I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 04:30:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  Not good news ...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Not good news ...  (Read 7886 times)
nwigirlmom

« on: January 16, 2007, 05:37:16 AM »

(For a basic intro of our story - and so I don't potentially bore anyone to tears - feel free to re-read my intro here:  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=2133.0 )

Anyhow, my MIL was having some serious probs breathing so I took her to the cardiologist on Thursday.  Basically, she was diagnosed with uncontrolled a-fib - which we knew about.  (She was on amiorodone but they took her off due to some liver complications)  So she was admitted (and she wasn't liking it btw) and moved to ICU about an hour or so into admission.  (Her heart rate was irregular and hovering around 150 at rest - she got up to go to the bathroom and hit 220.)

To make a long story even longer, they did a catheter ablation and inserted a defibrillator yesterday.  The electrophysiologist came out after the procedure and said she did really well, her heart rate was a solid 80 and basically gave us good news.

I had to leave to go home but my husband followed her back up to ICU and was met by a doctor he had never met - the oncologist.

In a nutshell, she has multiple myeloma (a blood cancer) and that is probably the underlying reason for her kidney failure and heart problems.

We're in shock. 

We asked (or DH asked last night) that they not say anything to her (which wasn't hard because she was sleeping off some really good drugs and undergoing dialysis when she returned to her room) until one of us was there this morning.  DH just left for the hospital.

I'm leaving soon ... but I'm devastated.

EDITED: Moved to Other Severe Medical Conditions - Sluff, Moderator

« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 08:20:53 AM by sluff » Logged
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 08:23:10 AM »

Really sorry to hear the news about your MIL. I've been in your shoes with my Mom.

There's no way to express myself except I'm praying for a quick resolve.
mallory

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 01:00:34 PM »

Wow, nwigirlmom, I am so sorry.  Keep us updated, and I'll be praying for all of you.  I hope everything works out. :grouphug;

Sometimes the light’s all shinin’ on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it’s been.
                                  - Jerry Garcia
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 08:46:44 PM »

I am soooo sorry this has happened.  I pray for you all as she goes through all of this.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 10:02:56 PM »

:grouphug;

Hang in there.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 11:14:26 PM »

Thinking of all you, hope everything is ok.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
nwigirlmom

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 07:41:04 AM »

Hi all ...

Thanks for the thoughts.

I'm actually at the hospital right now - love wireless! - waiting for her fistula and biopsy surgery to be done.  (They're doing both at the same time.)

There was some discrepancy yesterday at her diagnosis - mainly due to her kidney doc who I like less and less for many many reasons - but the surgeon spoke to the oncologist before surgery and the oncologist confirmed that she has multiple myeloma and they're doing a biopsy to test for secondary amyloidosis.

And the she's scheduled for a bone scan later today.

We we're at the hospital all day yesterday waiting for the oncologist to show up - MIL doesn't know his diagnosis and we felt it best that she be told with us and the doc present.  I left at 2:30pm, DH left at 7:30pm and the oncologist never showed.  Ugh. 

The surgeon (who I love - he's done a few surgeries on me) asked the oncologist to come today to explain the situation further to us. 

So this is going to be a long day ... prayers welcomed please. 
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 08:25:53 AM »

So this is going to be a long day ... prayers welcomed please

You got them.
nextnoel

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 08:30:38 AM »

Nwigirlmom, you and your family have my ongoing prayers - you've been hit by so much in such a short time.   :grouphug;

I can't reach the hill like I used to, but I'm not at a standstill yet!
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 08:53:43 AM »

Thanks for the update..You are in my prayers and thoughts. I'm praying everything goes well, and that you all have a peace about whats going on.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
anja

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 10:48:56 PM »

So sorry for your devastating news.  Hope your MIL is strong enough to deal with all this, but sure she is greatful to have the both of you there acting as her advocate and support!  Best of luck in the days ahead!
nwigirlmom

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 08:36:15 AM »

Thank you for your prayers everyone.

I'm at the hospital now, MIL is sleeping, and we're waiting on the social worker.

She had dialysis yesterday, but they couldn't take any fluid off and they had to discontinue because her blood pressure is low.  It's 80/40 right now.

I walked in this morning, she opened her eyes and said, "just let me go."

I feel like someone has kicked me in the chest.

We're awaiting on the social worker to talk about home hospice - I think we're bringing her home today.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 11:24:48 AM »

Thank you for your prayers everyone.

I'm at the hospital now, MIL is sleeping, and we're waiting on the social worker.

She had dialysis yesterday, but they couldn't take any fluid off and they had to discontinue because her blood pressure is low.  It's 80/40 right now.

I walked in this morning, she opened her eyes and said, "just let me go."

I feel like someone has kicked me in the chest.

We're awaiting on the social worker to talk about home hospice - I think we're bringing her home today.

I know this is hard but I had to tell my dad that it was ok for him to go. He needed to hear that. reassure that the family is being taken care of and it's ok to rest now.

I am sorry for the times ahead but she may know more than anyone that it may just be her time. Thanks for the updates during this difficult time. Will be awaiting the outcome. I hope and pray for the best whatever that is.

Sluff
nwigirlmom

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 06:59:43 PM »

It's funny, we had some of the best conversations today.  She wasn't mean, depression was gone ... the most accurately I can describe it, it that she's completely at peace with her decision.

They came this afternoon to turn the defibrillator off - we weren't there for that, and I'm glad.

Her blood pressure is still really low and her oxygen satuation (??? - the ET finger thingy) is under 90 - it was in the 70s at one point.

The hospice company came and dropped off the bed, commode, tray table and oxygen.  We'll be bringing her home in the morning.

I had a minor ... well, sorta major .... breakdown in the cafeteria today.  I'll be okay though.  We still haven't told our daughters yet.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 07:06:40 PM »

It was harder to watch my Mom suffer than it was to tell her it was OK to go and we would see her again.  Hospice is a great help to everyone.  I was diagnosed just months after Mom died and my MIL died 3 days after my diagnosis. It was not a good year, but we keep moving forward. I worried about my kids during that time; losing both Grandmothers and dealing with my future. But, fortuately, we are a strong family and lean on each other.  My prayers are with all of you during this sad time. It is OK to break down and show your emotions.  I pray that God will give you all the strength you need to get thru this.  :grouphug;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007, 08:00:52 PM »

:grouphug;  I am sorry for what your going through-I wish you all to be at peace. :grouphug;

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2007, 08:06:30 PM »

It's funny, we had some of the best conversations today.  She wasn't mean, depression was gone ... the most accurately I can describe it, it that she's completely at peace with her decision.

They came this afternoon to turn the defibrillator off - we weren't there for that, and I'm glad.

Her blood pressure is still really low and her oxygen satuation (??? - the ET finger thingy) is under 90 - it was in the 70s at one point.

The hospice company came and dropped off the bed, commode, tray table and oxygen.  We'll be bringing her home in the morning.

I had a minor ... well, sorta major .... breakdown in the cafeteria today.  I'll be okay though.  We still haven't told our daughters yet.

Cherish the time you have left. It really is a blessing that you know in advance her decision. It's much better than just getting phone call. Spend time letting her know you will miss her, and that she has been an important part of your life and how she will be remembered. I think it means alot to them..this is what I was able to do with both my parents.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2007, 08:11:20 PM »

I hope her heart is right with the Lord.  I don't mean to get religious on you, but I feel that as a Christian I have to at least ask.  This is an important time.  It may be comforting to know that kidney failure is an easy death.  They just get really tired and sleep.  I'll be praying for your family and situation.  Give MIL a kiss on the cheek for me.

nwigirlmom

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2007, 05:47:04 PM »

Hi all ....

This will be my last post since the board is no longer relevant to our situation - but I did want to express my heartfelt thanks to everyone on this board.

We brought my MIL home on Friday afternoon - she had ribs and a double baked potato, called her best friend on the phone, had two ladies she had known for eons visit and talked to her granddaughters like she hadn't in months.

On Saturday she requested an Egg McMuffin, the health aid came to help her bathe ... and then she fell asleep.

She never woke up and with DH and I there, she passed away at 1pm on Monday.

Thank you all ... for your help and kind words. 
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2007, 05:53:03 PM »

Sorry for your loss. You will always be welcome here at IHD if you ever need to be here.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2007, 06:00:05 PM »

Thanks for sharing your story with us. Continued prayers for all of you. Please come back once in awhile, just to visit!

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2007, 12:10:29 PM »

How are you doing?  And what about the grandchildren?  Please convey our caring and supportive thoughts to all of you.  I must say that she went in a beautiful way.  That is how I would like it to be when my time comes.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »