I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2024, 10:43:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Another Sad Story About Employers and Kidney Disease
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another Sad Story About Employers and Kidney Disease  (Read 2673 times)
drgirlfriend

« on: September 26, 2012, 09:34:21 AM »

This story stinks, but I have a question: what is this alleged "...treatment that allows Cupid to cleanse his system himself."? Anybody familiar with this? Inquiring minds want to know!

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/lifestyles/health/boynton-father-waits-for-justice-kidney-after-sysc/nSK6d/

BOYNTON BEACH FATHER WAITS FOR JUSTICE, KIDNEY AFTER SYSCO CUTS JOB
By Jane Musgrave
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

WEST PALM BEACH —

Told his kidneys were barely working, Martin Cupid had one thought: He wanted to keep his job.

Rather than spend his days tethered to a dialysis machine, the Boynton Beach man found a doctor who recommended a treatment that allows Cupid to cleanse his system himself. Committed to finding a more permanent solution, he applied to the Shands Transplant Center at the University of Florida, hoping to be put on a waiting list to receive a new kidney.

When Cupid told his bosses at the Sysco Corp. he had been approved for a transplant, they congratulated him. Three days later, however, they told him to clean out his desk — his job as night manager at the food distribution giant’s Riviera Beach plant was being eliminated.

“It was unbelievable,” the 32-year-old father of three said Monday. “After working there 10 years and giving so much. It was shocking.”

His attorney says it also was illegal.

In a lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court, attorney Don Boswell claims the Houston-based company violated Cupid’s rights under the Americans With Disabilities Act.

The 22-year-old act requires employers to accommodate workers with health problems, Boswell said. In Cupid’s case, few accommodations were needed. “He can still work a 40-hour week,” Boswell said. At most, they would have had to give him time to flush his system, but Boswell said he would have done it during his dinner break.

Sysco attorney David Spector declined comment. Sysco officials told the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission that Cupid was let go as part of downsizing related to the sagging economy.

However, according to company records, only four other workers were let go for financial reasons, Boswell said. All were terminated on Jan. 17, 2011 — four months before Cupid lost his $72,000-a-year job at the plant that employs more than 300. Further, he said, Sysco refused to even consider Cupid for other jobs.

“In this economy, it’s so easy for companies to say they’re downsizing,” he said. Too often, the real reason is they simply don’t want to be saddled with the costs and the need to give time off to a sick worker. It happens more than most people think, said Boswell, who specializes in employment law.

In August, a Lantana-area man sued Wells Fargo bank, claiming it trumped up reasons to fire him while he was working irregular hours while his 4-year-old daughter battled a rare form of cancer. Yovany Gonzalez’s young daughter eventually died.

When Cupid lost his job he also lost his insurance and was booted off the transplant list at Shands. While he and his children now have insurance through his wife’s job at the YMCA in Boynton Beach, Shands doesn’t accept the insurance.

Tampa General Hospital does, however, and after undergoing a battery of tests, he will learn soon whether he will be put on its transplant list. Because he has a rare blood type, it is likely he will have to wait three to five years before one becomes available. His wife is willing to donate if she is a match, or she may be able to swap a kidney with someone who is a match. In the meantime, he said, he wants to find work.

“I try volunteering,” he said. “But I like work. There’s nothing like working.”

But, he said, workers should be treated fairly.

He said he decided to file suit to right a wrong. “I feel it was because of the disability and I would like to get my job back. That was all I knew,” he said, explaining that Sysco was his first and only employer. “I liked working in a warehouse environment. I saw myself progressing a lot.”

Boyfriend diagnosed with renal failure Feb. 2011. Cause unknown.
PD Catheter "installed" June 30, 2011.
Began CAPD August 11, 2011.
On transplant list 11/23/11.
Started Liberty Cycler 12/1/11.
Sydnee

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 10:27:26 AM »

To your question, I would think it's PD.
sense  he could "cleanse his system himself" and "At most, they would have had to give him time to flush his system"
sounds a lot like what Ed does with PD, " he hooks up and does an exchange himself" and when he is at work "he empties, flushing his system, then fills latter in the day."

After a hard fight to not start I started dialysis 9/13
started on PD
hoping for home hemo starting to build a fistula 1/14
cause PKD diagnosed age 14

Wife to Ed (who started dialysis 1/12 and got his kidney 10/13)
Mother to Gehlan 18, Alison 16, Jonathan 12, and Evalynn 7. All still at home.
www.donate2benefit.webs.com
drgirlfriend

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 10:31:08 AM »

I figured that's what they meant but I was hoping for some new magical treatment! Could they have been more vague or weird about it?

Boyfriend diagnosed with renal failure Feb. 2011. Cause unknown.
PD Catheter "installed" June 30, 2011.
Began CAPD August 11, 2011.
On transplant list 11/23/11.
Started Liberty Cycler 12/1/11.
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 03:10:59 PM »

Sounds like they are trying to describe PD but didn't take the time or effort to understand it.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »