I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 05:33:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Working while on Dialysis
| | |-+  Using the "Kidney Disease Card"
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Using the "Kidney Disease Card"  (Read 32713 times)
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2012, 07:15:41 PM »

The big problem with student loans are they are non-dischargeable in bankruptcy, and since lenders know this, there is absolutely no incentive for them to do workouts or deals - as is standard practice with dischargeable debts like credit cards.  Even "forbearance" is just a deal to temporarily reduce payments - while the interest charges continue to accrue.

I suggest you find an attorney who understands student loan disability discharge and get an office consult.   You need to know EXACTLY what your doctor needs to certify, and then consider getting a second opinion if you medically qualify but the doc won't put his name on your claim.
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2012, 06:26:30 AM »

Another words Im pretty much screwed. good reason for me to go to hospice at somepoint. Going to college was the biggest mistake of my life. I never thought I was going to be on dialysis for so long. And without a kidney Im pretty much screwed. Ill never be able to afford to pay back my college loans. Apparently I cant get a kidney, too many antibodies, and noone wants to get tested.

btw, how do you know all this bad news?

Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2012, 06:28:35 AM »

So yeah that is why I dont work and why he wouldn't sign off to have my loans forgiven.
The reasons are tough, but a large percentage of the reasons are those that the govt will not accept as a factor in determination of disability for student loan purposes.   Don't assume that loan forgiveness would necessarily be forthcoming, even if your doc signed the papers.  One of the standards for forgiveness is no possibility of becoming un-disabled, and that one could he hard to prove.

But now its to the point that Im never going to be able to pay them even if I become able to work a full time job. When I first got out of school the loan amount was $200 a month approx. Year after year of being on dialysis it is now with the intrest rate, the payments are $500, even with a good paying job I am not going to be able to pay $500 just for a student loan!! THey wont get rid of the intrest rate for me to be able to afford it when and if I can work.
 Now if I werent on dialysis and could work right after college, my payment would of been $200, but with going 4 years on economic hardship, the intrest rate keeps adding up and up.

can't you get a forbearance?  Something that freezes it so the interest doesn't accrue? 

Nope there is nothing that I can do to stop the intrest rate from piling up.

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

daughter born 11/2005
10/2007 started PD
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2012, 01:04:20 PM »

btw, how do you know all this bad news?
I've been around a while and I read a lot :).

Seriously, your issue here is legal and not medical, so you need a lawyer who is really skilled in disability law to see if you can get "certified" to the satisfaction of the fed student loan program - don't take one doc's word for it.   To a doc, disability is the inability to do certain tasks; to an attorney, disability is a legal status.   
RedMist

I see your point. Now what?

« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2012, 04:43:35 PM »

I went through a similar situation.  Dept. of ED. discharged my loans and I'm not allowed to earn more than twice the poverty level for three years.  I'm a licensed healthcare provider and would like to work but it's not at all certain I can.  Being 62 and not having worked for 2 years also means I'll have to be self-employed again.

Anyway, if you're not coming off of dialysis you have a solid case for the Dept. of Ed.  You may have to fight.  I had to pay for a lawyer from my SSDI to hammer the nephrologist so he'd send the forms to the Dept. of Ed.   On the other hand, he needed his posterior kicked and I had nothing better to do. 

Red Mist

Red Mist

One's friends are that part of the human race with which one can be human.
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2012, 06:15:33 PM »

I went through a similar situation.  Dept. of ED. discharged my loans and I'm not allowed to earn more than twice the poverty level for three years.  I'm a licensed healthcare provider and would like to work but it's not at all certain I can.  Being 62 and not having worked for 2 years also means I'll have to be self-employed again.

Anyway, if you're not coming off of dialysis you have a solid case for the Dept. of Ed.  You may have to fight.  I had to pay for a lawyer from my SSDI to hammer the nephrologist so he'd send the forms to the Dept. of Ed.   On the other hand, he needed his posterior kicked and I had nothing better to do. 

Red Mist

The Department of education is not quite as bad as Sallie Mae, and Im only 30 years old. Because im on the transplant list they seem to think im going to get a kidney at somepoint. My antibodies are too high and after over 5 years of being listed and not a single phone call I doubt if im ever going to get a kidney.

Lisa

daughter born 11/2005
10/2007 started PD
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2013, 08:38:59 AM »

Forgot to post...

Used the KD Card just before Christmas... Got called for Jury Service...

Wrote to the court explaining that I'm caring for my mum who has KD and Parkinson's, and I'll need to do her dialysis three times a day...

Got a letter by return post withdrawing the summons...

Yes, I know it's my civic duty, etc., but I have to say being able to play this card was useful...

Love to all...

Darth...

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
Desert Dancer

« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2013, 09:26:44 AM »

You're lucky... Andy just got called and he told them he was sole caregiver to a home dialysis patient.

Didn't matter, they still consider him eligible.

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2013, 07:48:09 PM »

You're lucky... Andy just got called and he told them he was sole caregiver to a home dialysis patient.

That bites! 

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2013, 03:18:15 AM »

DD, may I make a suggestion???...

Get your Other Half to write to the Court, explaining that while he's happy to 'do his Civic Duty', etc., there are certain arrangements you need the court to make to enable you to do so...

For example, he could write something along these lines...

I am Primary and sole carer to my wife who has end stage Renal Failure, is on Peretonial Dialysis administered four times daily... She also has (insert other health conditions here)... As my wife is so unwell, I cannot in all consience leave her home alone for any length of time...

1. As I'll have to bring my sick wife with me, I'll need a Disabled Access Parking Space reserved...

2. I'll need the court to adjourn at least once, and more likely, twice each sitting day to administer my wife's dialysis... Forty minutes for each exchange should do it...

3. I'll require the use of a room containing a couch or suchlike for my wife to rest as Chronic Fatigue is a major symptom of Renal Failure... Will also need this room to have handwashing facilities and a hard surface to sterilise in order for me to administer the dialysis... Peretional Dialysis has a major drawback... Infection Risk!... A peretonitis is very easy to aquire, but can be fatal... Please ensure that any Air Conditioning/Heating System in said room needs to be filtered for safety... I would appreciate the reassurance of certification of clean air circulating in the room...

4. The court will have to be aware of, and make allowances for the fact that Renal Failure is a variable condition... One day a person is 'up', next day very unwell, and needs medical assessment... If that were to be the case during my jury duty, of course, the court would need to adjourn to allow me to get her the help she needs... After all, as her sole carer, my first duty is to her...

I do of course realise that meeting these requirements might be very difficult for the Courts Service to meet, but please understand that it's FAR more difficult for my wife and I to meet the demands of my serving on a jury... If I am to serve, I believe it's only reasonable for the service to meet me halfway in this endevour....

Give it go... You've nothing to lose, and everything to gain!.... It'll make it VERY difficult for them to insist he serve!...

Darth....
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 09:27:45 AM by Darthvadar » Logged

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2013, 07:19:32 AM »

DD, may I make a suggestion???...

Get your Other Half to write to the Court, explaining that while he's happy to 'do his Civic Duty', etc., there are certain arrangements you need to court to make to enable you to do so...

For example, he could write something along these lines...

I am Primary and sole carer to my wife who has end stage Renal Failure, is on Peretonial Dialysis administered four times daily... She also has (insert other health conditions here)... As my wife is so unwell, I cannot in all consience leave her home alone for any length of time...

1. As I'll have to bring my sick wife with me, I'll need a Disabled Access Parking Space reserved...

2. I'll need the court to adjourn at least once, and more likely, twice each sitting day to administer my wife's dialysis... Forty minutes for each exchange should do it...

3. I'll require the use of a room containing a couch or suchlike for my wife to rest as Chronic Fatigue is a major symptom of Renal Failure... Will also need this room to have handwashing facilities and a hard surface to sterilise in order for me to administer the dialysis... Peretional Dialysis has a major drawback... Infection Risk!... A peretonitis is very easy to aquire, but can be fatal... Please ensure that any Air Conditioning/Heating System in said room needs to be filtered for safety... I would appreciate the reassurance of certification of clean air circulating in the room...

4. The court will have to be aware of, and make allowances for the fact that Renal Failure is a variable condition... One day a person is 'up', next day very unwell, and needs medical assessment... If that were to be the case during my jury duty, of course, the court would need to adjourn to allow me to get her the help she needs... After all, as her sole carer, my first duty is to her...

I do of course realise that meeting these requirements might be very difficult for the Courts Service to meet, but please understand that it's FAR more difficult for me and my wife to meet the demands of my serving on a jury... If I am to serve, I believe it's only reasonable for the service to meet me halfway in this endevour....

Give it go... You've nothing to lose, and everything to gain!.... It'll make it VERY difficult for them to insist he serve!...

Darth....

:clap;   :clap;   :clap;

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2013, 09:25:04 AM »

Thanks Cebushan...

No harm in trying, anyway!....  :rofl;

Darth...

Hazmat35

« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2013, 09:28:11 AM »

Forgot to post...

Used the KD Card just before Christmas... Got called for Jury Service...

Wrote to the court explaining that I'm caring for my mum who has KD and Parkinson's, and I'll need to do her dialysis three times a day...

Got a letter by return post withdrawing the summons...

Yes, I know it's my civic duty, etc., but I have to say being able to play this card was useful...

Love to all...

Darth...

I took my Jury Duty notice to my doctor, and his nurse filled out the "form letter" that he already had made.  Changed the dates and names and sent it to the court for me.  DONE!  No Jury Duty. 

Brother Passed away - 1990 - Liver Disease
Diagnosed w/ Polycystic Kidney Disease - 1998
Mother passed away - Feb. 1999 - PKD
Sister passed away - Feb. 2006 - PKD
AV Fistula / Upper Left Arm - September 2009
Father passed away - September 2009
In-Center Hemo Dialysis - April 2010
Broken Knee Cap - January 2015
Diagnosed w/ A-Fib October 2017
Surgery to repair Hiatal Hernia 2018
Multiple Fistula Grams / Angioplasty's since then!

Hating Dialysis since Day 1 and everyday since then!!!!  :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »