I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 12:31:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  Questions about air travel
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Questions about air travel  (Read 8922 times)
george40

« on: May 26, 2009, 07:38:26 AM »

Hello all,

Okay here goes. I will be travelieng by air for the first time on pd. It is an emergency and I will be gone a total of 24 hours. I have some questions. Note: I am now doing PD manual exchanges 4 times per day.

1- This is an emergency trip and baxter doesn ot know if they will be able to get fluid to the location. Can fluid be taken on the airplane?

2) I will be attending a funeral in NY, then traveling for the burial to NJ, back to ny, etc. I have no idea how/when I will be able to do exchanges. has anyone ever went 24 hours without PD dialysis?

3) Catheter - Does it cause problems with security? Do I ned a note from my pd nurse for air travel?

8/2000 - Diagnosed ESRD / Hemo begins with perm cath
1/2002 - Transplant No. 1
4/2006 - Transplant failed due to CMV virus/ Back to Hemo
11/2008 - Moved to PD Modality
9/2012 - Transplanted!
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 08:21:25 AM »

Sorry cant help you with the travel questions but , going without PD for 24 hrs while not the best answer wont kill you! Is there no where you can do any exchanges? even one would be better than none. Also do you use Extraneal ? If there is no way you can do an exchange for 24hrs then you would probably be better off leaving extraneal in during that time. The worst outcome is that your weight/fluid is obviously going to go up and you might feel a bit crappy with the toxins. If you cant do an exchange that day then i would do some extra the next day , just to pull off the extra fluid . I have missed a day before now when i was feeling really rough and didnt really notice that much effect ..and irrc someone on here used to miss whole weekends but i cant remember who! 

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
george40

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 09:16:12 AM »

Sorry cant help you with the travel questions but , going without PD for 24 hrs while not the best answer wont kill you! Is there no where you can do any exchanges? even one would be better than none. Also do you use Extraneal ? If there is no way you can do an exchange for 24hrs then you would probably be better off leaving extraneal in during that time. The worst outcome is that your weight/fluid is obviously going to go up and you might feel a bit crappy with the toxins. If you cant do an exchange that day then i would do some extra the next day , just to pull off the extra fluid . I have missed a day before now when i was feeling really rough and didnt really notice that much effect ..and irrc someone on here used to miss whole weekends but i cant remember who!

Hi, I do not use Extraneal. I will be able to get in an exchange probably later in the evening. For some reason I thought we could not take bags of fluid on planes. Is this not the case? If so, I can carry a couple of bags with me.

9/2012 - Transplanted!
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 09:33:16 AM »

Sorry ive never flown while doing PD , im sure someone will be along to help you out there. Best thing to do is ,do as many exchanges as you can fit in on that day , then the next day ..possibly check your weight and see how you feel. If you have put on some fluid then do a couple of extra exchanges the next day to take it off again.  :thumbup;

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
rookiegirl

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 10:42:39 AM »

George40,

You can take with you PD supplies including your fluids as long as you have a note from your PD clinic.  I had to travel last December for a 5 days cruise and took with me on the plane 2 bags of fluid for emergency, just in case.  I had my clinic type up a letter and had no problems going through security.  The PD catheter does not affect the security check either.

RG

2000-Diagnosed IGA Nephropathy
2002-1st biopsy (complications)
2004-2nd biopsy
10/03/07-Tenckhoff Catheter Placement
10/22/07-Started Peritoneal Dialysis
03/2008-Transplant team meeting
04/2008-Transplant workup
05/2008-Active Transplant list
3/20/09-Cadaver Kidney Transplant
4/07/09-Tenckhoff Catheter removed
4/20/09-New kidney biopsy
rookiegirl

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 02:14:25 PM »

George40,

Just an addition to my previous comment... What type of solution do you do?  You may want to ask your Neph about using Icodextrin solution (7.25% Purple Cap).  Ico solution are good for up to 12-16 hours.  When I was on PD, I did 2 exchanges per day.  I use the Icodextrin from 7am-11pm.

2004-2nd biopsy
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 05:12:28 PM »

George, when do you leave?  I ask, because my husband works at RDU, been with the airlines for 35 years.  Get the note from your clinic.  I  will be glad to give you my husbands name and number, so you can have back up help at the airport. He is now with the Airport Authority and would be glad to help in any way.    PM me if we can help.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
george40

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 07:03:35 PM »

George, when do you leave?  I ask, because my husband works at RDU, been with the airlines for 35 years.  Get the note from your clinic.  I  will be glad to give you my husbands name and number, so you can have back up help at the airport. He is now with the Airport Authority and would be glad to help in any way.    PM me if we can help.

Paris, thanks a bunch. I will be traveling 6am thursday morning out of RDU. I called my nurse today and she will have a note ready for me tomorrow. I will pm you. thanks.

9/2012 - Transplanted!
george40

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 07:07:38 PM »

George40,

Just an addition to my previous comment... What type of solution do you do?  You may want to ask your Neph about using Icodextrin solution (7.25% Purple Cap).  Ico solution are good for up to 12-16 hours.  When I was on PD, I did 2 exchanges per day.  I use the Icodextrin from 7am-11pm.

RG, thanks for this info. I use 2000 ml bags 4 times per day. I have clinic tomorrow and guess what I will be asking about? This is interesting.

9/2012 - Transplanted!
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 08:08:42 AM »

I was telling my husband about you this morning.  He says the note will allow you to have the fluid bags and you should have no problems.    I hope you trip goes smoothly. I am sorry for the reason for your flight.  My thoughts will be with you and your family.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Brightsky69

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 08:32:31 AM »

Hi,

I have flown home from San Diego and I had no problem getting thru security with my fluids. I use the cycler and so I only had the one big bag for emergency purposes. They had a special line for medical liquids. I went through, they checked my PD solution and that was it. I didn't even have a note from my clinic.
I  have a cathather and that didn't set of any alarms while going through security.

Personally I wouldn't go 24 hours without doing dialysis. I would ask your nurse about it. I would at least do one exchange right before you leave to go to the airport and once you get to NY I would do another exchange. I've done exchanges in my car before.

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
george40

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 11:25:57 AM »

Thanks all! I got my letter today from my pd nurse just in case its needed. I will take my fluids for the 24 hours so I wont be skipping. You learn alot from this community. Thanks again.

9/2012 - Transplanted!
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 03:19:35 PM »

I have travelled a lot and often take spare bags with me.  As long as you have your letter you'll be fine.  Over here (New Zealand) we are encouraged to have a 'day off' once a month where we don't dialyse.  I usually try to time these days off when I'm travelling somewhere.  Ask your nurses about it - I'd love to know what they think.

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
george40

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 04:13:09 PM »

I have travelled a lot and often take spare bags with me.  As long as you have your letter you'll be fine.  Over here (New Zealand) we are encouraged to have a 'day off' once a month where we don't dialyse.  I usually try to time these days off when I'm travelling somewhere.  Ask your nurses about it - I'd love to know what they think.

I asked today for a day off, and she said "absolutely not".

9/2012 - Transplanted!
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 04:16:10 PM »

Well, I do it once a month - as long as I'm feeling good.  If I was overloaded or anything I wouldn't.  I'm off to Samoa in August so will plan days off around when I travel.  I'll try the day or so before hand to be under slightly, and then take off what ever is necessary the day after.  Doesn't seem to have any downside to me.

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
george40

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 07:31:17 AM »

:bandance; I made it! All-in-All things went well. Here are some notes....

RDU was a pain to get through security. The security guy did not know what pd was and grilled me. Thats okay.... then he says step to the side, and takes the fluid out the little travel bag I had. He held up a bag of fluid in the air and asked me to take it out the wrapper. All the while he had the letter from my clinic. I politely shared that i am not supposed to take the fluid out of the wrapper until Im ready to use it. He was holding the fluid up to the light as if he would see something. He called over another tech, who had no idea, then finally they called a supervisor who immediately saw the fluids, read the letter from my clinic, apologized and said thanks for my patience, please enjoy the flight. Unfortunately I felt uncomfortable after this as just about everyone going through the scanners were looking and wondering what I had in my bag. There was no medical line as some suggested. For the return flight home, I drained the one bag I had remaining from the trip as I did not want to experience explaining PD at JFK (although I think I did see a line for customers with medical issues.)

9/2012 - Transplanted!
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 07:39:53 AM »

Good news, George.

Next time you may want to ask for a supervisor right away!  :clap;

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Brightsky69

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 03:58:05 PM »

Wow - When i went thru security I told them i was on dialysis and I got all the sympathy in the world. It was "Oh you poor baby."

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
rookiegirl

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 06:07:21 PM »

Sorry about your bad airport experience.  When I traveled from RDU airport, I didn't have any problems.  Maybe those guys are just being a butt.  I'm glad the supervisor at least apologize.  Maybe next time it will be better.

2004-2nd biopsy
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 06:30:41 PM »

The problem with airport security is their pay scale and training.  They make about the same as a fast food employee and never get enough training.  And  security differs from one airport to another.   A little bit of authority can, unfortunately, go to some heads.  Other than the two who didn't know, how did the rest of the trip go?  Did it ease your concern about traveling?  I hope your family is dealing with their loss.   :grouphug;
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 07:40:33 AM by paris » Logged

george40

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2009, 06:08:05 AM »

The problem with airport security is their pay scale and training.  They make about the same as a fast food employee and never get enough training.  And  security differs from one airport to another.   A little bit of authority can, unfortunately, go to some heads.  Other than the two who didn't know, how did the rest of the trip go?  Did it ease your concern about traveling?  I hope your family is dealing with their lose.   :grouphug;

Hi Paris, I now have the traveling bug. lol We will be going away in a few weeks, this time baxter has enough time to deliver supplies for me. Thanks for the encouragement.

9/2012 - Transplanted!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »