I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 03:26:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Yaaaaaaaay for the new Tums Smoothies.. very yummy!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Yaaaaaaaay for the new Tums Smoothies.. very yummy!  (Read 6671 times)
raina

This is me and my boy.

« on: January 09, 2007, 06:41:48 PM »

Phoslo/Renegel makes me hurl so I'm still takin' tums.  I was at Freddy's the other day after having some snacks in my truck and there was a lady handing out free samples of the new tums smoothies.  They are VERY tasty.  I was shocked to find the difference between the generic and brand name calcuim carbonate, but even more pleasantly surprised when I found that these new tums smoothies are even yummier than regular tums.  Less chalky.  And they don't have phosphorus in the ingredients.  I never understood why they gave me tums with phosphorus to keep my phosphorus down.

:2thumbsup;

I am the great Rainholio.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 07:37:11 PM »

I shall try them, even tho i'm not too fond of TUMS... bleh. I prefer my Renegel for now, even though it sucks to take 5 pills 3 times a day cuz they are so huge... i'm hoping to ask my doctor about Fosernol or something else thats fewer pills.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 07:57:03 PM »

I shall try them, even tho i'm not too fond of TUMS... bleh. I prefer my Renegel for now, even though it sucks to take 5 pills 3 times a day cuz they are so huge... i'm hoping to ask my doctor about Fosernol or something else thats fewer pills.

Well if you are not found of Tums, you will hate "Fosrenol" as it is only in CHEWABLE form. I tried it and I hated it.

http://www.fosrenol.com/Consumers/WhyFosrenol/HowToTakeIt.aspx It actually made me want to GAG! Really, really chalky.

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 07:59:18 PM »

how many tums do you take with a meal or snack?
I take phoslo but find it sometimes gives me heartburn.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 08:42:43 PM »

Now Epoman, Fosrenol is not that bad, if you like a giant taste of chalk behind every meal!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 05:49:58 AM »

Well that sucks.... I don't like the chalky taste, so I guess I won't be asking to try that then. I don't like tums b/c mainly the taste, but I found I like the peppermint kind, however tums dont work to keep my phosphorus down, so no point in taking them if they ain't gonna help my labs.

Renegel seems to be working, but the pills are so damn big, I hate that part, lol.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 06:07:15 AM »

Be careful of FOSRENOL®.

Important Safety Information
" ... The duration of treatment exposure and time of
observation in the clinical program were too short to conclude that FOSRENOL® does
not affect the risk of fracture or mortality beyond 3 years. While lanthanum has been
shown to accumulate in the GI tract, liver, and bone in animals, the clinical
significance in humans is unknown. Patients with acute peptic ulcer, ulcerative colitis,
Crohn's disease, or bowel obstruction were not included in FOSRENOL® clinical
studies. Caution should be used in patients with these conditions ..."

http://www.fosrenol.com/HCP/SafetyInfo.aspx
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 06:11:58 AM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
mallory

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 10:17:44 AM »

When my doctor told me to take two Tums with each meal, I got a bottle of the Tums Smoothies in the Cocoa and Creme flavor.  They were pretty good.  But, after a few bottles, I decided to try the regular, fruit flavored Tums.  They were so yucky! I didn't really care for the flavor, and I can't stand the consistency.  Raina is right, the Smoothie Tums are much better, and the Cocoa and Creme flavor is quite good. 

I mean, it's not like having a Snickers bar, but it's a lot better than the other kind of Tums!

Sometimes the light’s all shinin’ on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it’s been.
                                  - Jerry Garcia
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 10:26:11 AM »

Now Epoman, Fosrenol is not that bad, if you like a giant taste of chalk behind every meal!
I remember back in grade school, having to clean the erasers for being stupid. I can still taste the day when the wind changed direction. Them pills probably are tasty compared to that day  :banghead;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
meadowlandsnj

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 03:12:03 PM »

Well if you are not found of Tums, you will hate "Fosrenol" as it is only in CHEWABLE form. I tried it and I hated it.

http://www.fosrenol.com/Consumers/WhyFosrenol/HowToTakeIt.aspx It actually made me want to GAG! Really, really chalky.

- Epoman

I tried Fosrenol for a while and I really hated it also.  I tried everything from crushing it and putting it with applesauce and even crushing it and putting it in a little bit of yogurt  No way--I'd rather not eat than have to take that again it was that bad for me.  I now take Renagel 800 5/6/6 every day. 

Donna

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 06:23:53 PM »

When i first started with the Fosrenols, they werent too bad, but after time the grittiness started getting to me and everytime i ate them i would puke, so now, i am back to good ol' Renagels (and hella heartburn) but thank goodness for Prilosec  :2thumbsup;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 08:08:24 PM »

Yeah, Fosrenol upset my tummy and made me nauseous for days at a time!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 04:26:20 AM »

When my doctor told me to take two Tums with each meal, I got a bottle of the Tums Smoothies in the Cocoa and Creme flavor.  They were pretty good.  But, after a few bottles, I decided to try the regular, fruit flavored Tums.  They were so yucky! I didn't really care for the flavor, and I can't stand the consistency.  Raina is right, the Smoothie Tums are much better, and the Cocoa and Creme flavor is quite good. 

I mean, it's not like having a Snickers bar, but it's a lot better than the other kind of Tums!

I told my dietitian about them and now she is telling everyone about them! I tried them without my dietitian's permission and when I started taking them my Phosphate FINALLY was under control (5 months now going on 6!!)! My dietitian was so impressed that I finally told her and now she tells everyone about it!

A patient will be more "compliant" (or "accommidating .. I LOVE that word much better!) if they like the taste right? And who wouldn't want that chocolate that they are normally told they can't have?? You have to take a binder with any chocolate but a chocolate flavoured binder .. how clever!!

Anyway, I take only 1 with each meal and it works!

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
susie q

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 04:28:46 PM »

I use those too Angie... now if they would only make a beer flavored one...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »