I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 07:45:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Got soap?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Got soap?  (Read 3701 times)
Kathleen

« on: April 20, 2007, 07:15:27 PM »

Hubby been using Dail antibacterial hand soap, which is so harsh on his hands. Any suggestion what might be a little milder?
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 07:18:17 PM »

Hi Kathleen,  I use the WalMart Equate liquid antibacterial brand for my handwashing and my site washing and havent really noticed any problems with drying.  Does he use lotion after he washes?  That may help if his hands are getting too dry?  just my   :twocents;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 07:40:17 PM »

Susie his hands get so darn dry, I notice at the doctor's restroom they  have this aww so soft hand soft, it got me a thinking that there has to be something more gentle. When he takes showers I got him Johnson & Johnson liquid soap. Its a very soft soap he seems to like that.  He uses Johnson & Johnson hand lotion. Is WalMart Equate a soft soap?
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 07:56:23 PM »

Susie his hands get so darn dry, I notice at the doctor's restroom they have this aww so soft hand soft, it got me a thinking that there has to be something more gentle. When he takes showers I got him Johnson & Johnson liquid soap. Its a very soft soap he seems to like that. He uses Johnson & Johnson hand lotion. Is WalMart Equate a soft soap?

Thank you so much for asking me this Kathleen, i actually had to get off my Keester (i've been here for 3 hours (or more) without getting up once so :P  But had to go get my soap to see what it says, and it says *ahem*  Compare to Soft Soap brand Hand Soap Antibacterial Fruit Essentials (cuz its Melon)   My PD nurse said as long as it says antibacterial it is good and this is only .88 :twocents; each :P   Shoot, i use so much of the stuff i aint paying almost $2.00 for the same thing, :P  ok, call me frugal..  But just wanted to let'cha know   :cuddle;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Chicken Little

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 08:11:04 PM »

I have really sensitive skin and can't use antibacterial soap.  I use Jergens Extra Moisturizing Wash for hand washing.  In the shower, I use the disposable Johnson's Head to Toe Baby Washcloths, washing my exit site first, and I keep a pump of babywash in there if I need more soap. 

Antibacterial soaps haven't shown to be more effective than regular cleansers.  It's apparently all about how long and thoroughly you wash.
Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 08:15:45 PM »

Omygosh Susie you tickle me. ;D I'll see if I Wally World here has it. Next time your at a Doctors office check their soap, its sooo soft.
Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 08:22:33 PM »

I have really sensitive skin and can't use antibacterial soap.  I use Jergens Extra Moisturizing Wash for hand washing.  In the shower, I use the disposable Johnson's Head to Toe Baby Washcloths, washing my exit site first, and I keep a pump of babywash in there if I need more soap. 

Antibacterial soaps haven't shown to be more effective than regular cleansers.  It's apparently all about how long and thoroughly you wash.

lol I got up to see what kind I had bought, its Johnson's softsoap extra care 24 hour moisturizing wash for dry skin. Hubby really likes that for his showers.
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 05:37:47 PM »

We just get random moisturizing hand soaps - my fave so far is Jergens just because that cherry smell is so good.   :)

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 12:59:25 PM »

My skin was dry. No moisturizing soap seemed to help. Neither did lotions. Dry winters made it worse. I went to the dermatologist and he recommended using Dove soap. I said, oh come on, how can a soap make any difference? I have tried Caress and Body Washes and other moisturizing soap and there was no difference. He said trust me, try it. I don't want to sound like a commercial... but he was right. Within a few days my skin got smoother and felt great!
Dove, an internationally acclaimed brand with Dermatologist recommendation, really helps with excessive dryness. Pediatricians recommend Dove as the best product for tender baby skin. For winter care, Dove also offers 3 X Deep Moisturizer. The latest from Dove is the Green Dove which contains Cucumber and Green Tea. Green tea has been scientifically proven to reduce free radicals on the skin cells and reduce sunburn on the skin.
The next time you shower remember the longer the use of water, the more your skin dries out. Don’t make the water too hot because it will make your skin rough too. A light toweling after Dove-ing keeps the skin in great shape for the day.
 :twocents;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 01:18:51 PM »

My skin was dry. No moisturizing soap seemed to help. Neither did lotions. Dry winters made it worse. I went to the dermatologist and he recommended using Dove soap. I said, oh come on, how can a soap make any difference? I have tried Caress and Body Washes and other moisturizing soap and there was no difference. He said trust me, try it. I don't want to sound like a commercial... but he was right. Within a few days my skin got smoother and felt great!
Dove, an internationally acclaimed brand with Dermatologist recommendation, really helps with excessive dryness. Pediatricians recommend Dove as the best product for tender baby skin. For winter care, Dove also offers 3 X Deep Moisturizer. The latest from Dove is the Green Dove which contains Cucumber and Green Tea. Green tea has been scientifically proven to reduce free radicals on the skin cells and reduce sunburn on the skin.
The next time you shower remember the longer the use of water, the more your skin dries out. Don’t make the water too hot because it will make your skin rough too. A light toweling after Dove-ing keeps the skin in great shape for the day.
 :twocents;

My husband has had the same effects from Dove- he won't use anything else- although he prefers the Dove Nutrium- it even helped some psoriasis he had

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 07:15:09 PM »

Aside from using lotion, the only thing that worked for my dry skin was Oil of Olay Body Wash with Ribbons (the purple bottle).  This is truly the only thing that works for me.  I have extremely dry skin, even in the summer. 

Hubby gets very dry skin on hands and feet.  Only thing that works for him and is also diabetic friendly is Elta Creme.  It's messy though and practically melts on contact, but it WORKS!  I use this on my feet and they are soooo soft.  You can get it at any drug store or wal-mart, target.  However, look for it at the Pharmacy counter if you can't find it in the health & beauty section.  I guess a lot of older people have been known to steal it (that's what our pharmacist said).

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 06:13:51 PM »

I will give the Dove a try.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »