I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 15, 2024, 04:21:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Lost in a Void of Nothingness
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lost in a Void of Nothingness  (Read 7197 times)
pagandialysis

« on: October 16, 2011, 09:59:16 PM »

The wife just left. I have no idea where she went and I have no minutes on my phone to call her. I just feel so horrible. This is a letter I wrote her but haven't actually emailed her or given her:

Dear WIFE'S NAME,

I just don’t know what to say anymore. Maybe you’re right. Maybe it’s time that we went our separate ways. I tried to do things that would make you happy and make you feel like there was less stress on you. Maybe I just didn’t do a good enough job, though. When you told me that you were leaving I actually felt relieved. The only thing I thought about was “Finally, no one will yell at me, berate, or belittle me for every little thing. I won’t have to feel bad about being ill.” For the last few months no matter what I do it seems to be the wrong thing. I say the wrong thing, I do the wrong thing. No matter what I seem to do or say I make you angry. I am almost afraid to be near you or speak to you at all. It makes me so horribly sad to be near you some days. I feel like you’re angry that I have this illness and since I am the only one around you take it out on me. Do you have any idea what it feels like to know someone is yelling at you just because you’re ill? You make me feel like a horrible person. You make me feel like I should be ashamed to be alive. When you left I didn’t feel sad at all, even though I am extremely sad as I write this. I just don’t know what to do or even what to say anymore. This doesn’t even come close to all of the things I think or feel but it’s all I can get out on paper.

I just don’t know what to do anymore.
Love,
MY NAME

Dining on Dialysis - www.diningondialysis.com
-------------------------------------------------------------
Kidney Transplant (December 31, 2014),
Dialysis-Hemo (Started May 17, 2011. Ended December 29, 2014),
AV Fistula #2 (This one is a Basilic Transposition),
CKD (IgA Nephropathy) Stage 5,
Hypertension (Under Control)
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 10:22:54 PM »

I am sorry you are going through this. My ex was similar.  I divorced before I got ill so she did not yell at me for being ill while we were married.  She has asked me when I am going to F-ing die since we were divorced.  Actually yelled it at me with my children in earshot.  It is hard but in the long run I know that I am much better off without her.  Remember the old joke: Why is divorce so expensive? Because it is worth it.  Please know that I am not making lite of your situation.  If you need someone to talk to during this rough time please do not hesitate to contact me.
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 04:17:50 AM »

Phew, I don't know what to say to this, only I am sorry for the both of you. Sorry that your wife can not cope with your illness and sorry that she has made you feel, useless. It is hard being the carer and yes there are days when I feel like running away. She is probably angry with you and your illness  because it has changed both your lives and she perhaps resents this. Why did you not give her the letter, let her know how you feel. Are you being fair with her and your self. If you love her let her know, find ways of doing things differently. and working together. Hoping things work out for you.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 06:03:34 AM »

I'm so sorry you're going through this on top of the illness.  It is a very difficult thing to  negotiate as a couple despite the fact that some people feel it brings them closer.  I dont think it does, it most usually creates distance and that leads to loneliness, anger and the whole big mess.  Whether you divorce or not though, I think it is important to talk, really talk about the feelings (very different on each side) and try to understand the position of the other.  I hope you might get a chance to do this but if that is impossible then I hope you can find some peace apart.   :grouphug;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 08:49:17 AM »

:grouphug;

My condolences. I agree with Monrein, though. It is so important to talk. It will be emotional, but you owe it to each other to be honest in your communication. Try not to blame, but share what you are feeling inside.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 09:41:45 AM »

So sorry, pagan. Please reach out to the people on IHD who have experience in this.

I had a very volatile relationship with my husband but that has changed dramatically since my transplant. We were at each other's throats for years, and he moved out for a short while, and we slept in separate bedrooms many nights.

I know nothing about your dynamic with your wife, but for us, I felt like he was ignoring me. I would have rather he shouted at me (I think, anyhow) because at least it would have been some acknowledgment that I was there, that I was unhappy, that he had a role in that unhappiness and there were things he could do to address it that he was consciously choosing not to do. Things would fester with us for years.

He is much better with these issues now. If there is no communication, there is no realtionship. It takes so much work to get over the resentment that builds on both sides, the pair of you need to be willing if the marriage is going to be saved. What do you want to happen? Do you want to make it work, or do you think you'd be better off going your separate ways? What attracted you to each other in the first place? I think it helps to discuss this since often it gives a clear picture of what has changed, whether it can be changed back, and it never hurts to remind yourselves why you love or loved one another.

It sounds like she resents having serious illness take over so early in her life - this was obviously not what she envisioned in a marriage. Must be nice to be able to come to that realisation and then 'solve' the problem by walking out the door! If she is that type of person to abandon you because she does not want to have to deal with ESRD, get out now. If she is just so angry at the illness and taking her frustration out on you because she never learnt any healthy coping skills, then perhaps there is hope. Please do not isolate yourself. Find someone to talk to, or talk to us. We'll jump into the void with you.  :grouphug;

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
pagandialysis

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 07:09:24 AM »

Quick Update: The wife came back that night and we have been working through some things.

Dining on Dialysis - www.diningondialysis.com
-------------------------------------------------------------
Kidney Transplant (December 31, 2014),
Dialysis-Hemo (Started May 17, 2011. Ended December 29, 2014),
AV Fistula #2 (This one is a Basilic Transposition),
CKD (IgA Nephropathy) Stage 5,
Hypertension (Under Control)
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 08:17:09 AM »

:thumbup;  put lots of heart and thought into it ... It's tough on both of you.  I hope your feeling a bit of peace about now  :flower;

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 10:38:42 AM »

pagandialysis, I really hope you get it back together. Tell her how you feel, ask her about her worries as well. Good luck.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 11:22:38 AM »

This illness is hard on you both.  I'm sure she has her fears and her worries, too.  Life with renal disease is so very difficult; try to be good to each other if at all possible.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Marsh

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 04:42:21 PM »

Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 04:47:03 PM »

:grouphug;     :grouphug; 

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 08:23:17 AM »

lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 02:04:01 PM »

Glad she came back.  You guys talk heart to heart!  It is hard on you, but this is hard on her too!  You love each other, so the love will prevail!

Good luck to you both,
lmunchkin
 :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
sutphendriver

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 04:27:48 PM »

I'm going to go a different way here and say quit feeling sorry for your self and be a man for gods sake.  You are the man and as such the head of your household, you need to quit crying and take control of your marriage.  It is not easy all the time, but you can make it through any rough spot with the lord and determination. Divorce is very rarely any more than being lazy.  Man up may not be the touchy feely answer, but it is the right one.   
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 04:42:20 PM »

I'm going to go a different way here and say quit feeling sorry for your self and be a man for gods sake.  You are the man and as such the head of your household, you need to quit crying and take control of your marriage.  It is not easy all the time, but you can make it through any rough spot with the lord and determination. Divorce is very rarely any more than being lazy.  Man up may not be the touchy feely answer, but it is the right one.   

What does "take control of your marriage" actually mean, practically speaking?  And what does one do when one "mans up"?  Can you be more specific, for pagan's sake?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2011, 06:38:51 PM »

Sutphender, that's a liitle harsh.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
sutphendriver

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 08:21:47 PM »

its easy, you sit down with your wife, your soul mate, your life partner, whatever and you work it out....no excuses.  Thats how you take control, be the man and work through the problems instead of bitching about it on a medical forum to complete stangers.  I don't want to start a religious debate but the lord was very clear about the man keeping his house in order.  It is harsh, but come on...I can't be the only one tired of reading all the bleeding heart, feel sorry for me bs that comes through here. 
dyann

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 09:50:50 PM »

superbummer is what you call yourself  I am sorry but your comment and man up was uncalled for  this Illness is hard on everyone the one with it and family yes you have to work through it, but sometimes that doesnt work  there are fears and frankly some people really cant deal with others being sick it doesnt mean they dont care it means they just cant handle it and need to do whats right for them at the time, my ex doesnt understand  and I respect his feelings but I cant make it better I can just listen respect those who cant deal with my illness and make the best out of my life.  we cannot control what other people do, feel or think about our illness it is what it is, and sometimes you just have to let them deak with it in thier own way.  Just saying!!
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 10:00:29 PM »

its easy, you sit down with your wife, your soul mate, your life partner, whatever and you work it out....no excuses.  Thats how you take control, be the man and work through the problems instead of bitching about it on a medical forum to complete stangers.  I don't want to start a religious debate but the lord was very clear about the man keeping his house in order.  It is harsh, but come on...I can't be the only one tired of reading all the bleeding heart, feel sorry for me bs that comes through here.

I would hope that the Lord understands that it is difficult to control your spouse and to keep your house in order when dialysis is looming so large.  Maybe the Lord will intervene in some way.  I would think that success largely depends upon whether or not your wife wants to work it out in the first place. 

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2011, 10:24:38 PM »

I'm glad you are working on things, pagan.

sutphendriver, that's an overly harsh response, and not really of any help to pagan or any other person going through marital problems caused by illness.  Chronic illness adds an incredible amount of stress to a relationship.  How, exactly, does pagan tell his non-functioning kidneys to "man up"?  And insisting that  the man is supposed to be in charge don't sit well with most women these days, Christian or not. 

I can't be the only one tired of reading all the bleeding heart, feel sorry for me bs that comes through here. 

Actually, no, the vast majority of us don't have a problem with this.  One of the major functions of a support group is to have a safe place to spew the "bleeding heart bs" so that we can cope better in our relationships.  We are here to help each other.  Please keep that in mind.

jbeany, Moderator

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

sutphendriver

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2011, 08:04:09 AM »

I do not need a lecture on how this disease effects your life.  Put your selves in his wifes shoes.  He posts a breakup email on the net for thousands to read before he emails it to her.  How much of a man deals with marital problems via email.  He need to grow some stones and sit down face to face and deal with it.  To often support groups turn into pity me fests.  I believe my response was of way more help than all the pity and cute emoticons posted in response to his "dear Jane" email.  I said be a man and deal with the problem, whats wrong with that?  I sound like he did just that, delt with it without email.  God commands husbands to place their wives on a pedistal and put their every need ahead of his own, thier is no disclaimer for dialysis.
Desert Dancer

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2011, 08:47:29 AM »

My, my, my, but aren't you a special snowflake? Must be nice to have all the answers. You obviously have no need to be here with us losers.

I'd suggest you take your paternalistic BS and haul ass to church. That is, if you can fit your 'stones' and your head through the door.

If you ever come to the realization we are all frail human beings with different capacities for coping, we'll still be here. I would imagine that day will come sooner rather than later, as "The Lord" has a way of bringing to their knees those who puff themselves up thinking they have it all together and think that makes them superior to their fellow creatures. Think on that.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 09:01:44 AM by Desert Dancer » Logged

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2011, 09:40:14 AM »

To often support groups turn into pity me fests. 

I agree that this is the case with many support groups.  Years ago, I attended a support group for parents with autistic kids, and it was awful.  It was filled with traumatized parents who really did not have the strength to support anyone else.  I attended twice and then bailed.

In saying that, though, I do find IHD to be different.  Maybe it's the fact that it is online and is therefore always available, so people can come on and talk about all kinds of stuff, thus making it more of a community than a paltry support group.

As for the rest of your post, sutphendriver, to be fair, I can't disagree with you much.  Maybe your delivery was a bit harsh, but the message isn't faulty, really.  I'm not sure your "man up" mindset is going to be greeted with applause from most women on IHD, so maybe what would be more effective is to say something along the lines of, "Don't waste your time sorting this out online with people who don't know you, rather, go to the heart of the problem."  Would that be fair to say?

cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2011, 10:42:57 AM »

Is this some sort of test? To see how long the feminist can read this crap without taking a stand?

Good thinking on quoting the Bible, sutphendriver, as I'm sure someone who goes by pagandialysis totally cares what Jesus would do.

My, my, my, but aren't you a special snowflake? Must be nice to have all the answers. You obviously have no need to be here with us losers.

I'd suggest you take your paternalistic BS and haul ass to church. That is, if you can fit your 'stones' and your head through the door.
Agreed! Why not man up and go it alone if you hate support groups so much?

pagan, I've posted some very personal issues on line. It helps me that there are strangers responding (although many of those strangers have now become friends). Strangers will not be caught up in the emotion of it and can give you their honest take. You've kept it anonymous, so I don't see that you've violated anyone's privacy. If it helped you, who cares what dissenters think?

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »