I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 10:31:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Fistula Spasms?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fistula Spasms?  (Read 5653 times)
angieskidney
Elite Member

« on: December 01, 2006, 06:59:45 AM »

Sometimes in dialysis my fistula will spasm with the needle in it. Does this happen to everyone? I am still relatively new at hemo (been on it only 15 months now) and only in the last 2 months has that been happening. The nurses can't tell me why but say it is normal. I want to know why though. I like to be informed and knowledgable. :thx;

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Panda_9

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 05:11:17 AM »

I know too much local can make it spasm. Not sure about anything else.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 05:51:16 AM »

I know too much local can make it spasm. Not sure about anything else.
too much local? Are you talking about that extra needle you Americans get to numb? We don't get that here.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Panda_9

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 02:25:29 AM »

Yeh thats what I meant. Didnt realise you dont use it. By the way.....Im Australian!!!
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 04:56:09 AM »

Yeh thats what I meant. Didnt realise you dont use it. By the way.....Im Australian!!!
Cool! Btw, I am Canadian :P

Today at dialysis it didn't spasm at all! I was so happy! The button hole is going well! Today it was already easier to cannulate me!  :2thumbsup;

My nurse was saying how the needle was sitting in the fistula could cause it to spasm. Like it was sucking against the wall? Does this sound right??

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2006, 03:25:43 PM »

Hubby's fistula used to spasm sometimes first when he started on dialysis.  Doesn't have any problems now.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 01:01:40 AM »

Hubby's fistula used to spasm sometimes first when he started on dialysis.  Doesn't have any problems now.
Ya they say once it becomes bigger it shouldn't happen so much .. well .. at least one of them said that. The other nurses all seem baffled which doesn't do much for my confidence in their care of me  ::)

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2006, 03:39:23 AM »

We have found that a lot of times you have to look after yourself and find out info yourself by doing research.  Some nurses are not open to having you tell them things they don't know while others appreciate any info you have.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
Panda_9

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 03:27:27 AM »

Cool! Btw, I am Canadian :P

Today at dialysis it didn't spasm at all! I was so happy! The button hole is going well! Today it was already easier to cannulate me!  :2thumbsup;

My nurse was saying how the needle was sitting in the fistula could cause it to spasm. Like it was sucking against the wall? Does this sound right??

If its sucking against the wall it usually sends the pressures up. All you need to do is reposition it and it should be fine. I have been having alot of trouble with sucking lately, I think I am going to need to create a new buttonhole as my pressure sits on 140-200 when the pump speed is only 225. I end up having to keep moving it. Use a rotating cannula to make it easier to reposition.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 04:54:00 AM »

Ya I have to rotate mine as well! This past Wed was the first time using a blunt in the arterial (the venous is not ready til next Friday tho after this one) but the blunt is different. The sharps at my unit you can turn without turning the whole blue flaps but the blunt you have to turn the flaps so I needed the nurses help. I didn't think I would need to rotate blunts .. but I guess with my fistula I do. Does anyone know if that is normal? Also I don't like the fact that my buttonhole nurse is NEVER there on Fridays. That makes me nervous that other nurses are also doing the buttonhole on me. But of course I direct them on angle ... but I still feel like I am such a n00b at buttonhole. Who am I to say how a nurse should cannulate my buttonhole?? I can't wait til I do it myself like Epoman has said I should! That time is coming soon :P At least there hasn't been any more spasms. They always freak me out lol

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »