I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 05:55:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  What (if anything) brought a smile to your face to day?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What (if anything) brought a smile to your face to day?  (Read 9644 times)
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2011, 03:15:22 PM »

Holy cow, does that work with anyone?  I would NEVER give my bank account info to someone who walked up to me on the street!  Sounds like complete stupidity to me!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2011, 04:11:36 PM »

Whilst walking through town today I was accosted by a 'chugger' (someone who earns money to pounce on you and guilt-trip you into giving them your bank details so they can set up a monthly payment for whichever charity they happen to be working for that particular day ... they tend to work in teams so as soon as you side-step one, another will pounce - are they a UK thing or do they exist elsewhere in the world?) 
  ;D 

That reminds me of some phone calls my husband and I were getting a few years ago. This "company" kept calling and saying we had filled out an entry form (we didn't) and had won a $1500.00 gift card for a local mall. Curious, we started asking for details. It seems they wanted  $5.00 "processing fee" and wanted our bank routing number, not the account #. The routing # & our name would give them access to ALL of our accounts! We wouldn't give it to them. We asked for their address to send them a money order. They refused to give their address saying that it had to be done electronically. There was no way! So we told them thanks, but no thanks.  The very next week, we got a phone call from the same "company" saying we had won a $500.00 gift card! My husband had answered the phone and put it on speaker so I could listen. He proceeded to argue with the guy about the $1500.00 gift card we were offered last time. The guy on the hone kept trying to come up with an explanation but my husband wouldn't back down. Finally, the guy who called us got so frustrated that HE hung up! We haven't heard from them since. We did give the name of the company to our Better Business Bureau. I had to laugh because usually my husband is not that forceful!   :rofl;

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2011, 05:36:38 PM »

YouTube can always put a smile on my face. I saw this today, and it worked
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxPbgnO81sQ&

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2011, 01:22:57 PM »

Holy cow, does that work with anyone?  I would NEVER give my bank account info to someone who walked up to me on the street!  Sounds like complete stupidity to me!
It does and people do!  It's all legal and even well-established charities 'fundraise' in this way, but the 'chuggers' are mostly incredibly extrovert young people who do it for extra income to get through uni.  The silly thing is that your charitable donation for a year probably equals one 'chuggers' wage for a day so it's money which would be better donated by other means.

YouTube can always put a smile on my face. I saw this today, and it worked
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxPbgnO81sQ&
LOVE this!

At the football match today two ten year old boys next to me made me smile with their enthusiatic (and somewhat inaccurate) chatter about football (soccer, but I refuse to call it that).  Their enthusiasm was balanced out by the hard-nut fans who shouted lots of rude words at the referree, linesmen and players.  This also made me smile.  I love football matches!

;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2011, 10:57:39 PM »

Usually it is the male cat, but today the pup greeted me at the door all jumpy till he saw how I looked, then just walked by my side without trying to trip or run in front of me.Then just put his head in my lap after we both sat on the stairs till I went up to my room where he laid there without chasing or barking at the cat laying under my desk. Fell asleep on the floor and woke up 5 hours later with both of them gone without making a noise.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2011, 04:34:26 AM »

Usually it is the male cat, but today the pup greeted me at the door all jumpy till he saw how I looked, then just walked by my side without trying to trip or run in front of me.Then just put his head in my lap after we both sat on the stairs till I went up to my room where he laid there without chasing or barking at the cat laying under my desk. Fell asleep on the floor and woke up 5 hours later with both of them gone without making a noise.

Isn't it amazing how they always seem to know?  I was sooo tired after D yesterday that I wanted to take a nap. My husband laid down also. This was about 2 pm. We woke up a couple f times but did not "get up" until 4am this morning! Meanwhile, the cat & dog were very quiet and indulged in none of their usual battles until after we got up!

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2012, 05:46:09 PM »

This!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2012, 07:08:10 PM »

OMG.. Jbeany... I LOVE that..... I guess you just made me smile.. *G*

My family doctor, when I had just come home after the peritonitis infection, saw me walking with a walker.  I explained to him that I had a lot of fluid buildup in my legs (I didn't understand it much back then, but now I think the nurses in the hospital may have been running me in minimum because they didn't know how my body would react) due to the dialysis. After what I thought was a reasonable explanation, he said, very sharply and to the point, "if your weight is affecting your mobility, perhaps you should think about losing a few pounds."  I was shocked.

A month or so ago, my mom met up with my neph in the parking lot at the dialysis unit, and she relayed this story to him.  He asked her if I'd had a bat.  Mom kinda looked at him, until he said, "she should knock some sense into him."  He might be a dork, but he gets me. *L*

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »