I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 02:32:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  I miss Dan.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I miss Dan.  (Read 17235 times)
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« on: August 31, 2009, 10:55:31 PM »

I know he bit people's heads off a few too many times, and I'm sorry for those people who were on the ass end (wee pun) of him overreacting to their criticism, but I miss his humour.  Who can I be rude to now???

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 11:09:15 PM »

Just for the record... It's his choice not to participate here. He was not banned. I am sorry he doesn't choose to stay involved.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 11:40:16 PM »

I miss him too. He was just a funny, old fashioned kind of guy. Hope he comes back.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 01:16:38 AM »

I hope they all come back.

:flower;

Hanify
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 01:17:47 AM »

Just for the record... It's his choice not to participate here. He was not banned. I am sorry he doesn't choose to stay involved.

That's right Okarol - I realised after I'd posted I should have mentioned that.  Still.

Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 01:29:00 AM »

He hurt a lot of people by speaking his mind. (even me, that is why I changed my signature)
We are fragile creatures and reading some of his posts taught me to re-read my posts to make sure I don't affend anybody.

Lesson: you must be able to take what you dish out.....

I will try to remember this valuable lesson myself in everyday life.

This post was just what was in my head and it is NOT the beginning of a fight or judging anybody or anything.....
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 02:10:24 AM by Des » Logged

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 03:51:51 AM »

what do you mean you changed your signature?
I email Dan so we still "talk" several times a day -- I miss him too and I miss Flip Bob -- :waving;
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 05:43:11 AM »

I miss him too but it is his own choice not to be here.  On a forum like this you have to respect everybody's opinion.  I figure the world would be pretty boring if we all agreed on things. You can disagree without hurting other people's feelings.  The world would be a lot nicer place to live if we could all do that all of the time!!!  :flower;

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 07:11:49 AM »

Live and learn is a good motto when it comes to a public forum like this.  Could there be any other place, real or virtual, where you could be interacting with so many people from so many different walks of life?

I can't be here as much as I was in the past, but when I am here I sure do miss seeing the posts of those who helped me through difficult times with their humor, wisdom, concern, or even their irreverence -  Flip, Stauff, AnnaBanana, Boxman, Sluff, Cindy, David13, Rose and others.

I GREATLY appreciate my IHD friends.  There is so much to be learned here at IHD about kidney disease and about life. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 07:12:53 AM by pelagia » Logged

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 07:22:54 AM »

I miss Dan.

Communication in the electronic forum is always fraught with the possibility of misinterpretation. I think even more so than many other kinds of communication since it seems that it should be fast and easy.

With approaching it as a quick communication mode, we tend to only "hear" our internal voice and not take the time to listen to how our words may be interpreted. What seems perfectly reasonable and even polite to us may come off as unreasonable and even downright rude to others.

Add to the mix that this is an international forum with folks from many very different cultures and the possibility of offending others is even greater.

I wish we could all take a little more time to think about how we sound AND take less offense from posts of others. After all, communication is a two way street with responsibility for clear communication resting on the sender and receiver.

Just my  :twocents;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 07:33:27 AM »

Well it's Dan's choice and maybe he'll come back when he's calmed down from whatever he's upset about now. Seems like we've lost Lucinda forever but again that's her choice. It's sad, but these things happen in life.

Unfortunately you won't be able to get rid of me so easily!!!  :rofl; >:D

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 09:08:35 AM »

Me either!!!  I have a tough skin!!!

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 04:41:18 PM »

I also miss his humor, Hanify, but I did not relish interacting with him, and that's a huge problem on a support group. I think Des nailed it - you cannot dish for your own amusement, then complain when it is turned back on you. Naturally, we all get fed up and ticked off at times, but taking it out on other people here through passive aggression and sly insults toward other members really puts me off. I cannot be the only one who saw his leaving as inevitable.

It would be wonderful to have him back, minus the vitriolic posts and PMs to others. And to clarify, I never felt personally attacked by him.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
MIbarra
Elite Member

Stopping to smell the bluebonnets

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 05:54:49 PM »

I miss his thoughts too. Especially in the "What's for Supper?" But if it his choice to stay away, maybe that is the "healthiest" choice he can make for himself right now.

And I'm with Richard... You all won't get rid of me that easily either, because I don't feel you should let one opinion or one PM of one person get in your way of your communicating with others. I love talking to people here on IHD and hearing about their similar or not so similar experiences. There's a lot to learn and share here by everyone so I'm staying!

As I overheard one of my 2nd graders say the other day trying to console a crying one.. "You can't be so sensitive.. You're in second grade, dude. Who cares what he said?"

Cadaver transplant April 29, 2007
Mizar

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 06:26:41 PM »

I have to agree with, Cariad.  Anyone, who, comes to this Site, is Hurting, either, Physically or Emotionally, or they are dealing with Someone who is. Being Nice to Others, is not a Character Flaw, it's just being, Nice.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 06:36:26 PM »

Well I feel silly!  I'm here all the time but seem to have missed the fact that he left.  I always feel badly when people leave in this way but sometimes they come back and I hope he does.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 07:41:46 PM »

I enjoyed chatting with Dan in the chat room and although he's never offended me personally, I feel for the ones here who feel they have been disrespected or attacked.  Communicating with strangers on the computer really is difficult because we can't see facial expression, body language, etc.

I hope he pops in every now and then and maybe decide to return.  And if anyone left because of him, I hope they come back too!

:beer1;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 10:30:07 PM »

I can't be here as much as I was in the past, but when I am here I sure do miss seeing the posts of those who helped me through difficult times with their humor, wisdom, concern, or even their irreverence -  Flip, Stauff, AnnaBanana, Boxman, Sluff, Cindy, David13, Rose and others.

I'm still around, just hurting badly from my losses so being a bit quiet, but I still think of you all every day.  I'll be back to form soon.  :grouphug;
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2009, 04:09:52 AM »

There's a Root Beer float in the chat room with your name on it Dan!

:beer1;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2009, 04:34:17 AM »

what do you mean you changed your signature?
I email Dan so we still "talk" several times a day -- I miss him too and I miss Flip Bob -- :waving;

signature is the "stuff" you write at the bottom of each post

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2009, 04:47:33 AM »

I have to agree with, Cariad.  Anyone, who, comes to this Site, is Hurting, either, Physically or Emotionally, or they are dealing with Someone who is. Being Nice to Others, is not a Character Flaw, it's just being, Nice.

Communicating with strangers on the computer really is difficult because we can't see facial expression, body language, etc.

My thoughts, too. And I would venture a strong suspicion that Dan is among those hurting, too. He posted about his struggle with clinical depression. I thought I could tell by his posts when he was struggling the most.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2009, 04:18:45 PM »

I'm still around, just hurting badly from my losses so being a bit quiet, but I still think of you all every day.  I'll be back to form soon.  :grouphug;

:grouphug;

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2009, 07:23:58 PM »

I think that as members of a support group we have to remember everyone is in a different stage of the disease and treatment. We all are looking for different things when we come here.  We as support members need to remember to meet that person where they are and remember we may be in a different place physically. mentally and emotionally.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2009, 06:24:38 PM »

Dan and Lucinda both left??!! Why? I disappear for a "depression break" and this happens! Crap, that makes me very sad.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Hanify
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2009, 11:24:37 PM »

I thought Lucinda had changed her mind, and was going to stay around.  Dan has left because he feels that he is misinterpreted constantly here.  He really doesn't mean to put anyone's back up, and is unsure why he does.  So he's decided it's better for all if he stays away.  He speaks as honestly here as he does in real life, and doesn't have a problem in real life, so there you go.  I think in real life at a party or something, you would easily say to someone that they were being silly, or an idiot or something, or if you were talking about politics say, you would say 'oh rubbish - such and such is an idiot' and noone would care.  But online, those kind of comments come out differently somehow.  Does any of this make sense?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »