I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:41:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Is there any chance of Kidneys coming back to life?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is there any chance of Kidneys coming back to life?  (Read 6581 times)
wookieswife

« on: February 27, 2012, 11:26:24 AM »

My hubby had a annerism that was cause by uncontrolled high bp. While in the hospital the docs had some hope that they would come back.......they haven't. I am secrectly hoping that that they will :( but I don't tell my hubby that.

I need help to learn how to be the most supportive spouse to him as possible while holding out hope that everything will be ok.

Any advice or any reading you can suggest?

Much thanks!
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 12:09:33 PM »

You didn't really give enough information to go on. Chronic kidney disease causes high blood pressure. Is this what caused your husband's high blood pressure, or was a cause for his HBP identified and resolved? Do the doctors say he has acute kidney failure? Acute kidney failure can sometimes resolve itself. If he was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease, where his kidneys have really been failing for a long time and he just didn't know it, it's doubtful he'll regain his kidney function. However, since you said his doctors had some hope he would regain renal function, I assume they were thinking it was acute kidney failure - how did they come to that conclusion? How long ago was it? What has happened with his kidney function since then?

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
wookieswife

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 12:42:16 PM »

They came into the ICU room and asked how long have we been aware of the "kidney" issue. So I am sad to say that it is ckd. But they did say cause they stopped working all of a sudden because of the heart trama , they thought they would come back.

That was 12/29/10....he has been on hemo since 2/11. I just can't bring myself to belive that this is "it". But it may be my reality. I just keep silently hoping they get started again.

They told him before he left the hospital he would not urinate, but he used it before he left and now uses the bathroom normally....is this normal?
wookieswife

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 12:44:26 PM »

I guess what I am asking is what does to urine mean?? Could that mean that the kidneys are doing SOMETHING?
Riverwhispering

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 12:52:59 PM »

who told him he wouldn't urinate?  was it his doctor or someone on staff?  Has he contacted his doctor since he left the hospital? what does his doctor have to say about that?

It's only one step from the Jungle to the Zoo
wookieswife

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 12:58:56 PM »

I do belive it was doctors and nurses. They took his catherer out after his 3rd day in ICU because they said he was not producing any urine, and that he may never again. But he did maybe 5 days later while still in the hospital. This gave me hope....

So now more than a year later he is still urinating. But from what I have heard on this site and from others at his clinic this is not the norm.

Your thoughts?
Riverwhispering

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 07:17:13 PM »

I've read posts here that some people still pee after they start dialysis and often the case is they are peeing water not the toxins because the kidneys aren't filtering the toxins.  That's what the dialysis machines do.  So bottom line is yes you can pee still but it doesn't mean your kidneys are functioning.

It's only one step from the Jungle to the Zoo
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 05:41:59 PM »

Also, if he is in Stage 5 (ESRD) borrowing a miracle, they will not come back.  I hate to be the bearer of Bad News, but yes, this is your reality.  It happened to my husband too, but we had no idea, and we were thrust in to our reality.

So sorry, but he can sustain life on dialysis and do quite well.

Sorry dear,
lmunchkin

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 06:17:10 PM »

My neph told me that if the renal failure was a very acute case, kidney function could possibly, and he stressed, Possibly (no gaurantees) could return. But, that the chances were very, very slim. It's likely very rare.

I know of someone who had kidney failure just before Christmas, the docs never found out the real reason why my friend's kidneys failed, but her function returned.  She was a very, very rare, lucky case.

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »