I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 12:24:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  High Phosphorus
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: High Phosphorus  (Read 28818 times)
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2006, 02:00:22 PM »

It is best to take your binders in the middle of the meal.  If the meal that i am eating is high in phosphorus i will take 3 in the middle and 2 at the end, but if it isnt, i take them all in the middle of the meal  :P :twocents;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2006, 09:40:48 AM »

Thanks, I have always wondered if I have been taking them right or not, maybe that is why i cant get my phosphorus down.. dunno. We shall see!

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2006, 04:49:05 PM »

I have always had the same question.  I asked three different people and got three different answers.  So I went with the nephrologist answer to just take the damned things when I remember to take them at meals. I find afterwards helps to stop the throwing up I had and nauseousness.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
AlasdairUK

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2006, 03:17:57 AM »

Quick question related to phosphorus.... how are we supposed to be taking our binders? Right before we take our first bite? One at the beginning, middle and end? All at the end? How?

It may depend on your binders, but I take mine a few minutes before I eat. I use Calcichew.

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2006, 05:28:29 AM »

I take Renegel.... big big pills ughhh, lol... 5 of them with each meal, geez its like a meal in itself!  ::)

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2007, 08:44:55 PM »

Okay, my phosphorous is suddenly up.  I haven't changed my eating habits since my last good phosphorous test, so I'm trying to figure this out.  I was wondering some specifics about the test.  When they take your blood and do a lab test, does that show the what the phosphorous levels in your blood are at the exact moment you had the blood drawn, like doing a before meal glucose test, or does it show a longer range of time, like the HBA1C that shows my blood sugar averages for the last 2 months?  When epo and goofy talk about fasting to get better numbers the day before their blood work, does that really work?  Are my phos levels up because I had a yougurt the night before, or are they up because of what I've been eating for the last few weeks?

And in my searching, I also found this on the Medline Medical Encyclopedia. . . .

"Nonpharmacological factors that can affect PO4 measurements include: enemas containing sodium phosphate, excess vitamin D supplements, and intravenous glucose administration (because PO4 enters cells along with glucose)."

Okay, if I'm reading that right, high levels of glucose in your blood can affect your PO4 levels.  I've been having problems with my blood glucose (I'm diabetic) in the last month.  I've been fighting it daily, because stress makes it go up, and the first month on dialysis was certainly high stress for me.  So is it possible my phos levels went up because my blood sugar did?

So my sugar went up because I'm stressed, so my phos went up because my sugar went, and now I'm stressed about my phos levels because when they went up, my PTH went up.

Auuuuuuugh!!!!!   :banghead;

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2007, 09:25:35 PM »

When they take your blood and do a lab test, does that show the what the phosphorous levels in your blood are at the exact moment you had the blood drawn ...

In most part it's a reflection of how much you ate since your last dialysis treatment.  But it is also a build up over a period of time.  Fasting is a bad idea, because it gives a false reading of what should be your normal meal consumption (as well as PO4 consumption).

Perhaps try to increase you binders, as well as try to avoid high phosphorus foods like yogurt when you have a higher glucose level.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 09:36:10 PM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2007, 02:41:38 AM »

My last blood results showed two things of concern - phosphorus and cholesterol - both things dependant on my 'compliance'.   Well, I have a real problem with that.  After 16 months on dialysis, I have still not got accustomed to remembering to take my binders. And as for the Lipitor, some nights I forget, like last night (but that is getting better).
I don't know what to do with myself to make me remember these things.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2007, 02:54:13 AM »

You just need to get it into your head that before you eat anything you pop a binder.  If your are set down to a big meal you pop 2 or 3. 

Do you want to end up in a wheel chair?

:cuddle;

Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2007, 06:36:18 AM »

After 16 months on dialysis, I have still not got accustomed to remembering to take my binders ... I don't know what to do with myself to make me remember these things.

Try keeping them out on the kitchen table or where ever you eat.  Maybe each morning leave out 6 or 9 binder tablets, so you can see them.  Put some in a baggie in your car, in all your coats, and in your purse.

I keep them on my desk at work, on a little glass plate and in all my jackets.

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2007, 08:59:29 AM »

My last blood results showed two things of concern - phosphorus and cholesterol - both things dependant on my 'compliance'.   Well, I have a real problem with that.  After 16 months on dialysis, I have still not got accustomed to remembering to take my binders. And as for the Lipitor, some nights I forget, like last night (but that is getting better).

What got me to remember was my labs never being normal, always being high, causing sores on my body, painful sores...that right there made me remember, if i eat something, I need to take my binders.

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2007, 07:20:20 PM »

I had a devil of a time remembering to take my pills every day, so I put them in those daily pill reminder containers and that helps me to remember to take them every morning.  I forget binders too, so I agree with putting them everywhere to remind you to take them.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2007, 09:24:58 PM »

What got me to remember was my labs never being normal, always being high, causing sores on my body, painful sores...that right there made me remember, if i eat something, I need to take my binders.

So Angela,   now that you've gotten your transplant, have those sores started going away like they said they would?

www.kidneyoogle.com
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2007, 08:43:22 AM »

I had a devil of a time remembering to take my pills every day, so I put them in those daily pill reminder containers and that helps me to remember to take them every morning.  I forget binders too, so I agree with putting them everywhere to remind you to take them.

I carry a extra little prescription bottle in my coat with binders.  I also keep one in the car just in case I forget my coat.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2007, 07:21:25 PM »

I saw this today:

By reading nutrition labels of beverages, processed and packaged foods, you can identify and avoid these ingredients:

Phosphoric Acid
Sodium Polyphosphate
Monocalcium Phosphate
Dicalcium pyrophosphate

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2007, 09:38:56 PM »

I saw this today:

By reading nutrition labels of beverages, processed and packaged foods, you can identify and avoid these ingredients:

Phosphoric Acid
Sodium Polyphosphate
Monocalcium Phosphate
Dicalcium pyrophosphate

http://angieskidney.com/AK/Info.html#phosphate

We are told what foods are high in phosphate but what about the ingredients in foods we dont understand?
List B- Additives with suspect ingredients - USA and Canada

• Acetylated distarch phosphate
  • Acid calcium phosphate
  • Acid sodium pyrophosphate
  • Ammonium phosphate dibasic
  • Ammonium phosphate monobasic
  • Ammonium phosphatides
  • Ammonium polyphosphates
  • Ammonium salts of phosphatic acid
  • Bone phosphate, edible
  • Calcium hydrogen orthophosphate
  • Calcium phosphate dibasic
  • Calcium phosphate monobasic
  • Calcium phosphate tribasic
  • Calcium polyphosphates
  • Dicalcium diphosphate
  • Dicalcium pyrophosphate
  • Disodium dihydrogen diphosphate
  • Disodium dihydrogen pyrophosphate
  • Disodium hydrogen orthophosphate
  • Distarch phosphate
  • Edible bone phosphate
  • Guanosine 5' - (disodium phosphate)
  • Hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate
  • Inosine 5' - (disodium phosphate)
  • Magnesium hydrogen dibasic
  • Magnesium hydrogen phosphate
  • Magnesium hydrogen tribasic
  • Monocalcium orthophosphate
  • Monocalcium Phosphate
  • Monostarch phosphate
  • Orthophosphoric acid
  • Phosphated distarch phosphate
  • Phosphoric Acid
  • Polyphosphates, ammonium
  • Polyphosphates, calcium
  • Polyphosphates, potassium and sodium
  • Potassium dihydrogen orthophosphate
  • Potassium phosphate dibasic
  • Potassium phosphate monobasic
  • Potassium phosphate tribasic
  • Potassium polyphosphates
  • Potassium tripolyphosphate
  • Riboflavin-5'-phosphate sodium
  • Sodium acid pyrophosphate
  • Sodium aluminium phosphate, acidic
  • Sodium aluminium phosphate, basic
  • Sodium dihydrogen orthophosphate
  • Sodium phosphate dibasic
  • Sodium phosphate monobasic
  • Sodium phosphate tribasic
  • Sodium polyphosphates
  • Sodium pyrophosphate
  • Sodium tripolyphosphate
  • Tetrapotassium diphosphate
  • Tripotassium orthophosphate
  • Tetrasodium diphosphate
  • Trisodium diphosphate
  • Trisodium orthophosphate

Also be wary of Milk Protein such as: Casein, Calcium Casinate, Sodium Casinate.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 09:41:37 PM by angieskidney » Logged

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
sandman

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2007, 09:42:25 PM »

You need to AVOID all of those?  So what can you eat?  Anything?
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2007, 09:43:28 PM »

That is what binders are for :P

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2007, 09:46:09 PM »

There are lots of foods we can eat!

But that's why it's better to prepare your own meals sometime and not buy processed foods all the time--you have control of what's in it.  Whatever happened to the idea of "home made?"  Cook 4 or 5 chicken breasts, put 2 in the refrigerator, and freeze the rest for another day.  Do that with other meals as well.  That way you always have something on hand to eat.  Now that's home-cooked fast food!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 04:12:12 AM by Zach » Logged

I make films.

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2007, 10:05:27 PM »

If I eat again, shoot me!

lifenotonthelist.com

renal30yrs

« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2007, 10:54:09 PM »

As far as my experiences go good frequent bowel movement with renagel helps to lower your phospherous considerably.  My latest phosphorus count was 3.1.
mmmmdeedee

« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2007, 06:30:43 PM »

Hi Angie:

You mentioned a rash you had. I have an itchy rash on my neck, chest, and it's now starting on my face and arms. I also have a high pth (800). Did they ever say if the rash was from your phosphorous? Did they give you anything for it? My doctor gave me Fluoconide (sp?) but it doesn't seem to be working. It's a petroleum based product so I hate putting it on my face and I'm supposed to do it four times a day! But it's really gross looking (looks like I have leprosy or something) and itches like crazy. Please tell me if they did anything for you!

Thank you

1st on dialysis: 1986
1st transplant: 1990
1st failure: 05/06
CCPD
2nd transplant 07/24/07
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2007, 07:08:15 AM »

Hi Angie:

You mentioned a rash you had. I have an itchy rash on my neck, chest, and it's now starting on my face and arms. I also have a high pth (800). Did they ever say if the rash was from your phosphorous? Did they give you anything for it? My doctor gave me Fluoconide (sp?) but it doesn't seem to be working. It's a petroleum based product so I hate putting it on my face and I'm supposed to do it four times a day! But it's really gross looking (looks like I have leprosy or something) and itches like crazy. Please tell me if they did anything for you!

Thank you

See about having them put you on Sensipar.  That will lower the pth pretty fast.  Also since the drug is fairly new doctors should be able to give samples of the drug until your ideal pth level is reached.  The sensipar will help lower both calcium and the PO4 levels some.

On another note, Glad to see you back on the boards. ;D

Duane

I'm glad to be here.

« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2007, 05:43:32 PM »

Good referral websites. :thx;

My phosphorus: 6.1 way to high but down from 6.4 praying for a better reading on my May labs. :banghead;

1 Corinthians 9:24  In a race, everyone runs but only one person gets first prize. So run your race to win.
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2007, 05:46:10 PM »

Good referral websites. :thx;

My phosphorus: 6.1 way to high but down from 6.4 praying for a better reading on my May labs. :banghead;

OK Duane, we want to see that Phosphorus come down a little lower next time *or else*  :popcorn;  ;)

www.kidneyoogle.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »