I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2024, 01:43:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  What pets do you have? Feel free to post pics!
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 84 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What pets do you have? Feel free to post pics!  (Read 413499 times)
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #725 on: November 12, 2007, 09:01:43 PM »

At my house?  you mean HER house, lol, she rules the damn house, walks all over me (literally) she is too damn spoiled (and very much loved) she loves to sit by the window and tease Jane, she takes her toys to the window, i really think she needs a friend to play with but Sam isnt thinking so, lol,  thank you so much for asking  :waving;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #726 on: November 13, 2007, 09:57:22 AM »

Paddbear, can you tell me the pros and cons of declawing a cat, i declawed my last cat and he was fine and i really want to get Xena declawed but still unsure.  ::)

First and foremost, I am pro declawing. I just want to set the record straight. I have owned 7 cats in my life and every single one has been declawed. None of them have ever suffered psychologically or behaviorally or had balance problems. The American Veterinary Medical Association even states that there is no evidence of this in declawed cats. And they were all jumping off furniture within 3 days of the surgery. I've assisted in the declawing of 2 of my cats, and am well aware of how it works. Contrary to popular belief, as long as the surgery is done properly, it is, like any surgery, safe. If you do it, I would recommend finding a vet who does it with lasers as opposed to a blade or nail clippers. The recovery time is shorter and less painful. And yes, it is surgery, so there will be pain, but only for a few days. The cat will be sent home with pain medication, antibiotics and instructions to use paper litter for a week. Other than that, there isn't much to the after care. They will be jumping very soon! As for pros, it saves your furniture and your body. If you need to be very careful of infections, it is a very wise idea, as cat scratches can cause an infection of the parasite Bartonella, better known as Cat Scratch Fever. This parasite is carried naturally in cat's blood. As far as negative, it involves pain for the cat and there is a risk of infection or bleeding. If the cat is to go outdoors at all, do not declaw it. Their claws are their defense mechanism from predators. It allows them to escape up trees and fight off other animals. It would be cruel, and possibly life-threatening to declaw them.

I hope this helps somewhat!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 10:13:03 AM by paddbear0000 » Logged

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
oswald

« Reply #727 on: November 13, 2007, 10:14:39 AM »

cat scratch fever ?  i had that.  i got it from some kid next store.  i went to see the doctor to give me the cure, i think i got it some more.

ESRD 11/95
1st Transplant 7/1996 (failed; Nephrectomy 12/1996)
2nd Transplant 3/1999 (lasted 6 years)
3rd Transplant 5/2007 (lasted 4 years)
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #728 on: November 14, 2007, 12:23:12 AM »

I got ahold of her, and she only had 1 left, so this is the one I am getting:

(My sister in law will bring it down Thanksgiving week with her so I won't have to get a way up there to get it)

Better late than never as they say. Congradulations on getting a dog. I didn't look to well if anyone mentioned those puppy pee pads, but from my experience, they do not work. The pups just chew them up like they are a scented toy from heaven.
Good Luck

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #729 on: November 14, 2007, 12:38:51 AM »

Baths... how often does this lil puppy need one? I was thinking, twice a week?

I'd say once a month! Bathing a dog too frequently can actually irritate their skin. If you're keen to keep the dog extra clean, then maybe every fortnight at the most.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #730 on: November 14, 2007, 05:52:36 AM »

I got ahold of her, and she only had 1 left, so this is the one I am getting:

(My sister in law will bring it down Thanksgiving week with her so I won't have to get a way up there to get it)

Better late than never as they say. Congradulations on getting a dog. I didn't look to well if anyone mentioned those puppy pee pads, but from my experience, they do not work. The pups just chew them up like they are a scented toy from heaven.
Good Luck

Zoe LOVES those things! They're like candy to her.  :rofl;

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #731 on: November 14, 2007, 06:24:36 AM »

Baths... how often does this lil puppy need one? I was thinking, twice a week?

I'd say once a month! Bathing a dog too frequently can actually irritate their skin. If you're keen to keep the dog extra clean, then maybe every fortnight at the most.

Ok ty  :thumbup;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #732 on: November 14, 2007, 06:38:17 AM »

cat scratch fever ?  i had that.  i got it from some kid next store.  i went to see the doctor to give me the cure, i think i got it some more.

Well the first time that I got it
I was just 10 years old
I got it from some kitty next door
Well I went and seen the doctor
And he gave me the cure
I think I got it some more
lyricsdownload.com

It's not easy being green.
highlite36

« Reply #733 on: November 14, 2007, 02:38:45 PM »

Hey, Angela, have you and the kids NAMED the puppy yet?????  Names are soooo important and so beautiful!  They fully represent the essence of the dog.  It's almost like they grow into the name that they are given!  I named my dog after the well known and cute basketball player, Gilbert Arenas.  What do you want to name your new baby????

ESRD February 2002
Transplant from living non-related donor November 7, 2002
Lost transplant April 2005
Diagnosed with Heart Failure February 2006
Currently on Peritoneal Dialysis, awaiting to be well enough to FINALLY get placed
on the Transplant List.  :-)  I can't wait!!!!
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #734 on: November 14, 2007, 07:19:05 PM »

Hey, Angela, have you and the kids NAMED the puppy yet?????  Names are soooo important and so beautiful!  They fully represent the essence of the dog.  It's almost like they grow into the name that they are given!  I named my dog after the well known and cute basketball player, Gilbert Arenas.  What do you want to name your new baby????

Oh yah.. they named him "Cody". They fell in love with that name ever since seeing the movie "Surf's Up" because the main penguin is Cody. So, when I showed them the picture of the new puppy.. they both unanimously said his name is "Cody".  :thumbup;

ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #735 on: November 15, 2007, 05:55:11 AM »

Paddbear, can you tell me the pros and cons of declawing a cat, i declawed my last cat and he was fine and i really want to get Xena declawed but still unsure.  ::)

I did a paper on this very subject when in college. I'll attach it when I get home. (supposed to be working right now...lol) I agree with paddbear and so does my paper!

As is your sort of mind, so is your sort of search: you will find what you desire.
xtrememoosetrax

« Reply #736 on: November 16, 2007, 06:30:36 AM »

I did a paper on this very subject when in college. I'll attach it when I get home. (supposed to be working right now...lol) I agree with paddbear and so does my paper!

Oh good, I would like to read it. I also REALLY appreciate paddbear's very informative post on this; thanks, paddbear, for taking the time. I've had (stilll have three) lots of cats with claws, and they can be SO destructive. Last time I had a declawed cat was probably about 30 years ago, and she seemed fine. And now, with advances in surgical techniques, pain managment, etc., it stands to reason that it has got to be better that it used to be. And certainly preferable to leaving an animal homeless or euthanizing it because of bad behavior.  However, in recent years, there has been so much info out there that is militantly ANTI-declawing, so I got convinced that it must be bad. So it's very interesting to hear the other side, which sounds perfectly sensible to me.

Thanks much for the info.

xm

Living donor to friend via 3-way paired exchange on July 30, 2008.

www.paireddonation.org
www.caringbridge.org/visit/marthahansen
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #737 on: November 16, 2007, 07:13:56 AM »

If you do it, I would recommend finding a vet who does it with lasers as opposed to a blade or nail clippers. The recovery time is shorter and less painful.

Finding a proper vet to do this is very important.  Some of the "old school" vets actually just rip the claws right out which stretches the tendons in the toes and can cause lots of pain for your animal.  Most clip off the nail at the first knuckle which is common practice.  I have not personally heard of lasers being used but it would be a much more effective and more painless way of doing it.

It's not easy being green.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #738 on: November 16, 2007, 07:34:40 AM »

If you do it, I would recommend finding a vet who does it with lasers as opposed to a blade or nail clippers. The recovery time is shorter and less painful.

Finding a proper vet to do this is very important.  Some of the "old school" vets actually just rip the claws right out which stretches the tendons in the toes and can cause lots of pain for your animal.  Most clip off the nail at the first knuckle which is common practice.  I have not personally heard of lasers being used but it would be a much more effective and more painless way of doing it.

The laser method is gaining popularity all over. That's what we used at the vet I worked for. It's much safer and humane this way. I have never heard of a vet who just rips the claw out. You actually have to remove the last bone in the toe, not just the claw. Otherwise, it would grow back. They are either cut out, or evaporated out, as is done by the laser. Either way, the animal is under general anesthesia and is sent home on pain meds.

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #739 on: November 16, 2007, 08:14:22 AM »

When I was taking veterinary technician classes, we would be taught to use both lasers and surgically doing it. Most vets in my area do not use the laser yet though when talking to other students woring at other clinics. The clinic I worked at did it surgically, but the had doctor wanted the laser, but main owner did not want to approve the purchase.

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #740 on: November 16, 2007, 08:49:11 AM »

Yeah, those things ain't cheap! I'm surprised we had one because my boss was the biggest tight wad on the planet. He found out he could charge slightly more with the laser. Every penny counted!  Part of the reason I quit was because he cared more about the money than the animals.   :thumbdown;

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #741 on: November 16, 2007, 09:08:05 AM »

The vet I worked for cared about the animals and was only part owner, his daddy was the rest of the ownership who never stepped in to see what the heck went on in the place to understand the needs to stock more of certain things and the need for newer equipment. The doc was great though, he wanted to teach us who were going to school in the surgery room on what to do, what to look out for, and how to help during surgery. Oter doctors there were not like that as much.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #742 on: November 16, 2007, 01:07:49 PM »

On the subject of claws, I did a complete u-turn on the subject of dew claws in dogs.

Dorothy's breeder used to remove the dew claws on her puppies, and I used to dislike the idea. Over the years, I changed my mind completely.

Dorothy herself still has her dew claws. And I hate the damn things. Then, after I was a dog groomer for a couple of years, I saw far too many causing problems for the dogs, growing around and digging into their pads, or because they had grown too long the would be getting caught on things and ripped off in a painful manner...... Get rid of the darn things from day one, I say! Darn dew claws. Hate em!!!
SheilaW

« Reply #743 on: November 17, 2007, 09:15:40 PM »

Pepper, my 8 year old unknown breed cat

Katie, my 8 year old pure German Shepherd

Chaos, my aptly named 2 year old Dane/Mastiff mix

« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 08:17:22 AM by SheilaW » Logged
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #744 on: November 17, 2007, 09:24:19 PM »

Beautiful animals!

Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #745 on: November 18, 2007, 12:37:55 AM »

Great looking pets  :thumbup;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #746 on: November 18, 2007, 03:39:17 AM »

Pepper looks a bit like Xiola, a cat I had many years ago.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #747 on: November 18, 2007, 07:13:07 AM »

My gram just got a new cat named Barney.  He's very cuddly and lovable, but he's 25 pounds of pure fur terror when he gets wound up.  His previous owners used to lock him in his cat carrier for a time out when he did something he wasn't supposed to do.  Now, when he misbehaves, he runs to his carrier, gets in and pulls the door shut on himself.  Hehehehehehe!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #748 on: November 18, 2007, 07:16:43 AM »

Great pictures Sheila. I love that German Shepard.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #749 on: November 18, 2007, 11:51:28 AM »

Hey Sheila, me loves you pets :) Chaos looks like a ton of love, but that is one dog i wouldn't want to get mad, or that gorgeous German Shepherd either,  they look healthy and happy and that is all that matters, and i bet Pepper tells them what to do huh?  lol,  thanks for sharing their pics  :2thumbsup;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 84 Go Up Print 
« previous next »