I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 04:33:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Student Research again; Movement, Exercise
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Student Research again; Movement, Exercise  (Read 11005 times)
Jaybird

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2006, 09:33:54 PM »

Great ideas!  ;D

I like the idea of a kick ass dialysis chair. If you could build the machine into the chair that would rock. Have the buttons for monitoring built into the hand rests. (both of them because you dont know which arm will be incumbered). Also have the blood pressure machine hooked up to the chair and the controls put with the machines controls.  While your at making a nice chair, make it a massage chair... My back gets cramps halfway through dialysis sometimes. and It would feel good if someone rubbed it, or the chair.

I like the whole HDTV concept.. While your at it, have the machine run through the tv and have your stats scrolled along the bottom of the screen like they do for the stock market. it wouldnt be too hard.

There are soo many things I would like.. I might loose sleep over this!  ;)

-Jaybird
strateup

Another Day In the Life

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2006, 09:53:14 PM »

If I may ask, what are you trying to design?  How about an economical, comfortable dialysis chair with individual HDTV monitor (connected to cable or satellite) which also works with a built in computer, automated itch scratcher (because not all itches are in the back) to compensate for limited movement, specialized book/magazine stand for making reading with our one available hand more convenient, light switch, thermostat, call button, and telephone?  Is that too much to ask? ;-)
Oh man oh man oh man oh man oh man!!! THAT is what I want for Christmas!!!!!!  :2thumbsup;

I am sooooo sick and tired of not being able to get ahold of a nurse when I need as they are always out of ear shot and I am tired of never being able to reach my back to scratch it as if I move to much the needle in my arm might move and the arterial alarm goes off but siting that long against a plastic chair makes my back itchy!!

I also hate how in my unit we don't even have cable. Just the normal basic channels with bad reception on half and even worse when it rains!

I also hate how my dialysis machine screen is usually too far to push all the buttons when it alarms. I can only reach about half the screen.

ALso may I add PLEASE BETTER BP CUFFS!!!!! The ones that have a bar like the ones you buy from the drug store which makes it easy to put it on yourself with one arm! Instead of having to wait for a nurse to put the cuff on it would be nice to do it myself! On Monday the nurse put it on too lose and then my BP was reading high and I said, "That is not right" to which she said, "your BP is fine". She didn't readjust my cuff but instead ignored me!  When I moved my arm a few min later the cuff actually SLID DOWN MY ARM!

Thx ;) Hope my input is helpful!
Angie,   I have mastered the one handed application of a blood pressure cuff.  The trick is to put it on your forearm, stick the velcro, and slide it up your arm.  It takes a couple of tries to get it the perfect fit, but you get to practice three times a week for the rest of your life.               Keep Smilin     Steve
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 09:56:29 PM by strateup » Logged

Diagnosed ESRD 1982, Transplant 1994, Rejection 1 year out,  Started PD 1995, Peritonitis, Started Hemodialysis 1999, Switched to Home Hemodialysis 2010
Still Kickin A@@
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2006, 02:35:24 PM »

To acheive a realistic case study of what it truly means to be a Dialysis Patient, here's what I suggest you do:

1. Get yourself an easy chair that doesn't quite recline the way you like and pokes you in the back continuously.
2. Sit in said chair with one of your arms tied down with two painful needles inserted.
3. Stay put for three to four hours, depending on what treatment you're trying to replicate.
4. Four feet away place an elderly gentleman with terrible gas and a bad attitude who likes to shout phrases like, "p*ck your cabbage," or "Douche bags are tasty," continuously through the treatment.
5. Give elderly man a 13" diagonal TV and turn it up to full volume while tuned to some tacky novella.
6. Have someone playing a doctor come by, ask you how you're doing and then ignore everything you say.
7. Make sure at the 2 hour mark to have someone take a vice clamp, apply it to your right calf and tighten it as far as possible for as long as possible.
8. Repeat three times a week until a new kidney becomes available or you pass on.

The preceding may seem faceitous, but there's nuggets of truth scattered throughout.

OH MAN I LOVE THAT! Damn Stacy I wish you would post more  ;D ;D ;D I loved them all, but #4 had me LITERALLY LOL.

10 out of 10 for that post.  :thumbup;

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2006, 02:01:26 AM »

AND put a blood pressure cuff around your arm and have someone pump it up until you scream every 30 minutes! 

Then try and sleep........

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2006, 02:12:58 AM »

AND put a blood pressure cuff around your arm and have someone pump it up until you scream every 30 minutes! 

Oh ya .. sometimes when the cuff pumps .. does anyone else find it uncomfortable? I mean .. my cuff at home is not like that! I have no problem with it! But the one at dialysis .. damn it is annoyingly itchy and pinches and ... I just don't like it :(

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2006, 08:53:15 AM »

Oh ya .. sometimes when the cuff pumps .. does anyone else find it uncomfortable? I mean .. my cuff at home is not like that! I have no problem with it! But the one at dialysis .. damn it is annoyingly itchy and pinches and ... I just don't like it :(

Why not then take the BP cuff you have at home to your center and use that one. That's what I have done before.  :thumbup;

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2006, 12:53:30 PM »

Why not then take the BP cuff you have at home to your center and use that one. That's what I have done before.  :thumbup;
Well I can't use the cuff from the auto-BP machine I have at home as it is not detachable but I do have another cuff from when I used to do my BP manually before I bought the auto one from the drugstore. .. Nope I just checked it too ... I am looking for a cuff that can screw onto the machine at dialysis. None of mine at home separate from the rest.. :(

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2006, 03:32:46 PM »

Actually, I have a manual wrist one because I hated the automatic one at the clinic.   ;)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 07:05:50 PM by Rerun » Logged

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2006, 09:35:14 AM »

Did our researchers get lost in the maze of developing their ideas and project.?  How about an update?

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2006, 09:46:23 AM »

Yeah, I wonder.  I'll email them and ask!   ;)

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2006, 09:52:29 AM »

Yeah, I wonder.  I'll email them and ask!   ;)

I would love to know what they have come up with so far and give them a helping hand to modify things.  Muuuhuahahahaha!

Just kidding! :clap;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Designstudent

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2006, 09:43:48 PM »

hello everyone!
sorry for the long delay in replying.  we have been really busy,(on this project amongst other things), but we are at the end of this semester, we presented out final 'concept' to stryker medical and it went pretts well. we still have the first 6 weeks of next semester to nail down all the small details and make a model.  what we have so far are basically cubicle systems that can be customized, we also found that 'wiring' every cubicle with a pc and an lcd screen with bluetooth capability will provide alot of the entertainment needs, and are currently working on what would be the best way to navigate a computer interface with mostly one hand. we have also designed a new chair, although that came after the cubcle system so its not as far along, but i feel strongly about it.  right now we are preparing 'packets' (or booklets) of what we have done in this first semester, basically explaining the concepts and putting them all together.  these are being created on the computer so i will have a jpeg image of each page of my packet (we are doing separate packets for grading purposes), the question is what is the best way to show everyone? if i put them n a slideshow it would easily be over 10mb, so im thinking the bast way would be to upload all the pages in a zipped folder to an online filesharing source, such as rapidshare or tinypic or something.  if anyone has a reccomendation or preferred uplaoding site please let me know since i want you all to be able to see it.

ill post this update in all out posts in hopes that everyone gets brought up to speed!

thanks,
alan
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »