:09 AM »

I was commenting on the whole being overweight is always a medical conditions fault, and that simply is NOT true. Do you have proof showing it is? I have seen many shows on obese people and like i said MOST (not ALL) are obese from over-eating... there is no medical condition causing them to eat or be overweight. I never said ALL obese people are obese from over eating... I said most. I am very certain some do have a medical condition causing it.. however, not ALL do.

I didn't say overweight people are too stupid to realize they are overweight... I was comparing it to someone on drugs and needed to be told they needed to go into rehab because they had a problem. As YOU mentioned some people turn to other things besides food for comfort, such as sexual partners and alcoholism... So I used someone turning to drugs as an example, and how they need to be told they have a problem and need rehab... so i was comparing THAT to being obese... and I said "Is it the same for overweight people?" It was a question after a comparison.... I wasn't stating a fact or opinion.

glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 11:37:40 AM »

modified because I am not wasting anymore breath on this conversation.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 11:41:44 AM by glitter » Logged

I will miss him- FOREVER

RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 11:46:27 AM »

:lol;  Very well... I will not comment even though I read it.  :thumbup;

IHD Moderator
Global Moderator

This is nothing personal. Just doing my job.

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 12:17:55 PM »

This thread appears to be going nowhere.

Several individuals have taken this thread as an insult.

If you want this thread unlocked contact an administrator.

EDITED: THREAD LOCKED - IHD MODERATOR

Hello,

I am the IHD Moderator if I move or edit your post or thread, please do not take it personally. I am just doing my job by keeping this site as organized as possible for your benefit.

Here are some links to help you in using this forum:

Forum Help: Click Here

Site Rules: Click Here

Gender/Location: Click Here

How To Resize Your Images: Click Here

Emergency Contact List: Click Here

Please do NOT send me any Personal Messages as they will be ignored. If you would like send a PM to one of the members of the Admin team.

IHD Moderator
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »