I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2024, 03:32:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Reduced Kidney Function Tied to Mental Decline
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reduced Kidney Function Tied to Mental Decline  (Read 2377 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: November 22, 2012, 01:14:37 AM »

Reduced Kidney Function Tied to Mental Decline

Study of patients with chronic kidney disease found changes in memory, reasoning skills

November 19, 2012 RSS Feed  Print

MONDAY, Nov. 19 (HealthDay News) -- Decreased kidney function leads to declines in thinking and memory, a new study says.

Researchers looked at changes in kidney function and mental skills for five years in nearly 600 people. The greater the decrease in a person's kidney function during that time, the greater their decline in overall intellectual abilities, particularly abstract reasoning and verbal memory.

The study appeared Nov. 19 in the journal Nephrology, Dialysis and Transplantation.

"The brain and kidney are both organs that are affected by the cardiovascular systems," lead author Adam Davey, associate professor of public health in Temple University's College of Health Professions and Social Work, said in a university news release. "They are both affected by things like blood pressure and hypertension, so it is natural to expect that changes in one organ are going to be linked with changes in another."

The findings highlight the importance of diagnosing and managing chronic kidney disease.

"As we get older, our kidney function tends to decrease naturally, so if there's an extra issue involved in renal function like chronic kidney disease, we need to know about it as soon as possible," Davey said. "That is something that needs to be managed, just like you would manage hypertension."

He noted that the decrease in intellectual skills caused by reduced kidney function is not so significant that it would interfere with patients being able to participate in the treatment of their kidney disease.

"Patients are still going to be able to take their medicine on time and without assistance, as well as understand the information that their physician is sharing with them about their disease," Davey said.

Although the study found an association between decreased kidney function and a decline in mental skills, it did not prove a cause-and-effect relationship.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/news/articles/2012/11/19/reduced-kidney-function-tied-to-mental-decline?fb_action_ids=529577463737971&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%22529577463737971%22%3A478570978854083%7D&action_type_map=%7B%22529577463737971%22%3A%22og.likes%22%7D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
stringbandbeth

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 05:50:19 AM »

It's interesting that this is the first study done on memory/reasoning . I have always noticed a direct correlation between Bears labs and his memory and speech. It seem that after every Dialysis or kidney related crisis it get a little worse. He has been on D for a long time.
  This is something we've never really addressed with the Docs except to mention that his memory sucks but we've also noticed that he has more and more trouble finding the right words to get his point across. Now that they have officially acknowledged a connection it will be interesting to see if they can find a cause.

caregiver for husband on home dialysis 14 yrs
midges

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 03:32:21 PM »

I was just diagnosed with ESRD in September of this year and decreased memory and mental function was something my neph mentioned to me then. I have definitely noticed this to be true, especially over weekends when I have a longer time without dialysis. Even on the best days I still need to write things down and I often lose my train of thought mid-sentence.
YellowRose

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 08:20:06 PM »

Ha. interesting! I though it was just because I am getting old. I guess for us older ESRD patient, it is just double whammy.  :(
- Rose

Dec 1993 start with CAPD
May 1995 1st transplant
Jan 2007 start with CCPD
April 2011 start with Hemo
Sept 2012 2nd transplant
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 02:29:10 PM »

Eh?  What?  Who are you?  Where was I going?  :P

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 08:07:23 PM »

certainly explains a lot with me...

the closest thing i could relate it to was Pregnancy brain... but im not pregnant

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »