I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:45:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  What (if anything) brought a smile to your face to day?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What (if anything) brought a smile to your face to day?  (Read 9689 times)
alewis328

« on: August 31, 2011, 12:07:59 PM »

I am seriously having a hard time finding my smile today. I hate that feeling! Anyone having better luck with that than me?
 :waving;

Ash

Girlfriend and caregiver to an amazing man & dialysis patient
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 12:16:01 PM »

A fuzzy cat tummy, positioned belly up for a rub as soon as I came home from class.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 04:36:52 PM »

spending time with my 19 year old daughter. She actually wanted to be with me for a while and got off the computer!

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 04:55:44 PM »

The fact that "TYFLY GOT THE CALL".

lmunchkin    :yahoo; :2thumbsup; :clap; :cheer: :yahoo; :2thumbsup;  :clap; :cheer:

:kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 04:57:37 PM »

I went to the Toronto air show today, what a spectactular show and then after that I went to eat dinner at the Old Spaghetti Factory downtown TO. What a wonderful time with my family . We managed to dodge all the rain today. We were on the beach and had a wonderful time!!! Now, I'm enjoying a beautiful sunset at home after a bad rain storm that we drove in on the way home.     :flower;

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 05:15:46 PM »

My oldest turned 20.  We are trying to make men ice cream cake for the first time.  Well, it is not perfect but we are having fun.
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 05:53:09 PM »

and for today..........  hearing TS sing  ;D

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 05:55:35 PM »

My daughter is the Executive Director of the Eastern N.C. MDA and today is the telethon. (no Jerry Lewis this year)  She has worked very hard the past couple of months; working with the "fill the boot" campaign, Shamrock $1 donations @ stores, etc.  So, my smile today is watching her on tv and being interviewed. I am sitting here amazed. This is the little girl that was a ball of fire growing up.  Now the ball of fire is making a huge difference in the non profit world.   It makes me smile (and cry a little) because I am extremely proud of the woman she is. 

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 07:13:39 PM »

My friend, helping his teenage daughter as she was fishing from the dock, made everyone laugh.  She caught a decent sized fish by herself, only she swung it around to her dad where he stood on the dock next to her to have him take it off the hook, since she refuses to touch them.  Just as she asked, "Is it big enough to keep?" the fish flopped free, hit her dad in the chest and bounced back into the water.  "Nope," he deadpanned.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 07:02:40 PM »

My friend, helping his teenage daughter as she was fishing from the dock, made everyone laugh.  She caught a decent sized fish by herself, only she swung it around to her dad where he stood on the dock next to her to have him take it off the hook, since she refuses to touch them.  Just as she asked, "Is it big enough to keep?" the fish flopped free, hit her dad in the chest and bounced back into the water.  "Nope," he deadpanned.

That just made me laugh.... also, I discovered, my accident, after waiting in the chair to have my needles put in for 45 minutes (I don't think nurses should be able to take stat holidays off just because it's a holiday when they are providing an essential service), that ther was a Back to the Future marathon on.  Made me feel much better.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 06:30:11 AM »

Ordered a dress to go to fancy dress party at weekend (60's do) and its a psychedelic hippie mini dress that is positively nearly almost indecent!
The smile on my face says ...
Can I really wear this.... out in public !!!!   :bandance;

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 07:12:38 AM »

Because Mog was out all night he's very clingy today.  He's currently on my lap (he's NOT a lap-cat usually) and he's fallen asleep mid wash, so his nose is stuck up his bum and his back leg is wrapped around his neck.  It looks most uncomfortable!  It made me giggle so I had to share.

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 09:01:37 AM »

Ordered a dress to go to fancy dress party at weekend (60's do) and its a psychedelic hippie mini dress that is positively nearly almost indecent!
The smile on my face says ...
Can I really wear this.... out in public !!!!   :bandance;

:pics;  :pics;  :pics;
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 11:36:40 AM »

Heck, I want pics of the cat, too!

My smile for the day was finding a pair of jeans that fit at the op shop.  Hurray for second hand!  I'm so tired of having to do laundry twice a week since I've only got a few pairs of jeans that fit anymore.

CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 12:49:50 PM »

This actually happened yesterday morning but t made my husband and I both laugh.

We got to sleep in because of the holiday so didn't get up & do our usual routine. After I got up to make coffee, I glanced out of the window & saw that the birdfeeders were empty. I figured I'd go fill them in a little bit. Before I could, however, On of "our" birds came to the window and started tapping on it & wouldn't stop until I went over to it. As soon as I walked away, hestarted in again! Finally, I got the hint & went out & filled the feeders. No more tapping after that! How spoiled are they when the wild birds start reminding you that their feeders are empty?   :laugh:

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
mcclane

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2011, 02:10:10 PM »

ok, this is abit dialysis related (sorry)  :oops;

on labour day monday, i had the worst time shoving a blunt needle into my arm for button hole development (the hospital sent me home with some needles so i can practice at home).  I was sooooooooo  PO'd that i was on the verge of breaking down. 

I told my wife how i felt (the anger wasn't with the hospital or the nurses), but at how frustrating it was to shove a needle into the arm.  She hugged me and said just hang in there, it made me feel alot better !  :thumbup;

On the flip side, I made rabbit stew and had some leftover, so i took it to work for lunch, it made my day.  :2thumbsup;
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 10:02:16 PM »

This photo.....  http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/318850_10150781866860455_665590454_20513697_276638_n.jpg

My mom posted this on Facebook, with the caption "so this is why my plants didn't grow"

My aunt replied "Where did you buy those seeds?"

I'm thinking of recaptioning it with, "the results of the Grow-Your-Own-Cat kit exceeded expectations"
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 10:04:16 PM by Riki » Logged

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 04:56:33 AM »

Finally, I got the hint & went out & filled the feeders. No more tapping after that! How spoiled are they when the wild birds start reminding you that their feeders are empty?   :laugh:
Cheeky bugger! It's a tad worrying though, isn't it?  Heaven forbid you go away anywhere for a while because you'll come home to find a bunch of dead birds in your garden, starved because they've lost all self-feeding intuitions!

Riki, love the photo.  I wouldn't mind some of those seeds, either!

;D

CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 07:55:41 AM »

This photo.....  http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/318850_10150781866860455_665590454_20513697_276638_n.jpg

My mom posted this on Facebook, with the caption "so this is why my plants didn't grow"

My aunt replied "Where did you buy those seeds?"

I'm thinking of recaptioning it with, "the results of the Grow-Your-Own-Cat kit exceeded expectations"

:rofl;  I've had those seeds! I used to have a bunch of "barn" cats and they were always laying in my plants. We finally figured out that if we left some empty pots around, they most likely would sleep in those!  :lol;

Finally, I got the hint & went out & filled the feeders. No more tapping after that! How spoiled are they when the wild birds start reminding you that their feeders are empty?   :laugh:
Cheeky bugger! It's a tad worrying though, isn't it?  Heaven forbid you go away anywhere for a while because you'll come home to find a bunch of dead birds in your garden, starved because they've lost all self-feeding intuitions!

Riki, love the photo.  I wouldn't mind some of those seeds, either!

;D

I have gone for several days without filling the feeders. But they had never tapped at the window before! We are in a wooded area and there is plenty of food around. We hardly see our cardinals during the Summer. During the Winter, we do try to make sure they are filled always.

Think about it! LOL!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 02:17:50 PM »

I spayed my Grow-Your-Own kit!

My frown for the day - yet another Big Gulp cup left behind on top of the mailboxes at my apartment complex.  Grrrrr.... There's a dumpster 50 feet away, darn it.  Why do the rest of us have to deal with some lazy idiot's mess?

My smile for the day - posting this to the wall above the mailboxes, right next to the abandoned cup:

THE DUMPSTERS ARE AT THE END OF THE DRIVEWAY. 
USE THEM PLEASE!
If you need someone to pick up after you that much -
Rent your mom an apartment here.

CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 04:41:57 PM »

My smile for the day - posting this to the wall above the mailboxes, right next to the abandoned cup:
THE DUMPSTERS ARE AT THE END OF THE DRIVEWAY. 
USE THEM PLEASE!
If you need someone to pick up after you that much -
Rent your mom an apartment here.
   :rofl;

My smile for the day: I took the dog for a walk and was throwing his ball for him. He went to catch it and stopped so fast, his butt went up above his head! I laughed so hard! He just looked at me like, "What?"

Think about it! LOL!
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 08:57:04 PM »

I had a sixth grader tell me today he does not like it when I am out. I am more funner than a substitute teacher, even though I do make them work.  Made me smile!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 01:18:19 AM »

my dog

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 08:44:34 AM »

Normally, I don't like to "dress-up" the critters, BUT we saw a doggie t-shirt yesterday that made us laugh so hard. It said:

"The Cat Made Me Do It!"   :rofl;

If you knew our cat & dog, you'd be laughing already!     
Tuula (cat) is a manipulator. Timo (dog) is gullible.  This fits in more ways than one!   :laugh:

Think about it! LOL!
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 02:10:57 PM »

Whilst walking through town today I was accosted by a 'chugger' (someone who earns money to pounce on you and guilt-trip you into giving them your bank details so they can set up a monthly payment for whichever charity they happen to be working for that particular day ... they tend to work in teams so as soon as you side-step one, another will pounce - are they a UK thing or do they exist elsewhere in the world?) 

Often I just ignore them, but her opening line today was, "Do you feel nice today?" so without stopping I responded with, "Nope, not at all.  Today is not a day that makes me feel nice; I am not a nice person," and continued on my merry way.  It made my friend smile anyway.  Actually, that reminds me of another time when one asked me, "Do you have money to spare?" to which my only response was waving two armfuls of extravagant shopping at him and asking, "Does it look like I've got money to spare?"

Am I mean? 

A nicer something that brought a smile to my face today: Bargains!  Almay mascara for 99p and twenty Christmas crackers for £3.  I'm really getting into this bargain hunting lark.

;D

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »