I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:21:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Advocacy
| | |-+  Is this naughty?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is this naughty?  (Read 8421 times)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« on: July 13, 2010, 09:59:58 PM »

I got a jury summons.  I am required to fill out a juror profile questionnaire.  I can do it online.  So I did.  But I noticed that there was an option to request a deferral.  I requested a deferral.  I had to explain why I wanted a deferral in 150 characters or less.  I explained succintly that my mother in Texas was ill and that I had to go see her, and that also I have severe kidney disease and may require dialysis soon AND that I was currently going through evaluation for the transplant waiting list.  I added on a lark, "Wanna donate? LOL"  Was that really naughty of me?  I'm feeling a bit naughty tonight...

Do you think I'll get my deferral??  Bets, anyone?

Do you think I'll get a kidney? :rofl;
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 10:01:14 PM by MooseMom » Logged

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 10:26:15 PM »

Hopefully you will.

I got a summons about 3 years ago as well. In that case the procedure was very clear to get a deferral, that it had to be backed up with a letter from a medical professional. My neph had no problem writing one up, so I sent it off and never heard anything more about it, so I'm guessing they accepted it. A pity really as I'd quite like to do it. Maybe if/when I get a transplant I should contact them and say I'm Ok to go back on the roll now. I think it would be interesting!

As for being naughty? Don't ask me - I just bought a bottle of french bubbly for Bastille day!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 10:34:18 PM »

I got that letter not long after I started D.  I got the letter from my doc, explaining my D times and my kidney failure, and sent it off.  They sent back a letter saying I was allowed to skip this call, but I was still on the list for the next one in 6 months in case my health improved.  Gotta love that kind of optimism about the speed of the transplant list!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 08:42:09 AM »

If you're naughty, then I'm somewhere on the level of axe murderer!  :rofl;

I got summoned in SF about 15 years ago. Keep in mind, I had a perfectly functioning transplant back then, but I come from a family that makes sport of dodging jury duty. (My father is an attorney, so he's off for life. My mother has six children, and if you provide childcare to someone under the age of something, maybe 13, you're off the hook as well.)

OK, so I got this letter, wrote a brief little summary of my situation making it sound vaguely dire, and sent it off. They totally ignored it and called me down to the courthouse. No big deal, I'm thinking, everyone wastes a day or two sitting down here, but no one ever gets put on a jury (except Oprah). I was in the waiting area for all of 30 minutes when I was called into the gallery and found myself sitting with 50 or so others before a judge. He explained this was going to be a reasonably long case (at least a week) and I recognized at least one of the attorneys from the news. Then the judge said if you think you cannot meet this obligation for some reason, the bailiffs will be handing out a form NOW. Raise your hand, if you do not address this now, I will not be releasing anyone later so don't ask.

I got the form and it basically said to just write out your reason for not being able to serve on a jury. The judge said he would be calling almost everyone who wants a release into chambers (eeep!) but a few he would release immediately and a few he would reject out of hand. I remember almost exactly what I wrote "I had an organ transplant 20 years ago and my immune system is compromised. Being around other people can be really dangerous for me as even catching a cold could result in damage to the transplant." Of all the people who requested the form (and it was nearly everyone in the room!) only two people were released without question, and I was one of them. They really don't mess with the medical excuses. The last thing they want is to be midway through a trial and have a juror with a medical emergency.

I had my nephrologist in Long Beach sign my form 3 years ago. He completely laughed at me for asking him to do it, and he put my prognosis down as 'guarded' (no idea what that means - code for liar? :rofl;). Hey, if I'm going to have to live with renal failure my entire life, I'm grabbing the perks with both hands!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 09:02:25 AM »

Ha Ha!!!!!.... BRILLIANT!!!!!!!...... I'll bet that brought a big smile to the face of the official reading that!!!!.... Well done!!!!...

My mum was called about three years ago, but as she's over sixty-five, she can be excused as of right... Besides, I can see the judge being happy to adjourn to allow her to dialyse!... Besides, her hearing's not good...

And yes, I'd grab the opportunity to dodge it.... And I have too...

I got summoned for duty about six months ago... I got a carer in for Mum, and I popped into the court about a week before I was to appear, and spoke to the registrar... He was very accomodating when I explained about caring for my mum.... He also said "Please excuse me mentioning this, but I see you are disabled".... (Well, the powered wheelchair's a bit of a dead giveaway!)... He asked about how my impairment affects me, and if I have pain... I replied that I'm always in pain... And I told him of my nut allergy... He said he had concerns about feeding me if I was on Jury service, and said that not all Jury Room, or even Jury Boxes in the courtrooms are wheelchair accessible...  Then he asked if I'd like to be excused... I replied "Yes please"...  "Okay" came the reply "You're excused for life... If you hear from us again, don't worry... Just give us a call and quote this reference number"... I needn't tell you, I left that building as quickly as me wheels could carry me just in case he changed his mind... LOL.....!...

As someone said, the impairments we have, and those of the people we care for, are a real drag, so I too take advantage of any little perks!...

Darth....

« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 09:12:42 AM by Darthvadar » Logged

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 10:22:01 AM »

Every now and then I get called (always from a different court), and I just get another letter from the neph and send it in.  Even before I went on dialysis I would have written that I only had 18% kidney function and was weak and exhausted all the time!  I feel much better being on overnight PD and most of my days are free, but I never know when I roll out of bed whether it will be a "do all the housework day" or a " lie around watching tv day."  Oh, yeah, and I've been known to play the pity card once in a while, like asking my neighbor to put out my trash cans yesterday.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 12:15:33 PM »

Actually, I don't mind being on jury duty.  I got a summons in Feb, and I was prepared to go, so I called the Friday before as instructed, and I was told that I would not be needed.  I would be happy to serve again, but in all honesty, the time frame is terrible because I plan to spend much of August in Houston with my mom.  And back in December when my eGFR went below 20 for the first time, my neph predicted I'd be starting D in 6-12 months, so I'm by no means stretching the truth.  And I really did ask the jury people if they wanted to donate... >:D

Actually, I see my neph tomorrow, so I might ask him to write a letter in this regard.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 07:43:59 PM »

Heck lol, I don't think that's naughty at all. The person reading that form is probably just like you and I and will get a chuckle/smile from that. It is only true right? lol  You're not ashamed of your condition and I say more power to you!

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
natlarson

"No ,it's not a stenosis, it's just bent"

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 11:44:38 AM »

Not naughty at all!!!!!!! and yes you should get your defferal, and yes you will get that transplant!!!

CA-FISTU-LA
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 06:54:21 PM »

I got the deferral the very next day!

My husband and I went out to dinner this evening, and the restaurant had brown drawing paper they used as tablecloths.  Each table also had a box of crayons.  So on our "tablecloth", I wrote:

"Save a life.  Please consider organ donation.  Thank you very much."

I don't know if anyone will see my note, but perhaps someone will and will share the message.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 06:57:52 PM by MooseMom » Logged

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 10:43:29 PM »

:2thumbsup; MM I like your style!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »