I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2024, 05:44:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  What pets do you have? Feel free to post pics!
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 84 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What pets do you have? Feel free to post pics!  (Read 413523 times)
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #700 on: November 11, 2007, 03:41:31 PM »

I don't care what anyone calls them, a dog is a dog, and i'm sorry but my love is for all not just "pure bred". Although I agree, I would of liked to have had the Boston Terrier more so, but it's out of my hands as I couldn't find a breeder anywhere near me. As for making sure it's healthy and all that info, I have, I know the breeder personally and she has done this for over 15 years and does it for the best interest of the dogs themselves and this particular breed.

I have researched the breeds individually and together, and it's an excellent dog for my household. Small, easy to take care of, loving, great around kids, and so on and so on, same thing I was looking for with the Boston Terrier's, unfortunately, for now, I cannot find any breeders around here so that's ot an option at this point in time. Dangit!
Just a thought, if you love all dogs, why not check with your local shelter, im sure you can find something there you would love too.

Been there, done that. They have no dogs that are "small dogs", when I say small, I mean they remain small their whole life. Not only do I need a "small" dog, I need a dog that's great with kids, and like I say, they have nothing that would fit into what i need for my home. I looked, and looked.. and yah..  :)

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #701 on: November 11, 2007, 03:54:04 PM »

I agree with JoePaul, if and when your dad agrees, just keep going to your local animal shelter until you find something you like,  :2thumbsup;

Angela, i am very happy that you changed your mind about the Boston Terriers, they are awesome dogs but they can be very aggressive (especially with kids)  I had one with my Day Care and although he was good with the kids most times, there were times where he didnt know his own strength and became a bit aggressive so i had to seperate him from the kids.   
The Pom-chi pic you posted is absolutely adorable, i would say if you didnt have kids that it would be ideal, but with small kids wanting to always love and hold the puppy, accidents happen and they could drop it or some how hurt it because of its size, i would definetly not suggest anything smaller than something like a jack russell,  even the adult Dashunds are fragile because of their size, their backs can easily get hurt.   
Adopting a dog is a major decision, remember, they are cute and cuddly when they are small, but then you do have the problem of them chewing, digging, biting, sniffing crotches as they get older, then the fun and the thrill of your cute little puppy is gone.  I just hope you make the right choice for you and your family  :twocents; :twocents;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #702 on: November 11, 2007, 05:11:47 PM »

My dad said yes today, so I am getting one. As for the shelter, from what the lady told me, they never get the I am looking for, but she has my number if that changes.

I haven't got ahold of my sil's mom yet, hopefully she has not sold all 4 of the puppy's yet, as I want one, prefrerably the one in the pic I showed, but any of the 4 is fine.  My kids are good about not picking up puppy's all the time, they stayed with their dad a whole summer and were great with his and that's how I know it'll be ok with a small dog, seeing how I can only get a small dog, nothing else. Whew... but yah... I been thinking about a dog for years now, since my last one.. so I am prepared... just a little overly excited today about the whole thing since it's finally happening.

Love ya all.. thanks for the help so far :)

MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #703 on: November 11, 2007, 05:14:18 PM »

YAY!!!! You're getting a puppeh!!!   Congrats, Angela!!   :clap; :clap;
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #704 on: November 11, 2007, 05:16:37 PM »

Remember when you bring the puppy home, to allow it to explore you and your home first for several hours.  Have to kids completely ignore it for the first few days so you can establish boss with it.  If it comes to them for attention tell them to ignore it totally.  That way it will rely on YOU for what it needs. Also it establishes you as the head of the pack in the house.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 12:36:15 AM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #705 on: November 11, 2007, 05:17:50 PM »

Make sure it has got its first series of shots INCLUDING distemper and parvo  :2thumbsup;

www.kidneyoogle.com
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #706 on: November 11, 2007, 05:18:52 PM »

Thanks guys! VERY helpful, been a LONG time since I had a dog!  :grouphug;

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #707 on: November 11, 2007, 05:44:39 PM »

I got ahold of her, and she only had 1 left, so this is the one I am getting:

(My sister in law will bring it down Thanksgiving week with her so I won't have to get a way up there to get it)

So I have time to PREPARE, this is where I could use some tips and stuff cause i can't remember EVERYTHING:

Dog food, water bowl, food bowl, I am getting a doggy bed also however, until he's potty trained, he will use a crate to sleep in, and a playpen for during the day in my room until potty trained, a leash...a warm sweater (heheh, winter is coming, I live where it snows..)... toys, what else? Im so excited I cant even think right now!

oswald

« Reply #708 on: November 11, 2007, 09:32:56 PM »

the best way i've learned to potty train a dog is to take him outside every 15 min. or so for a few days, then  start to gradually increase the time by 15 min. every few days.  every time he goes out side he will go, weather he has to or not.  this will instill in him that the place to go is out side.  good luck with your new addition to your family. i'm glad your dad finally caved in.   :clap;

ESRD 11/95
1st Transplant 7/1996 (failed; Nephrectomy 12/1996)
2nd Transplant 3/1999 (lasted 6 years)
3rd Transplant 5/2007 (lasted 4 years)
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #709 on: November 11, 2007, 10:03:33 PM »

I agree with Oswald re toilet training, however I also think the crate is absolutely INDISPENSABLE for overnight! The crate can continue to be the dog's bed even after it's trained, if you so wish. My crate doors stay open pretty much all the time, and the dogs just go in whenever they feel like it. They have lots of comfy bedding in their crates, and covers over the top (dogs love this because of their natural den behaviour) and I also have water bowls that hook onto the side. It's just a thought I wanted to share, in case you don't wish to buy the extra dog bed just yet.

And with the toys - buy TONS. A busy and mentally stimulated dog is a happy dog! Like us, they can get bored with the "same old" so if you have enough different toys it's great to rotate them every couple of days.

I'm not against cross breeds at all, two of my best dogs have been non-purebred. However, there are multiple reasons people have concerns about the deliberate and continued cross-breeding of dogs (too complicated, political and irrelevant to bother going into here), so I understand what paddbear was getting at - she didn't intend that as a personal attack on you or anything like that. I'm sure you'll get a puppy you love and give it a great home, which is what matters here.

Since you've researched the pomeranian already, I'm sure you already know this but I'll point it out all the same - STAY ON TOP OF THAT COAT!!  :) Keep it well brushed, every day. Get the pup used to being groomed as soon as you bring him home, including playing with his feet/ears etc. I can't stress how important this is. Gosh, believe me - pomeranian types and shih-tzu X maltese were the biggest nightmares I ever faced when I was grooming dogs, because the owners either didn't understand how to care for the coats, or were too lazy. I'm sure you won't be like that, however!!

So, to top off the post - congratulations on your pending new arrival and best of luck! Hope to see more photos soon.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #710 on: November 12, 2007, 08:20:53 AM »

Thank you everyone again, I can't stress how thankful I am for your input.  :grouphug;

Right now the puppy is 12 weeks old, I will get him when he's 13 weeks old... and currently he is paper trained. I don't like this method of potty training, so I will be doing the crate method... but maybe I should put the paper down next to his crate for a couple days until he's comfortable here.. dunno.

cyco, I totally forgot about the fact that duh, he can sleep in the crate after he's potty trained also...  :lol; Thanks! :) As for brushing him, I'm gonna love doing that, but even more so will be my daughter! What type of brush should be used? I seen a few different kinds in the pet isle, such as hard, soft, and so on.

Baths... how often does this lil puppy need one? I was thinking, twice a week?

paddbear,  :cuddle; Sorry I kinda responded hastily, didn't mean too at all.

oswald

« Reply #711 on: November 12, 2007, 10:12:22 AM »

what do you get when you cross a shih-tzu and a pitbull ?        a bullshi#    :rofl;

ESRD 11/95
1st Transplant 7/1996 (failed; Nephrectomy 12/1996)
2nd Transplant 3/1999 (lasted 6 years)
3rd Transplant 5/2007 (lasted 4 years)
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #712 on: November 12, 2007, 11:31:12 AM »

paddbear,  :cuddle; Sorry I kinda responded hastily, didn't mean too at all.

You did? I didn't notice, but it's ok! Besides, I wasn't speaking bad of them, hell, I own 2 mutts myself!

As far as the newspaper/crate stuff. You can easily turn that into a positive thing. If you don't live in an apartment, it's easy. Keep newspaper in her crate. Over the course of a week or so, slowly move the newspaper toward the door you plan on taking her out to go. Eventually move it outside the door, then slowly towards the area where you want her to pee. Finally, remove the newspaper altogether. Make sure to reward her with a small treat each time she goes where she is supposed to (when you see her go). Don't give her a normal treat, but a piece of dog food. They get fat very fast! If you live in an apartment, you will basically do the same thing. Start with the newspaper in the crate, then move it towards the door, only making the area (the newspaper) smaller over time. Eventually, remove the paper altogether, taking her outside often, and putting newspaper down outside in the area where she is to go. She will get the idea soon. Again, reward her.

Do not put a bed in her crate until she is absolutely potty trained. They see the crate as their natural "den." Their natural instinct is to defecate in this den. As a result, you will be washing it a lot, plus reinforcing the fact that she should go to the bathroom on her bed. You definitely don't want that! Plus, if unsupervised, she may eat the bed, and at such a young age, her intestinal tract can not handle this very well.

Good luck!

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #713 on: November 12, 2007, 11:33:33 AM »

what do you get when you cross a shih-tzu and a pitbull ?        a bullshi#    :rofl;

I'd like to see the acrobatics involved in that! We used to have a great dane/beagle mix for a client! Now that had to take some help (altough, artificial insemination is used for pure bred's breeding sometimes  ::) )!!  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #714 on: November 12, 2007, 11:33:43 AM »

Paddbear, but i thought that they do not like to "defecate" in their "dens"  that is why you put them in it in the first place? i dont get it, please explain (in case i ever do get another dog, i think it is great info)  :2thumbsup;

www.kidneyoogle.com
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #715 on: November 12, 2007, 11:49:55 AM »

When they are extremely young and have not been taught where they are supposed to go, the den is naturally where they do go. That is where they went when they were first born due to very little movement. I know this is gross, but the mother would clean up the den for them by eating the excrement. They need to be taught to go elsewhere. Most eventually are taught by the mother that they are to go elsewhere, but once they come to a new home and no longer have their mother to guide them, they need to relearn. Many will naturally revert to their old ways if given enough space in their crate. The key is too make sure that there is just enough room for the puppy to turn around in the crate, no more! Many will also find carpet to go on because they were taught to go in the grass and to them, carpet is the closest thing to grass inside!

Zoe was found on the side of the road at 3 days old, so she never had a mother to "clean up" after her or teach her. Potty training was such a nightmare!! She went in her crate all over the place and slept in it!

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #716 on: November 12, 2007, 12:18:01 PM »

Congratulations Angela that pup is a cutie. :thumbup;
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #717 on: November 12, 2007, 12:29:33 PM »

Congratulations Angela that pup is a cutie. :thumbup;

I agree! But the two you have shown us seem camera shy--neither have looked at the camera.   ;D

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #718 on: November 12, 2007, 01:51:43 PM »

GREAT advice paddbear! I do have a question for you about the moving the newspaper thing. I love that idea btw! let's say I start with the newspaper in the crate and am slowly moving it out and closer to the door each and so on and so on.. How often do i move it further? Like eacch day? Every other day? Or?

Well, soon as he comes next week, i'll get a new pic of him.. and make sure he's smiling for the crowd.  ;D

paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #719 on: November 12, 2007, 02:04:40 PM »

Generally, if worked with consistently, it should take about 2 weeks for a dog to figure out it needs to go outside (unless it's stubborn, like mine!) It will depend on how far you need to go and how well the dog is doing. I'd try moving it (the newspaper, not the dog   ;) ) a foot or 2 each day or two. I wouldn't move it any more often than that tho. Again, distance depends on how far you have to go. If she appears to be getting the idea, you can move it even farther. Coming from a breeder, you shouldn't have much trouble, assuming the breeder had the parents (the mother at least) on the premises. As I mentioned, the mother should have started the teaching.  Have fun! I'm looking forward to more pictures. I love puppies!

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #720 on: November 12, 2007, 02:33:18 PM »

Thanks hun. Yes the mommy (and daddy) were on premises and started the teaching, and he is paper trained right now.

I am just counting down the days, I am so excited and anxious... and just want him right now!  :lol; Countdown begins: 9 days left!

goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #721 on: November 12, 2007, 02:36:45 PM »

Thanks for the explanation Paddbear, makes sense now ;)  :2thumbsup; 

www.kidneyoogle.com
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #722 on: November 12, 2007, 03:07:11 PM »

No problem! Glad I can help. I so miss working for a vet! Best job ever.

goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #723 on: November 12, 2007, 03:12:56 PM »

Paddbear, can you tell me the pros and cons of declawing a cat, i declawed my last cat and he was fine and i really want to get Xena declawed but still unsure.  ::)

www.kidneyoogle.com
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #724 on: November 12, 2007, 08:22:40 PM »

Hey Goofynina, how is the cat doing at your house?

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 84 Go Up Print 
« previous next »