I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 02:38:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  Question for the ladies
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question for the ladies  (Read 12199 times)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« on: January 30, 2007, 08:08:44 AM »

Has CKD or dialysis changed your menstrual cycle in any way?  If so, how? 

Thank you.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 10:32:22 AM »

Has CKD or dialysis changed your menstrual cycle in any way?  If so, how? 

Thank you.
Yes. It is irregular.

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 02:23:16 PM »

I do CAPD and dont know if its the cause , but mine have stopped altogether.

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 02:35:32 PM »

Here's the reason I asked.

I had been suffering from increasingly heavy and painful periods for several years.  Once I moved back to the US and got settled in, I went to a gynecologist who started testing me for various things.  At the same time, the severity of my fsgs was discovered, and I was started on the usual cast of meds...meds for bp, meds for high blood lipids, meds for gout, meds for heart inflammation prevention, and cyclosporine.  Miraculously, my periods have become completely normal.  Actually, they are better than normal.  They're still regular, but they are lighter and almost painless.  I asked my neph about this, and he said that it's just that my body is more normal.  I guess that is generally true, but I'd like to know more about the relationship between the untreated complications of CKD and a woman's cycle.

Why exactly does a woman's cycle become irregular or stop altogether if she is on dialysis?  Does this always happen?  What is it about dialysis that interferes with her hormones?  Or are these just really stupid questions?  I would ask my doctor, but he tends to be rather obtuse in his explanations.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Chicken Little

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 05:04:28 PM »

I haven't started dialysis yet, but my GYN told me that irregular, lighter and shorter periods are common with kidney disease.  Mine has gone from lasting 5-6 days to 1-2 days. 
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 05:22:42 PM »

I haven't started dialysis yet, but my GYN told me that irregular, lighter and shorter periods are common with kidney disease.  Mine has gone from lasting 5-6 days to 1-2 days. 
Really? Mine didn't tell me anything about length but I am so glad you mentioned that because that is how mine is! Is that why they say it is harder to get pregnant on dialysis (no I am not trying .. but it was mentioned in another thread)?

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 05:39:05 PM »

Well, I've had fsgs for 15 years, and I like I had mentioned, I began noticing that my periods were getting heavier and more painful.  I didn't link that to CKD, though.  When I went to my gyn about it, she never mentioned anything about periods and kidney disease (although I didn't specifically ask her; I had told her about my fsgs, though).  But once I started on my meds, my periods very suddenly changed.  I really don't think the change was due to fsgs specifically.  My periods still last a week.  And another thing that complicates the picture is that I'll be 50 this year, so I could well be in perimenopause.  Who knows?

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 07:02:28 PM »

While on dialysis my periods where sometimes irregulare and when I did have it, it was very short, shorter than normal, like 1-2 days. Which was fine by me.  :lol;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Jill D.

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 07:19:08 PM »

Hmmm...I was diagnosed in 1990 with FSGS and my periods steadily became very heavy...it was AWFUL. I never associated it with kidney disease and neither did my gynecologist (although she knows very little about kidney disease anyway!) In 2002 I finally had my tubes tied (hubby never would bite the bullet and get snipped!) and at the same time they did an ablation of my uterus...basically cauterized the lining of the uterus...and it helped immensely! As my kidney function decreased, I started missing periods. I think I had a total of 6 periods within 2004 and 2005. I was told, and have read, that this is normal because decreased kidney function effects your hormones. When I started dialysis in April 2006, my periods actually became regular again.

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
Ginger

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 07:29:34 PM »

Yay for menopause!!!!
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 01:46:13 AM »

Other than having an ectopic pregnancy while on dialysis, I was pretty normal.

But now I wouldn't know, I have had a contraceptive implant (Implanon) for the last 1 1/2 years, and haven't had my period since.

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 05:31:41 AM »

As i said in an earlier post , mine have stopped altogether. Prior to this they were very heavy and very long , up to 10 days, so im not complaining. One of the reasons i was given that 'may' be the cause was chronic anemia.

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 04:01:00 PM »

Mine got MUCH lighter after about 2-3 months of dialysis. Yay!!!! I am also on the patch to help regulate it, but now it is much lighter!!! :clap;  I actually sometimes only have 2 days of it!!
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 09:42:19 PM »

Geez. I am regular as clockwork even on dialysis after eight years.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2007, 04:10:19 PM »

My period has turned into a question mark cuz i never know When? or How long?  :-\

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2007, 05:14:53 PM »

Here's a visual of goofyninas period.

?
Chicken Little

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2007, 09:00:50 PM »

Here's a visual of goofyninas period.

?

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2007, 09:14:09 AM »

TMI!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2007, 02:24:50 AM »

LMFFAO  :rofl; AYE YI YI,  You all are too much, and i love you for it...  :-*

www.kidneyoogle.com
lamillinger913

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2007, 01:22:32 PM »

I'll second that question mark. When? How long? Heavy? Light?  :-\

Lee Anne

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

such small hands http://lamillinger.typepad.com/
Eating Well on Dialysis http://lamillinger.typepad.com/eating_well_on_dialysis/
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2007, 06:18:50 AM »

Just one request for the ladies from a guy.  If at all possible please don't dispose of the commercial products that are utilized in connection with this issue in a place where we are going to find them.  I think that special containers are a really good idea when it comes to this.  Anyway...just a little request and thank you so much.
kelliOR

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2007, 04:36:04 PM »

Just one request for the ladies from a guy.  If at all possible please don't dispose of the commercial products that are utilized in connection with this issue in a place where we are going to find them.  I think that special containers are a really good idea when it comes to this.  Anyway...just a little request and thank you so much.

Perhaps this should be in a thread entitled "Question for the NON ladies"  :lol;  Seriously, livecam, I doubt anyone on this thread discards tampon applicators carelessly. ;D

Shoot for the Moon.....Even if you miss, you'll end up among the Stars ........

Denied PKD for years (Boy, was I good at it!)
Dragged kicking and screaming to dialysis (in center hemo)
Transplant from a friend March 24, 2006 at OHSU
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2007, 06:20:36 PM »

I would hope not. However finding those stringy thingies hanging off the bathroom stall handle is kind of gross. Yes this actually happened.
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2007, 10:23:27 PM »

*ahem*  Well what in tarnations are you doing in the woman's restroom anyways?  :P  lol, j/k

www.kidneyoogle.com
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2007, 05:41:05 AM »

*ahem*  Well what in tarnations are you doing in the woman's restroom anyways?  :P  lol, j/k

Ah, I might have been referring to an issue involving the restroom at my house...it is sort of a dual purpose ladies and gentlemens facility.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »