I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:07:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Fever after dialysiis?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fever after dialysiis?  (Read 9260 times)
Melissa

« on: October 01, 2009, 07:27:19 PM »

Hi!
For a few months now I have been running low grade fevers (99F) towards the end of dialysis and for a few hours after.  The next day I am fine.

My Dr. thought this was from my infected kidney which was removed three weeks ago but
I am STILL having the fevers, and they can find no source of infection, etc. and any other reason for the fevers.
My Dr. thinks it could just be a normal reaction to the dialysis machine and chemicals, etc.

Does this happen to anyone else?  Is it really normal or is there any treatment?

Thanks!
effinxmandy

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 09:33:03 PM »

Anytime a patient ran a fever after dialysis or developed one during, we HAD to draw blood cultures.

9 times out of 10 the patient was septic.

Did they draw these on you? Did they draw any labs at all?

If you feel fine the next day, this has me feeling rather curious...

"I feel like Dorothy, and everything just went into color."
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 05:54:16 AM »

Hi, Melissa.

There isn't really any "normal." Every patient is different, so what is considered normal for one may not be normal for another. My husband's temp always runs low. That is normal for him. If he gets up to 99 he is having a major fever. But 99 may be a normal temp for you coming off dialysis.

It sounds like they have tested for sepsis.And you are "fine" the next day. You may just need to get used to your own normal and look for conditions that, for you, are not normal.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 06:00:04 AM »

Do you have tons of blankets on during dialysis?  I do and at the end I'm usually 99.2.  But I sleep better warm.

willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 07:31:14 AM »

:waving; Melissa. When my hubby was on dialysis, every single treatment toward the end and hours after he would run a fever about 100. They always checked him for infections and never could determine the cause, just his body's way of reacting to dialysis. Keep us posted.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
*kana*

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 06:12:10 PM »

The same thing happened to me right after dialysis and post surgery.  They were always drawing cultures on me that were thankfully negative.  I read somewhere that your body does this after surgery because of the trauma that it has sustained.  My fever came and went for about 3-4 weeks and then when I had my PD surgery  it was back for a little bit.  How many people take their temp after having a hysterectomy or other major surgery?  I think we are just more acutely aware because they are always taking our temps. 

PD started 09/08
PKD kidneys removed 06/17/09

Failed donor transplant-donor kidney removed,
suspected cancer so not used 06/17/09

Hemo 06/2009-08/2009

Liberty Cycler-11/09-5/13
Nx Stage-current tx
Diagnosed with SEP 2014
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »