I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 09:20:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Why we call Australia OZ? / Kidney disease and apperance
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why we call Australia OZ? / Kidney disease and apperance  (Read 11348 times)
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« on: August 13, 2006, 06:28:33 AM »

Hello!!

Thank you its great to finally have somewhere i can chat to people who really understand.

Well a few of you were asking why we call Australia oz?? to tell you the truth i wouldn't have a clue!! ha ha I was told it has something to do with the world Aussie?? it sounds like oz??? ha ha i will try to ask around! ;)

BTW i wanted to know the state of everyone fistula... i have seen many other patients and (no offence) their vein looks all bumpy, and huge and not very attractive?? is this what happens after many years of dialysis... ? i would really like to know. i have been on dialysis for 2 and a bit years and you can hardly see it.. i would like to know if it will change??? I work in a industry were my appearance is important.. i know it might sound shallow, but being so young i am worried about the changes kidney disease could have..

Would like to know what you think.

Amanda
xx
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 06:43:04 AM »

This is my fistula, a little over 5 months old. I would think, by now, if you were going to see it, you would. Though I think too, it depends on how the fistula is being "stuck".

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 06:53:12 AM »

Thanks for the picture!! your fistulas isnt as big as some of the other people i ahve seen..

i guess the good side of it is... the bigger the vein the easier it is to find the vein.  :)

Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 07:01:03 AM »

Your welcome, and thanks for the compliment. You'd be surprised at certain people not finding that vein. There are 2 at my clinic now, I wont let near me with the needles.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 08:13:32 AM »

Wow that is a REALLY good pic of your fistula Joe Paul!!!

I have been trying to take a god pic of mine but it just seems like all everyone sees is the start that they don't stick the needle into ..

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 08:37:48 AM »

Just last dialysis day, I got a look at a guy who has been on dialysis for 9 years.  That thing on his arm is huge!!  You couldn't miss it with a cannon ball!  I don't have a fistula; I have a graft, and all that I have is keloids marking where I get stuck.

I think Australia is called Oz because that is how you guys pronounce your first syllable - Oz-tryl-yah!  I just love the Australian accent.  Crocodile Dundee was a big hit in my country.  We are very accustomed to the Australian accent because of the cricket commentaries, and because of the radio serials when I was young, though we used to think the people were British!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 08:49:54 AM by bajanne2000 » Logged

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 11:17:16 AM »

I've seen some woman over the years use the upper leg instead of the arm for placement of the a/v fistula.

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
deej

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 11:31:46 AM »

I´ve had my fistula in use for a year and a half and have no bumps or lumps at all. Thank God  ::). Just marks where they stick me. My doctors said that it all depends on the vein. So keep squeezing that ball  ;D.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave
safely in a well preserved body, but rather
to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
"...holy shit...what a ride!"
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 02:19:24 PM »

Angie:
OUCH! That looks painful!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006, 02:29:59 PM »

wow thanks forr the replys and the photos

i will try to take a pic of my arrm tonight!!!
kevno

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2006, 03:00:56 PM »

Not much point in taking a pic of my arm the fistula is only about 2 inches long now, had it in since 1980. Plus no bumps on it, just a scar from my wrist to my shoulder. Where the Surgeons tried, and failed to restart it >:(

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Rusty

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2006, 07:21:50 PM »

Not much point in taking a pic of my arm the fistula is only about 2 inches long now, had it in since 1980. Plus no bumps on it, just a scar from my wrist to my shoulder. Where the Surgeons tried, and failed to restart it >:(
Damn, I thought mine was old.  I've had it since 1985 and it's ugly but it still pulls 450.  It's in my lower arm and I cut the top 5 inches off of athletic socks and wear it as a sleeve to protect the aneurisms.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 05:25:28 AM by Rusty » Logged

Lean into it and keep on truckin'
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2006, 10:25:35 PM »

Mine is about a year old, but it was only used about 2 months and then they decided to do a fistula gram and blew it out.  The Radiologist saved it with a stint, but they had to put the catheter back in my chest so now I've got them by the balls.  They are not using my fistula until my catheter falls out.  They do not give me any shit about it either.  The way I see it, I'll use the fistula for the rest of my life, why push it.  Use the catheter while it is there.

Back to your question.... mine is pretty big with a pseudo aneurysm but no one says anything.

kevno

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2006, 11:05:58 PM »

I am like Rerun :-\ (OUCH! That hurt to say that ;D) Will only let the nurses use the caths in my neck, the two that are in now have been in since October 2003. Only trouble is I can not get a pump speed of more than 250 more often than not, the speed is less than that.

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2006, 11:19:00 PM »

Mine is about a year old, but it was only used about 2 months and then they decided to do a fistula gram and blew it out. 

Woah! That can happen?? Because of the problems with my fistula I am now scheduled for a Fistulogram for Aug 21st! Should I be worried?? I want to stay on top of things!  :-\

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2006, 02:57:01 AM »

I have had a fistulagram a couple of times and all went well...... there are rick with anything you do... but i'm sure you will all go okay :)
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2006, 03:44:13 AM »

Thank you! I can't help but be scared of things I haven't yet been through. You would think by now I would have been through it all already  ::)

I will post how it goes ;)

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Panda_9

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2006, 05:35:01 AM »

I would say most of us pronounce it sort of like Oz-Tral-ya and then you've got Aussie, which is pronounced "Ozzie", and thus you have "OZ".

My fistula is pretty big but it looks more like a muscle than a bulging vein since the aneurysm reduced in size. I have a nasty scar though.

What is a fistula gram? Is that like an angiogram?
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2006, 06:06:57 AM »

Mine is about a year old, but it was only used about 2 months and then they decided to do a fistula gram and blew it out. 

Woah! That can happen?? Because of the problems with my fistula I am now scheduled for a Fistulogram for Aug 21st! Should I be worried?? I want to stay on top of things!  :-\

I have had a couple of them and had no problem.  They will take a look to see whats going on with your fistula.  Any narrowing etc.  Being that you are hard  to stick make sure to ask them for a copy of one of the x-rays.   That way you can show the x-ray to the those that stick you and it should greatly help them out to see just what your fistula looks like and where the best spot is to stick it.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2006, 08:46:30 AM »

I have had a couple of them and had no problem.  They will take a look to see whats going on with your fistula.  Any narrowing etc.  Being that you are hard  to stick make sure to ask them for a copy of one of the x-rays.   That way you can show the x-ray to the those that stick you and it should greatly help them out to see just what your fistula looks like and where the best spot is to stick it.

Oh wow! That is an excellent idea! I just hope they will comply!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Panda_9

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2006, 05:30:11 PM »

Helloooo whats a fistulagram?
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2006, 05:35:40 PM »

A fistulagram is where they do a  x-ray study of your fistula. It is used to detect problems such as a clots or narrowing area in the fistula and vein.  They inject a dye and take x-rays to see how the dye is flowing in the fistula.  If an area is narrowing or there is a clot they can stick a wire with a balloon into it and expand the narrow area or break up any clots.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2006, 06:04:21 PM »

So...tell me where does the dye go. Do your kidneys filter it out??? Good luck on me, they are not filtering squat lately. So where does the dye go?  Has anyone asked the doctor or are we all going to glow in the dark when we ar 50 or so from dye?  I had so many IVPs done as a kid , at least two a year, I am not surprised the kidneys were having problems. Now they are avoiding IVPs in kidney patients.

Hmmmmm I will probably glow when I am 50, if I make it the next seven years!
Preglowing over here.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Panda_9

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2006, 07:35:00 PM »

Thanks for clearing that up. Cant say Ive ever had one. We have dopplers to check for narrowing and blood flow. The dye passes out through the bowel over several days. Im not sure if all dyes are the same though.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2006, 07:45:04 PM »

A fistulagram is where they do a  x-ray study of your fistula. It is used to detect problems such as a clots or narrowing area in the fistula and vein.  They inject a dye and take x-rays to see how the dye is flowing in the fistula.  If an area is narrowing or there is a clot they can stick a wire with a balloon into it and expand the narrow area or break up any clots.
Oh then I may have had one before! Because they stuck something in and someone said it must have been this balloon thing. It helped this one as I did have blockage. But there seems to be more problems. Hopefully they can get this working better with this next fistulogram but if they see nothing then there will be nothing they can do to make it better I guess :(

to kitkatz... I have no kidneys to filter the dye out :(
Thanks for clearing that up. Cant say Ive ever had one. We have dopplers to check for narrowing and blood flow. The dye passes out through the bowel over several days. Im not sure if all dyes are the same though.
Don't sometimes they give you someting to make you .. uh ... "go" because of how our only way for getting the dye out is through the bowels??
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 07:47:17 PM by angieskidney » Logged

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »