I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:06:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  Korshield.com - "Keeping Catheter Sites Dry!" NOW YOU CAN SHOWER! (IHD Sponsor)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Korshield.com - "Keeping Catheter Sites Dry!" NOW YOU CAN SHOWER! (IHD Sponsor)  (Read 36540 times)
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« on: December 05, 2006, 03:06:11 PM »

Dialysis Catheter Patients:
When was the last time you could take a shower?

[/size]

(The following is taken from the Korshield website)

My name is Dr. Adel Korkor and I am a clinical nephrologist treating dialysis patients with central venous catheters and temporary and tunneled hemodialysis catheters for over 25 years.

Over the years, my catheter patients have come to me asking how they could take a shower rather than always having to take a bath. They would come to me showing all the different ways they had “jerry-rigged” their catheter site so they could shower and, frankly, most of them scared me! Catheter infection and sepsis were only just some of my concerns. I knew there had to be a better way.

Over the last 3 years, I have worked to develop a catheter site protector that finally met my requirements. The Korshield is a patented (US Patent 6,877,167) product that uses the same technology the U.S. Navy SEALS use to keep dry diving in hundreds of feet of water. Like the Navy SEALS, my patients come in all shapes and sizes, so I designed the Korshield to custom fit your neck and head.

Catheters are a pain to deal with
I know it and you know it. However, they are often the only solution that is available. That does not mean your quality of life has to suffer because of it.

Patients who have used the Korshield have been thrilled to be able to take a shower again. It is amazing how this simple addition to a person’s daily life can make such a difference.

Here are testimonials from central venous catheter patients who have used the Korshield.

"It was so invigorating to shower again!!"
"It has changed my life, I can finally stand up in the shower and really wash my hair."
"I love the fact that I can take a shower again."

How does the Korshield work?

The Korshield has a rubber neck seal that you pull over your head before you enter the shower. This keeps water out from under the cape preventing water leaking onto your catheter site. You adjust the cape so that it covers your catheter site completely. Shower normally; however, you need to clean carefully the area under the cape so that you keep water from coming in contact with the catheter site.

When you are done with your shower, dry your hair and face and carefully, remove the Korshield by pulling it over your head (you can stretch the opening along the side of your neck), and hang it in the bathroom where it can drip and dry.

I know that cost is always an issue. The disposable options can cost hundreds of dollars per year. I designed the Korshield to be reusable giving you many years of service. It is made from high quality, heavy-duty polyurethane-coated ballistic nylon to be waterproof and take the abuse of years of use.

How do you get the Korshield?

Simply visit us at http://www.korshield.com

Or call us at 866-811-4900 and simply say "I need help with my Korshield" and you will be directed to the right person.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message from Epoman, I encourage all IHD members to check out the "Korshield" and let us know how it worked out for you. Korshield is an Official IHD Sponsor.

- Epoman
Owner/Admin

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Fox_nc

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 03:42:33 PM »

$40 is a cheap price to pay to be able to take a shower again!  I would order one today if my catheter wasn't being removed in the next 2 weeks.  But, if I have to get another one down the road I will diffidently order one!  Great info!

Being normal is not necessarily a virtue. It rather denotes a lack of courage. -- from the movie Practical Magic
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 06:01:08 PM »

$40 is a cheap price to pay to be able to take a shower again!  I would order one today if my catheter wasn't being removed in the next 2 weeks.  But, if I have to get another one down the road I will diffidently order one!  Great info!

I hope when anyone orders, I would ask that you let them know, you found about the "Korshield" from ihatedialysis.com since they are a official sponsor now. :thumbup;

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 05:02:56 AM »

Why don't people just use Tegederm????? I mean .. that is what I used for OVER a year and my catheter NEVER got infected!  :-\

added: It IS  a good link though! I am not dissing it ;)

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Fox_nc

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 08:36:01 PM »

Why don't people just use Tegederm?????

Well, because we can't all use Tegedermn . . . I'm allergic to tape and currently have no options but to take a sponge bath and have my husband wash my hair in the sink for me.  Products like this are a God-send for people, like me, who can not have a 4x6 piece of our skin removed everytime we want to shower.

Being normal is not necessarily a virtue. It rather denotes a lack of courage. -- from the movie Practical Magic
Foxys-Boy-Toy

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 08:40:13 PM »

Message from Epoman, I encourage all IHD members to check out the "Korshield" and let us know how it worked out for you. Korshield is an Official IHD Sponsor.

- Epoman
Owner/Admin

I think this in itself is the best reason to look at and try Korshield!

To Infinity. . .and BEYOND!
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 12:18:54 AM »

Why don't people just use Tegederm?????

Well, because we can't all use Tegedermn . . . I'm allergic to tape and currently have no options but to take a sponge bath and have my husband wash my hair in the sink for me.  Products like this are a God-send for people, like me, who can not have a 4x6 piece of our skin removed everytime we want to shower.
Oh that makes sense! I think you should try it then as this is made for people like you! Good luck and I hope you say here how it works out!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
John S.

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 01:39:15 AM »

Amazingly, Dr. Korkor is my dads nephrologist. My dad only sees him for checkups of his kidney due to diabetes. This guy is a super doxtor and you can actually sit down and talk to him like a regular guy. Great sense of humor too.

If your wondering, he is in Brookfield, WI. Just a couple miles outside of Milwaukee.

john
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 03:21:24 AM »

I am truely impressed by the Neph's that take the time to make patient care better. They don't do that in my city ... Like this Dr. Korkor and also the one who made DairyDelicious™. These Neph's are the ones I really truely admire!  :thumbup;
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 03:25:29 AM by angieskidney » Logged

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
leafsunbear

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 07:39:15 AM »

It looks like it would work great for washing your hair and face, which are very neglected on me.  The rest of the body looks like it would be a chore.  Also it doesn't protect against condensation.   I will probably buy one for washing my hair and face.   Then I will just use my regular non microwaveable saran wrap cover for my catheter.  I remember taping plastic grocery bags around my IJ's in the beginning.  Thirty something later and I have things dialed in.  I could probably was my hair and face with my current setup, but instead I just turn my head upside down and wash my hair and face that way.  With my strength weakening I think be able to hold my head upright and wash would be a blessing.  Now to get the money together to buy another dialysis gadget. 
LSB

http://360.yahoo.com/leafsunbear
My ramblings about life in general for me on Yahoo360
maisha_r

Just a beautiful place....

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 04:47:45 PM »

ok help me here,  i am amazed from what i am reading in this thread, so we do not suppose to shower because water could enter our exit site?  nobody has told me about avoiding shower and i have been showering since i got the catheter.  My exit site keeps in draining,  I have been told is ok,  but yesterday i asked the pd nurse that why a chart they have on wall says our exit site should look as pointed there not the other way around as mine?  then she finally said that next dr. visit i would get a good check up,  she even said with this exact words "you can shower sunday morning but do not shower monday morning for the doctor to see the how much your exit site is draining". ???

"I would like to walk where life leaves deep marks" s.r
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 09:53:51 PM »

I believe this is for shoulder and neck line catheters not PD catheters.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
KR Cincy

Home hemodialysis since May 07

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 08:19:21 AM »

As soon as I started training for home hemodialysis, the nurse trainer said it was now ok to go ahead and shower...that further research had shown as long as the catheter entry had healed up from insertion, that water running over it was no problem. I had my catheter in for 6 months...shwered normally with it for 4 of those months and had no infection. I was even told in the Access Center when I was having some fistula work done that I had the cleanest catheter they'd seen. When it came out last week, it was in great condition with no signs of any infection.

Not giving up...thanks to Susan.
BroBrooz

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 04:02:02 PM »

:Kit n Stik; Hmmm... I'm on PD, no one told me to keep it dry. I've even showered with the machine hooked up (was late for work, and the cycler couldn't tell time). Did OK, no problems. I've been removing the bandages, then showing-there has been no problem. haven't told my nurse about it,but don't think she'd be concerned. As soon as I dry off, we (MrsBroBrooz helping) bandage up.
BTW-to the person who was alergic to the tape. Have you tried paper tape? I got a rash with plastic tape, paper tape is working well.

EDITED:Changed color to black-kitkatz-Moderator
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 05:10:21 PM by kitkatz » Logged
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 04:11:18 PM »

We're talking permacaths for hemo, not PD catheters.  Altogether different.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
BroBrooz

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2009, 06:23:07 PM »

...what my Davita nurse said...
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2009, 06:30:58 PM »

BroBrooz,  I'm confused here.  My understanding is that you can shower with a PD cath.  The Korshield is to protect a hemodialysis catheter that goes right into the right atrium of the heart and so infections are really scary and could be fatal.  Peritonitis from a PD infection is no picnic either mind you but as far as I know, showering is fine.  I've never been on PD myself so know very little about it.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Michael57

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2009, 09:51:45 AM »

Hi:

I had a catheter for almost four years in the '90s and showered every day with blessings of nephrologist. Evem swam occasionally, but not in public pools. Used 3M cover and never had a problem with infection.

This likely is even more efficient. Sure it will make a lot of people happy.

Michael
Michael57

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2009, 09:53:35 AM »

Hi Again:

Should have mentioned I was on Home HD for clarification.
Michael
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 05:57:34 PM »

I have a Korshield.

After about 5 months, the rubber seal around the neck part started to weaken, resulting in water getting underneath the Korshield onto my chest.  So I had to order a replacement.

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2013, 10:42:06 AM »

I got one a month ago and the rubber neck seal came unglued from the fabric.  The Korshield support person was great to deal with - immediate shipment of a replacement without waiting to get the failed one back so I can get back in the shower soon.  They wanted the old one back to see the failure, but were content to let them cross in the mail.  Class act.
duncan reamhiar

Forward The Forty Twa

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2013, 02:02:30 AM »

i was told by my surg i could shower.. never told me anything about having to keep the site dry.... mmmm wondering aboout this now as my site's been infected since day 1... (3 weeks ago)took 1st shower after 2nd week... i also have a question.. when i went to the dialysis class they showed us a "belt for PD tubes?... the place i go to says they don't supply belts and i'd have to find one myself as most of THEUIR clients just use tape.. anyone know where and how much i could find a belt for.. it has a clip for the cap of the tube and looked MUCH more easier instead of using tape all the time

Nemo me impune lacessit

RESPECT

Duncan Reamhair
Shaks24

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2013, 07:43:55 AM »

You can get nice PD belts from Stickman Industries(google it). They are about 20 bucks each. Very comfortable and great quality. I got 5 of them before my surgery. It seems that many hospitals/surgeons give adivice on showering that conflicts with what a PD nurse will tell you. My PD nurse said a minimum of 2 weeks and only then if the exit site is uninfected and healing nicely. My surgeon/hospital said 48 to 72 hours. Go figure!

Congestive heart failure 2011
Currently about 19% Kidney Function
September 11, 2013 PD Catheter and Fistula Surgery
September 27, 2013 Started PD
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2013, 09:43:06 AM »

I'll give a second vote for the Stickman belt. I have 7 of them and one for the shower. The do a terrific job keeping my cath out of the way and immobilized. As for showering, my surgeon told me not to get the exit site wet for 2 weeks, so sponge baths only and wash my hair in the sink. After 2 weeks I could take showers as long as I do exit site care any time I get the site wet. So far, I have not had any problems. (knock on wood...)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
duncan reamhiar

Forward The Forty Twa

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2013, 11:50:44 PM »

thanks for the feed back on belts.. i think i'm going to go WITH one...  i find it very irritating using tape for my tube... 'll talk to my dr and see if they can supply the belt.. if not i can look online   :2thumbsup; :thx;

Nemo me impune lacessit

RESPECT

Duncan Reamhair
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »