I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:28:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Eyes ! (and questions)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eyes ! (and questions)  (Read 2211 times)
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« on: September 29, 2009, 12:28:45 PM »

Well that didnt last long did it ! Back in the main room again today , huh ! I managed to save myself from a migraine by insisting they put out the lights above me and by sitting looking downwards for 4 hours ..you want to try it ! not funny! I had my sunglasses on but they dont cut out the glare enough, i managed to escape with just a banging headache and im soooooooo peed off !
Anyway i wanted to ask a couple of questions about eyes as well.
Do you find that hemo has affected your eyes in any way ? I ask because ive come home and things i normally see ok are a bit blurry tonight .

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 01:39:47 PM »

Dad used to say that sometimes everything went blurry, usually when he had  had too much fluid removed and his blood pressure was a bit low, not sure if that helps.

Have you tried wrap around sunglasses?  They may keep out a bit more light than normal ones - something like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wear-over-glasses-Wrap-Around-Sunglasses-smoke_W0QQitemZ350230362225QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMen_s_Accessories_UK?hash=item518b5b3871&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_3594wt_754
not very glamorous but maybe worth it to stop the headaches.  It will also draw attention to the fact that light causes headaches and maybe they will put you back in the small room.
Goofy

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 05:59:16 PM »

It has to be very frustrating.  I can't remember if you have already tried this (remember, I was the one who started the post about forgetting!!) but have you talked to your doctor?  I wonder if there is anyway you can get your doctor or even a neurologist to "make" them put you in the room you like?  If the lights keep giving you headaches, you would think that would be a "medical" reason to be put in the other room. 

Obviously I'm not familiar with your health care system so I'm not sure if that would be an option for you.  I used to get really bad migraines and I had to go to my neurologist every 6 months.  I wounder if a neurologist could convince them.  You sounded so good the other day.  I was happy to hear you were in the other room. 
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 08:01:50 PM »

At least they were able to turn the lights above you off - which is what they do in my unit for some folks.

I sit and look down for 5 hour sessions, though usually I am watching my laptop. Luckily I don't get bad headaches, though just lately I have had a few, but I think they are related to other issues (I'm having a bit of a battle with blood pressure).

I agree try the wrap around sunnies, or again an eye mask. I know you don't like those options, but if it's a choice between a pretty clear head or being miserable then I'd go the clearer head option IMHO. Remember they may need the isolation room for someone else and you shouldn't expect to have it all the time - I am sure they would see your need as a lower priority compared to patient who needs isolation for whatever reason (eg: VRE).

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 11:39:12 PM »

Oh Kickstart, your postings alway make me laugh. "Ok so tell me its not funny" Why have you been kicked out of the luxury room? Have you tried eye masks like Richardmel said? Dare you tell the nurses about your eyes, yes you dare. Sock it to them Kickstart. :cheer:
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 03:03:03 AM »

I dont know why i was kicked out of my 'room/broom cupboard'  !!! The guy in there was deffo not ill or infected , as he spent most of his time laughing and joking with the staff , then came out the same time as me and complained because i got the last chicken salad sarnie ..ha!!! (shouldnt have been in there then should he ) My glasses are very dark ,its just a couple of lights that give me the probs that are over the desk which i sit facing and so because they are over the desk they dont put them off. There is no way i could sit there blindfolded for 4 hours (eye mask), gawd knows what they might do to me if i couldnt see them !  :rofl; I will just have to see how it goes i guess .

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Restorer

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 02:32:06 PM »

Are your sunglasses polarized? That might help more. I'm not sure if just any pair of polarized sunglasses will work - it would be best to try it with a custom-made pair with the polarization aligned to the polarization angle of the fluorescent lights - but I'm just hypothesizing here.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 03:12:57 PM »

Restorer , ive actually been to the opticians to see what they said ..and get my eyes checked. Their advice was .. dont sit under the lights !!! Glasses of any sort wont make a difference. !

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »