I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 04:19:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  anyone else cold?
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: anyone else cold?  (Read 21424 times)
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2006, 03:36:33 PM »

Wow I just received a heating blanket today, and took a 2 hour nap and actually fell asleep about an hour of that whew hoo.. did that feel good.  Holy heating blanket Batman.

Never had one before. It's the best thing since sliced bread. lol
tubes

Miss you so much Susie. Will always <3 you!

« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2006, 05:50:17 PM »

Like I said b4... COLD.....Love It ! ! !
Now that winter has kinda hit (somedays not so bad) I'm cold at my unit.  Ku-Razy  :urcrazy;

We get so damn cold becuz we CAN'T move.  Stuck in the freaking chair for 3 hrs, not able to move.  Those chairs need to have heated seats.  Can you imagine? ? Everyone having the heated seat on and the unit becoming unbearably hot.   :lol;
Anyways, I welcome the cold.  :welcomesign;  The other day the temp got into the high 80's to low 90's.  WTF ! ! !  It's November.... in Kansas ! !  !   :banghead;

I dont have a heating blanket.  I did when I was a teen and slept in the basement at parents house.  I would turn the blanket on to get it nice and warm. Then take a very hot shower.  Then I would go to bed and I'd be SO nice and toasty.  ;) :D ;D

"To be happy is the choice I wish to make in spite of the circumstances that are strewn in my path."

1996 - started incenter hemo
a few months later, started PD
2005 - started incenter hemo
AGAIN
  - on transplant list as of August 7, 2009.
2011/June - 15 years on "D"
Transplant - Tuesday October 18th 2011
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2006, 05:56:15 PM »

I got an electric blanket for a gift and I absolutely love it. 
I always have it set on high.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2006, 06:40:25 PM »

I have an electric throw blanket that I am going to keep on my recliner in my den/office so I can be war while I watch DVDS on my DVD player this winter.  I have been tempted to take it to dialysis and plug it in just to make a statement about the cold!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
nkviking75

« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2006, 08:21:38 AM »

Those chairs need to have heated seats.  Can you imagine? ? Everyone having the heated seat on and the unit becoming unbearably hot.   :lol;

You laugh, but there are days when I feel the heat leaching out of my body into the cold chair.  I need a blanket behind my back to keep the chair from chilling me.
Kitty Cat

Lila & Smudgie

« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2006, 04:45:58 PM »

I'm too relieved to see this discussion!! My husband, who along with some of you, B.D. (before dialysis) would have the air conditioning on so high we'd have frost on the windows is now soooo cold that in the summer we bicker over the air even being on. We finally came to a great compromise and now that winter is creeping around he wants the heat on most of the time when normally we wouldn't even discuss it. We've had a little taste of early fall here in the northeast this weekend so it's been a happy reprieve. I'm really liking the sound of these electric blankets & throws. I think I need to get one for him a.s.a.p.!!  ;D
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2006, 06:43:11 PM »

I broke down and kicked on the heater today, tomorrow i will go to Home Depot to see if i can find one that i can take room to room with me,  damn, it's going to be a long winter  :-\

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
mallory

« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2006, 11:09:00 AM »

I have an electric throw blanket that I am going to keep on my recliner in my den/office so I can be war while I watch DVDS on my DVD player this winter. I have been tempted to take it to dialysis and plug it in just to make a statement about the cold!

I have one of the electric throw blankets, too, it's really nice.  I used to turn up the heat in my house, but I was driving my sister crazy.  So now I use the blanket and I'm warm without making her miserable.

I know you weren't serious about taking the blanket to dialysis, but could you?  I don't know how you stand it sitting for three hours in the cold.  If you really could take one of those electric throw blankets, it would be so much more comfortable for you.

Sometimes the light’s all shinin’ on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it’s been.
                                  - Jerry Garcia
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2006, 12:07:58 PM »

I have a feeling I would get laughed out of the dialysis unit with my plug in and blanket. They would look like this... :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;     I would love to bring it, but I think plugging in too many things for the patients would blow the fuses on the place!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Mr. Ho Ho Ho

« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2006, 04:06:50 PM »

Buckeye,

Mr. Ho Ho Ho

« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2006, 04:13:17 PM »

Buckeye,

If you are cold all the time - I would have my thyroid checked - I was cold all the time and found out its came from my thyroid not working correctly - now I take a pill a day and I am not cold anymore. Just a idea - hope it helps.

Windywoo2u
tubes

Miss you so much Susie. Will always <3 you!

« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2006, 03:12:18 PM »

I know you weren't serious about taking the blanket to dialysis, but could you? I don't know how you stand it sitting for three hours in the cold. If you really could take one of those electric throw blankets, it would be so much more comfortable for you.

I know at my unit we cant have electric blankets.  I think they said it is a fire hazzard.
Too bad they dont make an electric blanket that runs on D batteries.   ;D  :lol;

"To be happy is the choice I wish to make in spite of the circumstances that are strewn in my path."

1996 - started incenter hemo
a few months later, started PD
2005 - started incenter hemo
AGAIN
  - on transplant list as of August 7, 2009.
2011/June - 15 years on "D"
Transplant - Tuesday October 18th 2011
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2006, 03:28:58 AM »

I know you weren't serious about taking the blanket to dialysis, but could you? I don't know how you stand it sitting for three hours in the cold. If you really could take one of those electric throw blankets, it would be so much more comfortable for you.

I know at my unit we cant have electric blankets.  I think they said it is a fire hazzard.
Too bad they dont make an electric blanket that runs on D batteries.   ;D  :lol;
I always wondered why they don't .... I have wondered that for years thinking it would be a great idea!!

I didn't know the dialysis unit would think it was a fire hazzard! I was thinking of getting one and have asked for it as a Christmas gift from my family .. but I never thought to ask my unit if there was any problem with bringing one in :(

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2006, 06:23:27 PM »

I know at my unit we cant have electric blankets.  I think they said it is a fire hazard.
Too bad they don't make an electric blanket that runs on D batteries.   ;D  :lol;
I always wondered why they don't .... I have wondered that for years thinking it would be a great idea!!

I didn't know the dialysis unit would think it was a fire hazzard! I was thinking of getting one and have asked for it as a Christmas gift from my family .. but I never thought to ask my unit if there was any problem with bringing one in :(

here's an idea -
http://www.brookstone.com/

Search for cargo pants.  They have rechargeable battery operated heating elements in the pockets and at the small of your back.  They also have a heated vest.  Too expensive for me, but I want some anyhow!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2006, 06:29:25 PM »

I want the heated fleece jacket.  I would probably wear it out in one winter!

lifenotonthelist.com

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2006, 03:26:00 AM »

ooh can I have this chair in dialysis :P http://www.brookstone.com/store/product.asp?pid=512467&wid=100&cid=59&sid=21012&search_type=subcategory&prodtemp=t2

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Panda_9

« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2006, 04:07:55 AM »

The leg part on that chair look awful. Might be alright to sit in for a short time, but not for hours!
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2006, 04:13:28 AM »

The leg part on that chair look awful. Might be alright to sit in for a short time, but not for hours!
The legs massage!! Woohoo!  :2thumbsup;

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2006, 06:33:24 PM »

my being cold is getting worse.
I'm absolutely freezing all the time.
can't stop shivering.
I will sit 6" in front of space heater with heat blowing on me and still be shivering.
feel like I'm going to die of hypothermiia.
it is awful to be so cold all the time.
seems like there'd be some way to get and stay warm.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2006, 06:47:08 PM »

OB I am colder this year than I ever have been, but for me I think it's my blood pressure meds. I'm not positive but it's not as bad when I skip my meds for a couple of  days.

Hope you get warmer soon.
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2006, 11:00:42 AM »

High levels of creatinine cause narrowing of the arteries, which in turn causes diminished circulation, and this results in dialysis patients feeling cold.  Anemia, which also affects dialysis patients, plus hypothyroidism, which is widespread among renal patients, also make people cold. Finally, there is uremic neurotoxicity which can also contribute to poor circulation and further coldness.
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2006, 11:51:56 AM »

I think if the workers would leave the a/c alone, we wouldn't be so cold  :twocents;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2006, 07:09:59 PM »

Sorry guys, I'm almost always too warm.  I like the fresh air, even in the winter.

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
mallory

« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2007, 10:16:48 AM »

my being cold is getting worse.
I'm absolutely freezing all the time.
can't stop shivering.
I will sit 6" in front of space heater with heat blowing on me and still be shivering.
feel like I'm going to die of hypothermiia.
it is awful to be so cold all the time.
seems like there'd be some way to get and stay warm.

Ohio Buckeye, I know what you mean.  I wear the slippers Rerun gave me for Christmas, have a heating pad behind me on the sofa, and a double fleece blanket over me and I'm still cold.  Have you tried using one of those electric throw blankets?  They're like an electric blanket but they're smaller.  I have one of those and it really does help, I need to get it out and use it this winter.

I hope you can find something, it is hard.  I have to go out and start my car 20 minutes before I have to go to work so I can stand it, or I shiver so much it's hard to drive.  It's awful!

Sometimes the light’s all shinin’ on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it’s been.
                                  - Jerry Garcia
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »