I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:11:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  Top 7 Fitness Exercise Tips for Kidney Patients
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Top 7 Fitness Exercise Tips for Kidney Patients  (Read 27925 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: May 07, 2010, 09:19:31 PM »

Top 7 Fitness Exercise Tips for Kidney Patients

Regular exercise improves muscle function, helps control blood pressure, lowers cholesterol and increases quality of sleep.

Despite the multiple benefits, many chronic kidney disease patients do not exercise enough due to concerns regarding what type of exercise they can do, how often they should exercise and how to create a fitness schedule. This month, the National Kidney Foundation answers 7 common fitness questions from CKD patients.

1. What types of exercise can I do?
      Choose continuous activity such as walking, swimming, bicycling (indoors or out), skiing, aerobic dancing or any other activities in which you need to move large muscle groups continuously.

Low-level strengthening exercises may also be beneficial as part of your program. Design your program to use low weights and high repetitions, and avoid heavy lifting.

One simple way to exercise and help many others with CKD is to join a local Kidney Walk
   2. . How often and for how long should I exercise for?
      Exercise at least three days a week. These should be non-consecutive days, for example, Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Three days a week is the minimum requirement to achieve the benefits of your exercise. Work toward 30-minute sessions. Remember to build up gradually to this level.

3. Can I take part in vigorous physical activity?
      Yes. In the past, it was thought that people with kidney disease would not be able to join in vigorous activity. We know now that patients who decide to follow an exercise program are stronger and have more energy.

4. How hard should I work while exercising?
      This is the most difficult to talk about without knowing your own exercise capacity. Usually, the following ideas are helpful:
          * Your breathing should not be so hard that you cannot talk with someone exercising with you. Try to get an exercise partner such as a family member or a friend.
          * You should feel completely normal within one hour after exercising. If not, slow down next time.
          * You should not feel so much muscle soreness that it keeps you from exercising the next session.

The intensity should be a "comfortable push" level. Start out slowly each session to warm up, then pick up your pace, then slow down again when you are about to finish. The most important thing is to start slowly and progress gradually, allowing your body to adapt to the increased levels of activity.
   5. When should I exercise?
      Try to schedule your exercise into your normal day. Here are some ideas about when to exercise:
          * Wait one hour after a large meal
          * Avoid the very hot times of the day
          * Morning or evening seems to be the best time for exercising
          * Do not exercise less than an hour before bedtime

6. When should I stop exercising?
      You should stop exercising if you feel any of the following:
          * Very tired
          * Shortness of breath
          * Chest pain
          * Irregular or rapid heart beats
          * Sick to your stomach
          * Leg cramps
          * Dizzy or light-headed

7. Are there any times when I should not exercise?
      Yes. You should not exercise without talking with your doctor if any of the following occurs:
          * You have a fever
          * You have changed your dialysis schedule
          * You have changed your medicine schedule
          * Your physical condition has changed
          * You have eaten too much
          * The weather is very hot and humid
          * You have joint or bone problems that become worse with exercise

If you stop exercising for any of these reasons, speak to your doctor before beginning again.

From NKF Newsletter

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 12:46:44 AM »

Thanks, Karol!  I just cut and pasted this into my 'Health' folder.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 03:24:15 AM »

I like the part about "when should I NOT exercise".

:waving;

jccarey09

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 12:08:10 AM »

Thanks for those very helpful tips. Kidney patients should not exercise hard because it might it might affect their kidneys.

Looking for options to buy Vitamins with the price you can afford? Check out Health Supplements Canada now.
greg10

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 05:19:34 AM »

Thanks for those very helpful tips. Kidney patients should not exercise hard because it might it might affect their kidneys.
You mean like Dialysis Dan doing whitewater rafting?  :)

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=19740.0

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 08:09:56 AM »

At every visit, my neph tells me part of the reason I'm doing so well is likely because I've stayed fit and that she wants me to keep it up. I get tempted to slack off, but her encouragement helps. I think I'll skip the whitewater rafting, but kayaking might be fun, and I keep being tempted to buy a bike. The only reason I haven't is that I'm afraid to ride next to cars.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
The Lone IT from HM

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 10:01:20 AM »

Have you all heard that light exercise DURING treatment is good for removal of fluid removal?  keeps your O2 up and makes the fluid move from the cells into the blood system.

James C. Reed
Director of Information Systems
Hema Metrics LLc
Office: 801 549-9203
Mobile:801 682-7614
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 04:25:05 PM »

Have you all heard that light exercise DURING treatment is good for removal of fluid removal?  keeps your O2 up and makes the fluid move from the cells into the blood system.

Ears plugged..... la la la la la la la la la la la    >:D   

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 07:23:16 PM »

Yes, actually, I have heard that.  I heard about one clinic that had a recumbent bike thingy.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
The Lone IT from HM

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 07:52:36 AM »

I like Rerun's responce...I can just imagine FMC turning all thier clinics into Dialysis and Fitness centers :rofl;  There are some really "interesting" YouTube videos on exercising during treatment.

James C. Reed
Director of Information Systems
Hema Metrics LLc
Office: 801 549-9203
Mobile:801 682-7614
Aelred

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 10:12:02 PM »

Hey okaral thanks for sharing this one info with all of us at the forum,
I hope that this will help much to all of the member's of the forum and
you will keep sharing this kind of the helpful and useful info with all of us at the
forum....

Willis

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 01:15:27 PM »

I exercise extremely hard 3-5 hours 3 days per week with lighter exercise including weights on my off-days. My nephrologists and every other doctor I've talked to credit this for why I made it so long without needing dialysis.

It wasn't always so for me...after getting out of the Army I gained 75 pounds. I've managed to lose 50 of that over the last few years after I decided I didn't want to die sitting on my couch eating chips and watching TV. Now that I am on PD they tell me the more exercise the better.

CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 09:31:27 AM »

Having a dog, I walk several times per day. He's my little training buddy for the 3 mile Gift of Life Walk that is coming up in October. Me, my husband and the dog will be participating.

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
mcclane

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 08:28:17 AM »

where i work (and where my wife works) there is a gym (we both work at universities).  I go at least 5-6 times a week. 

I try to do at least 30-35 min of cardio, then weight traning.  I know the newsletter says to avoid heavy lifting, but I do it anyways.  On PD, that is a big no no (i got 2 hernias because of it), but on hemo, I'm pushing myself harder.  To develop my fistula, i did intense bicep curls, from light weight but high reps, to heavy weight but low reps.  I still continue to do curls to maintain the fistula and to keep it plump.
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 12:22:59 PM »

:thumbup;

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Rain

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2011, 10:41:36 AM »

I exercise every day, I walk for at least an hour a day, and then 3 days week I swim or hit the gym including weights. I find it makes me feel better between treatments.

1988  Diagnosed with reflux and kidney damage
2006-  Diagnosed with Renal Failure and start dialysis in centre with catheter
2007- Fistula created and in centre hemo with fistula
2012- Fistula clotted and central line inserted
May 2014- Received Kidney from deceased donor
Big E

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2011, 01:14:50 PM »

I like doing step aerobics, but I definitely have a lot less energy when my hemoglobin level is low.

PKD diagnosed June 1996
Started in-center hemodialysis May 2010
jennymathew

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2013, 03:24:57 AM »

Exercise is very important aspect. Choose continuous activity such as walking, swimming, bicycling (indoors or out), skiing, aerobic dancing or any other activities in which you need to move large muscle groups continuously is usually help.  Exercise should be done for at least three days a week. These should be non-consecutive days, for example, Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Three days a week is the minimum requirement to achieve the benefits of your exercise. The exercise should be done under the proper guidance of your personal trainers. We also hired a personal trainer from mobile trainers providers Fitmotion for my brother who has now become his friend.
pagandialysis

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 09:31:19 AM »

It's posts like this that make me happy to be a part of this community.

I just joined the local YMCA which is a block away from my apartment and I've been wondering what else I could do besides the Treadmill and a Stationary Bike and here I find this wonderful guideline.  :bandance;

Now I just need to find swim trunks in November...in Western NY.

Dining on Dialysis - www.diningondialysis.com
-------------------------------------------------------------
Kidney Transplant (December 31, 2014),
Dialysis-Hemo (Started May 17, 2011. Ended December 29, 2014),
AV Fistula #2 (This one is a Basilic Transposition),
CKD (IgA Nephropathy) Stage 5,
Hypertension (Under Control)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 06:22:39 PM »

It's posts like this that make me happy to be a part of this community.

I just joined the local YMCA which is a block away from my apartment and I've been wondering what else I could do besides the Treadmill and a Stationary Bike and here I find this wonderful guideline.  :bandance;

Now I just need to find swim trunks in November...in Western NY.

Try amazon! :) http://www.amazon.com/Kanu-Surf-Barracuda-Trunks-Medium/dp/B004DNVP40/ref=sr_1_2_mc?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1384914040&sr=1-2

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
pagandialysis

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2013, 09:07:59 PM »

Thanks! Those actually look nice.

Dining on Dialysis - www.diningondialysis.com
-------------------------------------------------------------
Kidney Transplant (December 31, 2014),
Dialysis-Hemo (Started May 17, 2011. Ended December 29, 2014),
AV Fistula #2 (This one is a Basilic Transposition),
CKD (IgA Nephropathy) Stage 5,
Hypertension (Under Control)
talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2014, 04:16:49 PM »

Top 7 Fitness Exercise Tips for Kidney Patients

Regular exercise improves muscle function, helps control blood pressure, lowers cholesterol and increases quality of sleep.

Despite the multiple benefits, many chronic kidney disease patients do not exercise enough due to concerns regarding what type of exercise they can do, how often they should exercise and how to create a fitness schedule. This month, the National Kidney Foundation answers 7 common fitness questions from CKD patients.

1. What types of exercise can I do?
      Choose continuous activity such as walking, swimming, bicycling (indoors or out), skiing, aerobic dancing or any other activities in which you need to move large muscle groups continuously.

Low-level strengthening exercises may also be beneficial as part of your program. Design your program to use low weights and high repetitions, and avoid heavy lifting.

One simple way to exercise and help many others with CKD is to join a local Kidney Walk
   2. . How often and for how long should I exercise for?
      Exercise at least three days a week. These should be non-consecutive days, for example, Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Three days a week is the minimum requirement to achieve the benefits of your exercise. Work toward 30-minute sessions. Remember to build up gradually to this level.

3. Can I take part in vigorous physical activity?
      Yes. In the past, it was thought that people with kidney disease would not be able to join in vigorous activity. We know now that patients who decide to follow an exercise program are stronger and have more energy.

4. How hard should I work while exercising?
      This is the most difficult to talk about without knowing your own exercise capacity. Usually, the following ideas are helpful:
          * Your breathing should not be so hard that you cannot talk with someone exercising with you. Try to get an exercise partner such as a family member or a friend.
          * You should feel completely normal within one hour after exercising. If not, slow down next time.
          * You should not feel so much muscle soreness that it keeps you from exercising the next session.

The intensity should be a "comfortable push" level. Start out slowly each session to warm up, then pick up your pace, then slow down again when you are about to finish. The most important thing is to start slowly and progress gradually, allowing your body to adapt to the increased levels of activity.
   5. When should I exercise?
      Try to schedule your exercise into your normal day. Here are some ideas about when to exercise:
          * Wait one hour after a large meal
          * Avoid the very hot times of the day
          * Morning or evening seems to be the best time for exercising
          * Do not exercise less than an hour before bedtime

6. When should I stop exercising?
      You should stop exercising if you feel any of the following:
          * Very tired
          * Shortness of breath
          * Chest pain
          * Irregular or rapid heart beats
          * Sick to your stomach
          * Leg cramps
          * Dizzy or light-headed

7. Are there any times when I should not exercise?
      Yes. You should not exercise without talking with your doctor if any of the following occurs:
          * You have a fever
          * You have changed your dialysis schedule
          * You have changed your medicine schedule
          * Your physical condition has changed
          * You have eaten too much
          * The weather is very hot and humid
          * You have joint or bone problems that become worse with exercise

If you stop exercising for any of these reasons, speak to your doctor before beginning again.

From NKF Newsletter
Thank you okarol, for the exercise info.
Will have more to add at another time.

talker

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
Dman73

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2014, 12:34:35 PM »

I walk, swim, indoor bike and lift light weights. If for some reason I stop the activity (ie, catch a cold) I get achy joints, cranky and depressed.

Check with your doctor to see if there is a reason not to start an exercise program and if he clears you it is important to start slowly and increase gradually.
Over time there seem to be no limits... just take a look what Shad Ireland is able to do.
Now there are more and more dialysis patients running marathons. 

Good Luck Everyone...

hd 73
tx  87
hd 01

by the yard life is hard by the inch it's a cinch...
talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2014, 01:18:22 PM »

I walk, swim, indoor bike and lift light weights. If for some reason I stop the activity (ie, catch a cold) I get achy joints, cranky and depressed.

Check with your doctor to see if there is a reason not to start an exercise program and if he clears you it is important to start slowly and increase gradually.
Over time there seem to be no limits... just take a look what Shad Ireland is able to do.
Now there are more and more dialysis patients running marathons. 

Good Luck Everyone...
Thank you.
At 87. I do odd arm exercises rebounder and Yogata.

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »