I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 01:04:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Lola needs HELP!!!!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lola needs HELP!!!!!!  (Read 14877 times)
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« on: December 22, 2009, 06:23:29 AM »

Otto is on the verge of telling Davita to take there machine and put it where the sun don't shine. I am a basket case, I need to know if anyone does home-hemo 4 or 3 days. Otto has been doing 4 days (on his own) for months and his labs look good and the test they do to see if you are getting good Dialysis looks perfect. Yesturday the nurse called and laid into him about skipping and blah, blah, blah, well Otto as many of you remember is only doing this for the kids and I as he is fine with going to heaven but realizes we still need him here. They pissed him off so bad he ended up not doing it yesterday and now is talking about just stopping. They also said the Dr is the only one who can change to 4 days, I'm going with him to his appt tomorrow to be his voice  as Otto NEEDS a break, I don't see why they can't just let him do 4 days if his labs look good and he feels good. It is very easy for them to tell him what he HAS to do when they have no clue what it is like to stay alive because of a machine. I am also going to voice my concern over the lack of care I feel Otto receives by the staff, they call EVERY week about his flow sheets and not receiving them when I watch him send them after EVERY session, it's not his fault they can't seem to keep track of them, and then he is accused of skipping a whole week and that is something he has NEVER done. I also have concerns over the fact that his BP can be 190/130 and they never call to see if that is an error or maybe he needs to have his meds changed. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR HELP!!!!!!!

willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 07:24:26 AM »

:grouphug;

I hope with you there to be a voice for Otto, the visit will go better. Frustration can really take its toll. I think you should tell them exactly what you posted here. Especially that their attitude is pushing Otto to simply cash it in. That would be a terrible thing for them to have to deal with (not to mention what it would do to you!)

Copy all of the information to his neph, too. Try to get him (or her) involved.

My thoughts are with you.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
fc2821
Elite Member

Just another hamster on the dialysis W.O.F.

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 10:10:27 AM »

:pray; that all goes well, for you two, at the meeting. Don't let them get you too upset to upset to fully explain your case.

I hope with you there to be a voice for Otto, the visit will go better. Frustration can really take its toll. I think you should tell them exactly what you posted here. Especially that their attitude is pushing Otto to simply cash it in. That would be a terrible thing for them to have to deal with (not to mention what it would do to you!)

Copy all of the information to his neph, too. Try to get him (or her) involved.

My thoughts are with you.

Aleta

Excellent advise advise! I can't improve on it.

In center hemo dialysis since Feb 14, 2007. 

If I could type properly, I'd be dangerous!

You may be only one person in the universe but you may mean the the universe to someone else.
dyann

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 01:36:13 PM »

I take home hemo 6 days a week, and please excuse what i have to say, but because Otto is feeling better and labs look good is because the hemo is doing what it is supposed to do.  I understand if you are ready to go that is your decision but if you are not then you should follow your Doctors advice.  I know it is hard and a pain trust me. I am a single Mom raising 2 daughters who are still young and I work full time I am tired all the time and I have had numerous infections in my perma cath while waiting for the fistula to mature, but I need to be around for my children this is my decision,  if you do not want to anymore than maybe you should sit down and talk openly with your children and let them know that this is what you want and that you are right with it.  anyway just my thoughts
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 02:14:44 PM »

Lola, we're all behind you, lending a supporting hand to swing that big stick!

:Kit n Stik;

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 03:04:25 PM »

Lola, you have fought so many battles to help Otto.   Print out what you posted here and take it with you.  Write out anything and then, if you have to, hand the paper to the doctor.    I love my neph, but his office staff needs help. So many things have been faxed to them and they say they never got them.  It just gets hard to keep fighting some of the same fights over and over again.   You are doing an excellent job at being a mom, homemaker, employee, wife and kidney advocate for your husband and daughter.  I admire, respect, and love you   :cuddle;     I am with jbeany - we will  swing the big stick whenever you tell us to!!

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 04:44:38 PM »

Sorry to hear lola, sounds like that doc/center knows petey's/marvin's doc  :urcrazy;

I agree with paris and print what you have wrote and use it as a reminder what you need to talk to the doctor about. Don't lt him leave the roo till your finished just because he has another appointment to see. Raise all your concerns and provide names if possible from the people at the center who call.

Good Luck on Wednesday.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 08:03:30 AM »

:bandance; :bandance; We are home from our appt and it went VERY well. I was very honest about how upset I am with Otto's care, his BP was 201/109 and after going over flow sheets and seeing this has been gong on for awhile the Dr made some changes. The B@#$% nurse was not in but another nurse did say she had seen a flow sheet with a high BP and said something to the B@#$% and was told she would let the DR know and never did. They were very sorry for the lack of care and the way she calls ALL the time about missing flow sheets and her scolding Otto about skipping. Otto is now on 4 days a week for a month (he has been already doing this) and if things keep going well he can keep it up. I made it very clear that she can not continue to treat Otto like this as he is ready to say go to hell. I'm so glad I went to stick up for him as I could see Otto had a weight lifted off his shoulders. xoxoxox

willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 08:07:23 AM »

Oh, Lola!

I am so glad!  :cheer: :cheer:

Sometimes folks just need a caring advocate who will SPEAK UP!

Let's hope the B@st@rd nurse keeps out of the way and lets Otto and yoou manage his care the way it needs to be!

Right now, doing the happy dance for you.  :bandance; :bandance;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Epofriend

This is what happens in Vegas!

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 08:34:13 AM »

This link is for lola and LOLA ONLY if your not lola stir away from this link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgnHEyeMECc

:bow; Rico

:shy;

thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 08:50:41 AM »

i'm glad everything went well. what i do when i run into pushy, know it all medical personnel like that nurse...... besides reporting them to their superiors is......look right at them and very calmly say "this is my life, you do it my way or you don't do it at all" we have one tech at my center that they won't let go near me because of something he said and did. i'm amazed that he's still working, however as long as he isn't allowed to try and kill me with his inability to function properly i realize i don't have much to say about it. keep up the good work, it's good otto has you to go to bat for him.

hope your family has a wonderful holiday.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 09:21:53 AM »

Well done, Lola!  :clap;

I hope this makes dialysis much less of a burden for Otto. Good luck to him.  :bestwishes;

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 12:38:58 PM »

This link is for lola and LOLA ONLY if your not lola stir away from this link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgnHEyeMECc

:bow; Rico

:shy;

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* xoxoxoxoxo you just made my day, luv you Rico

petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 03:10:13 PM »

Sorry I didn't see this thread before now, Lola.  My advice would have been exactly what Aleta said -- and apparently exactly what you did.  Glad the appointment went so well.  And, Grammalady does what I do -- look them in the eye and say, "No, it's not your life.  Marvin and I are intelligent, educated, and experienced (years and years of ESRD and dialysis).  We've thought this out, and we KNOW what's best for him and his body.  WE ARE GOING TO DO THIS OUR WAY -- you can agree or you can get the hell out of our way."  For this, I've been called an aggressive, overbearing, obnoxious, know-it-all bitch.  But, guess what?  I'm an aggressive, overbearing, obnoxious, know-it-all bitch with a happy, somewhat healthy (all things considered), content (all things considered), well-adjusted, living husband who lives his life on his own terms!

You go, girl!  Otto is your #1 concern.  Fight for his rights to do this his way and in the way you and he KNOW is best for him!  Paris said it is hard to fight the same fights over and over again ...  well, the more you fight the same fights, the better you get at fighting them!  Pretty soon, the doctors, nurses, etc. will realize that you're not backing down and you do mean business.  Fight on, Lola, fight on!!!!
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 04:17:46 PM »

Glad you made some progress. If she keps it up, have her stop taking care of ottos chart and a do not call from her. If she can't take care of otto, she's not doing her job. Blood Pressure is nothing to take light of.

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2009, 06:13:46 PM »

Otto is lucky to have you and you can tell him I said that.  You did the right thing.  Now you need to follow up on their word.  Next time she gives you crap you call the doctor. 

8)

Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2009, 02:27:01 AM »

Do you fax the stuff that you send to them?  If you do, I think there is usually a little thing you can activate that makes it put a dot on your original or print out a receipt to prove you sent it.  Just a though.  Hope things continue to be good with the results.

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2009, 05:12:17 AM »

Rerun I don't think there will be ANY more problems (hehehehe >:D) and Otto e-mails his flow sheets, the other nurse told the Dr she HAS seen them the B@#$% just misplaces them. Davita loves us as we are private ins so they can tell our ins company to bend over while they screw them, for Christmas they gave Otto a new bag and it is still sitting on the counter at the clinic ;D. I have decided this last year with everything Otto has been put through due to lack of care that Dr Lola needs to step up and tell people how to do there jobs, and not care if it hurts there feelings.

fc2821
Elite Member

Just another hamster on the dialysis W.O.F.

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2009, 10:27:27 AM »

:2thumbsup; :yahoo;Glad it turned the way it did for. You keep  :boxing; for Otto like that. He is one lucky fellow to have you.  :bestwishes;

Rob

In center hemo dialysis since Feb 14, 2007. 

If I could type properly, I'd be dangerous!

You may be only one person in the universe but you may mean the the universe to someone else.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2009, 01:38:51 PM »

Doctor, nurses, people that piss her off -  :Kit n Stik; - Lola  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

Got getem lola! :2thumbsup;

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2009, 06:28:06 PM »

I have met Lola in person and Folks lets just say Otto is in good hands, and if anyone gets in the way Lola we will send bail money for you... :rofl;
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2009, 08:38:18 PM »

Maybe we should start a "bail" fund and I'll just start going to everyone's Dr's appt and kicken some A@$ :rofl; :rofl;

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2009, 09:40:06 PM »

And it WOULD be worth it at the end of the day!  :2thumbsup; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

dyann

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2010, 10:17:15 AM »

glad it worked out
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2010, 09:23:13 AM »

:bandance; :bandance; :bandance; Otto gets to stay on 4 days, labs look GREAT!!! Funny thing is his B/P was 200/110 yet all his flow sheets show since starting another B/P med last month it's been great, they asked if he felt OK and he nope YOU GUYS STRESS me out!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe I'm finally starting to rub off on him. FYI cheesy puffs are VERY bad for you :oops; so Otto is going back to chippies

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »