I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 10:33:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Pain in Fistula Arm
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pain in Fistula Arm  (Read 4404 times)
meadowlandsnj

« on: June 22, 2007, 03:47:12 PM »

About halfway through my treatment (2 hours) I start to get this bad stabbing pain in my upper arm.  My fistula is in the middle part of my arm right where it bends.  Hot packs help sometimes but it's like someone is stabbing me with a knitting needle on and off, like a deep pain in the middle of my arm. 
Anyone else had this problem?

Donna :bandance;

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 04:51:57 PM »

I have  experienced the exact same problem. I was told the  needle was hitting  a nerve! Its very painful..

here is another post about it..

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=2436.0

i hope it gets better for you.

Amanda
xxoo

charee
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 05:04:49 PM »

it happens to me a couple times aweek they go in ok and then after a few hours the pain starts they have told me the same as Amanda its not quite as bad now that i use blunts but its still there.hope it improves for you..

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 08:06:01 PM »

I will get a pain all the way down into my fingertips and  sometimes numbness will set in.  They say it nerves reacting to being mucked with in the arm.  When it hurts really bad, I find the one position that it does not hurt in and stay that way for the entire treatment.  I have been in some pretty weird arm positions. Arm hanging off the chair, arm up on the chair, arm over the table, close to my body, out from the body...
I pray they do not hit a nerve each night when the needles go in.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 01:11:56 AM »

My fistula sounds like its in the same place as yours (above the elbow), and I have the same problem at times. I found when this happens, have the nurse or tech slow the pump speed, or try grabbing your upper arm at the shoulder socket and squeezing. I run at 500 most of the time, but when this pain occurs they slow it to 400 and it does help. Also, if they go too high in my fistula (arterial) this pain is more often than not.
Now I have them go as low in the fistula as possible. I think that is some of the worst pain there is, hope you try my suggestions and they help you.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
keefer51

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 07:56:29 PM »

I always have the pain after the needle is in. My fistula is located above the crease of my arm all the way up to my arm pit. I have sat there for the four hours because i don't feel like getting stuck again. They have told me that the needle is sitting on the nerve. Sometimes if i move it up it helps.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »