I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 12:25:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  bacteria infection...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: bacteria infection...  (Read 5477 times)
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« on: November 11, 2006, 02:02:16 PM »

Back in July this year I went to the ER because I had many open sores all over my body and they hurt very bad and they appeared out of nowhere... they admitted me to the hospital and right away started blood work and such. My PTH levels were in the 1000's and they scheduled me for surgery to take out my parathyroids.  They did a biospy of one of my sores to verify it was calsifilaous(however u spell it), so they held off with the surgery. The biospy came back negative which was good so they cancelled the surgery, but the biospy showed I had some kind of bacteria infection, i dont remember if it had a specific name or not.  I am starting to get the sores again in the last few days and they are very painful.. I am going to be calling the dr on Monday to let them know, but i was just wondering if anyone else got this before?

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 06:43:03 PM »

Check your medications and the reactions you can get.  One of mine says you can bet boils from taking it.  However I do not remember which one it is.  Look them up on line in the MERCK manual or on line at Web MD.com.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 08:02:12 PM »

Ok I will do that... could I get them from the medicine even if I been on this medicine for years and this problem is new?

Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 09:30:18 PM »

My mother, year ago, started to have lots of boil-like things over her body.  They called it 'premphagus' (not sure of the spelling): the dermatologist said that it was because of the medications that she was taking.  Sounds like the same thing.  I will look up the word in Google.
Looked it up, and it is spelled 'pemphigus'. There is a lot on Google about it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 09:32:47 PM by bajanne2000 » Logged

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 09:55:34 PM »

Thanks, I will be sure to ask my doctor about my previous results too, see if its the same. Thanks again :)

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 06:56:27 PM »

Well the good news is, my previous results said I did not have  'pemphigus', and from what I have ead about it, it doesnt seem I have it this time either, the symptoms are different. With that being said, I dont know what is going on, but I keep getting more sores on my calves and ears, which sucks they hurt. I told my doctor, and I showed my PD nurse when I was there this last week... all they did was order me some pain meds (because they hurt) and will look at them at my next appoint in Dec. So they didnt seem to be alarmed, or worried... so I guess thats good? I dont know... im worried cuz they keep coming, so Ill find out in a few weeks when I go to my appt unless something drastic happens and I need to go to ER before then. (I pray not)... most of these sores just look like regular scrapes and cuts type of things, but the rest look like small circles, painful... there all painfaul...   >:(

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 08:28:38 PM »

Could you have a case of shingles?

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 01:32:26 AM »

Back in July this year I went to the ER because I had many open sores all over my body and they hurt very bad and they appeared out of nowhere... they admitted me to the hospital and right away started blood work and such. My PTH levels were in the 1000's and they scheduled me for surgery to take out my parathyroids.  They did a biospy of one of my sores to verify it was calsifilaous(however u spell it), so they held off with the surgery. The biospy came back negative which was good so they cancelled the surgery, but the biospy showed I had some kind of bacteria infection, i dont remember if it had a specific name or not.  I am starting to get the sores again in the last few days and they are very painful.. I am going to be calling the dr on Monday to let them know, but i was just wondering if anyone else got this before?
Sounds like Shingles (A lady had it in my dialysis unit so bad she had to go back to the hospital after it didn't go away for over a month!). Good thing it wasn't Calciphylaxis! (Is that the word you were looking for?)

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 05:13:08 AM »

My forearms have alot of open sores on them and only on the top sides. They don't really hurt unless I pick at them which I try not to do. I'm not sure what they are but they start out like a pimple. I didn't have a problem until I started cyclosporine.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 08:43:57 AM »

My forearms have alot of open sores on them and only on the top sides. They don't really hurt unless I pick at them which I try not to do. I'm not sure what they are but they start out like a pimple. I didn't have a problem until I started cyclosporine.

That's kind of what mind sound like. They start off looking like a little pimple, very small, or maybe a better way to describe it is a "goosebump" almost, since it's kind of smaller than a pimple would be.Then they open up, and depending where they are on my body, they hurt. I have some on my forearms, not the underside of my arms, just the top side, and those really don't hurt. Then I got some in each ear, those hurt, but probably hurt because when I dry my hair or lay downn i'm always putting pressure on or moving my ear. Then I have one on my back, that hurts, and the rest are on my calves from my knees down. Those hurt if I touch them or piuck at them, but otherwise there ok. Unfortunately I am not on cyclosproine and haven't been since 2004, so that most likely isn't the cause for me. It's weird though, kind of sounds like the same kind of  sores.

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 08:48:25 AM »

I don't know, but from what I have read on shingles from my google search, the symptoms are not the same as mine. Everywhere I read on shingles says you get tingling, and itching on one side of the body only (which I dont and didnt get) and it says usually the blisters show up on one side of the body in one area... again, not in my case. I guess we shall just wait and see what the doctor says when she looks at them. I go in for labs on Dec 4th and then back to see the doctor Dec 14th, however when I go in for my labs on the 4th, I am going to demand someone look at these sores then because I am worried about them.

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 09:13:40 PM »

I don't know, but from what I have read on shingles from my google search, the symptoms are not the same as mine. Everywhere I read on shingles says you get tingling, and itching on one side of the body only (which I dont and didnt get)
Ah okay. Because the lady in my dialysis unit was itchy all over with all these open sores. She had to be on antibiotics for over a month!

it says usually the blisters show up on one side of the body in one area... again, not in my case.
The lady I know with the Shingles had them ALL OVER! I guess things always are different for us with our immune systems not as good as healthy people .. that is what I have been told anyway ..

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 05:45:12 PM »

I don't know, but from what I have read on shingles from my google search, the symptoms are not the same as mine. Everywhere I read on shingles says you get tingling, and itching on one side of the body only (which I dont and didnt get)
Ah okay. Because the lady in my dialysis unit was itchy all over with all these open sores. She had to be on antibiotics for over a month!

it says usually the blisters show up on one side of the body in one area... again, not in my case.
The lady I know with the Shingles had them ALL OVER! I guess things always are different for us with our immune systems not as good as healthy people .. that is what I have been told anyway ..

Yah, your right... our bodies might react differently to something than a healthier person. I also have Lupus, so auto-immune disease's in themselves make other things show up oddly than healthier people... it might be shingles for all I know... I hope not, but I am demanding my dr look at them when I go on the 4th for labs. Ill keep ya updated when I find out something.  :thumbup; I would like to be able to help if anyone else has this problem too... early signs instead of having to deal with all these sores more and more popping up everyday! 

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 06:19:52 PM »

So when I went for labs on the 4th I told the PD nurse about the sores and showed him, and said I wanted the dr to see them. He called the dr on the phone and came back and said she called in pain meds for your sores. Ok great, but is she going to come look??? No, she will look at your monthly appt (28th), ugh.. ok. So Its almost the 28th and I keep getting more and more sores and they are so very painful.  :-[ They look kind of like a cigarette burn but of course there not... I take the vicodin at bedtime and it helps with the pain so I can sleep, but I dont take them during the day since I need to be alert and awake. I was hoping the dr would give me some antibiotic or something to get rid of the sores or help them go away, the PD nurse said itt looks like calcium deposits, but hes not a dr... My labs were good this month phos was 4.1 and PTH was in 100's.... everything looked good as far as labs go. Im just in so much pain and more and more sores are showing up and now starting to come on my face.  :banghead; :'( :'(

I just needed to vent I feel like i'm falling apart!

Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 07:59:06 PM »

I'm sorry, Angela.   :cuddle;  Could you get a family doctor or a dermatologist to look at your skin?

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2006, 09:24:27 AM »

Thanks :) Well by the time I find another doctor to look at them and get the appt, and get it on a day my parents can drive me, it will probably be next week, and I have my appt with my neph next week anyways.  :lol; So I shall suffer while I wait.

mallory

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2006, 09:46:19 AM »

Oooh, Angela, I'm sorry!  I hope you feel better.  I hope it isn't shingles, I had shingles last year and it was the worst thing I ever had.  I had the sores in a line that followed the nerve, down my leg from my waist clear to my ankle.  Whatever it is, I think your doctor should have seen you and taken care of it, not made you wait.

Sometimes the light’s all shinin’ on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it’s been.
                                  - Jerry Garcia
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2006, 09:52:08 AM »

So when I went for labs on the 4th I told the PD nurse about the sores and showed him, and said I wanted the dr to see them. He called the dr on the phone and came back and said she called in pain meds for your sores. Ok great, but is she going to come look??? No, she will look at your monthly appt (28th), ugh.. ok. So Its almost the 28th and I keep getting more and more sores and they are so very painful.  :-[ They look kind of like a cigarette burn but of course there not... I take the vicodin at bedtime and it helps with the pain so I can sleep, but I dont take them during the day since I need to be alert and awake. I was hoping the dr would give me some antibiotic or something to get rid of the sores or help them go away, the PD nurse said itt looks like calcium deposits, but hes not a dr... My labs were good this month phos was 4.1 and PTH was in 100's.... everything looked good as far as labs go. Im just in so much pain and more and more sores are showing up and now starting to come on my face.  :banghead; :'( :'(

I just needed to vent I feel like i'm falling apart!

Hang in there hon... I hope you get better soon. :grouphug;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »