I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 02:33:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Scary Session
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scary Session  (Read 4593 times)
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« on: January 03, 2007, 06:11:13 AM »

My longest time without dialysis was this weekend.  I had dialysis last week Wed, then flew out to Barbados on Thu and had dialysis there on Fri.  It went very well. Perfect, not a problem.  But my next dialysis was yesterday Tuesday (because of the holiday, dialysis was on Sunday here) here.  First of all, I weighed in with the most I have ever been over my dry weight - 6.2!!!
The sessions seemed to be going quite well for the first 3 ½ hours.  Then I had the most awful cramp in one of my legs, from the calf down!!  And the other one was starting up as well.  Well, they did the usual - saline, head down.  That worked for a while.
When they were taking me off and I sat up, I thought I was going to pass out!  When they checked my BP was at 97/54!!
They had me lie down until I felt better.  Every time I thought I could go again, my BP would plunge.  Once it was at 75/42.  I was so scared.  I even asked the nurse if I was going to die.  She assured me that I wouldn't.  I had to spend almost an hour after my usual time before they got my BP stabilized.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 06:24:57 AM »

I'm glad your ok and I feel bad you had that experience.

This disease is just unforgiving  >:(
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 09:06:47 AM »

My longest time without dialysis was this weekend.  I had dialysis last week Wed, then flew out to Barbados on Thu and had dialysis there on Fri.  It went very well. Perfect, not a problem.  But my next dialysis was yesterday Tuesday (because of the holiday, dialysis was on Sunday here) here.  First of all, I weighed in with the most I have ever been over my dry weight - 6.2!!!
The sessions seemed to be going quite well for the first 3 ½ hours.  Then I had the most awful cramp in one of my legs, from the calf down!!  And the other one was starting up as well.  Well, they did the usual - saline, head down.  That worked for a while.
When they were taking me off and I sat up, I thought I was going to pass out!  When they checked my BP was at 97/54!!
They had me lie down until I felt better.  Every time I thought I could go again, my BP would plunge.  Once it was at 75/42.  I was so scared.  I even asked the nurse if I was going to die.  She assured me that I wouldn't.  I had to spend almost an hour after my usual time before they got my BP stabilized.

I've been there bajanne don't worry, my BP has gotten as low as 50/30 on :o It was checked several times even two different BP machines, the odd thing I didn't feel that bad. It took awhile but after a full bag of saline (1,000cc's) it finally went up to 90/60. It really freaked me out when my BP was 50/30.  :o

You menitoned you gained 6.2, were you trying to remove the full 6.2kilos in one session, if yes that is why you cramped you were taking off to much to fast, I'm talking about your hourly rate. You should never try to remove 6.2kilos in one session.

Never, ever try to remove 6.2 kilos in one session.

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 05:50:04 PM »

Oh Bajanne, i am sorry you went through that,  reading your post reminded me of what i went through when i was in clinic,  that would happen to me almost every time, granted there were days when i would have a good run but those were very few,  hopefully you will have better runs here on out  :2thumbsup;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 07:48:31 PM »

WOW Bajanne! That must have been scary! I remember when mine dropped to 65/38. Not a feeling I ever want to feel again but know I probably will. I have to agree with Epoman that they shouldn't have tried to take off that much in one session. I was only 4.3 up and I left some for next dialysis (of course they say since I am smaller I can't handle as much .. does that make sense?)

I really feel for you! Did you heart rate race after that? Mine does. Hope you took it easy afterwards. How are you doing now? :cuddle;

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
gizmar

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 08:10:25 PM »

It's very scary indeed - and they're all right - never try to take off that much in one session.  I can't even imagine that a nurse with a brain would attempt it.  It's just amazing how totally fried you feel after a session like that.  The kindest thing you can do for yourself is absolutely nothing - just hang out on the couch and let your body equalize again. 
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 08:27:28 PM »

I'm sorry you had such a bad time.
Not a good way to end a holliday.
I hope you are feeling better now.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
jedimaster

Stainboy is....alive!!!

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 08:29:03 PM »

wow!...hope you are feeling better now :cuddle;
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 08:47:53 PM »

I have done that one, too.  It is not a good feeling when it happens and you crash and have to wait it out.  I agree with everyone do not attempt to take 6.2 kilos in one session.  The body will rebel at you. Watch your fluid intake over the next few sessions and it should come right off.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Bear

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 05:49:56 PM »

....the most awful cramp in one of my legs, from the calf down!!  And the other one was starting up as well.  When they were taking me off and I sat up, I thought I was going to pass out!  When they checked my BP was at 97/54!!
                 Yep!! "been there; done that!" My lowest was 85/45. ON nocturnal, all this was "a thing of the past". But since I lost my
 left arm fistula & have a permacath in, I'm an in-center person for a while again & I've had to take off 800p.h., compared to a nocturnal
 max of 400. HAd a few 'good' cramps. Roll-on the new fistual working (hopefully!) and I can get a machine @ home again   ::)
 But it does go to show how important/difficult it is to keep fluid gain down  :wine;

waves...Bear
pigsty1953

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 06:21:01 PM »

Hi,
I posted about when it happened to me before the holidays, so I have a pretty good idea what you went through.  They regularly take between 5 and 6 off.  Esp. after a weekend,  I have been doing somewhat better with my weight gain, but still not perfect.

I usually gain a little over 2 kilos a day.  It has been a lot more, so I am happy for that.   I am a big guy, food has always been a problem for me.  That is the reason I am in  this position.

As they told me, don't beat your brains out about it, just take it as it comes.    As happened to me, IT WILL GET BETTER, and you know, it has.

Best of luck, take care Randy, Palm Harbor, FL :clap; :clap; :clap; :) :) :)
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 07:03:40 PM »

Hi,
I posted about when it happened to me before the holidays, so I have a pretty good idea what you went through.  They regularly take between 5 and 6 off.  Esp. after a weekend,  I have been doing somewhat better with my weight gain, but still not perfect.

I usually gain a little over 2 kilos a day.  It has been a lot more, so I am happy for that.   I am a big guy, food has always been a problem for me.  That is the reason I am in  this position.

As they told me, don't beat your brains out about it, just take it as it comes.    As happened to me, IT WILL GET BETTER, and you know, it has.

Best of luck, take care Randy, Palm Harbor, FL :clap; :clap; :clap; :) :) :)

Hi pigsty1953, I saw your post and I noticed how you said they regularly take off between 5 and 6 kilos, well I'm sure you have heard it before but doing that is VERY bad for your heart and I am speaking from experience. Try to limit your fluid intake to the maximum 4 kilos between sessions, even 4 kilos is bad. I used to always remove 4 kilos and now 13 years later I am having heart problems. Take care and good luck.

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

pigsty1953

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007, 09:48:33 PM »

Hi pigsty1953, I saw your post and I noticed how you said they regularly take off between 5 and 6 kilos, well I'm sure you have heard it before but doing that is VERY bad for your heart and I am speaking from experience. Try to limit your fluid intake to the maximum 4 kilos between sessions, even 4 kilos is bad. I used to always remove 4 kilos and now 13 years later I am having heart problems. Take care and good luck.

- Epoman

Thanks, but like I tell them every time I go in, if I can keep my weight gain around 2 kilos a day, I am happy.  I know they would like 1 kilo or so, but it is just NOT happening.  I guess you can, and more power to you.  As I said before food, and drink has always ben a problem for me.  If I could have controlled it years ago, I would not have any problems at all.

As they say...life is a bxxxx and then you die.  I am not being morbid, but I am going to live my life as I see fit and take it as it comes.
Thanks again, take care, Randy in Palm Harbor, FL

EDITED: Fixed Quote Tag Error - Sluff, Moderator
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 09:56:18 PM by sluff » Logged
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2007, 01:45:48 AM »

- Epoman

Thanks, but like I tell them every time I go in, if I can keep my weight gain around 2 kilos a day, I am happy.  I know they would like 1 kilo or so, but it is just NOT happening.  I guess you can, and more power to you.  As I said before food, and drink has always ben a problem for me.  If I could have controlled it years ago, I would not have any problems at all.

As they say...life is a bxxxx and then you die.  I am not being morbid, but I am going to live my life as I see fit and take it as it comes.
Thanks again, take care, Randy in Palm Harbor, FL

EDITED: Fixed Quote Tag Error - Sluff, Moderator

I hear ya brother! It is your life and you got to do what makes you happy, I wasn't trying to preach to you just giving you some friendly advice. Advice not from a doctor, dietitian, or nurse but from a fellow patient who has lived it. Take care.  :)

- Epoman
Owner/Admin

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2007, 04:50:35 AM »

Well, all my sessions since then have been a-okay, thank God!  I am not sure that they took of the 6.2 that time, since I was due for dialysis the next day (my regular session).  So far I have been going in with 3 over (they adjusted my dry weight as well).
Thanks for all the caring thoughts.  How can I help but love the people on this site! :thx;

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2007, 05:10:03 AM »

Well, all my sessions since then have been a-okay, thank God!  I am not sure that they took of the 6.2 that time, since I was due for dialysis the next day (my regular session).  So far I have been going in with 3 over (they adjusted my dry weight as well).
Thanks for all the caring thoughts.  How can I help but love the people on this site! :thx;

I'm just glad you're doing alright after your scary experience. We do love you too! Bajanne. :grouphug;
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2007, 07:28:29 AM »

Glad to hear you are doing better. It has been my battle with the clinic about dry weight I quit smoking cigs and I know my weight has increased but the clinic wont change my dry weight so ever time I get someone different I have to argue with them to only take off what I gained or I will cramp it is a battle and it pisses me off.

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »