I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 05:23:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Working while on Dialysis
| | |-+  Using the "Kidney Disease Card"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Using the "Kidney Disease Card"  (Read 32707 times)
MomoMcSleepy

My son Roddy McSleepy at 6 months! sry pic sidewz

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 12:23:09 PM »

I laughed out loud at "S&R". And I'm at work.  It sounded like something that my brother would come up with.. I've been avoiding a sick coworker al, day.  She's been nice about staying away from me, but has to hand me paperwork sometimes...after which I thoroughly wipe everything down.  I have a sore throat, and I am getting my fistula Friday!  But everyone's sick right now, not her fault....

35 years old, first dx w/  chronic renal insufficiency at  28, pre-dialysis

born with persistent cloaca--have you heard of it?  Probably not, that's ok.

lots of surgeries, solitary left kidney (congenital)

chronic uti's/pyelonephritis

AV fistula May 2012
Kidney Transplant from my husband Jan. 16, 2013
Howard the Duck
MomoMcSleepy

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2012, 10:46:16 AM »

I've used it to get out of something that runs late, but I genuinely get a nasty kidney inflection if I stay up late--even if I get enough sleep (8 hours or whatever) I wake up with a sore kidney.  Actually, I often go to BED with a sore kidney on a late night, it's already started.  I also am vocal about sick people staying away from me.  I understand why they came to work, but make sure they're cognizant of their germs and keep it to themselves as much as possible.  I would have felt like a jerk before, but I just say, "I'm just trying stay as healthy as possible, no offense, hope you feel better!"  I first did that when my dad was dying/sick/on chemo.  I really mean it, though, I don't need another infection of any sort! And I  stay sick FOREVER!

AV fistula May 2012
Howard the Duck
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2012, 06:40:51 PM »

I kinda used the card to get out of potential jury duty, but I was having so many doctor appointments that I can't fit jury duty in unless it was for only one week guaranteed.  would like to do jury duty though.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2012, 11:58:09 PM »

I used the card just recently to get out of jury duty. Well, the card plus my age. Finally I am getting a break here, LOL

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2012, 12:03:10 AM »

I used it to get out of Jury Duty, too.  Frankly, though, I had just been put on the tx waitlist, and I could just see myself getting "the call" right when the prosecution set out its case or something!  So when I got the form, I wrote back to the clerk that I was on the list and did she want to donate?  LOL!  I was informed the very next day that I would probably never have to do jury duty.  Funnily, I wouldn't have minded it.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
MomoMcSleepy

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2012, 08:37:48 AM »

I contouring jury duty, too, though I was not trying to. I said that I needed to sprinklers of water and pee every two hours or so, and that I and my A/V fistula surgery two days after my jury duty assignment.  The lady said, "oh, you're going to start dialysis?  Forget it, then.  I'll send you and excused note in the mail.  My mama was in dialysis for 11 years, I lost her a while back." Well, I felt so sad for her, but she was super nice!

And, this woman was nice and pleasant before she even knew about my kidney, God Bless her!

So I didn't mean to, have served before even though it was super inconvenient and I probably could have gotten out of it on a hardship/medical, but there you are...of course my surgery got canceled, but I was really sick, so it worked out, anyway.

AV fistula May 2012
Howard the Duck
WishIKnew

Alports, dialysis '07-'12,cancer'11,transplant '12

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2012, 09:31:21 AM »

Just found this thread.  Love it.  Now I don't feel so guilty.  I use it to sleep, as another said here.  My husband and son would get irritated with me if I went to bed too early, but once I started dialysis and even to this day if I'm tired I go to bed and hear no complaints from the "boys".

The biggest time I've ever played the kidney/transplant card was right after my transplant.  My 8th grade son had just started second semester and a new health class while I was in the hospital for my transplant.  When we got his interim grade in health it was a D.   :banghead;  What the heck!  My A,B student was getting a D, and in health no less.  I went to conferences and discovered that the reason for the D was a packet  of "very important" papers which my husband or I were to have signed each page of and returned the first week of the class.  For this my son would have received 50 points per page.  Now, between you and me, my son could have brought these papers home and my husband could have signed them.  My son is usually very good about that kind of thing.  (Here comes the card!) That being said, I told her all about my hospital stay and the transplant and the crazy schedules everyone was keeping to spend time with me (my transplant center is an hour from home) and my husband being in a wheel chair because he had just had ankle surgery and how much my son was taking care of everything around the house and how I'm the one who usually checks with my son about his school stuff and...  By the time I was done talking she changed  my son's grade, giving him full credit for the papers we never signed.   :cheer:  LOL  He finished the quarter with an A in health.  I felt a little guilty.  But then it was a kidney transplant and nothing I told her was untrue...

Got your card?

:flower; :flower; :flower;

EDITED: Fixed quote tag error- kitkatz, Moderator
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 10:24:30 PM by kitkatz » Logged
WishIKnew

Alports, dialysis '07-'12,cancer'11,transplant '12

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2012, 09:35:25 AM »

By the way, I never asked the teacher to change the grade, I just wanted the opportunity to sign the all important papers for maybe half credit....
Maybe I poured it on a little heavy...
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2012, 10:55:10 PM »

Well done!

Galvo
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2012, 09:09:36 AM »

Now that Mum has Parkinson's Disease, too, I get to use 'the card' far more often, and believe me, I take FULL advantage of it!...

'Sorry, Can't help out at the kid's Breakfast Club at 8am, I've to do Mum's dialysis'

'Sorry, I can't collect your kid from school at 2pm because you want to get your hair done, I've to do Mum's dialysis'

'Sorry, I can't come to your party (where are lots of smokers, and god knows how many bugs floating around after they've coughed up half a lung) at 8pm, I've to do ...... ' Well, you get the picture!....

As someone said, we've got all the disadvantages of Kidney Disease, so let's make full use of the advantakes!...

Love to all...

Darth...

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
deniferfer

My nickname is princess

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2012, 11:00:26 AM »

I try not to use it but there are times I need to

like others have said I got out of jury duty, if i don't want to eat something nasty someone made without hurting their felling, I just say sorry that's on the no, no list, or I don't want to get up early or I even told my sister once when she was late to college use it, that i couldn't get off in time to take her. (OK that one mite have been wrong to do)

I look at it like a job... you have to deal with all the c**p to get the benefits. So why not use them once in awhile? Lol

1981-1995: Perfectly fine
1996: November, started feeling sick
1997: April, creatine at 17 and began dialysis    
1997: May Place on PD
2006: Had to replace PD tube
Hazmat35

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2012, 12:24:29 PM »

My doctor gave me paperwork all filled out to get a Handicap placard for my car.  I hate to admit it, but I have used it.  I do feel guilty sometimes. 

Also my doctor got me out of Jury Duty.  He had no hesiatation what so ever writting a letter to the Court in my behalf. 

Most people at work, treat me "gingerly" like I am a porcelain doll or something, so does my family and my g/f.  I am going on 50 y/o, 5'10" and strong as a bull most days.  But they act as if I do something that takes some physical strength or ability that I need to TAKE IT EASY, get the younger guys to do that stuff . . . etc.  It drives me crazy.  Just because I have CKD doesn't mean I'm dead (yet anywany). 

Yes, I go to dialysis, i take all my meds, and watch my fluids, all that stuff, so PLEASE, let me lead my life like a normal person.  When I need your help, I'll ask for it! 

But, I did take the Jury Duty letter and used it!  LOL!!!!!

Brother Passed away - 1990 - Liver Disease
Diagnosed w/ Polycystic Kidney Disease - 1998
Mother passed away - Feb. 1999 - PKD
Sister passed away - Feb. 2006 - PKD
AV Fistula / Upper Left Arm - September 2009
Father passed away - September 2009
In-Center Hemo Dialysis - April 2010
Broken Knee Cap - January 2015
Diagnosed w/ A-Fib October 2017
Surgery to repair Hiatal Hernia 2018
Multiple Fistula Grams / Angioplasty's since then!

Hating Dialysis since Day 1 and everyday since then!!!!  :)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2012, 11:09:03 PM »

I use the executive parking ( handicap) sticker I have regularly now. Besides hubby has one, too. 

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2012, 08:44:36 PM »

I use it for only one thing - getting on the flight at pre boarding time and gate checking my cycler.  Between not want to get my cath jammed up against a seat in the boarding rush, and the necessity to be one of the "winners" in "overhead space roulette" (since I have my other medical supplies in carry on), this reduces a lot of stress - and no gate agent has ever accepted my offer to show them my catheter.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2012, 11:03:32 PM »

I use the executive parking ( handicap) sticker I have regularly now. Besides hubby has one, too.

Never thought of it that way, I have executive parking! :rofl;
On many days it comes in handy and some (not recent) I have not needed it. I do miss it when I do not have the card in the right vehicle and it's a day I need it due to pain or light headedness/ low energy.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Grumpy-1

Make me the person my dog thinks I am

« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2012, 06:11:02 AM »

I use the handicap placard only when my legs hurt enough to make it hard to walk any great distances.  Normally, I can get around quite well.    Grumpy

Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2012, 07:21:50 AM »

My doctor wont give me a handicap parking sticker or allow me to have one. Nor will he sign off on my student loans so the intrest rate keeps raking up to the point of never being able to pay them.

Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
Grumpy-1

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2012, 07:41:16 AM »

Lisa   WHY ??????

Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2012, 11:17:18 AM »

Lisa   WHY ???????

They told me I can walk and dont need a handicap parking sticker. Well now that im in Tennessee, things might go different. Lets see. Im a little nervous in asking a second doc to forgive my student loans. First of all, to everyone I look healthy, im sure including my doctor. I havent had a complications that would require to me take extra time off if I had a job. Buut when I started dialysis I wasnt working, so now I dont know how to adjust to that, Im technically a single parent with a little kid to take care of. When I was in Michigan I also had the added responsibility of being my moms taxi driver. I just feel as though I have too much on my plate to work, take care of a wild daughter ( i mean she physcially wears me out), do daily dialysis, take care of the household chores alone, and taket he time cooking food from scratch.
 If I didnt have my daughter, or she was grown up, I could probably work atleast part time. I just dont see that happening now since I spend most days when she is in school sleeping, because im very tired. I also have a hard time sleeping at night. So when she is in school I catch up on my lost sleep.
 So yeah that is why I dont work and why he wouldnt sign off to have my loans forgiven.

Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

daughter born 11/2005
10/2007 started PD
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2012, 06:10:20 AM »

So yeah that is why I dont work and why he wouldn't sign off to have my loans forgiven.
The reasons are tough, but a large percentage of the reasons are those that the govt will not accept as a factor in determination of disability for student loan purposes.   Don't assume that loan forgiveness would necessarily be forthcoming, even if your doc signed the papers.  One of the standards for forgiveness is no possibility of becoming un-disabled, and that one could he hard to prove.
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2012, 07:03:15 PM »

So yeah that is why I dont work and why he wouldn't sign off to have my loans forgiven.
The reasons are tough, but a large percentage of the reasons are those that the govt will not accept as a factor in determination of disability for student loan purposes.   Don't assume that loan forgiveness would necessarily be forthcoming, even if your doc signed the papers.  One of the standards for forgiveness is no possibility of becoming un-disabled, and that one could he hard to prove.

But now its to the point that Im never going to be able to pay them even if I become able to work a full time job. When I first got out of school the loan amount was $200 a month approx. Year after year of being on dialysis it is now with the intrest rate, the payments are $500, even with a good paying job I am not going to be able to pay $500 just for a student loan!! THey wont get rid of the intrest rate for me to be able to afford it when and if I can work.
 Now if I werent on dialysis and could work right after college, my payment would of been $200, but with going 4 years on economic hardship, the intrest rate keeps adding up and up.

daughter born 11/2005
10/2007 started PD
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2012, 08:29:14 PM »

I was not meaning to imply that you could pay what they are demanding, just pointing out that the disability standard is so high that your doc may know that you won't qualifym, and that (s)he may be the messenger, not someone actually in a position to get you forgiveness.   The sad fact of the matter is that ability to pay is not even considered when determining if a student loan can be forgiven.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 08:30:32 PM by Simon Dog » Logged
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2012, 09:11:04 PM »

Doesnt make any sense to me. If I cant get a transplant and will never get off of dialysis and will not get any better, how will not not qualify me? I mean how much  more bad off can I be??? I mean if I havent worked now, and I cant work, and chances are I wont get a kidney transplant (too many antibodies and no support system). I dont get how much worse off can I get then needing daily dialysis. If I could get a transplant, then I can see. THe odds are really against me though.

Lisa

daughter born 11/2005
10/2007 started PD
MomoMcSleepy

« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2012, 12:36:38 PM »

But now its to the point that Im never going to be able to pay them even if I become able to work a full time job. When I first got out of school the loan amount was $200 a month approx. Year after year of being on dialysis it is now with the intrest rate, the payments are $500, even with a good paying job I am not going to be able to pay $500 just for a student loan!! THey wont get rid of the intrest rate for me to be able to afford it when and if I can work.
 Now if I werent on dialysis and could work right after college, my payment would of been $200, but with going 4 years on economic hardship, the intrest rate keeps adding up and up.

can't you get a forbearance?  Something that freezes it so the interest doesn't accrue?  Or, is there ANY way that maybe you could make the interest payments?  I dropped down to interest-only payments recently, and am paying $72 a month.  My husband is doing the same as you, not paying anything, and it drives me nuts.  It's going to be my problem in a few years, once the other debts are paid off.

AV fistula May 2012
Howard the Duck
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2012, 12:49:24 PM »

I am making the $50 a month intrest only payment on the Sallie Mae private loan. They have told me there is nothing that i can do to freeze the intrest rate, even if its only a few years they wont freeze the intrest rate without me being in school.

Lisa

daughter born 11/2005
10/2007 started PD
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »