I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 07:57:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Throbbing lower back pain
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Throbbing lower back pain  (Read 14489 times)
SteveK87

« on: February 27, 2012, 04:24:03 PM »

My wife out of nowhere developed a throbbing pain on the left side of her lower back where her kidney is.  Anyone know what may cause this?  Last time she had this it turned out to be a kidney infection, but she says the pain isn't nearly as bad as it was then, and right now it fades and comes back but is a pulsating/throbbing pain.  We had planned to go to the ER but we called and it is an almost 3 hr wait.  Since it isn't tooo extreme we decided to just wait a little and see if it gets better.  She didn't get any sleep last night so I told her a nice nap is in order and we will see how she is when she wakes up.  She isn't nearly as bad as other times in the past when I took her to the ER for other reasons, and she can tolerate the pain for now, it's just a matter of thinking it may be another kidney infection or not that has us debating on going.  Any suggestions or thoughts or remedies?  Thanks.
bleija

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 06:23:49 PM »

i would see your regular doc in the morn, most places allow walk ins, i know i see my doc more time by walk in than actual appts... if it gets intolerable, hospital definitely
SteveK87

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 06:33:39 PM »

As of now the pain is no longer there.  Strange, but good.  Still have no idea what caused it.  What's weird too is that about an hour after the pain had started she had to urinate.  About an hour after urination the pain stopped.  She urinated for maybe a second, but that's about it.  She rarely urinates at all, but when she does it's no more than 2 seconds.
Annig83

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 06:38:23 PM »

It could still be a kidney infection, even though the pain is gone.  I would still go to the doctor and get a urine test.  I used to get them all the time and had the same issue of throbbing pain, that was relieved with urinating.  I have 7 % functioing but I still urinate.  Try taking cranberry pills (if it's okay with her doctor).  My boyfriend also gets stones, which is more rare in women, but it can happen.  I would still make an appointment to make sure everything is okay.  Glad the pain is gone now though.

*~Annie~*
Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.
Arnold Bennett
Even though I have gone through so much with ESRD, my son is my inspiration to keep going.  He was delievered at 28 weeks weighing 1 lb 12 oz and today he is a fun-loving 1 year old, whom I love with all my heart!

Diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome Age 13- 1996 Unknown Cause. 35% functioning of both kidneys.
Stable until Age 27; complications with pregnancy, loss of 25% function. (Current functioning is between 5-7%).
December 3, 2010- PD Catheter Placed on Left Side
March 2011- PD Catheter Removal (Due to malfunction)
April 2011- PD Catheter Placement on Right Side
April 2011- Surgery to adjust Catheter and "tacking of fatty tissue"
May 2011- CCPD Started
October 2012- Infection of PD catheter.  PD Cath. removal surgery. Perma-Cath. Placed for Hemodialysis.
Hemodialysis started October 12, 2012.
January 16 2013- First Fistula
On Transplant List in Indiana, awaiting 1st Transplant at IU Health in Indianapolis.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »